Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 25, 2024, 04:41:44 pm

TJ Moss

Started by NWAHog479, June 26, 2017, 09:17:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NWAHog479

Any update on Moss, are we still in contact with him? 247 has him going to Iowa State, just haven't heard anything about him in awhile or Alex Lomax.

mhuff

Wondered about both. Thanks for thread

batmanfan

He aint coming. Seemed like another top 50-100 guy who didn't give the staff the time of day.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: batmanfan on June 26, 2017, 04:37:38 pm
He aint coming. Seemed like another top 50-100 guy who didn't give the staff the time of day.

Takes after you.

batmanfan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 26, 2017, 04:57:41 pm
Takes after you.

What did I say that wasn't factual? It's sad but true.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

ShadowHawg

June 27, 2017, 02:20:44 pm #5 Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 02:51:06 pm by ShadowHawg
Quote from: batmanfan on June 27, 2017, 01:11:35 pm

So how many top 100 guys are supposed to be waiting on Arkansas to talk to them in your opinion?

I mean didn't we just sign 5 guys this past season? One we held for a guard/point guard that we got visits from top 100 guys before going the transfer route. The last was a late fill for a player transferring out.

So for you to be correct, the fact that not all 100 top rated guys weren't interested in playing here knowing that we had 4 open slots is somehow an indictment on the staff?

How many top 100 guys do we have coming in these next 2 classes already? Isn't a Weaver, another guy with a lot of Arkansas interest top 100?

You should come out of the batcave to play lego's more often.

batmanfan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 27, 2017, 02:20:44 pm
So how many top 100 guys are supposed to be waiting on Arkansas to talk to them in your opinion?

I mean didn't we just sign 5 guys this past season? One we held for a guard/point guard that we got visits from top 100 guys before going the transfer route. The last was a late fill for a player transferring out.

So for you to be correct, the fact that not all 100 top rated guys weren't interested in playing here knowing that we had 4 open slots is somehow an indictment on the staff?

How many top 100 guys do we have coming in these next 2 classes already? Isn't a Weaver, another guy with a lot of Arkansas interest top 100?

You should come out of the batcave to play lego's more often.

You are the one who needs to do a bit of research. Year after year we target top 50-125 prospects from out of state and every year its the same deal. Maybe you should check on what some of the other lesser programs like Auburn, MSU and Bama are doing in recruiting. Things we are not.

I like what the '17 and '18 classes are looking like, but it's looking more like those were due to luck and connections in state obviously than anything else. Out of state is still a MAJOR struggle for this staff as we continue to see.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: batmanfan on June 27, 2017, 04:38:57 pm
You are the one who needs to do a bit of research. Year after year we target top 50-125 prospects from out of state and every year its the same deal. Maybe you should check on what some of the other lesser programs like Auburn, MSU and Bama are doing in recruiting. Things we are not.

I like what the '17 and '18 classes are looking like, but it's looking more like those were due to luck and connections in state obviously than anything else. Out of state is still a MAJOR struggle for this staff as we continue to see.

Proximity is the biggest factor in recruiting if you actually do homework on the subject.

Arkansas has never consistently pulled anything more than regional talent. The problem with that these days has been the rise of programs like OU, Texas, A&M, and Memphis in our previous "out of state" talent pool.

You just have an agenda and it's one based in poor understanding of today's recruiting climate and what drives commitments. PJ Dozier was from South Carolina as was Sindarius Thornwell. Most of Miss St classes have been from in state.

Auburn, think Georgia and Alabama basically as their home "state" they have a total of 2 guys from previous classes and current commits not from Alabama or Georgia.

You are woefully uninformed.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: batmanfan on June 27, 2017, 04:38:57 pm

Go find another school to be a fan of...you are a pathetic excuse of a Hog fan.
SCREW Vandy!

batmanfan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 27, 2017, 05:20:53 pm
Proximity is the biggest factor in recruiting if you actually do homework on the subject.

Arkansas has never consistently pulled anything more than regional talent. The problem with that these days has been the rise of programs like OU, Texas, A&M, and Memphis in our previous "out of state" talent pool.

You just have an agenda and it's one based in poor understanding of today's recruiting climate and what drives commitments. PJ Dozier was from South Carolina as was Sindarius Thornwell. Most of Miss St classes have been from in state.

Auburn, think Georgia and Alabama basically as their home "state" they have a total of 2 guys from previous classes and current commits not from Alabama or Georgia.

