Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I love this team.

Started by ArkansasI, September 25, 2016, 12:44:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkansasI

Brutal loss. I can't stand the Aggies. They've got more better players than we do. It's not going to get any easier as long as Sumlin is there.

Austin Allen is awesome. I loved when the mic caught him screaming at the sideline - he is a fighter. I look forward to seeing where the ball is going the moment he releases it. The man took a punishing tonight - oline must do better. I don't know how he sees down field with so much traffic in the pocket.

We've got excellent WRs, but we need more speed - in fact, our entire team seemingly lacks footspeed. Other than Reed, we have no one that can run past defenses. Hatcher, Morgan, Cornelius, Hollister - these guys are fighters. I'd love to see more breakaway speed though. It wouldn't hurt if the guy was 6'5", too.

Enos does a hell of a job calling plays, though I was real disappointed with his 4th down sweep at the goal line. It looked like Austin got in on 3rd down... I would have tried to sneak it in one more time. Felt like we conceded. I'd rather give it back to them on the goal line if we didn't make it.

I'm concerned how much we struggle when we hand off to a RB at the goal line. The defense knows it's coming - and the step back in the backfield by the QB allows gap shooters to penetrate.  Our linemen can be punishing blockers, but I don't believe we are very quick up front. 

Dan Skipper gets called for holds that aren't holds. Garrett wrapped himself into Dan's arms a time or two and drew a flag. It's hard to watch Dan get penalized for working hard.

Don't understand why Robb Smith gives the middle of the field to running quarterbacks. Don't understand why the pass interference call wasn't ruled uncatchable.  Killed us tonight, but it isn't like we haven't seen this before.  This defensive "look" needs to be scrapped.

We have depth problems in the secondary. The Hogs need to keep the ball 75% of the game to give us a shot against athletic teams that can go 2-3 deep like the Ags.

If Rawley doesn't fumble... If the Hogs find ways to get in the endzone on the two drives they didn't - settled for a field goal and turnover on downs...  If Coley pulls off the WR...  If, if, if... The game takes on a completely different complexion.

I like our players.  Proud to be a Razorback. Hope we can get better.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Bacon_Bitz

Matt Burks

Quote from: Kevin on September 25, 2016, 12:46:17 am
love cornelius
Love Austin Allen, Agim and it looks like Whaley is going to be great once he gets more experience

go hogues

Quote from: ArkansasI on September 25, 2016, 12:44:56 am
If _______ doesn't fumble... If the Hogs find ways to get in the endzone on the two drives they didn't - settled for a field goal and turnover on downs...  If _______ pulls off the WR...If, if, if... The game takes on a completely different complexion.
"The Story of the Arkansas Football Program"
By: ArkansasI
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

orvillesghost

great post and refreshing to read in the cascade of stupidity that is HV after a loss...

Oklahawg

Brutal loss. I can't stand the Aggies. They've got more better players than we do. It's not going to get any easier as long as Sumlin is there.

Austin Allen is awesome. I loved when the mic caught him screaming at the sideline - he is a fighter. I look forward to seeing where the ball is going the moment he releases it. The man took a punishing tonight - oline must do better. I don't know how he sees down field with so much traffic in the pocket.

We've got excellent WRs, but we need more speed - in fact, our entire team seemingly lacks footspeed. Other than Reed, we have no one that can run past defenses. Hatcher, Morgan, Cornelius, Hollister - these guys are fighters. I'd love to see more breakaway speed though. It wouldn't hurt if the guy was 6'5", too.

Enos does a hell of a job calling plays, though I was real disappointed with his 4th down sweep at the goal line. It looked like Austin got in on 3rd down... I would have tried to sneak it in one more time. Felt like we conceded. I'd rather give it back to them on the goal line if we didn't make it.

I'm concerned how much we struggle when we hand off to a RB at the goal line. The defense knows it's coming - and the step back in the backfield by the QB allows gap shooters to penetrate.  Our linemen can be punishing blockers, but I don't believe we are very quick up front. 

Dan Skipper gets called for holds that aren't holds. Garrett wrapped himself into Dan's arms a time or two and drew a flag. It's hard to watch Dan get penalized for working hard.

Don't understand why Robb Smith gives the middle of the field to running quarterbacks. Don't understand why the pass interference call wasn't ruled uncatchable.  Killed us tonight, but it isn't like we haven't seen this before.  This defensive "look" needs to be scrapped.

We have depth problems in the secondary. The Hogs need to keep the ball 75% of the game to give us a shot against athletic teams that can go 2-3 deep like the Ags.

If Rawley doesn't fumble... If the Hogs find ways to get in the endzone on the two drives they didn't - settled for a field goal and turnover on downs...  If Coley pulls off the WR...  If, if, if... The game takes on a completely different complexion.

\

Great post! It is ok for folks to vent but this reminds us that we are in better shape than in a long time.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Foozzball

This team is 3 meaningless wins against 2nd rate opponents and 1 nasty loss against a quality opponent :puke:

The_Bionic_Pig

4-1 headed into week 6 at home against #1 Alabama.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HogBreath

Quote from: Foozzball on September 25, 2016, 12:52:18 am
This team is 3 meaningless wins against 2nd rate opponents and 1 nasty loss against a quality opponent :puke:
Soooo..suddenly, TCU is a 2nd rate program?

