Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wally's quote of the day.

Started by harrisburghog, September 21, 2017, 08:03:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ricepig on September 21, 2017, 09:41:10 am
B.S., we only generate $30M in football ticket sales and that includes donations and suites. Try to keep your argument to something close to factual, lol.
A buyout will not be for the full $15 million under the contract...if Bret wants to ever coach again in college. Do not act so naive. It will be a negotiated settlement/buyout.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: jst01 on September 21, 2017, 09:30:40 am
When? In year 1? Year 2?

Guess it depends on how excited fans would be for that new season and it would depend on how the year started out. If you start 1-2 with the new coach, it may take awhile for revenues to catch up.

And whether Coke products return.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 21, 2017, 08:09:43 am
I do know this...if the little elf has turned a bit negative...somebody somewhere is beyond angry....Wally doesn't say anything like that if he hasn't been directed. 

PRJ

It seems to me Wally is doing what he always does.  He sticks his finger in the wind to see which way the popular opinion is blowing and then he writes an opinion based on that one way or the other to generate as much buzz as he possibly can to sell news papers.  Which is his job.   He's right about as much as random chance would dictate.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 21, 2017, 09:33:02 am
U of A will lose twice this amount over the next 12 months if the situation is bad enough that they want to fire Bret. Thus, they will negotiate a settlement and he will be gone after this season if they want him gone. Buyout will not matter in the least.

Dynamics's have changed, tv revenue and corporate sponsors have taken the need to satisfy a fan base off the shoulders of the Administration.  Now we have academic's running a show they DON'T WANT to outshine the educational side of the U.  Even the Razorback Foundation has lost its prestige and is nothing more than a " yes ma'am" to the Admin.   

Atlhogfan1

As PRJ says, those wanting change should be happy with Wally's comment as he doesn't say these types of things without hearing lots of noise to where he feels safe to do so. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 21, 2017, 10:09:26 am
As PRJ says, those wanting change should be happy with Wally's comment as he doesn't say these types of things without hearing lots of noise to where he feels safe to do so.

Did you just say ditto?
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

hawgon

There is definitely some dissatisfaction in the ranks.  The story about the Foundation in the thread that got locked didn't come out of thin air either.  It may have been exaggerated.  It may have gotten a few things wrong.  But it didn't come out of thin air and it means that there are at least a few unhappy people over there.

Maybe that was going to be::::REHABILITATION LOOKS BLEAK::::::::::Thats all I got.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 21, 2017, 09:00:44 am
Your right but the rich and powerful will never foot the bill for a failing program without a change.  Is TV contracts and selling out to corporate sponsors enough?

Our estimated free cash flow in 2016 was 19,347,466 That's income vs. expenses. 25 million of our total operating funds of 124,981,042 came from donations.  Theoretically we could lose the entirety of our donations all 25 million and we would still be the 29th richest program in the country.  Just ahead of UCLA and just behind Virginia.

hawgon

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on September 21, 2017, 10:20:22 am
Our estimated free cash flow in 2016 was 19,347,466 That's income vs. expenses. 25 million of our total operating funds of 124,981,042 came from donations.  Theoretically we could lose the entirety of our donations all 25 million and we would still be the 29th richest program in the country.  Just ahead of UCLA and just behind Virginia.

Another way to look at that is that we had enough money after expenses to pay Bert's entire buyout and the salary of a new HC without even running a deficit.

hulk hog

I hope we turn it around. Even if they can pay the buyout(which I think they can) this will not be the year you want to be looking for a coach. There may be openings at 5-7 other SEC schools. But if Bill Snyder retires and hand picks CBB as his replacement so we could spend that money on a new coach.
paid for by the NHO... the NewHogOrder.....

ricepig

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 21, 2017, 09:56:19 am
A buyout will not be for the full $15 million under the contract...if Bret wants to ever coach again in college. Do not act so naive. It will be a negotiated settlement/buyout.

Time would tell, some want all of their money, others just retire.

hobhog

Quote from: harrisburghog on September 21, 2017, 08:41:06 am
Obviously the culture has changed at AR, wins and loses don't mean as much anymore.

How's that? Are you saying he should have been fired LAST year?

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on September 21, 2017, 10:25:46 am
Time would tell, some want all of their money, others just retire.

He can't retire.  He has a duty to mitigate.  He has to at least seek employment.  If he wants to simply retire, he has to negotiate a settlement.

