Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lunardi still have us as a 10 seed?!!

Started by RedRover10, February 19, 2018, 02:17:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRover10

We were a 10 seed 2 weeks ago and haven't moved up after winning 4 straight and we have an rpi of 25. Also are ranked 29th. Which would be on the better side of an 8 seed. If we lose to Kent and drop back I will lose my shot. Wps

SemperHawg

It has been mentioned a couple of times on here and I brought it up in another thread.  Lunardi is having the same problem that the committee will have when it comes to seeding a conference that gets more than 5 teams in.  Someone will get a lower than/higher than deserved seed so they can avoid a second round conference match up.  The committee generally doesn't want a conference match up until the sweet 16 at minimum.  The problem that Lunardi is having with the SEC bids is we have a bunch of teams in conference that are all 6,7,8,9 seed type resumes. 

Taking care of business with 2 or 3 more wins would help move us out of this middle of the road pack that all the SEC teams seem to be in right now.

checkraiser88

So we are a 7/8 on the one other ones but only a 10 on his?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Lunardi is just getting lazy.  Has A&M as a 6.  We have a 2 game advantage in conference, 2 game overall record advantage.  Just beat them head to head.  We are 7-3 in our last 10 having won 5 in a row.  A&M is 6-4 having lost 2 in a row.  They have also been swept by LSU.  Before their last two losses they did beat AU and KY, so you want to give them credit for that and say at 17-10 they are equal to a 19-8 Arkansas, fine, but 4 seeds better?  Come on. 

Andy Katz does a Power 36 ranking.  Basically teams that should be a lock for the tourney and he has us at 25 which would be a 7 seed at worst.  He does not have A&M in the top 36.  Other SEC teams around us TN at 21, Mizzou at 23, and Bama at 26, KY at 28.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

razobak

Unfortunately what's hurting us is that our "marquee" non-conference wins have lost most of their luster over the past month. Oklahoma has lost 5? 6? in a row, Minnesota has fallen off the face of the planet, UConn has struggled in the AAC, and OK State is 9th out of 10 teams in the Big XII.

We really need all of those teams to pick it up over the last couple weeks of the season to boost our profile. For example, UConn is currently 104 in the RPI, we really need them back in the top 100 so that neutral court victory goes back to Quadrant 2.

All that being said, our four remaining opponents are all Q1 games. RPI 18 Kentucky, @ 33 Alabama, 8 Auburn, and @ 23 Mizzou. Win those and we're talking 5 or 6 seed.
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

parallaxpig

Gonna be 8-10 seed unless we win 3 of last 4. Then might make 7 seed.  If by some magical run we win out including SEC tourney than probably looking at a 5 seed............
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

The_Iceman

Quote from: razobak on February 19, 2018, 02:49:16 pm
Unfortunately what's hurting us is that our "marquee" non-conference wins have lost most of their luster over the past month. Oklahoma has lost 5? 6? in a row, Minnesota has fallen off the face of the planet, UConn has struggled in the AAC, and OK State is 9th out of 10 teams in the Big XII.

We really need all of those teams to pick it up over the last couple weeks of the season to boost our profile. For example, UConn is currently 104 in the RPI, we really need them back in the top 100 so that neutral court victory goes back to Quadrant 2.

All that being said, our four remaining opponents are all Q1 games. RPI 18 Kentucky, @ 33 Alabama, 8 Auburn, and @ 23 Mizzou. Win those and we're talking 5 or 6 seed.

According to FCJ, pointing that out makes you a hater.

Poker_hog

Quote from: parallaxpig on February 19, 2018, 04:09:27 pm
Gonna be 8-10 seed unless we win 3 of last 4. Then might make 7 seed.  If by some magical run we win out including SEC tourney than probably looking at a 5 seed............

If we win out we're probably a 3 seed.  It's not reasonable to expect that.  Win 3 out of 4 plus a game or 2 in the tournament and we're a 6 seed.  We could make a run as a 6th seed.  Really hard to make a run as an 8 seed.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Big Nasty 34

Why are we complaining about a 10 seed? We don't want the 8/9 game!!

Razorback_Mack

He missed that, there's no way as of today this team is a 10.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on February 19, 2018, 05:54:25 pm
Because moving up as a 8/9 puts us as a 6/7. Moving up as a 10 puts us as a 8/9.

