Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2 Cents Worth

Started by Rzback, September 25, 2016, 07:16:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzback

Licking my wounds. Last night it was obvious we don't have as many 4 & 5 star players (bigger, faster, stronger, smarter, more athletic, etc.) nor do we have smarter better coaches. Until we recruit equally with Bama, LSU, A&M, Georgia, Florida, etc. and/or have coaches that can do more with less like Petrino, Freeze, Petersen (at Boise) etc., we will remain in the bottom half of the SEC. I'm thinking we might be a better fit for the ACC, Pac 12, or even the Big 8 where the schedule would not be as brutal week in and week out. Things just aren't what they used to be when we were in the old SWC and only had to play a couple of powerhouses each year. Fire away...
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

hogcard1964

How come we were really good in 2010 and 2011 and now we're just average?

KCRazorbackfan

I agree; last night Hogs fans found out just how NOT GOOD a lot of different things are - run game (3 and out sucks), run defense, pass defense.  The Hogs have guys that can catch the ball, quit focusing on the damn run so much and turn AA loose.  😡😡😡😡
Life took me to Central Florida, but I'll always be a Razorback.

fourpeat

A friend of mine and I were talking about this a couple years before A&M came to the SEC.  We agreed that if A&M or UT ever comes to the SEC, watch out!  They will own Texas high school recruiting!  Think about all the great athletes that come through Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio and all the other teams surrounding College Station.  We are just now seeing what we were talking about.  A&M is just in the early stages of collecting 4-5 star athletes.  If they win the SEC west, you can expect their recruiting classes to advance to the 'ridiculous'  level.  That of course is when they start dominating like you've never seen!  CBB has to get much more aggressive in recruiting than what he's doing now.
Never explain yourself!  Your friends don't require it, and your enemies won't believe you anyway.

RazorWhacker

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 25, 2016, 07:22:12 am

Because we had a coach who was fantastic at coaching but, unfortunately was a horrible human being.

ricepig

We weren't, did we win any championships, isn't that all that matters?

HighcountryHog

Coaching lacks the ability to make changes.  That's my 2 cents worth.  Will start calling him Bert now.
no bumps, no fat chicks

al_pigcino

Less with more like Freeze?  He's had multiple top 5 recruiting classes. Peterson played one game a year, the bowl. And Petrinos wins in his 20-5 years?  Only 3 or 4 came against above .500 teams.

ricepig

Quote from: HighcountryHog on September 25, 2016, 08:41:50 am
Coaching lacks the ability to make changes.  That's my 2 cents worth.  Will start calling him Bret now.

I'm sure he'll appreciate that.

hogcard1964

Quote from: ricepig on September 25, 2016, 08:33:54 am
We weren't, did we win any championships, isn't that all that matters?

So we've never been good?

ricepig

LJHOG

You know why.  We fell into a QB with an arm and Arkansas produced some actual talent then.  And yes it is obvious we recruit(sign) mostly players which are Alabama, Fl, aTm, Texas, LSU, etc rejects.

hogcard1964

Quote from: LJHOG on September 25, 2016, 09:05:55 am
You know why.  We fell into a QB with an arm and Arkansas produced some actual talent then.  And yes it is obvious we recruit(sign) mostly players which are Alabama, Fl, aTm, Texas, LSU, etc rejects.

We've had excellent quarterbacks the last two seasons.  Was Petrino that much of a better recruiter than Bret?

clutch

Quote from: Rzback on September 25, 2016, 07:16:46 am
Licking my wounds. Last night it was obvious we don't have as many 4 & 5 star players (bigger, faster, stronger, smarter, more athletic, etc.) nor do we have smarter better coaches. Until we recruit equally with Bama, LSU, A&M, Georgia, Florida, etc. and/or have coaches that can do more with less like Petrino, Freeze, Petersen (at Boise) etc., we will remain in the bottom half of the SEC. I'm thinking we might be a better fit for the ACC, Pac 12, or even the Big 8 where the schedule would not be as brutal week in and week out. Things just aren't what they used to be when we were in the old SWC and only had to play a couple of powerhouses each year. Fire away...

Your argument lost credit at the less with more phase. Freeze less with more? Really? I didn't realize top 5 classes were considered inferior talent.

I won't even get into the fact that CBB has one of the highest numbers of players in the NFL out of all coaches in college football. He wasn't pulling in top 10 classes there either.

sigpooie

something tells me Long is going to need another 30 million to fix this. We are middle of the pack again,, might make 3rd if all the other teams we play loose their fastest players. But now I'm pretty sure we lose to bama, miss and LSu. So 4th or 5th for this year.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: sigpooie on September 25, 2016, 09:11:24 am
something tells me Long is going to need another 30 million to fix this. We are middle of the pack again,, might make 3rd if all the other teams we play loose their fastest players. But now I'm pretty sure we lose to bama, miss and LSu. So 4th or 5th for this year.
I think A and M would have beaten the dog crap out of LSU if they played today. A and M front 7 would have dominated LSU's one dimension offense. I'm not impressed with LSU.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: clutch on September 25, 2016, 09:09:54 am
Your argument lost credit at the less with more phase. Freeze less with more? Really? I didn't realize top 5 classes were considered inferior talent.

