Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tom Murphy on Finebaum this Afternoon

Started by WilsonHog, October 17, 2017, 06:22:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on October 17, 2017, 09:31:35 pm
I thought the standard complaint was that we didn't offer enough Arkansas kids.

The constant cry is for us to get an Arkansan to lead the athletic department and an Arkansan to coach the Razorbacks.......but it's horrible for us to have Arkansans on the team?

I'll admit, I'm confused now, lol.

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 17, 2017, 07:07:48 pm
Looking at it from a business standpoint why would they want to do that? What Tom Murphy said today solidifies what i have been afraid of for 2 or so years. The administration don't care about winning football games...and Jeff Long is the face of the program.

I think it's very possible there has been a lot of overreaction to Bielema being shown the door at seasons end. Winning expectations here are LOW.

Great question...when is the last time the university fired a coach for not winning enough games? Include basketball and baseball in that question as well. Jack Crowe?
Failphrey

swineology

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 17, 2017, 09:24:36 pm
When half your roster is Arkansas kids you're in trouble.

When you recruit marginal walkons that should be playing at stAte, UCA etc.. you aren't doing good evaluation as a HC.

See 66 on the OL

ZERO

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 17, 2017, 06:22:11 pm
If (3) through (5) and .500 football is the standard to which our BOT, University President, Chancellor, and AD aspires to, then keep Bielema. He's doing the job they want done.

He's not even .500. Not in conference, not overall, not in any capacity. He's not even living up to the dead standard of average.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Mo_Better_Hogs

If (3) through (5) and .500 football is the standard to which our BOT, University President, Chancellor, and AD aspires to, then keep Bielema. He's doing the job they want done.

The .500 record record should not even register. Consider the weaker non-conference teams that help bridge the gap. Bielema is quickly approaching a ONE-THIRD winning percentage in the SEC. We'd ordinarily be talking about a .500 SEC record as average. But 35%? How can anyone justify such a consistently poor showing in your own conference, in year number 5?

Edit--seems ZERO (post above) and I had the same thought at the same time.

GoldCoastHog

Quote from: factchecker on October 17, 2017, 09:31:35 pm
I thought the standard complaint was that we didn't offer enough Arkansas kids.

The constant cry is for us to get an Arkansan to lead the athletic department and an Arkansan to coach the Razorbacks.......but it's horrible for us to have Arkansans on the team?

I like some  of your points. I do believe that we are at our best with local kids. Personally. I think we under recruit the state. I believe we over look talent today, that we didn't twenty or thirty years ago. Why., you ask? We pay too much attention to the so called experts.

Let's be honest, Arkansas doesn't get much and probably enough  coverage by the so called experts.

I'm not so sure that we can't fill half our signing classes with in state kids. I grew up in Pine Bluff, and remember when you could  pick up 2-3 kids just about every year. There's no way  that it has completely dried up.

See, this is where having people in charge make a huge difference. When you abandon or dismiss historic in state recruiting grounds it affects the program. Don't listen to the narrative that there isn't any football talent. Just because the so called experts don't truly evaluate our kids, doesn't mean they aren't worthy.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hobhog on October 17, 2017, 07:35:18 pm
Or maybe he is looking at it rationally and not like a drama queen dumped at prom?

Arkansas football sucking is simply "rational"?  Was playing in the Sugar Bowl and finishing in the top five irrational?

BentonvilleJeff

Some of you wishing to be in another conference so it wouldn't be so hard and you could get some cupcake wins are what I would think of as the ole P word. Wouldn't want you with me in a bunker if a fight broke out.
Also, a true leader can't be afraid of change. One needs to be made and it's time to step up and make the call. It's hard to do, but you have to do it.
Season ticket holder for 24 years. Would be longer but I didn't have the cash when I was 12.

swineology

Quote from: BentonvilleJeff on October 17, 2017, 10:19:26 pm
Some of you wishing to be in another conference so it wouldn't be so hard and you could get some cupcake wins are what I would think of as the ole P word. Wouldn't want you with me in a bunker if a fight broke out.
Also, a true leader can't be afraid of change. One needs to be made and it's time to step up and make the call. It's hard to do, but you have to do it.
Season ticket holder for 24 years. Would be longer but I didn't have the cash when I was 12.