AlmaHog2011

February 19, 2018, 06:09:55 pm #11 Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 07:54:02 pm by AlmaHog2011
Quote from: parallaxpig on February 19, 2018, 04:09:27 pm

If we did all that we would deserve better than a 5 seed..Common.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on February 19, 2018, 05:54:25 pm

I agree but IMO we deserve a lot more respect. How about a 6 seed.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 19, 2018, 06:10:39 pm
I agree but IMO we deserve a lot more respect. How about a 6 seed.

we'll end as a 6-7 seed

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 19, 2018, 07:47:09 pm
we'll end as a 6-7 seed
I think that is where we should land if we beat Kentucky and Auburn.

CFB_Fanatic

Id rather be an 11 or 12 seed than an 8 or 9.

8 or 9 seed all but guarantees a one and done in the tournament. Meanwhile, 11 and 12 seeds go on deep runs all the time.

I wouldn't mind if they lose a couple more games to get them a better draw in the tourney. We could win out and still wind up an 8. No thanks.

rljjr

All 4 of our remaining games are against quality teams. The worst of the teams left is Kentucky. Auburn, Bama, and Missouri will be extremely tough outs. Auburn bc they are really good and the other two because they're peaking and are at their place. We have the capability to win them all, and we are playing much better of late so let's stick our nose in the trough and feed!

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

hobhog

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: hobhog on February 25, 2018, 10:57:19 am
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Not at all. Look at Palm. He has us as a 7. Ahead of Bama, Missouri, A&M. I'm just telling you this right now. If A&M, Missouri, and Bama finish with a sub .500 conference record there is zero chance they have a better seed than us.

LivingLegends

Quote from: hobhog on February 25, 2018, 10:57:19 am
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
This seed is a end of season projection.  It's not a, "if the season were to end today," bracket.

incHOGnito

The lynchpin to all this insanity is the early season hype of A&M. It is really hard for the prognosticators egos to come off that prediction, which necessitates them being artificially higher than they should be. This forces somebody down, which has been us. I think if we can beat Auburn at home on Tuesday, it may force a shift in this thinking. Wouldn't hurt to have A&M lose another.

raz1965

Lunardi is great at predicting who is in an out but his seeding lines are not accurate on many occasions.

Nolan's Boots

Quote from: RedRover10 on February 19, 2018, 02:17:19 pm
We were a 10 seed 2 weeks ago and haven't moved up after winning 4 straight and we have an rpi of 25. Also are ranked 29th. Which would be on the better side of an 8 seed. If we lose to Kent and drop back I will lose my shot. Wps

Jerry Palms seedings seem more in line with how I believe the field should look.
Pigs Gon Fly Today Brotha

jfred59

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on February 25, 2018, 11:13:55 am
Not at all. Look at Palm. He has us as a 7. Ahead of Bama, Missouri, A&M. I'm just telling you this right now. If A&M, Missouri, and Bama finish with a sub .500 conference record there is zero chance they have a better seed than us.

Remember you are dealing with the NCAA so there is no telling

TeufelHog

You guys do realize we aren't that special right?  Where/when have our Hogs been overly impressive?  To be kind we are terribly inconsistent.  I will not be surprised if/when all 8 or 9 of our SEC teams get spanked in the NCAA Tourney.  I fall into the group that think our conference is tremendously average.  Think there is a good chance we all get exposed in the tourney.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: TeufelHog on February 25, 2018, 12:56:46 pm
You guys do realize we aren't that special right?  Where/when have our Hogs been overly impressive?  To be kind we are terribly inconsistent.  I will not be surprised if/when all 8 or 9 of our SEC teams get spanked in the NCAA Tourney.  I fall into the group that think our conference is tremendously average.  Think there is a good chance we all get exposed in the tourney.
I sincerely hope you're wrong, but I think you're right about the conference being overrated. Positive is that more teams means higher chance someone makes a run. Quantity can't be understated when it comes to tourney play since it's so random.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Randohoggie

Quote from: TeufelHog on February 25, 2018, 12:56:46 pm

The SEC beat the Big 12 straight up in the challenge, even without Auburn or Missouri playing.

The SEC also had non-conference wins outside that challenge over Purdue, Gonzaga, Cinncinati, West Virginia, USC, St. Mary's, Rhode Island, Michigan, Houston and more.

The SEC is not average.

raz1965

I bet the SEC wins a fair share of tourney games.

King Kong

Quote from: raz1965 on February 25, 2018, 12:25:20 pm
Lunardi is great at predicting who is in an out but his seeding lines are not accurate on many occasions.

This is true. Lunardi lives by his BPI. Which the NCAA doesn't consider at all