Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BREAKING (7/24/17): Hogs offer '18 PF Amanze Ngumezi ... plus more news

Started by Kevin McPherson, July 24, 2017, 02:54:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

The_Iceman

klp1

Physically,  he is most impressive recruit that we are in on.   He's another "hot" name national right now.  But he'd be a perfect fit for what we need.

Pinto

The_Iceman

Out of state: check
Other major offers: check
In high school: check

= We will never get them.

Follow that formula, and you will be correct most of the time in predicting if we ever sign the kid.

navyhog24

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 24, 2017, 03:21:11 pm

Follow that formula, and you will be correct most of the time in predicting if we ever sign the kid.

Plus, being a late offer.

batmanfan

Here is the thing Iceman....we had 4 guys committed at the end of the summer last year.....and all we talked about how far ahead of the curve we were...and we were. There was also talk about how this staff would be able to zero in on certain recruits/positions of need and getting in n those guys early....

Well what happened? What did the staff do for this class since last August? Now we are just offering the flavor of the weekend like a number of other schools and hoping something sticks. Thats the way it seems to me anyway. Right now we really don't have any hot targets right now with anyone.

Like really...what did this staff do from last August till the spring? It feels like they took a big ole break and then were like...oh ya we got to keep recruiting for these 2...errr 3 spots.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

MakingPlays

I know I'm new here, but what's up with all the negativity, when Kevin is providing free recruiting news?  Seems kinda rude, he doesn't have to share this information.

Our 2016 class was really good.  I think Macon and Barford will be all SEC next year.  2017 also looks really good, wouldn't surprise me if Garland and Gafford ended up making the all freshman SEC team.  Not much to really complain about other than losing Perry, but I heard some people say shady stuff was going on with that situation.   

batmanfan

Quote from: MakingPlays on July 24, 2017, 07:47:40 pm
I know I'm new here, but what's up with all the negativity, when Kevin is providing free recruiting news?  Seems kinda rude, he doesn't have to share this information.

Our 2016 class was really good.  I think Macon and Barford will be all SEC next year.  2017 also looks really good, wouldn't surprise me if Garland and Gafford ended up making the all freshman SEC team.  Not much to really complain about other than losing Perry, but I heard some people say shady stuff was going on with that situation.   

Nah, Kev knows we all appreciate what he does here. We are critical of the staff at times, not at Kev.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

Kevin McPherson

Otis

Davenport saying he's 100% sure we haven't offered Ngumezi??

NWAHog479

"They're at the top of my list"... We need to put the full-court press on Horton and get this guy signed. We NEED another big, and we REALLY need somebody that WANTS to be here. Could be fun.

nwahogfan1

I am in your camp.  I have no problem with us offering him but Mike Anderson has a horrible track record signing out of state kids who are highly ranked unless he has an in and apparently we do not.

I hope Mike has a workable plan on signing a big man who is  good at playing inside.   I think he will probable try to sign a JUCO big man.  We could use a couple JUCO players if Studs in that Junior class to break up the classes.

SRV

Unfortunately, you just have to get used to overlooking the negativity and bitterness on hogville.
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

Pinto

Quote from: NWAHog479 on July 25, 2017, 08:41:33 am
"They're at the top of my list"... We need to put the full-court press on Horton and get this guy signed. We NEED another big, and we REALLY need somebody that WANTS to be here. Could be fun.

We really need someone who can actually play too though...

Big Nasty 34

From what little bit I've seen of Horton, I really like him. Looks like he can provide great length and athleticism down low. He also has a decent shot that could be a nice weapon.  Don't know if we can get anyone better at this point.

We don't need a guy to be a 20 10 guy down low. We will be very guard heavy in the next few years and need bigs who can handle themselves defensively against Kentucky, Florida, etc.

Pinto

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on July 25, 2017, 09:46:06 am
From what little bit I've seen of Horton, I really like him. Looks like he can provide great length and athleticism down low. He also has a decent shot that could be a nice weapon.  Don't know if we can get anyone better at this point.

We don't need a guy to be a 20 10 guy down low. We will be very guard heavy in the next few years and need bigs who can handle themselves defensively against Kentucky, Florida, etc.

Lol people said the same think about Willie Kouassi too. "Length and athleticism". He did make major improvements from high school to JUCO so maybe he can improve just as much in the next transition

Hawg Red

When I first saw the tweet with Horton's JUCO stat line, I was like, "Please, no." But I feel like we've gotten some encouraging perspective since. 7'3 wingspan, strong rim protector, and athletic. Also opens up another spot for that talent-rich in-state 2020 class.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Pinto on July 25, 2017, 09:49:53 am
Lol people said the same think about Willie Kouassi too. "Length and athleticism". He did make major improvements from high school to JUCO so maybe he can improve just as much in the next transition

3 scholarships available. Be realistic. I hope Horton isn't the best player we sign to finish the class, but there's nothing wrong with having a guy like this among a 6-player recruiting class.

