Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ripleys --- Believe it or Not

Started by Hawgar The Horrible, September 20, 2016, 10:05:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgar The Horrible

There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

pigture perfect

Isn't that what Al Davis was so upset over?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 20, 2016, 10:17:21 am
It is a real stretch to say Arkansas was on the verge of hiring Lane Kiffin after the 2007 season.

You're probably right, but Kiffin was in the mix, or at least was one of the names being thrown around at the time.  There's no doubt a thread about it in the archives somewhere.  If memory serves though, Bobby was only hired after the Grobe/Bowden near misses.

Still, Kiffin's reputation had not yet been sullied then so a lot of people were pretty intrigued by the idea of hiring Monte's son away from the Oakland Raiders.  I was one of them.

Jackrabbit Hog

Had we hired Kiffin, we'd have probably gotten a 7 or 8 win season or two out of him, then he would have ditched us for a "better" job, then we would have ended up on probation for all his shenanigans during the couple of years he was here.

All things considered, it would have been a huge mistake.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

jmark

40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

younghog

garbage.. If any thing is was Mullet from OKState
GO HOGS

hogcard1964

I thought it was between BP and Tubberville?

navyhog24

Kiffin on Dickson would not have turned out well. Him and our co-eds would have spelled trouble. Oh wait. We got that with our first choice as well.

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

memphishog

i seem to remember a story that came out about that time claiming when he heard petrino got the job he threw a massive fit in the office in oakland.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: jmark on September 20, 2016, 11:03:58 am
muschamp

Yup.  Hiring the Texas Crown Prince would have had the splash impact JL was looking to achieve with moderate downside.  He might have looked at Kiffin but probably classed him as high risk with no certainty of reward.  Petrino was going to win so the high risk on his character was acceptable.  JL probably did give BP a deadline just to prevent him from shopping the offer and giving the Falcon owner time to work on Bobby.

phadedhawg

Hawghiggs

If we needed a coach today. I would take Kiffin. He has been through a lot over the last 7 years and has came away a better coach, and person for it. He was way to young to receive some of the opportunities that he received and dealt with things immaturely .  He had issues with stardom. He is ready to become a head coach now. Hopefully it will be in a place like Kentucky and not in a place like LSU.

dsgreen

Quote from: Hawghiggs on September 20, 2016, 12:17:03 pm
If we needed a coach today. I would take Kiffin. He has been through a lot over the last 7 years and has came away a better coach, and person for it. He was way to young to receive some of the opportunities that he received and dealt with things immaturely .  He had issues with stardom. He is ready to become a head coach now. Hopefully it will be in a place like Kentucky and not in a place like LSU.

He couldn't win at USC, why in the world would you want Kiffin?

hoglady

Quote from: dsgreen on September 20, 2016, 12:24:00 pm

What you would hope is that Kiffin has matured and learned many things under Saban about being a good head coach. Kiffin did probably become a head coach too early in his career - I just don't think he was ready. Moving back into an OC role for some years may have been all he needed to succeed the next time he gets an opportunity.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Paul

Quote from: memphishog on September 20, 2016, 11:42:40 am
i seem to remember a story that came out about that time claiming when he heard petrino got the job he threw a massive fit in the office in oakland.
I read it too.  think it was in Sports Illustrated

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: dsgreen on September 20, 2016, 12:24:00 pm

He inherited a big mess at USC, yet most people still placed Leinert/Bush expectations on him.

It will be interesting to see if he's matured into good HC material.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 20, 2016, 10:32:14 am
Had we hired Kiffin, we'd have probably gotten a 7 or 8 win season or two out of him, then he would have ditched us for a "better" job, then we would have ended up on probation for all his shenanigans during the couple of years he was here.

All things considered, it would have been a huge mistake.

Yeah, even with what happened with Petrino I feel like we dodged a bullet, got the longer end of the stick, or whatever you want to call it, if that was the case.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

RazorPiggie

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: memphishog on September 20, 2016, 11:42:40 am

This is true - I remembered the story while reading the one about Cowherd in the OP above.  What i do remember is that Kiffin wanted the Arkansas job badly and was very disappointed that it went to someone else.  What I'm not sure about is whether or not we was definitely in line to get a firm offer had Petrino not been able to get out of Atlanta within 24 hours.  And, by the way, the 24 hour story also fits with the story that an NFL agent (not Petrino's agent, but a go-between) told on Arkansas radio a few months after the hire.  This guy essentially was an intermediary between Arkansas and Petrino's agent, so he knew all the details.  And he said Arkansas wanted CBP, but had to know "now" or else they would move on to other options. 

