Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bob Stoops is O-U-t

Started by Porked Tongue, June 07, 2017, 02:06:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razoredge178

Good for Stoops. Retiring rich and young at 57 years old is genius.

Wildhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 07, 2017, 03:18:15 pm
Heck you and other irrational fans would burn it down if they named a ten time NC and a five time super bowl winning coach as the new coach......................................

And you'll build Bert a statue when we win another 7 games this year.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: longpig on June 07, 2017, 03:12:22 pm
Don't you think the job is a bit more complicated nowadays?

Only the rule book which OU never follows anyway...................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wildhog on June 07, 2017, 03:19:04 pm
And you'll build Bret a statue when we win another 7 games this year.

No I wouldn't but I wouldn't call for his head on a chopping block either. I would then say he has less time to get more wins than he did have at the same time a year ago. As I've said, doing all the other things right only gets a coach more time than it would otherwise. I never said it gave them unlimited time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawghiggs

Stoops cam spend the next decade talking about football on ESPN.

razoredge178

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 07, 2017, 03:22:37 pm
No I wouldn't but I wouldn't call for his head on a chopping block either. I would then say he has less time to get more wins then he did have at the same time a year ago. As I've said, doing all the other things right only gets a coach more time than it would otherwise. I never said it gave them unlimited time.

Is this a George W Bush quote?

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Wildhog on June 07, 2017, 03:19:04 pm
And you'll build Bret a statue when we win another 7 games this year.

Dude! Seven wins is asking a lot.

MuskogeeHogFan

A Press Conference has been called for this afternoon at Arkansas to announce the resignation of Bret Bielema as the HC. ;)

Obviously I am kidding but I could see someone hoping for this.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 07, 2017, 03:37:46 pm
A Press Conference has been called for this afternoon at Arkansas to announce the resignation of Bret Bielema as the HC. ;)

I would take the rest of the week off, stay polluted, and run up and down Bay Drive wearing nothing but a Planet of the Apes mask.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on June 07, 2017, 03:43:37 pm
I would take the rest of the week off, stay polluted, and run up and down Bay Drive wearing nothing but a Planet of the Apes mask.

Another Press Conference has been scheduled for tomorrow to announce the hiring of Bob Stoops at Arkansas for an estimated 8.5 million per year for 4 years. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

ChicoHog

Quote from: LZH on June 07, 2017, 03:43:37 pm
Scary sight indeed! 

I'll take Bielema over an unproven OC like Riley. maybe Riley will be the second coming of Switzer or may be the second coming of Gary Gibbs but he hasn't done anything yet.  OU fans probably have less patience than we do so he won't get a long rope.  I may take the under on their win total this year.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 07, 2017, 03:53:01 pm
Another Press Conference has been scheduled for tomorrow to announce the hiring of Bob Stoops at Arkansas for an estimated 8.5 million per year for 4 years. ;)

Get Wildhog to pay for it. He seems to think he knows how to run an Athletic department.................

Wildhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 07, 2017, 03:55:00 pm
Get Wildhog to pay for it. He seems to think he knows how to run an Athletic department.................

lol, I really don't know what opinions you think I hold that are so ridiculous.  Can you list them?
1909/1964/1965/1977

LZH

Ha! Let's all open them checkbooks.

Hornkiller

First off this was the fan base that wanted Josh Hypel to be the Bob's successor.  Like most fan bases the unproven guy gets with the most hype.

The question now in Norman town should be about the other Stoops brother. Mike has been lambasted for giving up chunks of yardage and points in big games. (see Ohio State or Clemson) With Bob gone how long does Mike stay around? And does Lincoln want him around or does him start bringing in his own people.

Which should scare Sooner fans because Lincoln's schools include the defensive juggernauts Texas Tech and East Carolina. Not exactly the defensive blueprints you want with Ohio State and LSU on the OOC schedule, not to mention the fact a better chance than not the Sooners will face a SEC team during bowl season.

It's hard to say something is fishy given that Stoops has rolled through numerous alleged violations, including Rhett Bomar's cash for cars with barly a wink from the NCAA. The Joe Mixon case seems to be closed now Mixon is in an NFL camp.  The fishy part is a program considered one of the blue bloods just hands the reigns over without much perceived thought or planning. Not saying Saban, Myer, Fisher or Sweeny would ever come, but it's a desirable job that would attract some talent.

Oklahawg

Medium Game Bob will no longer torment Sooner fans by clubbing the darn out of inferior teams and fail against good teams in big games.

I quit seeing Stoops as an elite coach about a decade ago. He is very good, mind you, but not elite.

Health still being kicked around as the underlying factor. As in, "sick and tired of my thugs giving the program a black eye and my president having told me 'no more'!"
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wildhog on June 07, 2017, 03:55:42 pm
lol, I really don't know what opinions you think I hold that are so ridiculous.  Can you list them?

Your opinions on Hogville about coaching and who is or isn't good.....................that's the only one that matters on here.

311Hog

so Stoops pullin an ole Urban Meyer.  Stoops to Notre Dame in 2 years?

Wildhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 07, 2017, 04:16:34 pm
Your opinions on Hogville about coaching and who is or isn't good.....................that's the only one that matters on here.

Like what, specifically?
1909/1964/1965/1977

go hogues

Quote from: 311Hog on June 07, 2017, 04:17:17 pm
Or Bama when Saban hangs it up.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wildhog on June 07, 2017, 04:19:15 pm
Like what, specifically?

You mean you need me to repost your own posts..............are you that senile? I'll let you go back and read them yourself.

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 07, 2017, 03:37:46 pm

That someone wouldn't be me. That would be a disaster of epic proportions happening this late in the year, less than 2 months before fall practice starts. We would be talking shades of the 2012 season all over again. I sure don't want to go through that again.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Wildhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 07, 2017, 04:24:20 pm
You mean you need me to repost your own posts..............are you that senile? I'll let you go back and read them yourself.

