Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

V-Tulsa, Bud Walton Arena, Sunday 2:pm

Started by flippinhogmana, December 08, 2017, 11:17:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on December 10, 2017, 06:32:47 pm
Lots of effort on the boards by everyone.  Still terrible shooting from both the free throw line and 3 pt. line.  Have to improve or will be a long season.

true, in some ways I wouldn't take a lot from this game.  Tulsa shot 20 per cent basically.  Our defense had something to do with that, but not everything. 

But some positive take aways -  It was good to see Mason play well again.  It was good to see Taylah Thomas play well for the first game in several games.  I think that will be good for her confidence. The same for Keriyn Swenson, I think she emerged a little bit more today and the same with Macy Weaver, although not as much.  I think Zimmermann had a good game (she did put up a couple of dog shots after offensive rebounds, but one she did get the offensive boards, and she did get one of the dog shots to go).  if was good to see Williams play maybe her best (but you have to factor the competition level).  It was just good for the whole team to play if they dont make too much out of the margin of victory.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on December 10, 2017, 06:32:47 pm
Lots of effort on the boards by everyone.  Still terrible shooting from both the free throw line and 3 pt. line.  Have to improve or will be a long season.

Agree with this. Fortunately, Tulsa shot worse than we did.

flippinhogmana

I think Macy Weaver is going to be a very good player for us in the not too distant future.  I think she is smart and she is a decent athlete, and she is longer than her 6-3 height (long arms).  She has to get to where she understands that she has to contest for position with the defensive player to receive the post feed.  She has to (1) seal the defender so she can get the pass uncontested (2) when she gets that pass, she has to believe she can score.  I dont think that is really settled in her thinking just yet from watching her.  I say that because once she receives the ball and locates the defender behind her, she doesn't pivot and square up against them facing the basket.  If she truly believed she was going to score, she would be more assertive about in the way she squared up the defender to the basket.  But she is a freshman with not much playing time.  Her best asset is her defense. 

I am glad that she has already came a long way in a short amount of time.  I am also glad that several of our players (Williams, Thomas, Cosper and Weaver - are all good offensive rebounders, zimmer will stick her noise in there too!).  Again, I wont take too much from this game but this team has potential, even this year.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

December 10, 2017, 11:28:17 pm #53 Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 03:02:47 pm by psycHOGlogist
Some interesting comments here and insight into his philosophy. And watch to the end -- I swear, this guy cracks me up. I'm sure he's not for everyone, but I find it impossible not to like this guy.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/neighbors-rebounding-was-key/

(I also like how he doesn't moan about the less than stellar shooting.)

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on December 10, 2017, 11:28:17 pm
Sone interesting comments here and insight into his philosophy. And watch to the end -- I swear, this guy cracks me up. I'm sure he's not for everyone, but I find it impossible not to like this guy.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/neighbors-rebounding-was-key/

(I also like how he doesn't moan about the less than stellar shooting.)
Yes, these are all good points, but I am concerned about the shooting more than most of you.  One thing to note, Cosper is 4 for 27 or .148 from the 3 pt. line the last three games.  A week ago it started at Kansas and I kind of thought that was due to the circumstances, but it continued this past Thursday and Sunday at home.  That has to be a concern.  She is playing a lot of minutes which she did not do in the past. Maybe a week off will fix this issue.

flippinhogmana

sometimes  you can get the notion as the captain that you have to make it happen.  i think she takes a lot of shots where she really isn't in the feel of at the moment.  I think that started to happen with the Nebraska game.  In both that game and in the Kansas and Charlotte game her and Monk, but especially Cosper took rushed shots where they really weren't open.  That can affect you over time.  Shooting is more feel and rhythm that hand to eye coordination and form.  I have seen some players who didn't have good form still be good shooters.

but I think the emergence of Williams, and the steady improvement of Mason - along with her other sisters pulling more of a load - will also have a lot to do with Cosper not feeling pressed as much.  She let the game come to her early in the season - now she starts shooting from the tip on.  the time off couldn't hurt either - but having Williams, Thomas and Macy score inside will help Monk, Mason and Cosper from the outside. 

psycHOGlogist

I wasn't clear - personally, I am very concerned about the low shooting percentage. I just like how Neighbors didn't highlight it in the presser after a win.

I am sure (well, I certainly hope) he will be talking about it to the team!