If you've never listened to this before, it's a fascinating account of what went down from someone who REALLY knows.

http://www.hogdb.com/2009/08/25/how-bobby-petrino-became-our-hc/

And there's this:

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/rumor-kiffin-pissed-he-didnt-get-arkansas-job.155470393/

SemperHawg

I honestly had forgotten that Collin Cowherd existed until I clicked on this thread.

ballz2thewall

i'm not sure the proper perspective is in place when viewing Kiffin, at least as far as objectivity is concerned.

both TN and USC were in complete disarray when he was hired at each place. TN is still in it as far as i can tell. at USC there's no doubt; there is a rumored player defection being staged as i type.

also; consider what would make programs like TN and USC hire someone like Kiffin, given that they were on fire at the time?

if you examine it closely it is possible to conclude that he must have qualities suitable to deal with problem situations. this isn't the only possible conclusion, but it is a reasonable one.

there is little doubt that Kiffin put alabama where saban wants them. this doesn't happen by accident.

i personally don't advocate for or against Kiffin, but merely look at the tea leaves.
The rest of the frog.

Matt Burks

My take from this is that now that CBP is at Louisville, some in the media maybe trying to help his image. Do you remember how bad just about everyone in the media outside of Arkansas ripped Petrino for leaving the Falcons? He had that image for years at Arkansas. He was one of the most hated coaches by the media, which I do believe played a factor in some of Petrino's recruiting woes. But now that he's back at Louisville with a phenomenal athletic qb they can prop up for Heisman hype, the main stream media is almost taking a 180 on his image.

Did they seem to forget about how bad he (literally) wrecked the Arkansas program? However, part of me wants to forgive and move on from that, but it's hard to forget that feeling on the day he was fired. It's hard to forget the disgust I felt when all the details came out which made the firing from Jeff Long so understandable (I'm sorry, he had no choice or it would have opened up room for hundreds of lawsuits). I want to forget all the crap, the down feelings that we got though the John L. Smith year and knowing that one of the great Arkansas qbs Tyler Wilson got screwed over returning his senior year. I want to forget that we were picked by many that year as a contender for the national championship that started with an embarrassing loss and IMO the severe damage done to Brandon Allen that year from thrown in too soon (first start against Bama) without a good qb coach.

It in some ways it pains me to see Louisville getting what we should have had, but I have to remember to move on from this thought. Maybe I should forgive, IDK? Regardless, I'm very glad that we have Coach B today. Yes, he doesn't have the win record that CBP had (though we tend to forget his near losses such as against Vandy) but I think he'll get us there. Most importantly, Coach B is teaching the kids how to become good men in life and for any of you that think that winning on the football field is all that matters, tell that to a player. Tell him that you don't care if he has a future beyond his college career. Tell him that you only care that he sacrifices himself only on the football field and that only winning on the field matters. Tell him your selfish, non-caring thoughts. I'm not sure if CBP cared only about winning on the field, but I know that Coach B cares about everything in those young men's lives. That's a coach!

MojaveJoe

Quote from: Matt Burks on September 20, 2016, 04:58:39 pm
My take from this is that now that CBP is at Louisville, some in the media maybe trying to help his image. Do you remember how bad just about everyone in the media outside of Arkansas ripped Petrino for leaving the Falcons? He had that image for years at Arkansas. He was one of the most hated coaches by the media, which I do believe played a factor in some of Petrino's recruiting woes. But now that he's back at Louisville with a phenomenal athletic qb they can prop up for Heisman hype, the main stream media is almost taking a 180 on his image.

Did they seem to forget about how bad he (literally) wrecked the Arkansas program? However, part of me wants to forgive and move on from that, but it's hard to forget that feeling on the day he was fired. It's hard to forget the disgust I felt when all the details came out which made the firing from Jeff Long so understandable (I'm sorry, he had no choice or it would have opened up room for hundreds of lawsuits). I want to forget all the crap, the down feelings that we got though the John L. Smith year and knowing that one of the great Arkansas qbs Tyler Wilson got screwed over returning his senior year. I want to forget that we were picked by many that year as a contender for the national championship that started with an embarrassing loss and IMO the severe damage done to Brandon Allen that year from thrown in too soon (first start against Bama) without a good qb coach.

