Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeremy Gibson

Started by Rock City Razorback, May 26, 2017, 02:46:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock City Razorback

With the retirement go RWIII and J Day transferring, we're taking 2 backs this class. Gibson announced he's likely to commit on his visit according to an RD article. How does the majority feel about him as a prospect, and where will that leave us with others? Obviously we as well as everyone is after Ingram, but how likely are we to land him? Gibson is a smaller back, but not classified as all-purpose, although he does have pretty good hands out of the backfield. Thought I'd just open up the floor for a RB recruit discussions and how it figures into the current roster equation.

bennyl08

I'd take him as a preferred walk-on in a heart beat. However, don't think I'd use up a scholarship spot this early on him.

Pros: He isn't that small. 5'10 for a RB is pretty average. He weighs 190 now which isn't that small and is only a junior in HS so will probably be more in the 205-210 range.
Very quick acceleration. In a 5 yard race, there isn't anybody on our team that I confidently say would beat this kid. Very quick.
Runs angry. When shake and bake isn't an option, he'll go north south and hit the defender as hard as he can.

Cons: Electronically times 4.73 forty time. There have been some really good college RB's running in the low 4.6's but 4.7's is really slow for a RB, even at the collegiate level.

His highlights in HS show him breaking some big runs, but not being able to finish them as he often gets caught from behind, and this is in HS.

So, yeah, I'd take him as a walk-on in a heartbeat. He is very quick and that is definitely more important than speed. However, he is so severely limited in speed that IMO it cancels out his quickness and becomes not a sure thing. To the point where I'm not going to say he can't have success in college as a RB, but that I can't say that he has the physical tools to be successful either. While you can never say for sure whether a player will be successful, you can usually say that this or that person has the physical tools to succeed and the question becomes worth ethic and ability to mentally handle the increased speed and complexity. All those questions hold true for Gibson here as well as questions about the total physical package and thus walk-on IMO.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

NotSoFastMyFriend

RB Drew Winn (Pea Ridge) is a faster, more versatile back and he's in-state.

By the numbers: 6',180, Rivals verified 4.56 laser 40, 4.16 shuttle, 38" vertical, 11.2ypc in 2016 w/8 100+ yd games, 23 total TD.

Yes, the Hogs know about him.

bennyl08

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on May 27, 2017, 10:02:32 pm
RB Drew Winn (Pea Ridge) is a faster, more versatile back and he's in-state.

By the numbers: 6',180, Rivals verified 4.56 laser 40, 4.16 shuttle, 38" vertical, 11.2ypc in 2016 w/8 100+ yd games, 23 total TD.

Yes, the Hogs know about him.

I'd like to see some more inside runs from him. Almost all the runs in his hudl highlights are to the outside or with a gaping hole in the middle. How well can he quickly find the hold in tighter space or have to adjust to a new hole but cutting back? What happens when there's defense in the back field to meet him? Didn't see much of that either. He has good but not great quickness. However, give him about 7 yards of running and he is very fast. Would be a 4.4 something guy if he had a quicker initial burst.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Pig in the Pokey

yeah, looks like a bunch of walk ons to me. We need another 4* quality back in this class, and a solid 3* to go with him.

This guy is the key to this class now that RWIII is done. NEED- http://247sports.com/Player/Keaontay-Ingram-94655
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

bennyl08

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 28, 2017, 11:06:11 am
yeah, looks like a bunch of walk ons to me. We need another 4* quality back in this class, and a solid 3* to go with him.

This guy is the key to this class now that RWIII is done. NEED- http://247sports.com/Player/Keaontay-Ingram-94655

His style reminds me a lot of Wingo. Eerily similar really.

logand02

Slade Bolden is a very exciting prospect. 

Hoggish1

Certainly seems night and day difference to me.  His offer sheet is superb...

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hoggish1 on May 29, 2017, 01:49:49 pm
Certainly seems night and day difference to me.  His offer sheet is superb...
Ingram and Gibson would be solid.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

HamSammich

How in the hell do you run a five yare race?

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: HamSammich on May 29, 2017, 02:57:15 pm

Get at least two people to run 15 feet and declare the winner to be the person person who does it fastest.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

RyeHogFan

With Ingram committing to Tejas, who is our number one running back target now?

theFlyingHog

Quote from: HamSammich on May 29, 2017, 02:57:15 pm
Hopefully really fast

sickboy

Committed to Texas today. Only took two days from your post.

ricepig

Quote from: sickboy on May 30, 2017, 06:35:33 pm

RD said he kept saying he was going to visit, but never made it, didn't expect anything from him.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: sickboy on May 30, 2017, 06:35:33 pm
dude that sucks. there really isn't a replacement for RW3 out there, and we needed a solid RB class even before he retired. Wow.

Well, hopefully Gibson jumps on board and we can full court press some kid I just cant see right now.

rljjr

Isn't there still a shot at Salahudein out of the D.C. Area?

ricepig

Quote from: rljjr on May 31, 2017, 08:11:27 am
Isn't there still a shot at Salahudein out of the D.C. Area?

Some what, the thinking is get Gibson on board before his recruiting takes off, and then take another one if he falls in your lap.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: ricepig on May 31, 2017, 10:03:27 am
Some what, the thinking is get Gibson on board before his recruiting takes off, and then take another one if he falls in your lap.

Jeremy has been high on the board since his offer.

passinghog

We need to always sign backs with SEC caliber speed

passinghog

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on June 03, 2017, 12:56:44 pm
Don't see it with this guy speed wise, at least according to his verified numbers and on film. He's got good vision, but too often gets caught from behind. Seems like a depth guy. Coaches must see something they like, but I'm having a hard time seeing it. Granted I'm not a coach and these guys have had some great backs, but you'd figure we could reel in some more big names, especially only having 3 backs and 2 of them are freshmen. That being said, he does seem to really have some athleticism and able to catch the ball out of the backfield. You know he competes against comp in LA, and seems like he really likes and looks up to Coach Smith.

We can afford to be more selective and patient with recruiting RB prospects. I just don't see it on film either.

secneahog

Wait till you see this guys senior high school film.  Very impressive runner. 

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

secneahog

Also, we had a Grad transfer rb on campus this weekend.   
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

ricepig

Quote from: secneahog on June 04, 2017, 10:22:18 am
Also, we had a Grad transfer rb on campus this weekend.   
David Williams, USCe grad.

secneahog

Quote from: ricepig on June 04, 2017, 10:29:54 am
David Williams, USCe grad.

Yes I know,  I'm a rivals subscriber ;)

ricepig

Quote from: secneahog on June 04, 2017, 01:38:55 pm
Yes I know,  I'm a rivals subscriber ;)

It was on several other boards as well.