Oh boy, I didn't want to have to embarrass you.

When do we ever really recruit against those schools? Rarely. If you kept up with who we recruit you would know that. And if you can't recruit the caliber of those schools then you are losing anyway.

Let's start with Mississippi St. Since 2015, Howland has landed 10 4-5 star guys with only 4 being from Miss, 6 being from alot of other places in the country. But most have been from in state as you said? Facts, big boy.

When it comes to Auburn, they have had a total of 9, with only ONE from Alabama and four from other places not Alabama or Georgia. Four from Georgia. I guess we should start counting Missouri as basically Arkansas with that concept.

And what about Western Kentucky, who has landed a top 10 player (from Louisiana) a 4 star juco guard from Texas, and a top 60 guard from Louisiana...but you know location, proximity all that stuff.

Listen buddy I'm gonna break it down for you really good. If you can recruit you can recruit. It's becoming less and less about the school and all about these coaching staffs. Our staff isn't holding up it's end of the bargain out of state. It is what it is.

batmanfan

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 27, 2017, 05:56:03 pm
Go find another school to be a fan of...you are a pathetic excuse of a Hog fan.

Awww man! I called out the coaching staff because they have proven to be not very good at something! What a terrible fan!

tophawg19

if you look at history , you can pretty much fill a good roster from the wings and Hawks and a couple other AAU teams . plus we are doing well in the Juco ranks. But it's always a cat fight for the top 100 guys and we will lose more than win, just based on the law of averages .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hogwood

Quote from: batmanfan on June 27, 2017, 07:36:24 pm

When do we ever really recruit against those schools? Rarely. If you kept up with who we recruit you would know that. And if you can't recruit the caliber of those schools then you are losing anyway.

Let's start with Mississippi St. Since 2015, Howland has landed 10 4-5 star guys with only 4 being from Miss, 6 being from alot of other places in the country. But most have been from in state as you said? Facts, big boy.

When it comes to Auburn, they have had a total of 9, with only ONE from Alabama and four from other places not Alabama or Georgia. Four from Georgia. I guess we should start counting Missouri as basically Arkansas with that concept.

And what about Western Kentucky, who has landed a top 10 player (from Louisiana) a 4 star juco guard from Texas, and a top 60 guard from Louisiana...but you know location, proximity all that stuff.

Listen buddy I'm gonna break it down for you really good. If you can recruit you can recruit. It's becoming less and less about the school and all about these coaching staffs. Our staff isn't holding up it's end of the bargain out of state. It is what it is.

What does it matter if Western KY, Auburn, AL, and MSST are recruiting well? When was the last time they were even in the tourney? Or the last time they had 25+ wins? We are recruiting well too and winning more. I give CMA & Co the edge. Winning games > recruiting rankings every day. You are picky. Look at the whole body of work. We have a top 25 class coming in and are expecting to have yet another 25+ win season. Is WKY, AUB, AL, MSST going to win 25+ games this coming season? I wouldn't bet on it, despite the talent they are bringing in. I would bet on us getting 25+ again and pushing harder for a SW16 birth than either of those other teams.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: batmanfan on June 27, 2017, 07:36:24 pm

10 guys on the current roster are from miss or bordering that don't have established programs. Of the remaining 5 players on the roster, only 3 were contributors at all with two coming from Howells connection to the father of one kid who is also the coach and the other coming from the exact highschool.

So again you don't know your butt from a hole in the ground.

Auburn's recruits were born in Alabama and Georgia exactly as I stated. They went to schools out of the area but were from the natural recruiting area just like Perry plays in Georgia but is tied to Arkansas.

I couldn't care less about Western Kentucky. I wouldn't be surprised to see them on probation in the future like Southern Miss and nearly every other school that  suddenly began outperforming past results. See Ole Miss football.

You are just an ignorant agenda driven whiner.

batmanfan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 28, 2017, 12:37:27 am
10 guys on the current roster are from miss or bordering that don't have established programs. Of the remaining 5 players on the roster, only 3 were contributors at all with two coming from Howells connection to the father of one kid who is also the coach and the other coming from the exact highschool.

So again you don't know your butt from a hole in the ground.

Auburn's recruits were born in Alabama and Georgia exactly as I stated. They went to schools out of the area but were from the natural recruiting area just like Perry plays in Georgia but is tied to Arkansas.