Pinto

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 25, 2017, 10:11:49 am
3 scholarships available. Be realistic. I hope Horton isn't the best player we sign to finish the class, but there's nothing wrong with having a guy like this among a 6-player recruiting class.

We have 3 available? Thought we only had two?

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 25, 2017, 10:11:49 am

With the spots Arkansas has open, they can afford to take a project type player.

batmanfan

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on July 25, 2017, 10:19:00 am
With the spots Arkansas has open, they can afford to take a project type player.

As long as the project type player isnt a JUCO. That wouldn't make any sense.

batmanfan

Ngumezi came out today and talked about teams he liked the most/were recruiting him the hardest and we weren't one of them. The crap didn't stick to the wall this time for this staff. Maybe one of the other flavors of the weekend will.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Pinto on July 25, 2017, 10:18:48 am
We have 3 available? Thought we only had two?

There are 6 seniors (Macon, Barford, Beard, Thompson, Cook, Thomas) and 3 committed for 2018 (Joe, Sills, Henderson).

6-3 = 3

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Pinto on July 25, 2017, 09:49:53 am

Please tell me a better option that would actually sign with us to back up Daniel Gafford. You don't want Ethan Henderson as your backup 5 lol.

King Kong

The only exceptions would be Whitt and Kapita. Which aren't anything to brag about

Hawg Red

I don't blame people for not getting excited about a player like Horton, but even good programs have guys like him. He checks a lot of boxes as a reserve big man. We're not going to be signing a 4-star big man. I just don't see it happening. Anderson has a good track record with JUCO players. If these guy is a late summer target for Mike, I'm on board. I can see the fit and I'm under no illusion that this kid is anything other than a role player off the bench. Which is fine when you have a guy like Gafford in front of him.

navyhog24

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 25, 2017, 11:54:31 am
I don't blame people for not getting excited about a player like Horton, but even good programs have guys like him. He checks a lot of boxes as a reserve big man. We're not going to be signing a 4-star big man. I just don't see it happening. Anderson has a good track record with JUCO players. If these guy is a late summer target for Mike, I'm on board. I can see the fit and I'm under no illusion that this kid is anything other than a role player off the bench. Which is fine when you have a guy like Gafford in front of him.

I agree. He really looks better than what we have at the 4 with Thomas and Cook. He's better than them and would get more PT than them. We need another big that can back up Gafford. They don't have to be major offensive threats as long as they aren't defensive liabilities.

King Kong

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 25, 2017, 11:54:31 am

Correct. All teams need role players. Especially role players that can Block Shots and run the floor.

If we didn't have Gafford recruiting Horton (who still hasn't been offered) would be more of a red flag.

Horton is similar to Pel recruiting Delvin Johnson

Pinto

Quote from: navyhog24 on July 25, 2017, 12:02:45 pm
I agree. He really looks better than what we have at the 4 with Thomas and Cook. He's better than them and would get more PT than them. We need another big that can back up Gafford. They don't have to be major offensive threats as long as they aren't defensive liabilities.

Slow down now. You're getting waaaay ahead of yourself saying Horton is better than Thomas and Cook. What are you basing this evaluation off of?

navyhog24

Quote from: Pinto on July 25, 2017, 01:20:06 pm
Slow down now. You're getting waaaay ahead of yourself saying Horton is better than Thomas and Cook. What are you basing this evaluation off of?

Other than one decent game against Seton Hall, what did Thomas do? What has Cook done?

You act like they're world beaters.

poloprince

You will learn soon enough to ignore a select few
$PoLoPrInCe$

Pinto

Quote from: navyhog24 on July 25, 2017, 01:30:38 pm
Other than one decent game against Seton Hall, what did Thomas do? What has Cook done?

You act like they're world beaters.

How am I acting like that? What makes you think Horton is better though?

navyhog24

Quote from: Pinto on July 25, 2017, 02:47:57 pm
How am I acting like that? What makes you think Horton is better though?

He definitely can't be any worse. He actually looks like he likes playing inside, has a defensive presence, looks to be a decent rebounder, and is 6'10". Cook and Thomas have no defensive presence to them other  than being foul machines. Also, Gafford would be the only one 6'10"+ if we don't land another 5. We all know MA would probably play Gafford and Horton at the same time at times as well.

Pinto

Quote from: navyhog24 on July 25, 2017, 03:13:14 pm
He definitely can't be any worse. He actually looks like he likes playing inside, has a defensive presence, looks to be a decent rebounder, and is 6'10". Cook and Thomas have no defensive presence to them other  than being foul machines. Also, Gafford would be the only one 6'10"+ if we don't land another 5. We all know MA would probably play Gafford and Horton at the same time at times as well.

