Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long

Started by cram224, October 16, 2017, 02:03:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cram224

Anybody hearing that Jeff Long will be given a raise and extension on Nov. 8th or 9th. The vote is close.

outlawhogeywells

Not hearing it and hope it does not happen, 

hogsanity

Hope so, just for the server melting tsunami of crying that will hit here.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogsanity on October 16, 2017, 02:14:22 pm

It'll be glorious.

Razorbackers

GuvHog

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on October 16, 2017, 02:06:33 pm
Not hearing it and hope it does not happen, 

I haven't heard that either.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

BorderPatrol

Quote from: GuvHog on October 16, 2017, 03:02:46 pm
I haven't heard that either.

You mean none of your BOT neighbors or phone-a-friends haven't told you about it?

They are falling down on the job.

bp

ricepig

OneTuskOverTheLine™

in before someone calls him a carpet bagger...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

nchogg

Jeff Long will get an extension and a raise. It's not up to us as fans.

Marshfieldhog

I don't have a problem with him staying so long as he is made to fire CBB and is not involved in the final coaching decision of who to hire.

rljjr

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on October 16, 2017, 03:37:03 pm
I don't have a problem with him staying so long as he is made to fire CBB and is not involved in the final coaching decision of who to hire.

You can't have both. Any boss who abdicates his responsibility and authority won't be the boss long. He either stays and hires or leaves. There is no third option.

EastexHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 16, 2017, 02:22:38 pm
It’ll be glorious.

Yes, watching the football program become a laughingstock has been glorious.  Winning is so overrated.

I think we should run a ticker at the bottom of the Jumbotron, sort of like the New York Stock Exchange.  It can show donations and SEC money as soon as it comes in so our fans can keep up with Jeff Long's great work on the financial side.  When Dr. Wilson from Mena pledges $1,000 the PA announcer can excitedly burst out with, "And that's another Arkansas Razorback...CONTRIBUTION!!!"

The crowd can jump to its feet as one and launch into a lusty Hog call.

It will be almost like winning on the field...only different.

hogcard1964

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 16, 2017, 02:22:38 pm
It'll be glorious.

So you want the program to continue to struggle?

Tusks

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 16, 2017, 04:12:32 pm
Yes, watching the football program become a laughingstock has been glorious.  Winning is so overrated.

I think we should run a ticker at the bottom of the Jumbotron, sort of like the New York Stock Exchange.  It can show donations and SEC money as soon as it comes in so our fans can keep up with Jeff Long's great work on the financial side.  When Dr. Wilson from Mena pledges $1,000 the PA announcer can excitedly burst out with, "And that's another Arkansas Razorback...CONTRIBUTION!!!"

The crowd can jump to its feet as one and launch into a lusty Hog call.

It will be almost like winning on the field...only different.

#Glorious
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Grag T

Well I still don't get all the hate and venom so many Hogville folk throw at Mr. Long to be honest.  Seems to be running things well, making nice upgrades here and there that fans get to enjoy.  He even hired someone to coach football who looked absolutely excellent on paper; that doesn't seem to be working out so well though, so he will have to deal with that as any boss should.  People hated Long for the buyout on that deal, then found out the buyout wasn't the outlandish number they were led to believe.  With that, what is there left for people to be so doggone mad at him about? 

Maybe I just live too far away to keep up with these things.  Seems like a decent chap from my house though.  Maybe the problem is that I can't tell much difference between coke and pepsi, since I'm not a big soda drinker anyway.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Grag T on October 16, 2017, 04:23:24 pm
Well I still don't get all the hate and venom so many Hogville folk throw at Mr. Long to be honest.  Seems to be running things well, making nice upgrades here and there that fans get to enjoy.  He even hired someone to coach football who looked absolutely excellent on paper; that doesn't seem to be working out so well though, so he will have to deal with that as any boss should.  People hated Long for the buyout on that deal, then found out the buyout wasn't the outlandish number they were led to believe.  With that, what is there left for people to be so doggone mad at him about? 

Maybe I just live too far away to keep up with these things.  Seems like a decent chap from my house though.  Maybe the problem is that I can't tell much difference between coke and pepsi, since I'm not a big soda drinker anyway.