Grag T

I've never really understood how dumpster-fire coaches get hired somewhere else anyway.  "Hey look at this guy, he really sucks... let's hire HIM!"  I mean who the hell says that??

Just seems weird.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: hobhog on September 21, 2017, 10:26:51 am
How's that? Are you saying he should have been fired LAST year?

There was a time here at Arkansas that he would have been gone last year. Never would have Frank stood, in year 4, for back to back embarrassing losses like that.

PRJ

HawgTrough

Bielema's not getting that $15 mil. It's not happening. He's our coach for at least one more year. Might as well get on board
WPS

I am sure the 15 mil buyout could be handled but eventually it should come down to value of investment.  If it is determined, after considering money outlay, condition of the team and program, the feelings of the Big Dogs, the reputations of the school, program and the Big Dogs, and a few other considerations, then the buyout could occur.  But think about it.  If that buyout drops to 11 million in less than 3.5 months, would you pay over 1 million per month to rid yourself of this man now, in the middle of the season.

More likely situation, you wait till seasons end and if BB shows a pulse, you go on waiting.  If not, you publicly mull the situation, giving BB a little time to move on which he won't do but it makes the program look better.  It also alerts potential candidates you are open to advances.  You are accepting applications totally in private.  You never know how many up and comers would be interested. 

I do know this.  If Jeff Long will make the next HC of football choice, we should just take applications, give each a number, put that number in a bingo number roller and let a 4 year old turn the crank and take the name associated with the number that falls out.

This screws the recruiting up but BB wasn't going to do anything with them anyway.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Grag T on September 21, 2017, 10:28:47 am
I've never really understood how dumpster-fire coaches get hired somewhere else anyway.  "Hey look at this guy, he really sucks... let's hire HIM!"  I mean who the hell says that??

Just seems weird.

How do you explain the difference in success Bielema had in Wisconsin vs. here?

What about Charlie Strong at Louisville vs. at Texas?

Or Rich Rodriguez at West Virginia vs. at Michigan?

These guys just forget how to coach from one school to the next?

hawgon

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 21, 2017, 10:34:30 am

These guys just forget how to Coach from one school to the next?

Wisconsin has done better since Bielema left than they did when he was there.  And Anderson, after doing well there, has bombed at Oregon State.  It's the program.

Strong never was better than a 7-5 coach and Texas needed something better than a middling coach.

I'll never figure out Rodriguez.  He lost his mojo.

Grag T

I wasn't actually referring to any specific coaches, just the whole notion in general.  When coaches turn a place into a complete wreck, I don't understand the appeal for someone to hire them afterward.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

hobhog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 21, 2017, 10:30:36 am
There was a time here at Arkansas that he would have been gone last year. Never would have Frank stood, in year 4, for back to back embarrassing losses like that.

PRJ

Different times for sure. But we have pretty much been a soap opera since HDN was here. I think Long is TRYING to find some stability and I think we were on track until last 3 bad losses. Its not too late to get back on track but this weekend is big. 

swinemaster

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 21, 2017, 09:26:39 am
Let's say you fired Bielema and hired...say Mike Leach. Would the revenue generated by Leach's hire be enough to cover the money paid to Bielema?

Don't know for sure but we'd probably have to pony up a few million to get Leach out of his contract as well. 

hobhog

Quote from: swinemaster on September 21, 2017, 10:46:35 am
Don't know for sure but we'd probably have to pony up a few million to get Leach out of his contract as well.

and then again to fire him a few years later.........

bphi11ips

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 21, 2017, 08:26:25 am
Just because you can pay something doesn't mean you want to.

What we have here is a disagreement in the direction of the program between those who make the decisions and those who don't. The latter group just has a public forum on which to vent their frustrations.

Exactly.  Wally's article today was actually pretty positive:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/sep/21/tradition-laden-a-m-game-crucial-to-fut/
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Redhogs on September 21, 2017, 08:56:49 am
I think you know, but I'll bite. The mindset of their program is to win...here it's all about GPA's and telling the world how much integrity you have....not kidding.

Our program is about the glorification of Jeff Long.  Nothing else.  We are the only school in the South who would let a carpetbagger con-man run roughshod.  That dude isn't a Razorback.  He doesn't care about Arkansas.  He makes decisions according to what's best for Jeff Long, not the UofA. 

