Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Darius Hall

Started by niels_boar, February 01, 2018, 12:25:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

niels_boar

Since it seems to have gone unmentioned, he was awesome in about every way that you can be awesome at College Station, aside from a few frosh miscues.  He scored via post, thunderous slam, and trey.  He rebounded, got steals, and had a ginormous block.  He never takes a play off.  He's getting better every game.  Nice job by the young fella. 
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

snoot hoggy hog

If he can develop into a Ron Huery/Lenzie Howell/Darrell Hawkins type next years team is going to be special.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: niels_boar on February 01, 2018, 12:25:21 am
Since it seems to have gone unmentioned, he was awesome in about every way that you can be awesome at College Station, aside from a few frosh miscues.  He scored via post, thunderous slam, and trey.  He rebounded, got steals, and had a ginormous block.  He never takes a play off.  He's getting better every game.  Nice job by the young fella.

Strange coincidence that you're here talking up DayDay after midnight, and I just tweeted some of his TA&M highlights within the hour. I got to see that young man practice, work out, & play up close 15-20 times before he arrived in Fayetteville in May, and I've had no doubt that he's All SEC caliber down the line, and I've written that sentiment over and over again. It's not just his length, strength, & athleticism, he's got a very high floor IQ and competes to win every single play at both ends. His perimeter handles & mid-range skill are better than what he's consistently shown to this point, so it's going to be a real treat seeing some of these other things he can do as he gets more comfortable at this level. He's really worked on his 3-point shot, too, and will be efficient from distance.

I hope fans who don't know Khalil Garland's game get to see him, too, because he's a 5-star in terms of being an elite slashing/open-court/downhill finisher who also brings that elevated floor IQ ... those 2 and Gafford make up what I believe is the best class not only in CMA's tenure, but better than any I can remember since the glory days of the 90s. It's subjective, of course, and with the uncertainty of Garland's status and how long Gafford stays we may never get to see all 3 on the floor together, but it's a special group of in-state talent, IMO.

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/958954866918948864

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/958957102894125056

FineAsSwine

I've been on the DayDay train for a while. I see a real fighter on the court . This kid really has some Hog in him. Gonna be a fan favorite.
Hogs up! Covid down!

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on February 01, 2018, 07:52:32 am
dont be surprised if hes not at Arkansas next year. He isnt happy about his PT and he isnt happy that macon, barford, and beard have free reign to do whatever they want, while others are held to a different standard.
you talk to him?
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

dont be surprised if hes not at Arkansas next year. He isnt happy about his PT and he isnt happy that macon, barford, and beard have free reign to do whatever they want, while others are held to a different standard.
Tell him those three won't be here next year.

Big Nasty 34

He's going to be the second go-to guy next year and most likely the stud his last two years. Just imagine how much free reign he will have as a senior?

You may know him, I sure don't, but he seems pretty locked in to being a Hog IMO.

hogginbama

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on February 01, 2018, 12:30:37 am
If he can develop into a Ron Huery/Lenzie Howell/Darrell Hawkins type next years team is going to be special.

All the experts on here told us this year was going to be special if Macon and Barford returned. They did and we are still waiting on "special".
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

bosshog84

Not happy about PT? He starts and played 35 out of 40 possible minutes at College Station. I believe that led the team. Also Macon, Barford, and Beard will not be here next year so if that is a problem now it will not be down the road after this year.

labb

Maybe that he does but I don't think that Hall has that bad of an attitude.

PonderinHog

Quote from: labb on February 01, 2018, 09:06:45 am
Maybe that he does but I don't think that Hall has that bad of an attitude.
I wish his defensive attitude would rub off on his teammates.

labb

The post about bad attitude was in reference to this post.

PonderinHog

Quote from: labb on February 01, 2018, 09:30:58 am
The post about bad attitude was in reference to this post.
And I'm agreeing with you.

niels_boar

Quote from: hogginbama on February 01, 2018, 08:50:15 am
All the experts on here told us this year was going to be special if Macon and Barford returned. They did and we are still waiting on "special".

Actually there were plenty of "experts" looking at low 20 wins this season against this schedule after losing Kingsley, Hannahs, and Watkins.  That still seems to be where we are heading.

niels_boar

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on February 01, 2018, 01:29:06 am
Strange coincidence that you're here talking up DayDay after midnight, and I just tweeted some of his TA&M highlights within the hour. I got to see that young man practice, work out, & play up close 15-20 times before he arrived in Fayetteville in May, and I've had no doubt that he's All SEC caliber down the line, and I've written that sentiment over and over again. It's not just his length, strength, & athleticism, he's got a very high floor IQ and competes to win every single play at both ends. His perimeter handles & mid-range skill are better than what he's consistently shown to this point, so it's going to be a real treat seeing some of these other things he can do as he gets more comfortable at this level. He's really worked on his 3-point shot, too, and will be efficient from distance.

