Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 29, 2024, 01:52:53 am

Who's to blame?

Started by Dr. Starcs, September 25, 2016, 07:44:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: jm on September 25, 2016, 11:58:23 am
The defense was horrible. I can't even remember how many long runs we allowed. They had atleast 3 long touchdown runs that went untouched.
Our offense did have about 500 yards with several time consuming drives. We should win that game if we have any kind of defense. I remember the fumble at the goal line and being stopped on 4 straight runs just like everyone else, but those issues don't get you beat; it is allowing the opposition to score every time that things don't go perfectly or forced to face any kind of adversity that causes us to lose.

It was a total team effort, score and put more pressure on them. Stop them and let your offense win it, seems simple, doesn't it??

BigoBoys

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 25, 2016, 11:49:33 am
It is one of the many factors that should be scrutinized!

Which is the point I have been making for some time - did you see it then?
You seem to minimize a road win against a ranked out of conference opponent.  Which of last year's final four team's schedule models what you are looking for? 

This is a team that BB likes to put on the field.  The play calls belong to him.  This is his type football.  He is 100 percent responsible for this team, 100 percent. 

Not only do we have an in-experienced O-line but on the goal line, we line up to where the O-line not only has to ram into the A&M Defensive line but also the linebackers, safeties and corners, in any scheme, all 11 defenders.  The great o-lines of the Green Bay Packers wouldn't stand much chance moving all 11 defenders back a bit.  They would get killed too, just like we did.  Idiots

This scheme might be explained dozens of different ways but I doubt like hell the defensive players on the A&M team confused themselves with all that horse darn.  They just thought, Arkansas is gonna run the ball right behind the bulk of that line and try to push it in there.  So we will just throw ourselves right in there and see if our push is better than theirs.  Right away they understand that its 11 defenders against 10 offensive pushers cause the QB isn't likely to get in the fray.  So 11 on 10 plus we have more stars and they should account for something, more experience on D than they do on O so that should account for something.  I mean a group of 4th graders could reason this out and realize they likely have the advantage. 

There is winning and then winning with style.  There is losing and then losing with ignorance.  Remember what the brain dead Florida player said in an interview  a few years ago.  I am sure his coaches were discussing this in his presence and he was so stupid he repeated it on national television.  Sure, we know what Nutt will do.  He'll run it and run it and though he isn't getting anywhere running the ball, he'll just run it some more.  WASH, RINSE, REPEAT

ricepig

Quote from: 12247 on September 25, 2016, 12:12:46 pm
This is a team that BB likes to put on the field.  The play calls belong to him.  This is his type football.  He is 100 percent responsible for this team, 100 percent. 

Not only do we have an in-experienced O-line but on the goal line, we line up to where the O-line not only has to ram into the A&M Defensive line but also the linebackers, safeties and corners, in any scheme, all 11 defenders.  The great o-lines of the Green Bay Packers wouldn't stand much chance moving all 11 defenders back a bit.  They would get killed too, just like we did.  Idiots

This scheme might be explained dozens of different ways but I doubt like hell the defensive players on the A&M team confused themselves with all that horse darn.  They just thought, Arkansas is gonna run the ball right behind the bulk of that line and try to push it in there.  So we will just throw ourselves right in there and see if our push is better than theirs.  Right away they understand that its 11 defenders against 10 offensive pushers cause the QB isn't likely to get in the fray.  So 11 on 10 plus we have more stars and they should account for something, more experience on D than they do on O so that should account for something.  I mean a group of 4th graders could reason this out and realize they likely have the advantage. 

There is winning and then winning with style.  There is losing and then losing with ignorance.  Remember what the brain dead Florida player said in an interview  a few years ago.  I am sure his coaches were discussing this in his presence and he was so stupid he repeated it on national television.  Sure, we know what Nutt will do.  He'll run it and run it and though he isn't getting anywhere running the ball, he'll just run it some more.  WASH, RINSE, REPEAT

Wow, you seem to be putting a little more effort in your "realist" posts, paragraphs and everything!

Dr. Starcs

I just can't blame the offense the most. 500 yards of offense is typically good enough to win a game, of course the turnovers were killer.

I can't get over the poor defensive effort and execution (lack of) in the 4th qtr.