Yup, let's head to CUSA, that's where JFB said we would have ended up when the SWC was toast

hobhog

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 17, 2017, 10:15:33 pm
Arkansas football sucking is simply "rational"?  Was playing in the Sugar Bowl and finishing in the top five irrational?

You're right. He should have said "FIRE EVERYBODY! ARKANSAS SUCKS! WE WILL NEVER BE ANY GOOD AND SHOULD QUIT GOING TO THE GAMES!!!!"

WilsonHog

Quote from: hobhog on October 17, 2017, 10:27:17 pm
You're right. He should have said "FIRE EVERYBODY! ARKANSAS SUCKS! WE WILL NEVER BE ANY GOOD AND SHOULD QUIT GOING TO THE GAMES!!!!"

You said a couple of days ago that you would be upset if we lose Saturday night.

Why?

hobhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 17, 2017, 10:31:25 pm
You said a couple of days ago that you would be upset if we lose Saturday night.

Why?

Huh? Because I hate Auburn and Love the Hogs?

WilsonHog

Quote from: hobhog on October 17, 2017, 10:39:37 pm
Huh? Because I hate Auburn and Love the Hogs?

They're a 14.5 favorite and better than us in every position group. Getting upset over something happening that you should have seen coming on the front end doesn't make much sense.

Now Coastal Carolina, Mizzou, Ole Miss...yeah, they're worse than we are. Those other teams are our betters.

hobhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 17, 2017, 10:44:49 pm
They're a 14.5 favorite and better than us in every position group. Getting upset over something happening that you should have seen coming on the front end doesn't make much sense.

Now Coastal Carolina, Mizzou, Ole Miss...yeah, they're worse than we are. Those other teams are our betters.

I can't just turn it off like you. I still embarrass my wife with my anger and frustration. Only difference in years like these is doesn't last as long. Beer/Crown helps.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hobhog on October 17, 2017, 10:47:04 pm
I can't just turn it off like you. I still embarrass my wife with my anger and frustration. Only difference in years like these is doesn't last as long. Beer/Crown helps.

I will stay for the entire game. Watch every play. I will almost certainly never stand or raise my voice above normal conversational levels. My walk back to 56 afterwards won't feel much different than walking to my truck after a night at the movies.

It's taken a long time, but I am conditioning myself to expect very little out of Razorback football. The last time I was pissed over a game was Mizzou last year, and I think that was the only one.

hobhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 17, 2017, 10:57:05 pm
I will stay for the entire game. Watch every play. I will almost certainly never stand or raise my voice above normal conversational levels. My walk back to 56 afterwards won't feel much different than walking to my truck after a night at the movies.

It's taken a long time, but I am conditioning myself to expect very little out of Razorback football. The last time I was pissed over a game was Mizzou last year, and I think that was the only one.

Sounds like what I would do at a high school game. I'd go to the movies if I were you....

WilsonHog

Quote from: hobhog on October 17, 2017, 11:13:05 pm
Sounds like what I would do at a high school game. I'd go to the movies if I were you....

Nah. I enjoy being in the stadium, and on campus. I wish we had a better football program, but, well, want in one hand and sh*t in the other and see which one gets full first.

PygmalionEffect2

It's definitely a journey to go from the football expectations of the 60's through 80's to what we have now.

The Hootie and Petrino years made it difficult to consistently have low expectations because they could produce a competitive team every 2-3 years which probably produced more up and down expectations from me.