It in some ways it pains me to see Louisville getting what we should have had, but I have to remember to move on from this thought. Maybe I should forgive, IDK? Regardless, I'm very glad that we have Coach B today. Yes, he doesn't have the win record that CBP had (though we tend to forget his near losses such as against Vandy) but I think he'll get us there. Most importantly, Coach B is teaching the kids how to become good men in life and for any of you that think that winning on the football field is all that matters, tell that to a player. Tell him that you don't care if he has a future beyond his college career. Tell him that you only care that he sacrifices himself only on the football field and that only winning on the field matters. Tell him your selfish, non-caring thoughts. I'm not sure if CBP cared only about winning on the field, but I know that Coach B cares about everything in those young men's lives. That's a coach!

I'm a fan of BP's coaching (who isn't?), but clearly he had to go. It is weird how nothing about his past seems to ever be brought up this season.

Matt Burks

Quote from: MojaveJoe on September 20, 2016, 05:06:28 pm
I'm a fan of BP's coaching (who isn't?), but clearly he had to go. It is weird how nothing about his past seems to ever be brought up this season.
That's exactly what I think when I see people in the media talking about Louisville.

GolfnHog

Quote from: MojaveJoe on September 20, 2016, 05:06:28 pm

Short term memory of facts and winning cures a lot of people apparently.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

jgphillips3

The Petrino saga was and is a net positive for Arkansas.  He got us back on the national scene in a BIG way.  Back to back double digit wins, BCS bowl, top 5 finish, etc.  he is obviously a horribly selfish, egotistical person, but it was only his inadvertent actions that hurt us, rather than his intentional actions like MOTHO.  Even his firing worked out because he had elevated the program to a level that Bielema was willing to take a chance on and the whole saga earned our Athletic department great respect, especially Long, for the way he handled it and now OUR athletic director is the chair of the playoff committee and our coach is the media darling of the SEC.  None of things were likely to happen pre-BP and we are no on the verge of a good long term run.  In perspective, that move worked out the way we wanted and then worked out even better in an unintentional way for the future.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: hoglady on September 20, 2016, 12:29:03 pm
What you would hope is that Kiffin has matured and learned many things under Saban about being a good head coach. Kiffin did probably become a head coach too early in his career - I just don't think he was ready. Moving back into an OC role for some years may have been all he needed to succeed the next time he gets an opportunity.

I'd hire as an OC in a heartbeat. He's not a head coach though.

secfan30

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on September 20, 2016, 10:05:44 am
First I've ever heard of it...

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/cowherd-arkansas-would-have-hired-lane-kiffin-if-bobby-petrino-didnt-take-job-in-2007

Al Davis did an interview and mentioned a friend from Arkansas calling to interview Kiffin and he told that friend he could hire Lane, but could he wait until after the NFL season was over. Petrine fell in our lap, and that ended that.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Matt Burks on September 20, 2016, 04:58:39 pm

I feel the exact same way you do. Its interesting how much of a slime ball he was here but now that he's winning elsewhere all is forgiven.

Funny that Louisville can sell out to hire him but we were raked over the coals for hiring him.

Bubba's Bruisers

muschamp

I just threw up a little in my mouth.  I would have rather taken my chances with Lane.  But I do recall both names being floated out there at the time.  That maybe Muschamp in particular really wanted the job.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: jgphillips3 on September 20, 2016, 05:31:24 pm
The Petrino saga was and is a net positive for Arkansas.  He got us back on the national scene in a BIG way.  Back to back double digit wins, BCS bowl, top 5 finish, etc.  he is obviously a horribly selfish, egotistical person, but it was only his inadvertent actions that hurt us, rather than his intentional actions like MOTHO.  Even his firing worked out because he had elevated the program to a level that Bielema was willing to take a chance on and the whole saga earned our Athletic department great respect, especially Long, for the way he handled it and now OUR athletic director is the chair of the playoff committee and our coach is the media darling of the SEC.  None of things were likely to happen pre-BP and we are no on the verge of a good long term run.  In perspective, that move worked out the way we wanted and then worked out even better in an unintentional way for the future.
This... God is a Hog fan.!!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on September 20, 2016, 09:27:50 pm
I feel the exact same way you do. Its interesting how much of a slime ball he was here but now that he's winning elsewhere all is forgiven.