Our OOC schedule this year is not the problem.  Our overall talent is not the problem.  Our in-experienced players is very little of the problem.  Our coaching is the problem.  Coaches talk a lot about giving ourselves the best chance to win.  Do you really believe running the ball into that scheme time after time gives us the best chance to win?  It kills morale, it instills doubt, it looks terrible on national TV.  It is not horrible to lose if you truly did give yourself the best opportunity to win and just couldn't get it done.  This A&M team may have been a TD better than us, but not the embarrassing ass kicking better than us that we endured. 

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on September 25, 2016, 12:16:46 pm
I just can't blame the offense the most. 500 yards of offense is typically good enough to win a game, of course the turnovers were killer.

I can't get over the poor defensive effort and execution (lack of) in the 4th qtr.

Really? the defense only scored 3 points on 12 attempts inside the 10?

They could have a thousand yards of total offense and that mean nothing if you don't get that final 5-10 yards.

Our defense had its own issues last night, but the offense blew it in the red zone time after time.

Grumpypenguin

We only lost this game because the middle of our defense sucked.

Dr. Starcs

HH, 24 points with 500 yards of offense, and could've added two fgs there to score 30.

Offense was not the biggest problem by any means.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: parrishw on September 25, 2016, 08:21:27 am
Definition of insanity
The Arkansas offensive coordinator calling run play after run play against 8 and 9 Texas A&M defenders in the box inside the five yard line
Not once, not twice, for a total of 11 times in two separate scoring opportunities and turned it over on downs on the second opportunity

I'll have to admit that I was more than a little puzzled by those calls.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Doing the same crap on the goaline play after play and expecting a different result 50%
Fumbling the ball  and not playing gap control. 50%
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

HogimusMaximus

Sivad

I blame Chavis. And an extremely fast and talented A&M team.
Bet a lot of teams this season will be doing the same.

Bubba's Bruisers

I blame A$M for being a better team.  This why we lost.  We weren't as good.  No shame in that.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

WorfHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 25, 2016, 01:45:23 pm
I blame A$M for being a better team.  This why we lost.  We weren't as good.  No shame in that.

The shame is being their whipping boys in the SEC. 0-4  :'( :puke:

RazorPiggie

Quote from: LJHOG on September 25, 2016, 09:07:44 am
Uncommon Talent 100% who have one thing in common.  They weren't offered by top-tier schools.

Wow, just wow

jm

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on September 25, 2016, 12:26:12 pm
Really? the defense only scored 3 points on 12 attempts inside the 10?

They could have a thousand yards of total offense and that mean nothing if you don't get that final 5-10 yards.

Our defense had its own issues last night, but the offense blew it in the red zone time after time.

I guess it just depends on your opinion of which is worse. I feel better about 500 yards of offense than I do about giving up numerous 90+ yard drives. The red zone issues that we had seem to be much easier to correct than the no hope defense that we played in this specific game.

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

JenksHawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on September 25, 2016, 07:44:27 am
For last nights loss, without singling out an individual player? Put a % on it.

Defense 30%,
Dan Enos 25%
O-Line 20%
Robb Smith 15%
Bret Bielema 10%

Is there an option for "no one"? We lost to a very good team playing in their backyard.  We got screwed out of a TD on the instant replay, Williams gets tackled at the 2 on the long run and we don't punch it in, and loses the ball on the other one.  Couple of bounces the other way and we might win 35 - 14.  I don't blame anyone - it's a tough game, we played well, just made too many mistakes to pull the upset.

Valleysports

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

thefisher

21 points off of turnovers   50%

Penalty killing drives the Hogs committed  20%

Penalties that kept A&M drives alive 20%   
Recall that it was going to be 4th down when the late hit/targeting penalty was called.

All other issues 10%
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Jonteviosk

Weird thing is Texas A n M and their history is they will lose 3-4 games before the end of the year. That is their Yearly pattern...Hot start slow finish. They lose to Bama and Tenn...They also lose to one or both Miss schools. I will admit they are better than us but their not a true top 10 team by the end of the year...Our offense will get better as the year goes along...but our defense was supposed to be out strength...They managed to make Knight look like the second coming of Manziel. Oh well we might climb to 7 wins this year.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Jonteviosk on September 25, 2016, 05:04:34 pm
Weird thing is Texas A n M and their history is they will lose 3-4 games before the end of the year. That is their Yearly pattern...Hot start slow finish. They lose to Bama and Tenn...They also lose to one or both Miss schools. I will admit they are better than us but their not a true top 10 team by the end of the year...Our offense will get better as the year goes along...but our defense was supposed to be out strength...They managed to make Knight look like the second coming of Manziel. Oh well we might climb to 7 wins this year.