I couldn't care less about Western Kentucky. I wouldn't be surprised to see them on probation in the future like Southern Miss and nearly every other school that  suddenly began outperforming past results. See Ole Miss football.

You are just an ignorant agenda driven whiner.

Haha. We are just going to have to agree to disagree, though I don't think there is a case anyone can make that this staff is actually good at out of state recruiting.

Like I said before I like MA and want him to do well. He develops players well and he is an alright coach. The instate recruiting seems to have gotten better.  But the out of state recruiting still leaves alot to be desired and there is really no way to really argue that.

Lastly, just because someone isn't pro MA in every aspect doesn't make them a bad fan. I have concerns, legit ones as proven how out of state recruiting has gone down since he has been here, and voice those.

nwahogfan1

I agree with those who say  Anderson does not recruit well nationally unless he has a tie in to his program so he goes after home kids, under recruited kids and those tie in kids.  That will win you some games but apparently its much like football will not get us where we want to go. 

Losing Perry was huge.  With him we were in the game finally  with the big boys, without him we are out of that loop and back down to earth recruiting in state kids and hopefully finding a kid with a huge upside who has not been found yet.   

How well does thus strategy work?  Ask Beliema because he is doing the same. Both finish around 30-50 each year in recruiting and guess where we land each year in the polls?  About the same.  Like I said I really thought Perry was going to raise us up out of being just average but now I am thinking we are just stuck.

Jim Harris

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 27, 2017, 05:20:53 pm

Kareem Reed and Kenny Hutchinson, to name two extremely highly rated guards in high school and heavily recruited, were from NY.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Otis

Quote from: Jim Harris on July 06, 2017, 11:07:12 am
Kareem Reed and Kenny Hutchinson, to name two extremely highly rated guards in high school and heavily recruited, were from NY.

Not to mention Darnell Robinson from California. For many years with Sutton and Richardson we were competing nationally for McDonald's all American players. Not anymore

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Otis on July 06, 2017, 11:16:53 am
Not to mention Darnell Robinson from California. For many years with Sutton and Richardson we were competing nationally for McDonald's all American players. Not anymore

I'm trying to remember a Mickey D's AA that Sutton recruited that were not from Arkansas. AL, RN and WC are I can remember...

niels_boar

Only three McAA's have ever signed with Arkansas that didn't hail from Arkansas or a bordering state: Kareem Reid (NY), Olu Famutimi (MI), and Darnell Robinson (CA).  Ironically Famutimi, like at a lot of Arkansas McAA's, was overrated.  Throw Glendon Alexander (TX) and Willle Cutts (AR) on that pile.  Some others like Reid (NY), Hood (MO), Huery (Memphis), and Norton (AR) were valuable players that I would take on any Arkansas team but were short of All-American/NBA quality.

At our peak we have usually been a regional, not national, recruiting power.  Robinson was signed when we could credibly tell him that he was the missing piece for a NC, which he was, and after a long run of second and third weekend appearances in the NCAAT. Reid was signed coming off a NC.  Even Richardson and Sutton had to establish a long run of national prominence with "local" kids before signing highly competitive recruits from distant shores.

BTW Hutchinson averaged 2.8 points in his career. Heck, walkon Chris "Creep" Walker turned out to be a better player.  All our best teams were anchored by local stars.  Arkansas is a basketball backwater without four years from Moncrief, four years of May-Day, and three from Corliss.  Sutton and Richardson would have had a much more difficult time maintaining success in this environment where you most likely get a single big season out of a true star talent.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

realistichog

Quote from: The ColonelHog on July 06, 2017, 11:04:37 am
It just blows my mind how losing 1 recruit has everyone jumping out of windows!  Perry was a one and done period.  How does that help the long term health of Hog BB?  The '18 class will still be a top 25 class without Perry.  With that, Solid coaching, and a few breaks on the court, sweet sixteen, elite 8 is still very possible!
one recruit? How about Goodwin, Allen and Monk all in state recruits Mike couldn't sign. Thankfully Arkansas is starting to put out some good 4* that Ky doesn't want or need.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: niels_boar on July 06, 2017, 12:53:53 pm
Only three McAA's have ever signed with Arkansas that didn't hail from Arkansas or a bordering state: Kareem Reid (NY), Olu Famutimi (MI), and Darnell Robinson (CA).  Ironically Famutimi, like at a lot of Arkansas McAA's, was overrated.  Throw Glendon Alexander (TX) and Willle Cutts (AR) on that pile.  Some others like Reid (NY), Hood (MO), Huery (Memphis), and Norton (AR) were valuable players that I would take on any Arkansas team but were short of All-American/NBA quality.