You don't know what you're talking about.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Turminator

I HATE the goal line and multiple TE running packages that have not worked in the past four years.   I love AA he tries to rise above, I hope he is killed by bama

The_Bionic_Pig

Your entire post history seems to focused on Attacking Razorback fans while exibiting a lust for Bobby Petrino.

Link:  http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=63857
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Foozzball

Quote from: HogBreath on September 25, 2016, 12:56:37 am
Soooo..suddenly, TCU is a 2nd rate program?

You don't know what you're talking about.

TCU has always been 2nd rate

Foozzball

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on September 25, 2016, 01:03:13 am
Your entire post history seems to focused on Attacking Razorback fans while exibiting a lust for Bobby Petrino.

Link:  http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=63857

Razorback fans do not want to accept the true condition of the sports programs on the hill.  I love the hogs more than anyone but because I love them I expect them to be great at all they do not mediocre!

ArkansasI

I was frustrated with our play against LA Tech. I know Skip is a fine coach, but the Hogs should be able to line up against a program of that size and exert ourselves to a comfortable win.

Of course, that didn't happen - and I came here and bitched about it. The university invests too much $$$ in the football program to perform near equally with LA Tech - no offense to Tech fans, just an "investment" opinion.

Tonight, I was far more proud of the performance. A&M has enormous resources - especially access to football players. Houston just knocked off OU with players recruited primarily in and very near Houston. That's alarming if you think about it.

My problem tonight was not so much the offense, but more about wondering why so much of the field opens up out of certain defensive sets. If I can see it, then so can our opponents.

StuartDavin

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on September 25, 2016, 01:03:13 am

It's one thing to state an opinion that you think we'd be better off with Petrino. But some of these people seem to truly get enjoyment out of losses just so they can bring it up again.

orvillesghost

And there isn't one poster on HV who actually truly thinks Petrino is going to ever coach at Arkansas again so what good does it all do?

How on earth does it benefit our program. I am still waiting to hear how someone mooning over BP is going to help Arkansas in football.

DeltaBoy

With our recruiting issues it shows we can not afford any more whiffs on Oline and on D fence. Lack of Depth in year 4 with this Coach is a glaring issue.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Biggus Piggus

I was surprised to see so many dumb mistakes in the first half. But I also was disappointed that Arkansas wasted so many downs trying to run plays the Aggies had scouted out.

Austin had to save us on third downs, or we were doing nothing.  The real shame is aTm can't cover worth a crap, and we still treated passing as though it weren't the best thing we do.

Bielema can't stand that, having an offense that throws better than it runs. Getting into the red zone and never throwing, using bunched-up formations to make it easier on the defense, this is awful.

Wasted opportunity. Outcoached.
[CENSORED]!

hoghearted

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 25, 2016, 07:41:25 am
I was surprised to see so many dumb mistakes in the first half. But I also was disappointed that Arkansas wasted so many downs trying to run plays the Aggies had scouted out.

Austin had to save us on third downs, or we were doing nothing.  The real shame is aTm can't cover worth a crap, and we still treated passing as though it weren't the best thing we do.

Bielema can't stand that, having an offense that throws better than it runs. Getting into the red zone and never throwing, using bunched-up formations to make it easier on the defense, this is awful.

Bielema has a reputation for being unnecessarily stubborn. He has to play to the team's actual strengths, and not what he wishes they were.

The O line's issues are puzzling to me, considering Bielema's love for the 'big uglies'. Is it truly poor recruiting, poor talent evaluation, lack of experience, or what? Or just all of it?
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Nosboar Accubond

This...

Chavis sold out in the scouting report and we kept trying to out man them. I don't care who you play if the bring 9 players up the middle you won't be successful running there. Where was the bootleg that AA is a beast at running?

It was obvious we refused to step away from our game plan and Chavis made his paycheck.

Same thing happened last year, but late in the season we weren't afraid to get creative there with BA & HH. We have to wake up and realize everybody we play will scout us and bring LBers over the top on goal line plays... Do something to counter it.

Gotta put our boys in better positions than that. We'll get there.

LJHOG

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 25, 2016, 07:27:38 am
With our recruiting issues it shows we can not afford any more whiffs on Oline and on D fence. Lack of Depth in year 4 with this Coach is a glaring issue.
Lack of depth.  How about a lack of quality starters. And a lack of coaching. We couldn't blow La Tech off the line in short yardage situations.  What in heavens name may them think we could punch it in on an SEC defensive.  Shear stupidity.

Hoggish1

I like watching our style of play. 

We are a fine team that just needs a bit of tweaking in a few areas.

I think this team will be very successful this year and one loss will not define us.

We will learn a great deal from this game and come out a better team in the long run.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on September 25, 2016, 07:53:57 am
This...