He could definitely be worse lol. Horton would be a backup 5 so the comparison to Cook and Thomas who will not be on that roster is irrelevant anyways.

Pinto

Quote from: King Kong on July 25, 2017, 12:04:32 pm
Correct. All teams need role players. Especially role players that can Block Shots and run the floor.

If we didn't have Gafford recruiting Horton (who still hasn't been offered) would be more of a red flag.

Horton is similar to Pel recruiting Delvin Johnson

I'd be happy if he is a paint protector like Delvon.

JayHog

Quote from: Pinto on July 25, 2017, 01:20:06 pm

I agree. Cook was ranked as a top 5 JUCO player coming out of JUCO a year ago. Horton is no where near that.

batmanfan

Quote from: JayHog on July 25, 2017, 04:54:35 pm
I agree. Cook was ranked as a top 5 JUCO player coming out of JUCO a year ago. Horton is no where near that.

How do you know that? There are not any 2018 Juco rankings out yet.  From the amount of interest from high major schools he is getting this early in the process I'm guessing he'll be top 5-10.

Pinto

Quote from: batmanfan on July 25, 2017, 05:44:57 pm
How do you know that? There are not any 2018 Juco rankings out yet.  From the amount of interest from high major schools he is getting this early in the process I'm guessing he'll be top 5-10.

I went to go watch Cook play vs Arkansas Baptist and he definitely didn't look like a top 5 player that game. They had a guy who went to Arkansas State who was better. Maybe it was just a bad game but at the moment, I had no clue on why we offered him. Hopefully he has one of those Coty Clarke type improvements for us this year. If not, I hope Horton is better if we get him.

King Kong

Quote from: Pinto on July 26, 2017, 07:24:48 am
I went to go watch Cook play vs Arkansas Baptist and he definitely didn't look like a top 5 player that game. They had a guy who went to Arkansas State who was better. Maybe it was just a bad game but at the moment, I had no clue on why we offered him. Hopefully he has one of those Coty Clarke type improvements for us this year. If not, I hope Horton is better if we get him.

Cook had 18pts and 12rebs that game.

I mean I understand Cook doesn't stand out but everything he does is positive. Similar to Manny at a different position. Takes high % shots, hustle plays and keep the ball moving offense and plays good defense and can defend multiple positions

Hawg Red

Quote from: Pinto on July 26, 2017, 07:24:48 am

More like a Delvon Johnson/Jabril Durham-type improvement. Coty Clarke was decent/good for a junior out of JUCO -- 7.6 PPG, 5.2 RPG, 1.4 SPG, 51.4% FG, 47.4% 3PT. Cook's production was more similar to the other two.

NWAHog479

Hopefully Cook/Thomas/Bailey have developed a jumper that has extended out to the 3-point line this summer. Thomas knocked the mid-range down every now & again, but was never consistent.

Pinto

Quote from: King Kong on July 26, 2017, 07:49:37 am
Cook had 18pts and 12rebs that game.

I mean I understand Cook doesn't stand out but everything he does is positive. Similar to Manny at a different position. Takes high % shots, hustle plays and keep the ball moving offense and plays good defense and can defend multiple positions

No he didn't. He had like 6 & 4. I'm referring to the game in Warner, not LR.

batmanfan

Looks like he had 7 and 1 for the game you were at and 16 and 10 at the game at Connors. He likely knew that, but it didn't fit his agenda so he twisted things up a bit.

Pinto

Quote from: batmanfan on July 26, 2017, 10:32:21 am
Looks like he had 7 and 1 for the game you were at and 16 and 10 at the game at Connors. He likely knew that, but it didn't fit his agenda so he twisted things up a bit.
You might be looking at the wrong season. I went to game at Connors and he def didn't have 16 points. They loss to ABC

batmanfan

Quote from: Pinto on July 26, 2017, 10:46:35 am
You might be looking at the wrong season. I went to game at Connors and he def didn't have 16 points. They loss to ABC

You are right. Was looking at '15. Game at Connors he had 7 and 7 with 5 TO's. Game at Ark. B he had 18 and 12. Basically flipped his performances from the year before.

Pinto

Quote from: batmanfan on July 26, 2017, 11:13:40 am
You are right. Was looking at '15. Game at Connors he had 7 and 7 with 5 TO's. Game at Ark. B he had 18 and 12. Basically flipped his performances from the year before.

Hopefully he can be a high energy guy who can knock down open midrange shots for us next year. He's not the most athletic so he's going to have to bust his butt. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress Drio has made over the offseason. He could be the X-factor along with Darious Hall. Daedae is a very hard worker and I'm hearing he has already drastically improved his game...