Get Ken Hatfield to be AD, or someone like him - who loves us.  Never hire a complete outsider to take over your program.  He'll just skin ya for all your worth and leave you bleeding to death.   Don't blame Long for the terrible state of the program.  He is what he is.  If you buy a stolen Rolex for 100 bucks and later found out you actually bought a 20 dollar fake, don't blame the con man.  Its YOUR fault!   All of you who were fine with hiring an outsider as our AD, the damage being done, however bad it gets... is YOUR fault. 

Arkansas = Ship of Fools who put Gilligan at the helm.

GuvHog

Quote from: KennyForAD on September 21, 2017, 10:57:21 am
Our program is about the glorification of Jeff Long.  Nothing else.  We are the only school in the South who would let a carpetbagger con-man run roughshod.  That dude isn't a Razorback.  He doesn't care about Arkansas.  He makes decisions according to what's best for Jeff Long, not the UofA. 

Get Ken Hatfield to be AD, or someone like him - who loves us.  Never hire a complete outsider to take over your program.  He'll just skin ya for all your worth and leave you bleeding to death.   Don't blame Long for the terrible state of the program.  He is what he is.  If you buy a stolen Rolex for 100 bucks and later found out you actually bought a 20 dollar fake, don't blame the con man.  Its YOUR fault!   All of you who were fine with hiring an outsider as our AD, the damage being done, however bad it gets... is YOUR fault. 

Arkansas = Ship of Fools who put Gilligan at the helm.

Very well said Kenny, very well said.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawgon on September 21, 2017, 10:38:53 am
Wisconsin has done better since Bielema left than they did when he was there.  And Anderson, after doing well there, has bombed at Oregon State.  It's the program.

Strong never was better than a 7-5 coach and Texas needed something better than a middling coach.

I'll never figure out Rodriguez.  He lost his mojo.

RRod one of the worst fits ever.  Mich rolled out NFL qb after qb and they decided to go finesse spread.  Dumb.  They didn't have to and it cost them.  Bama tried to make the same mistake with RRod. 

Strong did really well at Louisville and I think he will at S Florida.  Left a very good defense at Texas.  Texas high school football too soft for him.  Not a good fit. 

Wisc hasn't changed much.  Ark is a tough place to try and build your first program which is what BB is trying to do. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

KennyForAD

September 21, 2017, 11:16:04 am #78 Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:26:27 am by KennyForAD
Quote from: GuvHog on September 21, 2017, 11:00:54 am
Very well said Kenny, very well said.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN EXPERT ATHLETIC DIRECTOR.

Anyone stupid enough to go outside the program and hire some sort of 'expert' AD, like Jeff Long, deserves what they get.  Fools.  It is routinely done as a part time job by a coach - like Broyles did.  There is no special knowledge or experience required.  None.  Hiring an AD with no connection to your school because he's an 'expert AD' is BRAIN DEAD STUPID.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 21, 2017, 11:04:22 am
RRod one of the worst fits ever.  Mich rolled out NFL qb after qb and they decided to go finesse spread.  Dumb.  They didn't have to and it cost them.  Bama tried to make the same mistake with RRod. 

Strong did really well at Louisville and I think he will at S Florida.  Left a very good defense at Texas.  Texas high school football too soft for him.  Not a good fit. 

Wisc hasn't changed much.  Ark is a tough place to try and build your first program which is what BB is trying to do. 

BS

Atlhogfan1

WilsonHog

The days of hiring former coaches as athletic directors are pretty much over, unless than former coach also has a doctorate, a law degree, or a MBA. It's a "business" position now much more so than an athletic position.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 21, 2017, 08:19:52 am
I also agree with this...but if things go from bad to worse, a check could be written.
If you agree with this please define "rhebaitustion"

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: KennyForAD on September 21, 2017, 11:27:11 am
Last sentence

He is and it is.   Doesn't mean he shouldn't be doing better. 

Grag T

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on September 21, 2017, 11:30:10 am

LOL, even delta has never come up with a word like that

KennyForAD

Quote from: KennyForAD on September 21, 2017, 11:27:11 am
Last sentence

Which football coach has left Arkansas and had any success elsewhere since Hatfield?   Petrino.  Anyone else?  We've had one coach in a generation who knew his butt from a hole in the ground.  Its not Arkansas.  Its the COACH.  The ONLY good coach we've had in thirty years built a top ten program instantly.

