Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DMN writer butthurt over Hogs win....

Started by DLUXHOG, September 11, 2016, 05:00:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DLUXHOG

September 11, 2016, 05:00:44 pm Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 10:33:39 pm by DLUXHOG
says it's all due to TCU mistakes.... no credit to even the Hogs defense who shut TCU out for an entire half..........

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/tcuhornedfrogs/2016/09/10/unsportsmanlike-conduct-penalty-blocked-field-goal-sabotage-tcus-stunning-comeback-loss-arkansas
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Mike_e

LOL  If the people of D/FW were paying my bills I'd be a shill for the home team too.

;)
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

rljjr

Your definition of butthurt is very different from mine. That was probably about as fair an article as you can get from somebody who covers that team. The gist? TCU made mistakes. I don't know what you want. He called Arkansas gritty. True. He said Skipper made a play. True. He mentioned the unorthodox 2-point conversion. It was. Those are all pretty decent things to say without being flowery.

ChitownHawg

He is basically copying what Patterson said at his presser.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Bubba's Bruisers

It's exactly what we would have said had we lost.  We made mistakes.  We gave the game away.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Corkscrew Johnson

By "mistakes" do they mean getting outplayed for 3 1/2 quarters?

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 11, 2016, 05:39:57 pm
It's exactly what we would have said had we lost.  We made mistakes.  We gave the game away.

The biggest mistake TCU made was scheduling a home & home with a program that once beat them 22 straight years, helping turn an occasional 1950's national contender into a 1970's laughingstock, a team whose 3rd most successful home field advantage after RRS and WMS is the 21 victories in Fort Worth where the Hogs have lost only once since Frank Broyles first season in 1958.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: rljjr on September 11, 2016, 05:24:56 pm
Your definition of butthurt is very different from mine. That was probably about as fair an article as you can get from somebody who covers that team. The gist? TCU made mistakes. I don't know what you want. He called Arkansas gritty. True. He said Skipper made a play. True. He mentioned the unorthodox 2-point conversion. It was. Those are all pretty decent things to say without being flowery.

Agree, I have the article and I wasn't put off by it. TCU made mistakes that cost them the same way we did to let them back in the game.

Check this out. A couple pretty strong paragraphs.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

reddogjcss

I'm sure most reading his colum watched the game and a picture is worth 10,000 words

JaketheSnake

Didn't account for the Arkansas mistakes.  Shoulda coulda been up 21-0 or worse early. 

kodiakisland

Seems like a decent article written by a Dallas sports writer for the Dallas market. 

QuoteTCU found out the hard way what LSU and Ole Miss and a few others have learned -- when you're a ranked team playing at home against an unranked Arkansas team, it's dangerous.

The Razorbacks, who improved to 2-0, have been particularly good when going against ranked teams while the Hogs are unranked. Since 2014 in those situations, they have five wins over ranked teams, most of any team in the country. Texas has four in that span
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Pigsfeat

The writer says that Allen broke a couple tackles to score the winning TD...It seemed to me that Allen went through half their defense! :)
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on September 11, 2016, 05:49:40 pm
The biggest mistake TCU made was scheduling a home & home with a program that once beat them 22 straight years, helping turn an occasional 1950's national contender into a 1970's laughingstock, a team whose 3rd most successful home field advantage after RRS and WMS is the 21 victories in Fort Worth where the Hogs have lost only once since Frank Broyles first season in 1958.

Would have loved to heard that instead of the HornFrog Luv fest that the ESPN guys vomited during the 4th quarter..
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

gchamblee

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on September 11, 2016, 08:01:32 pm
Would have loved to heard that instead of the HornFrog Luv fest that the ESPN guys vomited during the 4th quarter..

If you go back and watch the replay, they were not biased to either team. They got excited at every big play regardless of which team was running it. Pretty fair and balanced in my opinion.

ricepig

Quote from: gchamblee on September 11, 2016, 08:08:24 pm
If you go back and watch the replay, they were not biased to either team. They got excited at every big play regardless of which team was running it. Pretty fair and balanced in my opinion.

Tess is fair and balanced, and pumps both teams up.

DeltaBoy

The Espn crew were enjoying the unfolding drama. All the DFW print articles were honest an Balanced TCU got in a hole ,dug out and came up short in Double OT.  And Arkansas to most dangerous to face at Home the past Season and a 1/2. HOGS won 5 and Texas has won 4 when both been unranked.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Pigsfeat on September 11, 2016, 07:27:57 pm
The writer says that Allen broke a couple tackles to score the winning TD...It seemed to me that Allen went through half their defense! :)

Patterson was ticked about that. When I rewatched the run one of their best tacklers hit AA and didn't wrap up. I'm sure he is in Patterson's dog house today after watching the film.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

longpig

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 11, 2016, 09:11:10 pm
Patterson was ticked about that. When I rewatched the run one of their best tacklers hit AA and didn't wrap up. I'm sure he is in Patterson's dog house today after watching the film.

Those boys were worn out.
Don't be scared, be smart.

WorfHog

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on September 11, 2016, 05:49:40 pm

/thread

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on September 11, 2016, 05:52:01 pm
Agree, I have the article and I wasn't put off by it. TCU made mistakes that cost them the same way we did to let them back in the game.

