Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone else ready to get rid of the SW Classic?

Started by hogz11, September 24, 2016, 11:50:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogz11

Play A&M home and home every year. They seem to respond better in this environment and get to play in their home state. Hogs don't seem to have any advantage playing this game. It's not like A&M is head and shoulders better. But every year there are crazy mistakes in this game that the Hogs don't seem to make elsewhere.

Bacon_Bitz

Deeznutts

Should have done away with it years ago. Can't give up home games in the NFL development league. It's plain idiotic.

AquaHog

How about we actually play them and not make excuses about the venue. 

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hobhog

hobhog

Quote from: Deeznutts on September 24, 2016, 11:51:41 pm
Should have done away with it years ago. Can't give up home games in the NFL development league. It's plain idiotic.

Hard to see the picture when inside the frame....

hoginator

Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

I'm about ready to just never ever watch an Arkansas vs Texas A&M game ever again.  I'm just going to pretend we play an 11-game season, and this one just doesn't exist.  Done.  Can't take it.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

jfred59

Yep, dont care if Jerry is behind the thing...sick of it

3kgthog

But it'll help recruiting in Texas! No, it won't. It didn't when we started it and it won't now. Especially since we're the Ags whipping boy.

BroyledNutts

Home and Home ... performances like this is are not boosting recruiting success in Texas just because they get to come to Jerry World to see us get thumped.

cypert2

This needs to be home and home. The only team that this helps recruiting is A&M.
Swinging on the two and the four.

hobhog

prattville pig

Life's too short to last long.

WorfHog

JJ needs his cut to continue "donating" money. Jerry's laughing all the way to the bank on this deal.

Cambridge Hog

kodiakisland

I wonder how long fans will continue to pony up the big bucks it takes to spend a weekend in Dallas for this game.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

BroyledNutts

The contract for the game runs out in 18 or 19, doesn't it? Anyone know for sure?

Jb1219

Maybe jerry will let the hogs play Alcron State there

Sed76

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 25, 2016, 12:22:54 am
I wonder how long fans will continue to pony up the big bucks it takes to spend a weekend in Dallas for this game.

I have been every year minus the first one and am about done. Drive 6 plus hours, spend a fortune on tickets and come away furious year after year. Might as well have taken that money and set fire to it.

Russ22

Quote from: BroyledNutts on September 25, 2016, 12:25:33 am
The contract for the game runs out in 18 or 19, doesn't it? Anyone know for sure?
I think it goes to 2024 (much to the displeasure of Aggies). When we played the home and home in 2012 and 2013, Jerry let the teams do it in exchange for adding years 2 for 1 (4 total) on the end.

When this started, it was a money maker for both teams. As it is now, Arkansas still makes money, but A&M loses out because of the money made in the new Kyle.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Russ22 on September 25, 2016, 12:35:48 am
I think it goes to 2024 (much to the displeasure of Aggies). When we played the home and home in 2012 and 2013, Jerry let the teams do it in exchange for adding years 2 for 1 (4 total) on the end.

When this started, it was a money maker for both teams. As it is now, Arkansas still makes money, but A&M loses out because of the money made in the new Kyle.

Thx for the good info

Torqued pork

Quote from: WorfHog on September 25, 2016, 12:19:34 am
JJ needs his cut to continue "donating" money. Jerry's laughing all the way to the bank on this deal.
The game is probably pocket change to Jerry.

Ben

Instead of playing A&M at the SW classic, Just play someone like SMU or Rice. Maybe Texas
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: BroyledNutts on September 25, 2016, 12:25:33 am

This was the 3rd year of a revised 10 year deal so it should run through 2023.  Bottom line is that Sumlin appears to have Bielema's number and regardless of quality his teams are better prepared to play in September.  The SW Classic worked just as intended when Sherman was in College Station and could do so again if Sumlin leaves.  Arkansas has to recruit Texas and this game isn't going away and CBB will have to find a way of sneaking in a win now and then because A&M has no incentive to cancel.

hogfan58

Attendance goes down every year, there were TONS of empty seats for both teams. The scalpers outside the stadium could name their price for buying tix.   
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hogz11 on September 24, 2016, 11:50:30 pm
Play A&M home and home every year. They seem to respond better in this environment and get to play in their home state. Hogs don't seem to have any advantage playing this game. It's not like A&M is head and shoulders better. But every year there are crazy mistakes in this game that the Hogs don't seem to make elsewhere.
NOPE we just need to hold on to the DAMN,BALL ,Score and Win the Damn game.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogcard1964

Yes, get rid of it.  It's now an automatic loss.