I hope fans who don't know Khalil Garland's game get to see him, too, because he's a 5-star in terms of being an elite slashing/open-court/downhill finisher who also brings that elevated floor IQ ... those 2 and Gafford make up what I believe is the best class not only in CMA's tenure, but better than any I can remember since the glory days of the 90s. It's subjective, of course, and with the uncertainty of Garland's status and how long Gafford stays we may never get to see all 3 on the floor together, but it's a special group of in-state talent, IMO.

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/958954866918948864

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/958957102894125056

I don't read Twitter.  Can't stand the format. So, it is a coincidence. 

hawkhawg

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on February 01, 2018, 12:30:37 am

I think he is already as good as Hawkins.

The_Iceman

And we have a Darious Hall clone coming in next year as well: Jordan Phillips.

Razorod

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 01, 2018, 01:24:21 pm
And we have a Darious Hall clone coming in next year as well: Jordan Phillips.
Yep. We should be in good shape at the sf/wing spot. Both guys around 6-6, should really help on the defensive end to have the additional height to both guard and rebound.

Backcourt will be a bit crowded next year, especially if Garland is cleared, but it should have plenty of talent:

PG/CG--Harris, Embery, Sims
SG/CG--Garland?, Joe, Jones, Embery
SF/Wing--Hall, Phillips, Jones

Lots of combinations, good athleticism and length.

Just lacking in experience.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: niels_boar on February 01, 2018, 11:30:23 am
I don't read Twitter.  Can't stand the format. So, it is a coincidence.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting you got the idea from me, in fact the stuff I did was a few minutes AFTER what you posted. But when I came here I noticed you were talking about him (on Hogville) about the same time as me (on Twitter), and it was "strange" that we both had DayDay on the brain at the same, unusual time.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Razorod on February 01, 2018, 01:36:11 pm
Yep. We should be in good shape at the sf/wing spot. Both guys around 6-6, should really help on the defensive end to have the additional height to both guard and rebound.

Backcourt will be a bit crowded next year, especially if Garland is cleared, but it should have plenty of talent:

PG/CG--Harris, Embery, Sims
SG/CG--Garland?, Joe, Jones, Embery
SF/Wing--Hall, Phillips, Jones

Lots of combinations, good athleticism and length.

Just lacking in experience.

I don't think "Sills" will see much PT next year. Of all the recruits, he needs the most development. I'd expect it to look like this:

PG: Harris / Embery (more of a CG) / Sills
SG: Jones / Joe
SF: Hall / Phillips

I am not expecting Garland to get cleared. Better just not to get my hopes up, that way if he does, I'm pleasantly surprised. If he is cleared, I could see him pushing Jones for PT.

Jones and Bailey will be in a similar spot next year. Both Juniors, but both habe very limited games. If they don't expand their game, or learn to maximize what they do to the highest level, then they will lose their spot.

snoot hoggy hog

Quote from: hogginbama on February 01, 2018, 08:50:15 am

Macon and Barford hadn't been the same since the Lillard tweet. A little celebrity....

labb

We will have a hard time competing with roster heavy on incoming Freshmen. Best hope that Gafford, Bailey and Jones really improve this Summer. The other big "O" needs to have a really big summer workout program. I haven't seen the schedule but I would bet on us starting really slow.

Razorod

Quote from: labb on February 01, 2018, 02:46:28 pm
We will have a hard time competing with roster heavy on incoming Freshmen. Best hope that Gafford, Bailey and Jones really improve this Summer. The other big "O" needs to have a really big summer workout program. I haven't seen the schedule but I would bet on us starting really slow.
It will be interesting to see what kind of non-conference schedule Hogs play next year. Will it be dialed back a bit with regard to difficulty to help them get some W's and build confidence before conference play? Or will it look more like this year's?
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Jim Harris

This has been "freshman think" since forever. I was there when Michael Whatley out of Fort Worth thought he should be playing more instead of Brewer, Delph and Moncrief, and the guy even quit before the NCAA Tournament was over. Pretty sure he ended up pumping gas for a living until all the stations moved to self-serve.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Razorod on February 01, 2018, 03:12:24 pm
It will be interesting to see what kind of non-conference schedule Hogs play next year. Will it be dialed back a bit with regard to difficulty to help them get some W's and build confidence before conference play? Or will it look more like this year's?

Maybe we take the MisStake and Aubbie route and ease into SEC play with some confidence builders. Going to need to let the new guys get their legs under them. I still think they should play some tough teams in nonconference but they should build towards those games as we get close to conference play.
Hogs up! Covid down!