Things go ditch to ditch round here. We had the GOBN. Then we wanted an outsider to get out of the GOBN days. I guess some want to go back to the GOBN days now. Or, minimally someone with either ties to the state or if an outsider, he must reside from south of the Mason Dixon line to avoid the continued carpetbaggery.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

razorbackfaninar

I was starting to think I was the only one who felt this way.  I don't get it either. Someone told me the other day that he had saddled us with a ton of debt with all of the upgrades to the stadium, but I tried to explain that facilities upgrades are the rule and not the exception in the SEC.  If Long hadn't pushed to upgrade the stadium and other facilities then whoever was the AD next would have.  I wish we were winning football games as well, but I can't see how all the " Jeff Long needs to be fired today" stuff makes any sense.

rhames

The melt here will be worth it 

Even though it probably will mean Bret is 100% toast
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Tusks

Quote from: rhames on October 16, 2017, 04:57:14 pm
The melt here will be worth it 
Even though it probably will mean Bret is 100% toast

If it takes keeping JL to get rid of BB then ok.  I just don't want him hiring the next guy.  He has to learn to live with the next guy and make it work.  If he doesnt like that then hit the road.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

cram224

Next regular meeting is Nov. 8th or 9th. Voting in executive session. 7-3 in favor of Long.

Martygit

Wouldn't surprise me in the least - and, frankly, probably not a bad thing - yeah, there are a whole bunch of you who are pissed because he fired BP and more who are (in 20/20 hindsight) pissed that he hired BB - but he's been good for the overall sports program at the U of A - it would be a mistake to run him off - he knows that BB is a problem and I predict that he will take care of it before too long
RIP OTR, REV

PonderinHog

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on October 16, 2017, 04:37:48 pm
I was starting to think I was the only one who felt this way.  I don't get it either. Someone told me the other day that he had saddled us with a ton of debt with all of the upgrades to the stadium, but I tried to explain that facilities upgrades are the rule and not the exception in the SEC.  If Long hadn't pushed to upgrade the stadium and other facilities then whoever was the AD next would have.  I wish we were winning football games as well, but I can't see how all the " Jeff Long needs to be fired today" stuff makes any sense.
Well, you just might be a carpetbagger...   >:(

swineology

Next1_04

Quote from: nchogg on October 16, 2017, 03:28:28 pm
Jeff Long will get an extension and a raise. It's not up to us as fans.

Just like who the coach is as well. And that's perfectly ok.

Calling All Hogs

It's important that we move to lock down an AD that nobody else wants who locks down a coach nobody else wants.

sickboy

People just look for faces to place blame for the football team not winning. Firing the guy who hired the guy who isn't doing a good enough job is an easy enough jump in logic. So they blame him. Even though they don't really know what an AD does.

Martygit

What he said ^^^^^^^^

I get all the hate because of BP but get over it
RIP OTR, REV

Sed76

But Wally Hall went on Finebaum and said Jeff Long was #1 on the hot seat and he wouldn't have said that without being given permission by the people in the know. At least that was the story last week.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Sed76 on October 16, 2017, 07:09:36 pm
But Wally Hall went on Finebaum and said Jeff Long was #1 on the hot seat and he wouldn't have said that without being given permission by the people in the know. At least that was the story last week.
The situation is fluid...   >:(

hassettsportsman

From the cult classic...Roadhouse...Dalton the Cooler....' It'll get worse before it gets better'....and 'Pain don't hurt'

forrest city joe

Quote from: hogsanity on October 16, 2017, 02:14:22 pm
Which proves you care nothing about the football program.you are part of the problem.

hoghearted

out of curiosity, is it 'normal' to not have a unanimous decision on the AD's contract extension, or would a unanimous vote be the outlier?
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

elviscat

If JL is retained we need to boycott the hogs sports program to show BOT that we are sick of this crap.

ricepig

Quote from: elviscat on October 16, 2017, 07:57:45 pm
If JL is retained we need to boycott the hogs sports program to show BOT that we are sick of this crap.

You can voice your opinion to them, or one of them anytime you please. I'm sure they will listen to all input.

hobhog

Another rant from a poster who doesn't go to the games in the first place and who has no clue what makes programs better than others.....

hawgon

If the vote is what is reported, he is in his way out.  It may not be this year, but he'll leave before too long.