The futility of these last six years has definitely had an impact on my attitude/expectations.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

Jimbob111

1. It's not too early to say he's out however I will argue that it's not too late to say he should be gone.
2. Where will the Hogs become bowl eligible? Which four games will they win?
3. Is he really "doing it right off the field"? So the players aren't getting arrested and aren't flunking. Ok, so the Hogs are paying Bret to act as an academic adviser. His job is to make players do it right ON THE FIELD.
4. Bret has gone out of his way to keep the media from being objective. Look outside of Arkansas to see what objective media are saying about his incompetence.
5. I don't find Bret likeable, I find him to be an insufferable blowhard whose ass can't cash the checks his mouth writes.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

hobhog

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on October 17, 2017, 11:19:49 pm
It's definitely a journey to go from the football expectations of the 60's through 80's to what we have now.

The Hootie and Petrino years made it difficult to consistently have low expectations because they could produce a competitive team every 2-3 years which probably produced more up and down expectations from me.

The futility of these last six years has definitely had an impact on my attitude/expectations.

Just like winning impacts it. Lowering expectations is just defense mechanism.

SchrodingersHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 17, 2017, 08:24:58 pm
What we would see is this again.

No thanks, I've seen enough of that already.

That graphic is not anatomically correct.  The Longhorns are steers.  Judging by recent years, some of them are probably self-identifying as heifers.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hobhog on October 17, 2017, 11:25:46 pm
Just like winning impacts it. Lowering expectations is just defense mechanism.

Unless a man just enjoys putting himself in disappointing situations time after time after time, I fail to see how elevated expectations with what is historically a below .500 team in SEC play makes sense.

Now, if you are a fan of Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, or Tennessee, yeah, I could see reason for raised expectations.

hogblitz

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 09:29:20 pm
46/125 isn't half, you need to figure out scholarship guys from walkons, the LA guys aren't walkons.
Rice, do you believe CBB will be back in 2018?  What is your feel? I am not concerned at this time about replacements.  I just hope to heck he is gone!  Lol

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: swineology on October 17, 2017, 08:24:02 pm
We lost to TCU, we'd lose to OU and OSU on a regular basis. Herman will turn the Shorthorns around. But we could beat Kansas and Baylor every year.

My solution is hire a legit coach that knows the SEC and the recruiting grounds.

my .02
Depends on who the head coach is. We used to eat TCU for lunch and dine on OSU that same evening.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 08:09:26 pm
My brother is a long time OU season ticket holder, easily double the price of ours, I suspect Texas' are as well. Now, we probably could win some more games, but do we get the Louisiana kids playing in the Big 12??

How many All SEC players or NFL players have we had from Louisiana in recent years ?

Inhogswetrust

Finebaum had Murphy of the Democrat-Gazette on to talk about Bret. Here was the gist.

(1) It's too early to say Bielema is out;

(2) He's not at all sure that we can become bowl eligible;

(3) Bret is doing everything right off the field, in terms of players staying out of trouble, going to class, graduating, etc.;

(4) Bret recognizes that the media has a tough job and he goes out of his way to make their job easier; and,

(5) Bret is a likeable guy.

I have no problem believing any of that, but here is my point.

3 through 5 is the standard for that part of his job but the .500 isn't for the other part. Until the point that .500 part outweighs the other parts in their minds then nothing changes. I think that point is fast approaching.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 17, 2017, 07:50:05 pm
I may be in minority among U of A grads and lifetime Razorback fans, but this is how I think as well. I'm not a fan of getting our asses kicked pretty much every year in SEC. I'd rather have false sense of security and win more in Big 12 with lower ticket prices and costs of attending games. But whatever.

What makes you believe all teams win the little 12 have lower ticket prices and costs to attend comparatively. Even if it is true then that says a lot about the little 12. Why stop at the little 12. Lets just go one more step and downsize to the AAC or Sun belt or whatever.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 17, 2017, 08:12:28 pm
I feel like I have a firm grip on reality and what I prefer. Do you?

Looks like you might prefer the two bagger instead of the one bagger.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GoldCoastHog on October 17, 2017, 10:14:39 pm
I like some  of your points. I do believe that we are at our best with local kids. Personally. I think we under recruit the state. I believe we over look talent today, that we didn't twenty or thirty years ago. Why., you ask? We pay too much attention to the so called experts.

Let's be honest, Arkansas doesn't get much and probably enough  coverage by the so called experts.