I won't even get into the fact that CBB has one of the highest numbers of players in the NFL out of all coaches in college football. He wasn't pulling in top 10 classes there either.

Because of 1 bad loss at the Death Star?  I don't like Long bc he's can be a jerk to fans and media, but to lay this on BB is Aggieish.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Pig In The City

Quote from: KCRazorbackfan on September 25, 2016, 07:25:54 am
I agree; last night Hogs fans found out just how NOT GOOD a lot of different things are - run game (3 and out sucks), run defense, pass defense.  The Hogs have guys that can catch the ball, quit focusing on the damn run so much and turn AA loose.  😡😡😡😡
Our OL just isn't very good right now. Neither is our play calling.

PorkRinds

Did you watch LSU play this year yet? Their offense is terrible.

JOKERHOG

nail meets hammer!  This is very simple whether people want to admit it or not
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

onebadrubi

You can replace auburn from 10 with A&M this year (not saying A&M and Knight will be Cam and auburn), but basically what you are saying is still capable!  After bama, what game do we not have a good chance of winning?  Ole Miss, history tells us we play them well, LSU we have their number, Florida at home will be a good game... Sooooo to compare a year in which you are 4 weeks in to two of the best years of razorback football in the last 25+.

Look, by your comment it's obvious what you are alluding too.  Keep the stupid crap down in the politics forum. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: RazorWhacker on September 25, 2016, 08:33:06 am
Because we had a coach who was fantastic at coaching but, unfortunately was a horrible human being.

He also was lacking any defensive recruits here.  Something people who bring him up will NEVER bring up, because it has haunted this program for years after his departure.

Medic821

My two cents worth haters comming out of the wood work.  IMHO.

onebadrubi

One loss with a first year QB and a young/new O line and you think these type of comments have merit?  Man no wonder this world is a disaster, look at the level of intelligence the source behind all of these stupid comments. 

woodhog14

In 2010 the SEC didn't have aTm...and Ole Miss and State were not as near as good as they have been lately.
Ole Miss was 1-7 in SEC play
State was 3-5 in SEC play
We still lost to Bama, who finished 5-3 in SEC play

In 2011 the SEC didn't have aTm...
Ole Miss was 0-8 in SEC play
State was 1-7 in SEC play
Auburn was 4-4 in SEC play
We got smoked by the two best SEC teams by a combined score of 79-31.

hog19911

In 2010 the West was stronger than ever. 4 elite teams beating up on each other.

Now days LSU is in the tank, MSU sucks again, Auburn is spiraling out of control and A'M usually implodes.

Last year the second best team in the West got whipped by Memphis, Shutout by Florida and lost to a 5-3 Arkansas team that had lost to Toledo and T Tech.

Plus Petrino beat A'M in a bowl.

To answer your question we were good because we had a great coach. He's proving that once again being ranked in the top 5, as we were when he coached here.

Styflin

Quote from: woodhog14 on September 25, 2016, 11:29:04 am
In 2010 the SEC didn't have aTm...and Ole Miss and State were not as near as good as they have been lately.
Ole Miss was 1-7 in SEC play
State was 3-5 in SEC play
We still lost to Bama, who finished 5-3 in SEC play

In 2011 the SEC didn't have aTm...
Ole Miss was 0-8 in SEC play
State was 1-7 in SEC play
Auburn was 4-4 in SEC play
We got smoked by the two best SEC teams by a combined score of 79-31.

Fact

hogcard1964

Quote from: ricepig on September 25, 2016, 09:03:25 am
It would appear in your logic.

I thought I just stated that we were good in 2010 and 2011?

Hawgphish

1 out of every 10 years we will compete for a top tier bowl.
2 out of every 10 years we will not make a bowl.
7 out of every 10 years we will play in a mid to low bowl.

That is reality in the SEC West.  Due to a the geographical difficulties of recruiting in our small state.  Regardless of who the coaches are.

wildhogman

Quote from: hog19911 on September 25, 2016, 11:45:54 am
In 2010 the West was stronger than ever. 4 elite teams beating up on each other.

Now days LSU is in the tank, MSU sucks again, Auburn is spiraling out of control and A'M usually implodes.

Last year the second best team in the West got whipped by Memphis, Shutout by Florida and lost to a 5-3 Arkansas team that had lost to Toledo and T Tech.

Plus Petrino beat A'M in a bowl.

To answer your question we were good because we had a great coach. He's proving that once again being ranked in the top 5, as we were when he coached here.
and tel me ol wise one. what is our record 'THIS' year against LSU? Ole Miss? MsSt? Misery? 
how about we wait till December before declaring this season lost?