Martygit

Quote from: Sed76 on October 16, 2017, 07:09:36 pm

WH doesn't know his ass from 3rd base (oh, wait - is that the wrong sport??)
RIP OTR, REV

Pigdiana Jones

"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

grayhawg

October 16, 2017, 09:15:02 pm #39 Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:26:25 pm by grayhawg
Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 16, 2017, 09:09:48 pm
I want him to stay!  You people don't have a clue!  He is the AD.  So what, he got hoodwinked by BB, so did most posters on the site.  He has taken every sports facility at UA to cutting edge 21st century...  The UA is ranked in the top 15 money makers.  The sports program is dumping money into academics all over the campus!  If you people can put down the stupid rebel flag and realize the south LOST and will NEVER rise again and stop persecuting the man because he is from the north, and read your Foundation report, oh I forgot, you don't understand math, you would understand this is an AD we don't need to lose!  So what, he made a bad hire in BB, name me ONE AD who hasn't.  I'm all in for JL!
Disagree

There are 7 in the SEC over us, So we are in the bottom 1/2 of the SEC.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/08/ranking_the_richest_and_poores.html

hobhog

Quote from: hawgon on October 16, 2017, 08:04:12 pm
If the vote is what is reported, he is in his way out.  It may not be this year, but he'll leave before too long.

What vote is being reported?

longpig

Pretty sure we'll contribute more if Long is retained.  Good damn AD.
Don't be scared, be smart.

EastexHawg

He hired the two worst football coaches in our history, John L. Smith and Bielema.  When you're an executive pulling in seven figures every year and the company goes from a national leader to bottom feeder after your decisions you don't get to say to the board, "Yeah, but people around the country and on message boards thought it was a good idea."

As far as the money goes, Long keeping the athletic department in the black isn't anything even a slightly competent AD couldn't do given how much cash the SEC ships to us every year.  Just about any decent CPA could do the same thing, for that matter.

longpig

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 16, 2017, 09:31:02 pm
He hired the two worst football coaches in our history, John L. Smith and Bielema.  When you're an executive pulling in seven figures every year and the company goes from a national leader to bottom feeder after your decisions you don't get to say to the board, "Yeah, but people around the country and on message boards thought it was a good idea."

As far as the money goes, Long keeping the athletic department in the black isn't anything even a slightly competent AD couldn't do given how much cash the SEC ships to us every year.  Just about any decent CPA could do the same thing, for that matter.

Pretty sure all SEC members get the same size shipment and few do as well financially.  Long is an ace.
Don't be scared, be smart.

grayhawg

Quote from: longpig on October 16, 2017, 09:34:35 pm
Pretty sure all SEC members get the same size shipment and few do as well financially.  Long is an ace.
We are in the bottom 1/2 of the SEC.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/08/ranking_the_richest_and_poores.html

EastexHawg

Quote from: longpig on October 16, 2017, 09:34:35 pm

Every school in the SEC makes a profit.  Every one of them.  Kentucky, the Mississippi schools, Missouri, South Carolina...all of them.  I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about the idea that the SEC contracts are so lucrative, and that every school gets so much money, that a drunk college student couldn't put one of them in the red if he tried.

hawgon

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 16, 2017, 09:40:58 pm
Every school in the SEC makes a profit.  Every one of them.  Kentucky, the Mississippi schools, Missouri, South Carolina...all of them.  I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about the idea that the SEC contracts are so lucrative, and that every school gets so much money, that a drunk college student couldn't put one of them in the red if he tried.

For that matter, 25 years ago when I was in the Hill, that was one of the talking points then about JFB.  Arkansas has always been a school that turned a profit be required no student fees.  Jeff Long is literally doing nothing that hasn't been done up there for at least the last 30 years.

ricepig

Quote from: hobhog on October 16, 2017, 09:19:55 pm
What vote is being reported?

The one in the heads of HV posters.

hogsanity

I wish we were winning football games as well, but I can't see how all the " Jeff Long needs to be fired today" stuff makes any sense.

Calling for the AD to be fired is much easier than facing up to the actual problems with the football program. Many of which stem from Arkansas being to small and too white, and I am referring to the state not the team.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

grayhawg