Funny that Louisville can sell out to hire him but we were raked over the coals for hiring him.
So who has more staying power at Louisville, Pitino or Petrino?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 20, 2016, 10:16:26 pm
So who has more staying power at Louisville, Pitino or Petrino?
Lamar Jackson may have given him a lifer contract. dude's special.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: GolfnHog on September 20, 2016, 05:28:25 pm
Short term memory of facts and winning cures a lot of people apparently.

Media guys can't help being awed at how Petrino could build up Louisville, he leaves + Louisville goes to pot. Charlie Strong rebuilds modestly over several years, Petrino comes in and re-elevates the program in short order.

They praise his results. This time, he's not leaving an NFL team prematurely and following a "good coach who was run off," the myth about Houston Nutt. Petrino paid brief penance at Western Kentucky, went nowhere but the school he had once left in a lurch, this time in its hour of need. Of all the people Louisville could have hired, Petrino is one of a few who could put them right back on the front burner again.

Only this time, Louisville might be better than ever. It's impressive. The media are tired of talking about the old stories. They like the Petrino reclamation project. Now if the [CENSORED] abandons them again to chase another SEC job, just watch.
[CENSORED]!

sigpooie

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Inhogswetrust

It is a real stretch to say Arkansas was on the verge of hiring Lane Kiffin after the 2007 season.

90% of what Cowherd says is a stretch.......................His so called sources is probably a herd of cows.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

3kgthog

Quote from: sigpooie on September 21, 2016, 06:47:09 am
kiff will be the next Auburn coach

No, he won't.

On a side note, if you haven't heard former AU FB Heath Evans blast Malzahn and his offense on the Freddie Coleman show, go dig up the clip from last night. He tore that offense apart for a good 5 minutes. He admitted he's already teamed up with Takeo Spikes and other former players and they hope to cause a change at head coach.

Redhogs

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on September 20, 2016, 09:27:50 pm

This is exactly what many of us on Hogville said would happen when CBP started winning big time again..and got totally raked over the coals on here for it....one of the best coaches in CF...just the way it is.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hobhog

Quote from: Redhogs on September 21, 2016, 08:00:11 am
This is exactly what many of us on Hogville said would happen when CBP started winning big time again..and got totally raked over the coals on here for it....one of the best coaches in CF...just the way it is.

I enjoy watching his games because it reminds me of what an ass he is. He berates his players horribly, and shows complete disregard for sideline reporters just trying to do their jobs. He will have a train wreck sometime, just wait for it....

BigHog396

Not a stretch at all.  It was all but a done deal.  Petrino was our stretch goal.  But, if we couldn't get Petrino it was going to be Kiffin, with Ed Orgeron as his Asst Head Coach/Recruiting Coordinator.

MO.Hog

Jeff Long shut this down. He stated Kiffin's group reached out to the university, but that was as far as it went and was going to go.

ballz2thewall

The rest of the frog.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: BigHog396 on September 22, 2016, 04:59:11 pm
Not a stretch at all.  It was all but a done deal.  Petrino was our stretch goal.  But, if we couldn't get Petrino it was going to be Kiffin, with Ed Orgeron as his Asst Head Coach/Recruiting Coordinator.

This is untrue. Maybe that was what Kiffin wanted. It was not even remotely close to actually happening.
[CENSORED]!

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: BigHog396 on September 22, 2016, 04:59:11 pm
I sure wouldn't mind having Orgeron in that same capacity with the Hogs. Best recruiter in the business, IMO. You put him with CBB, and we'd consistently pull in top 15 classes with some top 10's here and there and a big ole pile of wins. You put him with Kiffin, on the other hand, and all you get is your hopes up.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Poppa Tart on September 23, 2016, 09:12:28 pm
I sure wouldn't mind having Orgeron in that same capacity with the Hogs. Best recruiter in the business, IMO. You put him with CBB, and we'd consistently pull in top 15 classes with some top 10's here and there and a big ole pile of wins. You put him with Kiffin, on the other hand, and all you get is your hopes up.

Michael Smith is doing for Arkansas what Orgeron did while at Ole Miss. Snagging players out of New Orleans.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

JONAS

muschamp

Yep.  We were hiring Will Muschamp if Petrino had turned us down.