Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shareef O'Neal Decommits From Arizona. Do we go after him to replace Gafford?

Started by FineAsSwine, February 25, 2018, 10:41:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogs run wild

We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

BoarEd

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 25, 2018, 10:41:03 am
Could be some more high quality bigs back on the market this spring.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/msn/shaqs-son-shareef-oneal-decommits-from-arizona-amid-scandal/ar-BBJzdxW

Hopefully some of these guys will be looking to land somewhere not impacted by the FBI investigations.  With a little luck Arkansas will come out of all this smelling like a rose.

Cmheinley

I'm sure he will commit to his dad's Alma matter before coming to Arkansas unfortunately.

Wooderson

Quote from: Cmheinley on February 25, 2018, 10:54:02 am
I'm sure he will commit to his dad's Alma matter before coming to Arkansas unfortunately.

LSU is wrapped up in this also, right?
Give me liberty, or give me death!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 25, 2018, 12:07:59 pm
No, no way this kid is clean.

What? Do you mean Shaquille O'Neal needs to get paid off of his son? Or that Shareef, who has lived a multimillionaire lifestyle with his dad and never known anything but luxury would be out to get a payout? He was the 29th ranked player anyway, not a consensus five star like Ayton.

Not a candidate for bribery if you ask me.

lasthog

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 25, 2018, 12:07:59 pm
No, no way this kid is clean.

I guess stranger things have happened, but Shaq is said to be worth 400 million. I guess an influencer could have been under the influene of dirty money and guided the young man to Arizona, but given all circumstances, it would be unlikely that money played a part in any way.

hogwood

Send Scotty over and go get him! Ha.

Really though, if Gafford makes his decision early on (which I'm not counting on) then the staff could either go after an addition or not.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

onebadrubi

Shaq has openly admitted he received benefits from his days at LSU.  There was an open interview a year or two back about this and he didn't really hold much back.

You guys want to laugh go right ahead, but Shaq know the game.  Why should he had to buy his kid a charger when there is probably 20 schools willing?  There is nothing illegal about a school giving a kid a car, so why should shaq care?  Just because the guy is made millions doesn't mean he isn't going to allow his kid to partake in what many others are. 

It's not a blanket statement and is not made out of "ingnorance". 

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 25, 2018, 02:19:50 pm
Shaq has openly admitted he received benefits from his days at LSU.  There was an open interview a year or two back about this and he didn't really hold much back.

You guys want to laugh go right ahead, but Shaq know the game.  Why should he had to buy his kid a charger when there is probably 20 schools willing?  There is nothing illegal about a school giving a kid a car, so why should shaq care?  Just because the guy is made millions doesn't mean he isn't going to allow his kid to partake in what many others are. 

there isn't anything illegal about giving a player a car?
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

onebadrubi

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 25, 2018, 02:31:34 pm
there isn't anything illegal about giving a player a car?

What laws are being broken?  It is, however, against the spineless NCAA rules though. 

The OTR

I've read a lot of stupid stuff on hogville.  This is the stupidest thing I've read...ever.

(notOM)Rebel123

Heck, we had fans complaining about John Stephen Jones getting offered a scholarship. Heaven forbid we offer Shaq's son a scholarship when Daddy has millions in the bank. Let him walk on. 😉
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: OS2 (SW) Razor Back on February 25, 2018, 03:08:44 pm
He uses Irish Spring and Medicated Gold Bond from what I hear.

Plus, I saw on TV that Shaq couldn't pass the SAT so the coach pulled a fast one and somehow he got eligible. Coach also gave money to several kids on the team. One kid even got a tractor for his dad.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

HogBreath

I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

MountieDawg

Quote from: hogwood on February 25, 2018, 01:06:00 pm
Send Scotty over and go get him! Ha.

Really though, if Gafford makes his decision early on (which I'm not counting on) then the staff could either go after an addition or not.

They should have been recruiting to replace him 8 months ago... I am sure they are trying.
SEC!

Hogz87

So, even though Shaq is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, you think he'd rather let his son partake in the shady/dirty dealings of college recruiting, all because "Shaq know the game", instead of making sure he and/or his son isn't "bought" in any way for Shareef's services?