HoggieStyle

ImHogginIt

The game atmosphere at Jerry World is awesome for this game. Anyone complaining has never been.

HighcountryHog

Conference games should be home-away.  End of story.  Never liked this game played there.
no bumps, no fat chicks

hogfan58

Quote from: ImHogginIt on September 25, 2016, 08:38:17 am
The game atmosphere at Jerry World is awesome for this game. Anyone complaining has never been.

Been every year.....it's not THAT great. Sound is HORRIBLE in the upper levels and you don't watch the the game on the field, you watch the screen. I can do that at home without paying $85 a tix, $50 to park and $8.50 for a beer.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

mizzouman

Quote from: hogfan58 on September 25, 2016, 09:04:39 am
Been every year.....it's not THAT great. Sound is HORRIBLE in the upper levels and you don't watch the the game on the field, you watch the screen. I can do that at home without paying $85 a tix, $50 to park and $8.50 for a beer.
Those prices are rip offs, win or lose.

mizzouman

It's all about $$$. If both teams make more in a 2 year period than they would in a home/home, then I think it continues.

The segment that gets hurt is the hotel industry in both towns.

hobhog

McKdaddy

It's a fun atmosphere to be part of. I buy good seats (likely wouldn't go otherwise), attend a solid tailgate, and enjoy the bowl type of atmosphere. Simply tired of losing to my wife's and in-laws Ags.  >:(
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Westcoasthog

The Southwest Classic is great PR for Arkansas - it is great publicity and statue to play in Cowboy Stadium every year.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: hogfan58 on September 25, 2016, 09:04:39 am

Stay at home. I go every year and sit row 1 upperdeck. I watch both the field and screen. The atmosphere is phenomenal. The sound is fantastic. The beer is also 16  oz so the price is about the same as any NFL or MLB park. Well worth my $125 ticket.

Hogman2

I like the concept of the SW Classic but want a different team to play!  A conference game may NOT be a great idea! Schedule it as a "classic" with a non-conference Power 5 team!  Schedule a Big Ten, Pac 12, whatever but NOT a conference foe!  WE need to play A&M in Fayetteville!!

ThaHill

I like the idea of playing in Dallas every year. I do believe that it is good for recruiting. BUT I don't think the game needs to be a conference game. When we first started playing them in this game, a&m wasn't in the SEC. It was a good idea at that point. Now that they are in the SEC, we need to switch them to a home & home and pick up some other team from the old SWC. Just rotate through the old SWC teams. Make it a true Southwest Classic. Right now it is an SEC game with a stupid title. Just my thoughts, but what do I know.......

East TN HAWG

I think it's good to have a presence in DFW ".  It was good to see B Williams in a WPS short

woodhog14

You think aTm fans were saying the same thing after we rattled off 3 wins in a row in Jerry World against them? Good Lord man...

HammusArkansus

Go 'Home and Home'.  Sounded like there were more AgHeads in the stands than Hog fans.  Why give them that advantage every year?

hogfan58

Quote from: ImHogginIt on September 25, 2016, 10:00:45 am
Stay at home. I go every year and sit row 1 upperdeck. I watch both the field and screen. The atmosphere is phenomenal. The sound is fantastic. The beer is also 16  oz so the price is about the same as any NFL or MLB park. Well worth my $125 ticket.

I'm happy you can afford $125 tix. Maybe in those sections you could understand the PA....where I was, row 4 in the upper level, I could not understand a word he said. I guess that's the difference between $125 and $85.

MTBrookHog

It's kinda ironic how some fans will moan and groan about having to drive to Little Rock  (this is not a GSD) and yet praise paying out the wazoo and driving further to play this game in Jerry's palace. Well, last night showed that the recruiting argument is not working.

JenksHawg

Agree - Fayetteville is twice as far from Dallas as College Station.  My neighbor just had a good idea - do a 3 year rotation - home, away, AT&T.