Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Class Update

Started by Rock City Razorback, July 12, 2017, 07:30:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock City Razorback

With the new signing date in effect, 9 already committed with a few that look likely this month, and it being a small numbers year, this class seems almost done. Bishop committing Saturday and one would think he'll be a Hog, but I honestly could see a surprise there for whatever reason. Jones, Fulwider and Wren are all visiting later this month and all are likely to commit. This would be Fulwider's second visit in as many months. Luke Jones is an in-state OL that earned an offer at camp, and was thought to commit same night as Nichols/Gatlin. Wren seems to be most likely get at OLB now after Geathers and Hobbs chose elsewhere, and White not likely. He's announced a decision date of September 27. That would bring the total to 13. It would be ideal to round out the class with one of the highly ranked OL of Sewell, Simpson or Dunlap (possibly Carvin), Bohanon, a WR and TE. I've heard grumblings of Erik Ezukanma for WR, but how much traction that has, I don't know. At TE, Ford would be awesome to get back and Beal has us in his Top 6. Obviously could go in different direction of taking another DL or OLB, not taking a WR at all or a change in the RB situation. It'll be interesting to see what plays out, but things seem to be coming together by the time season rolls around. Go Hogs!

Richard Davenport

I expect them to have the majority of the class done before the season and will try and close out the remaining spot or two during the season.

tophawg19

i think there will be more spots available after the season as the guys see where they fit in a 3-4 . Also I think there will be some looking to move on if the young DB's come on like i Believe they will. I also expect a bit of movement at Wr and wouldn't be shocked by a TE and an O_Line guy or two. I'm thinking this may be a transition year for the hogs
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ricepig

Well, it looks like Bishop is MSU bound, and as RD reported, Fulwider isn't visiting anytime soon, so while some thought we would get 4 more commits real soon, it appears Jones is the only "sure" bet, anytime soon.

King Kong

Quote from: ricepig on July 13, 2017, 07:07:14 am
Well, it looks like Bishop is MSU bound, and as RD reported, Fulwider isn't visiting anytime soon, so while some thought we would get 4 more commits real soon, it appears Jones is the only "sure" bet, anytime soon.

We done at DB if we don't get Bishop?

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

secneahog

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

secneahog

Richard Davenport

Is Fulwider canceling his visit and visiting Vandy instead?
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

presidenthog

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on July 25, 2017, 10:04:59 pm
With Mincey being added to the fold, looks like we're finished at DE as he may have taken Fulwider's spot. May still add a DT, but nothing definite. Would be nice to add McNeill, but haven't heard anything on him in awhile. Calvin Avery is from Bishop Dunne, so connection there, but doesn't appear to have much interest. There's also Tart and Humphrey, both JUCO guys. With one JUCO DT already committed in Gooden, may not take another. Ezukanma is now listed as 100% CB prediction, but haven't heard of him visiting. Total commits stand at 11, so 4-5 more. Interested to hear others' theories on who will be the last few and what the total number will be. Hopefully we have a great season and have room for 1-2 more after it's completed and can bring in high-profile talent!

I think we are at 2-3 max.

Wren
Ezukanma
And a final spot will be held for bohanon. That will be your class.

All in all a very good class with alot of upside and guys who can make It to the next level.

I think now that we are out of big time tight ends we will move onto ezukanma. You don't pass up NFL talent. Had we kept Ford we might not have taken him but I believe we will now and go full court on TEs in 2019.

redleg

I do not see Gerry Bohanon signing with Arkansas. He may see that his running QB skill set doesn't fit Arkansas' pro-style offense. I feel he is headed for Baylor. They run a spread-option offense that is better suited for him. Personally, I think Bohanon would be a better fit for the long haul as an OLB for the Hogs...but I doubt that will happen.

With 11 verbals as of yesterday, these players may be some of the final four that sign (although two or three more scholies may open up after the season with transfers and dismissals):
4* WR Erik Ezukanma Keller, TX.
3* LB Maureese Wren Mesquite, TX.
4* DT Tayland Humphrey Hutchinson C.C., KS.
3* DE Nick Fulwider Tyrone, GA.
3* RB Demarcus Townsend Naples, FL.
4* WR Lawrence Keys III New Orleans, LA.
4* DT Trevor Trout St. Louis, MO.
4* OLB DaShaun White North Richland Hills, TX.
3* OL Jax Gasaway Star City, AR.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

ricepig

Quote from: redleg on July 26, 2017, 09:06:16 am
I do not see Gerry Bohanon signing with Arkansas. He may see that his running QB skill set doesn't fit Arkansas' pro-style offense. I feel he is headed for Baylor. They run a spread-option offense that is better suited for him. Personally, I think Bohanon would be a better fit for the long haul as an OLB for the Hogs...but I doubt that will happen.

With 11 verbals as of yesterday, these players may be some of the final four that sign (although two or three more scholies may open up after the season with transfers and dismissals):

We have 13 as of today, you have to count Henry and Clary in this class. So, potentially only 2 more, but most think it will grow another 2.

RWQ

Thank you for this reasonable, civil, and intelligent discussion regarding the 2018 recruiting class.
U of A Grad December 1989

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on July 26, 2017, 09:29:25 am
We have 13 as of today, you have to count Henry and Clary in this class. So, potentially only 2 more, but most think it will grow another 2.