I will be surprised if aTm scores much at all against Alabama. They gave up 421 passing yards to Chad Kelly, but he is an accurate passer. Knight isn't at all. He needs an easy target.

Alabama is not equipped with a great passer, and they might struggle to score on the Aggies for that reason. That seems like a close one.

I can see the Aggies having trouble with Ole Miss, but they also should run all over them. They won't face anybody who brings a solid defense + good quarterback. Certainly not Tennessee. The Vols don't match up well either. This might be the Ags' year, and that is cosmically unfair.

Arkansas was virtually dead even with Texas A&M last season. It's really disheartening to see a team like Texas A&M have an assistant coaching carousel, disastrous mishandling of young quarterbacks, offseason chaos, and actually make this much progress from season to season. They are bad in the secondary, and their QB is erratic throwing the ball, but hell -- they massively outpaced Arkansas in the offseason.

They are starting an offensive line with two juco transfer tackles and three interior guys who never started before, second-year sophomore, redshirt freshman, true freshman. Heck, they had one guy who ever started more than one game on the major college level. Arkansas had three. Their position coach is a total kookball who was blackballed out of the NFL. They needed a late addition, and he was available. We have a guy we were excited to get. And we'd trade Olines with them straight up, no hesitation.

How did they swing this from an OT game to a blowout win? It really felt like it had more to do with them than with us.
[CENSORED]!

Oklahawg

I am going to toss this out for everyone to pick apart: the staff prepped the first four games during spring and summer skull sessions and this was the conclusion. That is, after careful study and lengthy consideration, we crafted a gameplan that allowed the first four games to be schemed in tandem and the A&M game is the end product.

There was a determined effort, therefore, to tie the similarities of La Tech, TCU, and A&M (Texas State is a bonus, a warm-up round for all the backups we played...oh, wait) together into a multi-week expansion of the defensive playbook.

What went wrong:
1. two counted-on DBs transfer late in the process (Sykes and Floyd)
2. two counted-on DBs out for the year with an injury (Tutt and Richardson, the latter a HUGE loss)
3. back-up LB plans went poof and suddenly we are back where we usually are - waiting on true frosh to become safe enough to see the field without it becoming a pant-soiling gaffe-ridden moment
4. usable depth at LB is still program-wrecking weak - and obvious options fans might come up were moved early to other positions (Jackson to FB, Ramsey to DE). Safeties who might move down to a hybrid OLB/SS spot ala Zac Painter or Tony Bua or Jerico Nelson are already on the field at safety
5. depth at DE has not translated into pressure on the QB
6. Ramsey has flashed at DE but doesn't play much; Roessler plays a lot at DE and I'm not sure that he deserves as many reps as he gets - seems to be non-existent in the flow of the game (I'm not yelling for him to make a play he doesn't make, or cheering a great play...just...nothing)

Can't say everything has flopped:
1. Agim moving inside has been a good move, providing a meaningful substitute alongside fellow rookie Capps (missing Saturday - you wonder if he might have been on the field for a push on the QB runs and been in a position to stop them)
2. Pulley has grown by leaps and bounds, and Collins is still pretty solid at CB. Too bad Collins graduates about the time I feel we have a decent combo
3. Ledbetter has had some good moments and I'm not calling the Triangle Part Two a disaster because the plays have been executed so quickly the scheme hasn't really had the chances it had LATE two years ago (ie, quick-play offenses don't give it the shot that even OM and MS State will provide later)

Somewhat related: the punt return game.

1. Cornelius hurt for much of the year...so we have no back-up plan? Or,
2. we play so many defensive starters on the return game we opt for fair catches to minimize fatigue and injury risks. And,
3. when you are up big (TX State) you get the fair catches in space, but many PR moments have had fair catches in a crowd - is it fair to be critical of little return yardage?

That punt return team (and coverage team) tells me a lot about the defensive depth chart - it isn't fixed yet. They determined early in the fall that the rookies weren't ready yet so they populated the punt teams with starters out of necessity. The special teams tend to get set early in fall camp, if I understand correctly. There aren't enough reps throughout the year for a lot of tinkering. Or, there was hope that the extra DBs (now hurt or transferred out) and the non-existent LB backups (Hackett, Eugene, Williams, plus rookies) would be enough. Obviously, some of the LBs are on special teams but not all. Kendrick Jackson couldn't help? What about those back-up TEs?