Chavis sold out in the scouting report and we kept trying to out man them. I don't care who you play if the bring 9 players up the middle you won't be successful running there.
So many blame Anderson and the Oline.  I agree they need to improve, but they're are 5 of them.  When they bring 7-8, the Oline is not the problem. 
7-8 > 5
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

WoodyHog

Good post.  I'm disappointed by the loss, but I think there is a lot to build on.

I don't totally understand a lot of the criticism of the offense.  The goal line stand aside (where I agree a bit more creativity on the play calling would have been nice, but which clearly should have been a touchdown based on replay in any case) -- we moved the ball well all day, and kept Allen pretty clean.  What killed us were turnovers.  Fumble while literally going into the endzone.  Reed's fumble as we are moving into the redzone.  Sack/fumble in our own redzone.   

When we started to line up in spread formations at the end of the game, then Allen got killed.  We didn't go with spread sets earlier in the game because A&M was committed to bringing pressure, and even if Allen made them pay, he was going to get hit hard.  Chavis is willing to rush 6 when we have 4 wide.  I thought Enos did a good job generally of protecting Allen, while still getting the ball downfield.  Hell, we threw for almost 400 yards.  What more do people want?

The problem is that against a good team, you have to play clean to win.  We didn't, so we lost the game.  End of story.

Still a really good bunch of kids on both sides of the ball.  Our fans are ridiculous in their fickleness.  Two weeks to prepare for another big match-up at home.   Go Hogs!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on September 25, 2016, 09:00:52 am
So many blame Anderson and the Oline.  I agree they need to improve, but they're are 5 of them.  When they bring 7-8, the Oline is not the problem. 
7-8 > 5

Adjustment in blocking scheme, could that have helped? Backs and tight ends getting in and picking up the slack?

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: FineAsSwine on September 25, 2016, 09:22:19 am
Adjustment in blocking scheme, could that have helped? Backs and tight ends getting in and picking up the slack?
Quick hit passes or two man routes with max protect. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

ArkansasI

Totally agree with you FAN. It is shocking what so many here believe 5 can do when outnumbered. Truth be told, I'd like to see our defense adopt some of the same aggressive tactics. However, we seem pretty settled on expecting our 4 to provide an adequate rush. We get precious little pressure on opposing QBs.

Also agree with BP. We got out coached. That's a tough pill to swallow. A&M has a ton of talent. We have to play smarter around the goal line.

Redhogs

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on September 25, 2016, 12:54:28 am
4-1 headed into week 6 at home against #1 Alabama.

.....and ass kicking # 2.....
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

SRV

Excellent post. I believe there is a silent majority of Hog fans, that aren't on message boards and don't have their own radio names, that agree with this line of thinking.

Woo pig!!!
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

SRV

Epically wrong
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

ballinhog

I think we need to rethink our strategy towards recruiting safeties. These days you need cover guys back there more so than your traditional safety. The secondary in general needs more attention imo. Like when we sign these great athletes I wish we would put some of them on defense more often than we do. Im not saying move either of these guys but just an example would be Deon Stewart and Jordan Jones. 2 great athletes with great speed, guys like that instead of always going to WR should maybe be looked at a little closer in the secondary, as we severely lack speed back there. Again I'm not suggesting either of those guys be moved, just used them for example only.

Although I'm of course disappointed with the loss I came away feeling pretty good last night mainly bc of Austin Allen. When you have a guy like that you're gonna win a lot of games. Just need to play 4 quarters on defense and continue to look for the right combination on the O-line and keep working Whaley and even Hammonds in and we're gonna win a lot of games this year.

We're about to take care of next week and after that I truly feel this is the year we beat Alabama!! 9-3 is still very possible, maybe even likely with this team

WPS

pfrg999

Outcoached....
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on September 25, 2016, 09:00:52 am
7-8 > 5

Yes it is, you can scheme your way around it but it's a problem for what BB wants to do.  We play teams we should be superior to and their o-line still gives their qb time against our defense. 

If you have a problem the first step to recovery is admitting it.  Then and only then can you figure out how to overcome.  I still believe in our players but CBB needs to adjust to reality.

HawgTide

Quote from: pfrg999 on September 25, 2016, 11:39:00 am
Outcoached....

Outplayed and outcoached. The lack of meaningful coaching adjustments by our OC and DC during the game was glaring.

BR

Quote from: HawgTide on September 25, 2016, 11:52:07 am
Outplayed and outcoached. The lack of meaningful coaching adjustments by our OC and DC during the game was glaring.
This I have to agree with, I like the staff but last night they were outcoached
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

JenksHawg

great post, couldn't agree more.

Porkette

Good post, OP! I like this team too. Love AA, and we're going to win our fair share of SEC games with a QB like him.

A loss like last night hurt, but this could still prove to be BB's best team here so far. This A&M team (unfortunately) looks legitimately good.
GO HOGS GO!

hawgtime

I agree. I know that this team wants to wear down the opponet but let's use our passing attack to balance and get some POINTS!  we shouldn't have run so many plays straight up in the red zone.  i kept hoping that we were just setting up the defense for more misdirection.... not enough but a good game.