KennyForAD

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 21, 2017, 11:29:06 am
The days of hiring former coaches as athletic directors are pretty much over, unless than former coach also has a doctorate, a law degree, or a MBA. It's a "business" position now much more so than an athletic position.

This kind of thinking, Wilson, is what leads to disasters like Jeff Long.   AD's have lawyers to consult, and an MBA is a meaningless piece of paper.   No expertise required.  Frank Broyles was a football coach.  Where's his law degree... his M B A? 

Nonsense, Wilson.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on September 21, 2017, 11:30:10 am

Well crap.  I concede defeat...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Pig Power

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 21, 2017, 08:49:52 am
What in Tarnation does Wally know? If we want to buy him out we can do it just like TAMU can.
Wally is really infuriating most of the time...
Agree... Wally is a tard

hobhog

Quote from: KennyForAD on September 21, 2017, 11:45:02 am
This kind of thinking, Wilson, is what leads to disasters like Jeff Long.   AD's have lawyers to consult, and an MBA is a meaningless piece of paper.   No expertise required.  Frank Broyles was a football coach.  Where's his law degree... his M B A? 

Nonsense, Wilson.

Opinion<facts

KennyForAD

The AD's primary duty is hiring and firing coaches.  You know who knows the most about the coaching business?  COACHES. Not lawyers.  Not businessmen or MBA holders.  Coaches.

Anyone hiring a non-coach business man as AD is a fool.  Anyone hiring one from up North somewhere is a danged fool.

KennyForAD

Quote from: hobhog on September 21, 2017, 11:52:35 am
Opinion<facts

Facts are not on your side, son.  Check Long's record. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: KennyForAD on September 21, 2017, 11:37:10 am
Which football coach has left Arkansas and had any success elsewhere since Hatfield?   Petrino.  Anyone else?  We've had one coach in a generation who knew his butt from a hole in the ground.  Its not Arkansas.  Its the COACH.  The ONLY good coach we've had in thirty years built a top ten program instantly.

As such a fan of Coach Hatfield's you should have a little understanding of the situation Bielema inherited.   Clemson had protests when he was hired due to so many still supporting Ford whose firing was at least as unpopular as Petrino's. 

KennyForAD

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 21, 2017, 12:01:07 pm
As such a fan of Coach Hatfield's you should have a little understanding of the situation Bielema inherited.   Clemson had protests when he was hired due to so many still supporting Ford whose firing was at least as unpopular as Petrino's. 

Are you trying to say that BB's problems are because Petrino got fired?  I can't tolerate nonsense.
Reality = Hatfield failed at Clemson because, in the 80's, Jimmy Johnson showed the world how to stop the wishbone.   After Miami shut us down, and then OU, with speed in the right positions, the few remaining wishbone guys like Hatfield were... toast.  Nothing to do with previous coach.

Reality = BB is not performing as required on the field.  It may change.  It may not.  I don't know why he's failing, but I DO know it has NOTHING to do with the previous coach.  That's nonsense. Absurd. A joke.  Excuse.   Copout.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 21, 2017, 08:44:21 am
If Bielema makes a bow game, he isn't going anywhere. Even if he only wins 5, they still probably won't fire him.

3/4ths of college football make bowl games.

That shouldn't be a benchmark accomplishment anymore.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: hobhog on September 21, 2017, 08:39:01 am
Coach B wins Saturday it won't matter

How do you plan to prepare the crow?
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

HotlantaHog

CBB took over Wisconsin at a time that the program seemed rock solid. He was competing in the Big 10 at a time Ohio State was down, Michigan was struggled and Penn State was a mess. After he left, Wisconsin seems to have done fine without him ... the basic point, his success in maintaining a program that didn't face SEC like competition might not say a lot about how good of a coach he is.

As for Charlie Strong, RichRod -- good questions.

WilsonHog

Quote from: KennyForAD on September 21, 2017, 11:45:02 am

Nonsense, Wilson.

I'm not telling you the way it should be; I'm telling you the way it is.

Whether you like or agree with that is irrelevant.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on September 21, 2017, 08:08:20 am
It's actually 11 million if you wait till 1/1/18. Poor little old Arkansas. Give me a break.

Arkansas had a Billion dollar fundraiser .. just to see if they could.  A BILLION.  They raised it almost instantly.  TAMU saw that and tried it.  I don't think they quite got to a billion.  Cant remember if they made it.  Both schools can afford ...ANYTHING