I am inclined to think that there was a long-term plan that went awry and replacement parts for those broken or missing have yet to get up-to-speed.

That does not address the offensive situation. Biggus has me convinced that the OL situation is a product of too much tinkering and too little development. And, the anticipated WR strength has never quite materialized, as only Hatcher has played four games as anticipated. And, the RBs will remain "promising" until they accept that not every play will be a HR. Instead, take 2 yards and punish a tackler when that is what is available. Let the OL learn from the results vs improvising or failing to pace the play in a way that allows the OL to know where they can improve.

And Austin Allen looks like the best UA QB of the SEC era, despite all of this.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Biggus Piggus

I guess you scared everybody off, Jon.
[CENSORED]!

Valleysports

So glad I finally checked in here - this is some funny stuff.

cmphill87

People seem to forget John Chavis is one of the winning-est D-Coordinators in the conference. When Tennessee was good with Fulmer, you can blame Chavis. When LSU was good, you can blame Chavis. TAMU's sudden rise, you can blame Chavis.

That being said, Our offense did not play to it's strengths and there were several questionable play calls on the part of Dan Enos, especially inside the 5. Beilema hired him, so ultimately CBB should take the blame. I honestly can't blame any players in that one.....except Coley on targeting. Unless you don't think it was targeting, either way, it changed the momentum and there way no turning back.
-Chrisky

Razorback de Nosferatu

I don't agree with folks who immediately want to toss out the word "talent" to explain what happened last Saturday.

As has become typical with this game, the Hogs entered Jerry's World and seemingly left their minds at the door.  Opportunity after opportunity to win that game passed them by.  For 3/4 of that game I saw one heck of a (sloppy) battle, and I think the Hogs had the better QB.

And if there WAS a talent gap, so be it.  Lesser talented teams beat so-called superior teams all the time.  For the fourth or fifth year in a row, the Hogs went down to Dallas and couldn't get out of their own way, and A&M was too good to not go for the kill.  That has to at some point fall on the coaches.

70% execution
30% coaching/play calling

carolinahogger

Recruiting 25%
Coaching 25%
Dr Starcs 50%

tbhogfan

Team failing to execute 100%
Go Hogs!

HogimusMaximus

We just arent as good as the Aggies.  Going to be lucky to win 5 this year.

carolinahogger

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on September 30, 2016, 03:34:44 pm
We just arent as good as the Aggies.  Going to be lucky to win 5 this year.

We aren't as good as the Aggies, but we will win about 8 including a bowl.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on September 25, 2016, 07:44:27 am
For last nights loss, without singling out an individual player? Put a % on it.

Defense 30%,
Dan Enos 25%
O-Line 20%
Robb Smith 15%
Bret Bielema 10%
Defense 20%
Dan Enos 20%
O-line 20%
Robb Smith 20%
Bret Beilema 20%
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Aggies were better than us but not as much better as the score indicated.  The final score indicated the difference in talent in the coaching staff far more than it did talent in the players.

Valleysports

Quote from: 12247 on September 30, 2016, 06:27:06 pm
Aggies were better than us but not as much better as the score indicated.  The final score indicated the difference in talent in the coaching staff far more than it did talent in the players.

Oh I know what that is - it's a Moral Victory right?

Oklahawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 30, 2016, 09:49:43 am
I guess you scared everybody off, Jon.

Nary a confirmation, or even distracting post ("red ball...") totally unrelated to the primary message (this was a single defensive game plan for four games, and it failed).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Jonteviosk

YNNNNNNNNNNNNN The biggest problem with the D against A &M Was two fold...Too many big plays can be remedied by showing more discipline which only comes with practice and reps...Also our consistent inability to keep mobile QBs contained in the pocket. Not just Knights ability to run but ability to extend plays. Offense is getting better just like last year only last year we were 2-4 not 4-1. So once loss doesn't a season make. Prolly lose to Bama although I want to take our shot after all were in Fayetteville. We could easily beat both LSU and Florida both one dimensional. We will beat Mizz and Auburn. We usually one way or another split with the Miss schools. Would be 9-3 with shot at 10 with bowl game...I am basing this on the last 2 seasons consistent improvement as the year went on. If we go on a long winning streak might still be in SEC hunt. Could also lose 4 or 5 is the SEC after all. Lets see how we fair against #1. Alabama before we throw in the towel.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.