This classes sheer numbers could hurt Bielema, but we will see.  We really need front 7 bodies on D and OL, but you don't turn down Erik E if he wants to come here.  I said it last year and the previous year, those recruiting classes really did this entire football team well and covered all basis across the board.  I hate to see we slack up on that, but it's just how it worked out.

jgphillips3

Interestingly enough, we may finally be seeing the Bielema plan come to fruition.  With Arkansas kids or Arkansas connections we usually wind up with 10-12 kids each recruiting class that could play anywhere.  The remaining 13-15 are good, but not outstanding. 

Now that Bielema has built depth and low attrition, we may have only 18 signees a year.  However, if we are still getting 12 studs, the quality of player at every position goes up significantly.  Whereas before, perhaps 40-45% of our class were studs.  Now every class could be 65% studs. That kind of jump in talent could allow you to at least compete with Bama and win every few years with a shot to do more a couple times a decade.

Oklahawg

Quote from: jgphillips3 on July 26, 2017, 08:43:15 pm
Interestingly enough, we may finally be seeing the Bielema plan come to fruition.  With Arkansas kids or Arkansas connections we usually wind up with 10-12 kids each recruiting class that could play anywhere.  The remaining 13-15 are good, but not outstanding. 

Now that Bielema has built depth and low attrition, we may have only 18 signees a year.  However, if we are still getting 12 studs, the quality of player at every position goes up significantly.  Whereas before, perhaps 40-45% of our class were studs.  Now every class could be 65% studs. That kind of jump in talent could allow you to at least compete with Bama and win every few years with a shot to do more a couple times a decade.

I can buy this thinking.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

By shooting really high for the final couple of slots the hogs are likely chasing players who will commit much closer to signing day. That means we will have a better idea on total numbers before they decide to commit.

Bohanon + Wren and a top-end OL. They will shoot for the moon with these slots as they have good fallback plans.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

presidenthog

Speaking of wren. Anyone know how his visit is going?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: redleg on July 26, 2017, 09:06:16 am

Russell Wilson didn't do to bad in Bret Bielema's pro-style offense. Just a thought... :-\
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hawg IQ

Quote from: ricepig on July 26, 2017, 09:29:25 am
can you post a list of the ones already committed-thanks in advance
go hogs go !

ricepig

Quote from: hawg IQ on July 27, 2017, 09:59:20 am
can you post a list of the ones already committed-thanks in advance

Add Ty Clary and Hayden Henry

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Commits/

onebadrubi

HogCzar1

Quote from: presidenthog on July 26, 2017, 11:24:05 pm
Speaking of wren. Anyone know how his visit is going?

Not sure, but heard he tweeted that he was going to visit Colorado after his visit here.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: HogCzar1 on July 27, 2017, 10:49:57 pm
Not sure, but heard he tweeted that he was going to visit Colorado after his visit here.

I really want the kid but I totally understand him visiting lots of schools.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on July 28, 2017, 01:20:38 am
Would be tough to lose another to CU after Edwards spurned us for them, we settled on Melvin Johnson and he never made it to campus. Edwards would have been a big boost on a thin DL this year transitioning to the 3-4. That being said, I do feel confident in landing Wren. Coaches are going all in on him, as we've lost out on previous OLB targets this year, and DaShaun White seems headed elsewhere as well.

Baylor is the bigger concern for Wren. Colorado was able to convince Edwards by offering his best friend on his Juco team a spot

onebadrubi

CU lost there D.C. After last season who was really good.  I expect them to take a step back in play this year.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on July 28, 2017, 01:20:38 am
Would be tough to lose another to CU after Edwards spurned us for them, we settled on Melvin Johnson and he never made it to campus. Edwards would have been a big boost on a thin DL this year transitioning to the 3-4. That being said, I do feel confident in landing Wren. Coaches are going all in on him, as we've lost out on previous OLB targets this year, and DaShaun White seems headed elsewhere as well.

Last I heard we hadn't lost Melvin Johnson but that his arrival was delayed to just before school starts. Has that changed?
Go Hogs Go!

King Kong

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 28, 2017, 07:48:13 am
Last I heard we hadn't lost Melvin Johnson but that his arrival was delayed to just before school starts. Has that changed?

The option for him to arrive in January is still an open. However some believe due to our limited number of scholarships we may move on to other prospects that we like better

The coaches really wanted Johnson to come in and Redshirt a year under Herb to get him ready.

secneahog

Quote from: King Kong on July 28, 2017, 08:02:47 am
The option for him to arrive in January is still an open. However some believe due to our limited number of scholarships we may move on to other prospects that we like better

The coaches really wanted Johnson to come in and Redshirt a year under Herb to get him ready.

This.  The process has worked out nicely for Juco Gabe Richardson. He's going to get a lot of PT.

ricepig

January at the earliest, is my understanding.

Peter Porker

I thought CBB said he would be a December enrollee now.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

ricepig

Quote from: Peter Porker on July 28, 2017, 11:40:21 am

That's the plan as of today.

parallaxpig

Quote from: Peter Porker on July 28, 2017, 11:40:21 am

If he passes his classes.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on July 28, 2017, 10:08:57 am
January at the earliest, is my understanding.

That really is too bad. I hope he makes it, for him.
Go Hogs Go!