I'm not so sure that we can't fill half our signing classes with in state kids. I grew up in Pine Bluff, and remember when you could  pick up 2-3 kids just about every year. There's no way  that it has completely dried up.

See, this is where having people in charge make a huge difference. When you abandon or dismiss historic in state recruiting grounds it affects the program. Don't listen to the narrative that there isn't any football talent. Just because the so called experts don't truly evaluate our kids, doesn't mean they aren't worthy.

Those "historic" in state recruiting grounds have dried up more than you think. Are there still some good recruits there of course but not in the numbers that there used to be.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hobhog on October 17, 2017, 10:47:04 pm

Crown helps everything but your liver.

ricepig

Quote from: ImHogginIt on October 18, 2017, 02:45:59 am
How many All SEC players or NFL players have we had from Louisiana in recent years ?

Dude, we're just looking for quality starters.......

ricepig

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 18, 2017, 12:21:42 am
Depends on who the head coach is. We used to eat TCU for lunch and dine on OSU that same evening.

We "used" to be in the SWC, you probably "used" to have hair, lots of "used to". As has been said before, "All sickness isn't death".

ricepig

Quote from: hogblitz on October 17, 2017, 11:51:43 pm
Rice, do you believe CBB will be back in 2018?  What is your feel? I am not concerned at this time about replacements.  I just hope to heck he is gone!  Lol

I don't know, I'd say the next 6 weeks determine his fate, but it may have already been decided.

Hogwild

Quote from: ImHogginIt on October 18, 2017, 02:45:59 am

While it would be nice to get an All SEC player, I would just like to start signing LA players that have an offer from LSU.  Don't want just the players we had to out recruit Tulane and UL-Monore to get.

elksnort

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 06:54:21 pm
Very doubtful, how many games do you make a year, season ticket holder?
Was a South club original season ticket holder and WMS ticket holder until the good games were taken away.
And I went to those games in the early 90s also.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 18, 2017, 06:08:56 am
Those "historic" in state recruiting grounds have dried up more than you think. Are there still some good recruits there of course but not in the numbers that there used to be.

Arkansas politics and messing with school districts have hurt as much as anything probably.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

DeltaBoy

Finebaum had Murphy of the Democrat-Gazette on to talk about Bret. Here was the gist.

(1) It's too early to say Bielema is out;

(2) He's not at all sure that we can become bowl eligible;

(3) Bret is doing everything right off the field, in terms of players staying out of trouble, going to class, graduating, etc.;

(4) Bret recognizes that the media has a tough job and he goes out of his way to make their job easier; and,

(5) Bret is a likeable guy.

I have no problem believing any of that, but here is my point.

#3&#5 are all Long cares about other than Money.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hogwild on October 18, 2017, 07:36:16 am
While it would be nice to get an All SEC player, I would just like to start signing LA players that have an offer from LSU.  Don't want just the players we had to out recruit Tulane and UL-Monore to get.

What if we were to sign a QB that chose UA over a school like OK State?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Bielema has been everything that Wisconsin fans told us he would be.  This pile of crap should not be surprising. Folks in Madison are tickled pink we took him off their hands.

I'll not hold my breath waiting on Jeff Long to correct this.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Redhogs

Quote from: Sundog on October 17, 2017, 09:24:25 pm
Long will not be fired now nor even in the foreseeable future.  Bert will coach in 2018 with an improved record which will be used to justify his continuance.
This is a scary thought...because it is a distinct possibility with Long. This will be pure torture if you are a real RB fan and care at all about winning or being relevent in college football.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

RazorPiggie

Quote from: jneal56 on October 17, 2017, 06:44:23 pm

I've mentioned this before but Bielema is getting a ton of credit for #3 and it's sort of misleading. He mostly recruits the guys that are already well behaved as it is. He mostly recruits the guys that do well in school and want to graduate. He mostly recruits the guys that have parents or guardians that already instilled those mindsets. For recruiting them, I give CBB et al of the credit. But the actuons of the players say more about them and their upbringing as well as character than it does the coaching. I'd like to see he could have the same results by recruiting no more than 5 of the guys who do not fall in that caregory every class. Maybe then we could see some fire on the field from some players who came from nothing. That type of excitement spreads like wild fire. Look at how different the team reacted to CK's attitude in the game. Something to think about at least that is not all doom and gloom about the coaches and players as well as the administration.