At our peak we have usually been a regional, not national, recruiting power.  Robinson was signed when we could credibly tell him that he was the missing piece for a NC, which he was, and after a long run of second and third weekend appearances in the NCAAT. Reid was signed coming off a NC.  Even Richardson and Sutton had to establish a long run of national prominence with "local" kids before signing highly competitive recruits from distant shores.

BTW Hutchinson averaged 2.8 points in his career. Heck, walkon Chris "Creep" Walker turned out to be a better player.  All our best teams were anchored by local stars.  Arkansas is a basketball backwater without four years from Moncrief, four years of May-Day, and three from Corliss.  Sutton and Richardson would have had a much more difficult time maintaining success in this environment where you most likely get a single big season out of a true star talent.

I thought Hood was a MDAA...

niels_boar

Quote from: Dominicanhog on July 06, 2017, 02:05:24 pm

He was, and he's from Missouri, a bordering state.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: niels_boar on July 06, 2017, 04:27:05 pm
He was, and he's from Missouri, a bordering state.

my bad.. you said he was short of AA.. I now understand you meant in college...

jbhogfan4

Coach Ingram stated on Drive Time Sports that TJ Moss would be joining the Hawks and playing with them. You'd have to think that is great news for the Hogs as he will be surrounded by our commits

batmanfan

Thank goodness for Bill Ingram...where would this class be without him?

ADavisTheGOAT

Hire Bill Ingram as a damn recruiter.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Hogs49ers

Quote from: jbhogfan4 on July 06, 2017, 06:38:50 pm
Coach Ingram stated on Drive Time Sports that TJ Moss would be joining the Hawks and playing with them. You'd have to think that is great news for the Hogs as he will be surrounded by our commits

So I am guessing Reggie Perry will no longer be playing with the Hawks either?  Great news on TJ, I would assume that gives us a pretty big edge on landing him.  Where did TJ play AAU ball before this?
SCREW Vandy!

HardingHog

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/883113398787084288

I believe he played for Mike Miller's M33M team based out of Memphis

King Kong

Got to love Bill Ingram

Pinto

Really enjoyed watching TJ at the Warmup! Very smart and smooth player

navyhog24

This has got to be a great sign

jbhogfan4

Quote from: Hogs49ers on July 06, 2017, 07:24:51 pm
So I am guessing Reggie Perry will no longer be playing with the Hawks either?  Great news on TJ, I would assume that gives us a pretty big edge on landing him.  Where did TJ play AAU ball before this?

I believe Perry will continue to play with the Hawks
Someone asked Ingram how he would handle the decommitment of Perry if he were a Hogs coach. He stated without any hesitation that they should keep recruiting him. For whatever that is worth

RealHog

Quote from: batmanfan on June 27, 2017, 01:11:35 pm

Amen, Truth hurts. Mike is a pretty good at actual coaching I believe, but crooting ain't his thing, and he won't hire anyone who can.

RealHog

Quote from: batmanfan on June 27, 2017, 07:37:11 pm
Awww man! I called out the coaching staff because they have proven to be not very good at something! What a terrible fan!

Haha that's exactly how I feel sometimes.

RealHog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 06, 2017, 09:39:21 am
I agree with those who say  Anderson does not recruit well nationally unless he has a tie in to his program so he goes after home kids, under recruited kids and those tie in kids.  That will win you some games but apparently its much like football will not get us where we want to go. 

Losing Perry was huge.  With him we were in the game finally  with the big boys, without him we are out of that loop and back down to earth recruiting in state kids and hopefully finding a kid with a huge upside who has not been found yet.   

How well does thus strategy work?  Ask Beliema because he is doing the same. Both finish around 30-50 each year in recruiting and guess where we land each year in the polls?  About the same.  Like I said I really thought Perry was going to raise us up out of being just average but now I am thinking we are just stuck.

Ditto, exactly. Just always enough above average that's it's hard to get TOO mad. Meanwhile we will continue to have our hearts ripped out in losing to VaTech and UNC. So Close yet so far away.