I second what Skandar Jackson said about your post.

bjeffersonhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 25, 2018, 02:53:42 pm
What laws are being broken?  It is, however, against the spineless NCAA rules though. 

yeah nothing illegal about it at all.... I guess someone forgot to tell the FBI that so they can stop investigating the biggest scandal the NCAA has ever seen.

onebadrubi

Quote from: bjeffersonhog on February 25, 2018, 08:17:29 pm

yeah nothing illegal about it at all.... I guess someone forgot to tell the FBI that so they can stop investigating the biggest scandal the NCAA has ever seen.

You are clueless.  But nice try

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hogz87 on February 25, 2018, 07:41:22 pm
So, even though Shaq is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, you think he'd rather let his son partake in the shady/dirty dealings of college recruiting, all because "Shaq know the game", instead of making sure he and/or his son isn't "bought" in any way for Shareef's services?

I second what Skandar Jackson said about your post.

Yes, shaq made millions doing things pro bono.

bjeffersonhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 25, 2018, 10:39:24 pm

Typical poster.... I have no more facts to dispute your point so I will say you are clueless, dumb, ignorant etc. so I can feel like a winner

99toLife

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 25, 2018, 03:14:53 pm
Plus, I saw on TV that Shaq couldn't pass the SAT so the coach pulled a fast one and somehow he got eligible. Coach also gave money to several kids on the team. One kid even got a tractor for his dad.
Yep, and now he has a legit PHD.  So it's Dr. O'neal. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: bjeffersonhog on February 26, 2018, 11:10:29 am
Typical poster.... I have no more facts to dispute your point so I will say you are clueless, dumb, ignorant etc. so I can feel like a winner

No not at all.  But your comment was so far off base it was dumb to dispute.  You are saying the FBI is investigating cars being given out, no not once in all of this is that been Brought up by the FBI investigation. 

There is nothing illegal in a coach giving a kid a car.  Not one illegal thing.  So again, why I say you are clueless.

You are also clueless, because the FBI is investigating agents, coaches, and show companies, taking and paying money to push kids to certain schools, quid pro quo style. 

So again, yes by your comment in response to the current topic you were clueless. You made no correct point, so facts aren't needed to name you clueless. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 25, 2018, 10:39:24 pm

The coaches arrested have been charged with conspiracy to commit bribery and wire fraud.

Okie Hog

Athog

imtad16

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 26, 2018, 12:23:14 pm
The coaches arrested have been charged with conspiracy to commit bribery and wire fraud.

Not to mention the amount of unpaid tax on all the cash that has changed hands. That is what the government cares about most. The IRS wants their cut here. Tax evasion is what is the real driver in this case.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Okie Hog on February 26, 2018, 12:25:00 pm
Depends on who is or isn't paying taxes on said car.

Yes, exactly.  But nothing illegal in the giving of the car.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: OS2 (SW) Razor Back on February 25, 2018, 03:08:44 pm
He uses Irish Spring and Medicated Gold Bond from what I hear.

Made me spit some of my water. Well played good sir.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

elksnort

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 25, 2018, 12:17:03 pm
What? Do you mean Shaquille O'Neal needs to get paid off of his son? Or that Shareef, who has lived a multimillionaire lifestyle with his dad and never known anything but luxury would be out to get a payout? He was the 29th ranked player anyway, not a consensus five star like Ayton.

Not a candidate for bribery if you ask me.
Exactly. Why in the heck would this kid be on the take? It would be dumb.

Smalltownhog95

Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

Letsroll1200

Quote from: MountieDawg on February 25, 2018, 07:11:21 pm
They should have been recruiting to replace him 8 months ago... I am sure they are trying.

8 months ago Daniel Gafford was a skinny tall kid from El Dorado, AR. with limited offensive skills. Daniel Gafford has gotten better since coming to Arkansas. I saw the kid play several times in high school and AAU, no one projected Gafford to be this good, this soon.

Danny J

We need to still be recruiting 1 big man regardless. I don't want to see a repeat of 2016

The real Hogules

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 26, 2018, 12:27:02 pm
Yes, exactly.  But nothing illegal in the giving of the car.