LOL. I'd say most of the people that knew me in HS would say I was pretty well behaved. I did well in HS and my parents were always there for me when I needed them. But as soon as I got to the UofA and was out on my own it went downhill. I never went to class. I stayed up late every night playing Xbox/Playstation, partied on the weekends. I ended up getting kicked out of the UofA because my GPA was so low.

So yeah I give CBB credit for #3. Someone has to hold those guys accountable.

hogsanity

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 17, 2017, 08:32:16 pm
We don't have but 14 kids from LA on our roster anyway so it won't hurt much but we have 46 kids from AR. By comparison, OU has only 28 from OK.  It appears to me that we take the easy way out and sign kids from AR that we shouldn't be signing and that, IMO, is why we're struggling. 

Finally someone else says it. While many posters here think we need MORE Ar kids on the team, we really need fewer. There are not 46 kids in a 4 or 5 yr period coming out of Ar HS football that are SEC level players. I'd rather have the 30th rated kid out of Bama, or the 40th from LA or the 50th from Teas than the 10th rated kid from AR many more years than not.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Dear neptune. AR HS football is terrible when compared to the surrounding states and the states in the SEC.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ShadowHawg

Mediocrity

Nutt was mediocre. He claimed if we got to play Vandy and Kentucky more we would have a better Sec record. Then when he actually got to play them he ends up with a losing record with Kentucky and an embarrassing loss to Vandy.

Mediocre people, mediocre programs both have a way of finding mediocrity regardless of their situations.

Moving to the Big XII would only change what conference we were mediocre in.

Until expectations change at the administrative level, we will continue to be mediocre. If the PTB would accept Nutt as having been successful, then there is little chance for high levels of performance.

It's more than just Jeff Long who is satisfied with mediocrity here.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 18, 2017, 09:38:13 am
Mediocrity

Nutt was mediocre. He claimed if we got to play Vandy and Kentucky more we would have a better Sec record. Then when he actually got to play them he ends up with a losing record with Kentucky and an embarrassing loss to Vandy.

Mediocre people, mediocre programs both have a way of finding mediocrity regardless of their situations.

Until expectations change at the administrative level, we will continue to be mediocre. If the PTB would accept Nutt as having been successful, then there is little chance for high levels of performance.

Good post...but I might debate you on whether or not we are mediocre!

ImHogginIt

Quote from: ricepig on October 18, 2017, 07:08:25 am
Dude, we're just looking for quality starters.......

and have not had too many of those from LA

ricepig

Quote from: Hogwild on October 18, 2017, 07:36:16 am

How about the ones that had Bama offers?

The NewEra

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 09:18:25 pm
And, you've got to recruit the marginal Arkansas kids, just a fact of life.

Fitz Hill made an interesting comment about this recently.  He basically said his philosophy of recruiting differed from Bielema's in that Fitz believed a program should recruit great, speedy athletes first and if they had a checkered past it was the coaches job to mold them into upstanding young men.  That a lot of these young men have nothing else in their lives but football and you use that as the leverage to get them to modify their behavior.  His was speaking to the matter of, you can't let great instate talent get away, especially those with great speed.

Fitz has some very compelling views on how to recruit the state of Arkansas and how to cultivate that talent.  I would like to see him in our program at some level. 

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: ImHogginIt on October 18, 2017, 09:44:14 am
and have not had too many of those from LA

I think that Cole Kelley kid may be pretty good.

Redhogs

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 18, 2017, 09:38:13 am
Mediocrity

This should be stickied....100% correct.  My only comment would be that we are not even mediocre...we are very sub mediocre, the worst team in the SEC to be precise @ 10-25 over the last 5 years. How Bert is even still here at this point proves your post to be correct.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?