NWAHog479

We have to keep recruiting Perry. For all we know his father could be seriously ill. His father was the one that raved about how we took care of our former players. He is a former Miss. State player btw. Hopefully his father heals up and we get lucky enough to land him. If not, Moss is a stud. Better than Desi for sure and that's no knock on Desi. It's time to tap into Memphis and the Penny Hardaway gravy train. Might not want to miss our opportunity to get back into Memphis because they'll continue to be loaded along with Little Rock for the foreseeable future

Jim Harris

Quote from: Dominicanhog on July 06, 2017, 02:05:24 pm

He definitely played in the McD AA game.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

hogfreak

I wish we would go ahead and offer his high school team mates Chandler Lawson and Malcolm Dandridge.

HogCzar1

Quote from: hogfreak on July 10, 2017, 07:29:06 pm
I wish we would go ahead and offer his high school team mates Chandler Lawson and Malcolm Dandridge.

Would be a surprise if Lawson didn't go to Kansas wouldn't it?

nwahogfan1

Batman keep hanging there and say what is on your mind.  I want all fans whether their happy with what they see on the court or not to speak their minds.  We do not want only one side.   That leads to being PC which dumbs us down as a fan base.   

It is very factual Mike doesn't recruit well nationally.  It is well known when Mike has a good signing class it is either s local kid or one tied to him some how.  I was hoping Scotty would make a big impact and he might later. 

Speak the truth.

klp1

I watched some video on TJ Moss.  He's got some range.  If we get him, he and Joe could be another Hannahs/Bell type combination

Pinto

Quote from: klp1 on July 11, 2017, 09:25:34 am
I watched some video on TJ Moss.  He's got some range.  If we get him, he and Joe could be another Hannahs/Bell type combination

TJ and Joe are a lot more versatile than Hannah's and Bell. I'm also willing to be bet Zay will be more consistent from behind the arc than those two as well...

mbgrulz

Quote from: Pinto on July 11, 2017, 11:03:55 am
TJ and Joe are a lot more versatile than Hannah's and Bell. I'm also willing to be bet Zay will be more consistent from behind the arc than those two as well...
You think he'll be better that the 40% DH averaged for his career? That's pretty lofty...hope so! My opinion is that people never appreciated how good of an offensive player DH was.

hogwood

I don't care about any one stiffing Arkansas. Finish off the class with Weaver and Moss and this is still a great class with some really good 3-4 year players that could develop into a lethal squad. We will miss the size of Perry though.

Pinto

Quote from: mbgrulz on July 11, 2017, 11:38:30 am
You think he'll be better that the 40% DH averaged for his career? That's pretty lofty...hope so! My opinion is that people never appreciated how good of an offensive player DH was.

Yes, Dusty was very streaky. He missed a lot of open shots but could go on those streaks where he would shoot the lights out. Zay is one of those 3 & D guys that we really need for 3-4 years. TJ has an old man type game. Not the most athletic but can give you buckets or facilitate the offense.

navyhog24

Quote from: hogwood on July 11, 2017, 12:02:13 pm
I don't care about any one stiffing Arkansas. Finish off the class with Weaver and Moss and this is still a great class with some really good 3-4 year players that could develop into a lethal squad. We will miss the size of Perry though.

That's why we still need to go after a big. We have plenty of wing types. We need to fill Perry's spot with another big. He doesn't have to be highly rated. Just get another guy with some size and potential.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: navyhog24 on July 11, 2017, 12:49:07 pm
That's why we still need to go after a big. We have plenty of wing types. We need to fill Perry's spot with another big. He doesn't have to be highly rated. Just get another guy with some size and potential.
Navy, we sure agree there. We need a more 6'9 types if we want to match up in those top 10 teams in the NCAAT.  I ask who can take Thompson minutes when he graduates? 

Also Since we will probable not be able to sign a 4 star kid I wish he was on campus now so he could develop.  I love Gafford but he needs depth on the inside.

hogwood

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 11, 2017, 02:19:50 pm
Navy, we sure agree there. We need a more 6'9 types if we want to match up in those top 10 teams in the NCAAT.  I ask who can take Thompson minutes when he graduates? 

Also Since we will probable not be able to sign a 4 star kid I wish he was on campus now so he could develop.  I love Gafford but he needs depth on the inside.

LOL. NWAhogfan has more reason to post these days...

No offense, I agee too. I just mentioned Weaver and Moss as they seem to be the most likely gets, and getting them would still gives us another very solid top 20 class IMO.

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 06, 2017, 09:39:21 am

Bielema...

And his class rankings at Arkansas
2017: 27 (right now)
2016: 23
2015: 22
2014: 29
2013: 23