It's called a bribe! Just because it's not in the form of cash, doesn't make it ANY less illegal.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

hogfanny

No. I don't want any shareef, abu,husein, no matter how tall. Getting beat by Kentucky ain't all that bad

redleg

Gafford hasn't even left yet. I don't think Anderson has any more scholies left for the 2019 class...unless Gafford leaves.
Arkansas needs more than one measly center, I don't care how good he might be.
The 2018-19 Hogs are going to be out-rebounded every game, especially if teams go right at Gafford early and get him into foul trouble, because there won't be anyone one else over 6'9" on that team. They'll have great guard play and great swingman play, but if Gafford is forced to sit, they will have limited presence in the paint. Not to mention, there are ZERO seniors on next year's team, so unless someone transfers or Gafford leaves early, I don't see Mike Anderson signing any other players other than Justice Hill. And even if a player or two leaves, signing one center won't help much. Think...Richardson's Runts of 1993. Then think...Robinson and Wilson added for 1994. I'm not saying these Hogs are that good, but even a novice like myself can see the need for two or more big men in the paint (and I'm not talking about a couple of bean poles that are 6'9" and 200 lbs like Ethan Henderson).
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Paul

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 25, 2018, 03:06:38 pm
Heck, we had fans complaining about John Stephen Jones getting offered a scholarship. Heaven forbid we offer Shaq's son a scholarship when Daddy has millions in the bank. Let him walk on. 😉
I know you're joking but not close in comparison:  one is a 5-star, the other had ONE P5 offer.

Paul

East TN HAWG

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 26, 2018, 12:18:54 pm

There is nothing illegal in a coach giving a kid a car.  Not one illegal thing.  So again, why I say you are clueless.

I think you may be wrong, unless it was reported to the IRS as a gift on federal tax filing.  If not reported, someone probably broke the law when filing their annual taxes. 

Willyboy

Quote from: redleg on February 26, 2018, 03:42:57 pm
Gafford hasn't even left yet. I don't think Anderson has any more scholies left for the 2019 class...unless Gafford leaves.
Arkansas needs more than one measly center, I don't care how good he might be.
The 2018-19 Hogs are going to be out-rebounded every game, especially if teams go right at Gafford early and get him into foul trouble, because there won't be anyone one else over 6'9" on that team. They'll have great guard play and great swingman play, but if Gafford is forced to sit, they will have limited presence in the paint. Not to mention, there are ZERO seniors on next year's team, so unless someone transfers or Gafford leaves early, I don't see Mike Anderson signing any other players other than Justice Hill. And even if a player or two leaves, signing one center won't help much. Think...Richardson's Runts of 1993. Then think...Robinson and Wilson added for 1994. I'm not saying these Hogs are that good, but even a novice like myself can see the need for two or more big men in the paint (and I'm not talking about a couple of bean poles that are 6'9" and 200 lbs like Ethan Henderson).

There's not anyone else over 6'9" on this year's team either.

onebadrubi

Quote from: East TN HAWG on February 26, 2018, 04:38:16 pm
I think you may be wrong, unless it was reported to the IRS as a gift on federal tax filing.  If not reported, someone probably broke the law when filing their annual taxes.

If I buy you a car, I'd assume most are doing that with post tax dollars, dollars they paid income taxes on.  I highly doubt boosters are line itemizing their bags of cash and gifts.    If you are trying to write it off as a business expense (I believe this is what Adidas was doing), then you are really dumb and yes going down a bad road.  The receiver is the one that has to claim it. 

mhuff

The_Iceman

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell

LSU basketball might not sign Shaq's son, but football might gain NFL legacy

QuoteShareef O'Neal, son of LSU and NBA legend Shaquille O'Neal, committed to UCLA on Tuesday night. O'Neal de-committed from Arizona over the weekend in the wake of NCAA scandals rocking the program, and LSU was considered to be one of O'Neal's possible landing spots. But the 6-foot-9, 4-star forward ultimately chose to head out to Los Angeles, which makes sense given his father's nine Hall of Fame seasons with the Los Angeles Lakers.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net