They, like LSWho and Ole Pissy, just got there collective arses beat...but UCT cant admit that. Trying to put yourself in them same class as the aforementioned is laughable. Unless you are Bama, being ranked and at home affords you very little. Especially when your opponent is just as good as you.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Pigsfeat on September 11, 2016, 07:27:57 pm

Ragnow should get an assist. Allen made a tough run, but got some help from his 6. Kind of reminded me of BA's run for the 2 point conversion against OM last year.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on September 11, 2016, 08:01:32 pm

Not in just the 4th quarter!  They were talking like TCU was the greatest college football team EVER.  Eff Alabama. . .these are the Horny Frogs!  WTH?  For over 3 quarters, Arkansas owned that game!  TCU started running up to the line of scrimmage, not allowing our defense time to get set, heck, on most occasions not even getting set themselves yet only got called on it once!  Anyway, I digress.  I was sick of hearing about TCU, I was sick of hearing that the officials shouldn't have called penalties on TCU and I was sick of the unsportsman like behavior of their fans without a word from the announcers calling them out on it.  I've always been happy for TCU since they sucked for so many years, that now, they could win some. . .but after that display last night, I will be regularly pulling for any team (save Texas and Oklahoma) who play the Frogs. 

MaconBacon

It plays out like a frustrated writer that is upset with HIS team.   In the end, it all comes down to "woulda, shoulda, coulda," along with the mistakes and missed opportunities.

Danny J

Quote from: longpig on September 11, 2016, 09:20:37 pm
Those boys were worn out.
Their entire D line was literally laying on the ground to the left of the action and it was a CB and safety trying to tackle Allen which is why he was able to stay up just long enough for Ragnow to finish it off. They were worn out no question. It took their D line and a couple linebackers 10 seconds to even get off the ground after the game was over.

010HogFan

Tess may have been fair to both teams, but I thought this was the worst game I've ever heard Todd Blackledge be a part of...there were several times he was critical of us or said something extremely stupid that was slighted against us...one of them was related to the hit out of bounds on Cornelius when he said Cornelius was the one that initiated the contact

rickm1976

Yeah, yeah.  They made mistakes, and that's true, but we made our share of them too.  We should have put the game away, but let them right back in it.

HoopS

Quote from: 010HogFan on September 12, 2016, 04:28:14 pm
Tess may have been fair to both teams, but I thought this was the worst game I've ever heard Todd Blackledge be a part of...there were several times he was critical of us or said something extremely stupid that was slighted against us...one of them was related to the hit out of bounds on Cornelius when he said Cornelius was the one that initiated the contact
wasn't it on a PI call against us where the TCU DB initiated contact but we got flagged according to him because of how he reacted to it?

Paul

Quote from: 010HogFan on September 12, 2016, 04:28:14 pm
Blackledge was saying Hill was a picture of poise & composure before the last TD.  When he was penalized for the throat slash, he said he'd seen it earlier but it wasn't called.  Typical BS.  I thought Tess was great.     

Hogtimes

September 12, 2016, 05:10:29 pm #28 Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 09:20:19 am by Hogtimes
TCU is not in Dallas.   There is no love lost between the two.   So I would not call a Dallas writer a homer or say he was butt hurt.

moses_007

If I'm not mistaken, TCU had three offensive chop-block penalties in the first half alone.  They didn't recover from any of those penalties.  In the second half, they had holding penalties, illegal touching, a play where a receiver stepped out of bounds and then caught a touchdown pass (that was nullified), and then the throat slashing penalty.

Yes, they clearly shot themselves in the foot in the worst way.  Not to take anything away from us, but they killed a number of their drives themselves with costly penalties.

FraggleHog

Quote from: Hogtimes on September 12, 2016, 05:10:29 pm
TCU is not in Dallas.   There is no love lost between the two.   So I would not call Dallas writer a homer exactly.

DMN covers the whole Metroplex (Dallas and Fort Worth for those who aren't familiar with the area) and they have writers assigned to cover all the different teams. Author was the writer who covers TCU. If you cover a team long enough, you start to pull for them. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a little homer in him.

Calling the Hogs from DFW

DeltaBoy

TCU fans are quite sad and mad but SMU folks are over joyed.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

HappyFan

I thought Baylor was the one with illegal touching problems.

DeltaBoy

010HogFan

Quote from: HoopS on September 12, 2016, 04:43:46 pm
wasn't it on a PI call against us where the TCU DB initiated contact but we got flagged according to him because of how he reacted to it?

That was another instance. This is what I'm talking about...

Watch at 1:43:00

There was contact out of bounds...what did he want him to do? Fall?
http://www.espn.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2869332/size/condensed/

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on September 11, 2016, 05:46:32 pm
By "mistakes" do they mean getting outplayed for 3 1/2 quarters?
Typically if you get outplayed for 3 1/2 quarters and still end losing in overtime, mistakes played a big part of it.

outlawhogeywells

maybe better coached teams don't make those mistakes?
If they played in the SEC they would 3-5 losses per year.  They don't have the depth to play big boy football for a whole season

Foozzball

I agree with the writer, TCU did make a mistake...........They scheduled the Razorbacks!

WMHawgfan

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on September 11, 2016, 05:52:01 pm

Only a complete dbag would write something that disrespectful about the hogs. (Sarcasm off) Jeez there was nothing derogatory or disrespectful about the hogs in that article. It was very fair.

Hogtimes

Quote from: FraggleHog on September 12, 2016, 11:24:54 pm
DMN covers the whole Metroplex (Dallas and Fort Worth for those who aren't familiar with the area) and they have writers assigned to cover all the different teams. Author was the writer who covers TCU. If you cover a team long enough, you start to pull for them. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a little homer in him.

Beat writers change often. Some beat writers hate the teams they are covering.  I lived in DFW for many years and the Dallas Morning news is not a big fan of Ft Worth.