They all look pretty reasonable to me.  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

pigture perfect

I HOPE he has about as much success as Jack Crowe following Ken Hatfield.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wildhog on June 07, 2017, 04:26:32 pm
They all look pretty reasonable to me.  :)

An actual funny post. good reply!

JIMMY BOARFFETT

The answer is obvious, Stoops was the bag man in the collusion with the Russians.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 07, 2017, 04:30:07 pm
The answer is obvious, Stoops was the bag man in the collusion with the Russians.

Dang I'm not up to date.............I thought it was the Iranians.

LRHawg

I'll be working till I'm dead, so retiring a multi-millionaire in my fifties sounds impossibly amazing right now.

HamSammich

Big game bob has the toughest adversary he has ever faced. Wish him well.

Btw what a way to stay classy hogville and mods.

MrKnowItAll

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HamSammich on June 07, 2017, 05:36:45 pm
Big game bob has the toughest adversary he has ever faced. Wish him well.

Btw what a way to stay classy hogville and mods.

I'm not sure what you are referring to but Stoops has had concerns about his family medical history for years. This came from an article written in August of 2010.

Stoops received the ring for playing in the Jan. 1, 1982, Rose Bowl. He was a junior cornerback for an Iowa team that ended a streak of 19 straight non-winning seasons and laid the foundation for coach Hayden Fry turning the Hawkeyes into consistent winners.

Six years later, Stoops placed the ring inside his father's casket. It was Ron Stoops Sr. who instilled the love of the game in his son, along with the attributes Bob needed as a player and coach to help build programs that had no history and rebuild tradition-rich ones like the Sooners.

Ron Stoops Sr. was only 54 when he died of a heart attack on Oct. 7, 1988. He was stricken during a game when he was defensive coordinator for Cardinal Mooney High School in Youngstown, Ohio.

Toughness, loyalty, work ethic, coaching defense and love of family aren't the only things Bob inherited from his father. Ron also passed along the heart disease gene to his second-oldest son.

"We all have it," Bob Stoops said of his five siblings. "I just have it the worst."

"There are no guarantees," he said. "It's not that I have any doom or gloom, but I don't have a great family (health) history."

His mother, Evelyn "Dee Dee" Stoops, is in her mid-70s and going strong. But Bob also has relatives on his father's side who died young from heart disease.

He may live and breathe football, but like his father, his family comes way before anything else. So he intends to do everything possible to make sure he's still around to enjoy life if he eventually becomes a grandfather.

"I told (Spurrier) this summer that there is no way I'll be coaching when I'm 65," Stoops said. "And he said, 'Yeah, I said that too when I was 50.'

He has been thinking about this for a long time. Stoops turns 57 in September.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/for-health-s-sake-stoops-says-he-won-t-push/article_2fe39a53-c2fb-529d-9d70-830e9d4a3d42.html
Go Hogs Go!

Pigsknuckles

Dammit...hate to admit it, but OU, and Stoops are doing this the right way. Wish him well in his retirement, and the same for Riley in taking over for a legend.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Barack Hogama

After seeing what Mixon did and was allowed to stay on the team, he should have been out a long time ago. 

bkjbearcat

So is Stoops doing a Urban Meyer? Will he be the HC for another team in two years?
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bkjbearcat on June 07, 2017, 06:15:48 pm
So is Stoops doing a Urban Meyer? Will he be the HC for another team in five years?

I don't think so. Read three posts above yours.
Go Hogs Go!

mhsbc59

I don't really care about stoops but this is pulling away attention from Hugh Freeze and OM which such. OM is loving this happening
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

RebelliousHog

Just for the sake of argument:

Some of you have indicated that CBB  should go to OU. IF this had happened:

Who would be head coach for us?

One of the assistants? Rhodes? Smiley? HDN?

Please enlighten me on how successful WE would be at that point.

I think you can tell from the tone of my post what I think of this silly idea.
Is CBB perfect? No. 
Am I unhappy how things have been going?  No. 
Would I want a garbage fire from the result of CBB leaving now? Hell no.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Wildhog

Quote from: HenduHog on June 07, 2017, 06:38:43 pm

Is CBB perfect? No. 

I can only speak for myself, but I was joking.  I'd hate to experience 2012 all over again.
1909/1964/1965/1977

MuskogeeHogFan

Is CBB perfect? No. 

Lincoln Riley (former OC) is the new HC at Oklahoma.
Go Hogs Go!

gchamblee

Is CBB perfect? No. 

I don't want CBB gone, but if he did leave I would be all giddy about giving it to Enos.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: mhsbc59 on June 07, 2017, 06:37:29 pm
I don't really care about stoops but this is pulling away attention from Hugh Freeze and OM which such. OM is loving this happening

It isn't going to change anything that happens to them. This is a short term blip on the radar screen since Oklahoma has already named the next HC. This is good for a day or so...then back to Ole Miss.
Go Hogs Go!

gchamblee

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 07, 2017, 06:43:11 pm
It isn't going to change anything that happens to them. This is a short term blip on the radar screen since Oklahoma has already named the next HC. This is good for a day or so...then back to Ole Miss.

Ya this will be national news for a day or 2, and then it will collapse to a regional story for a bit longer.

husker71

just saw that he bought a home for about $2.5 million in Chicago 2 months ago    so maybe this wasnt such a spur of the moment deal  BUT Chicago???

Wildhog

Quote from: husker71 on June 07, 2017, 06:46:19 pm
just saw that he bought a home for about $2.5 million in Chicago 2 months ago    so maybe this wasnt such a spur of the moment deal  BUT Chicago???

Well, the Bears do suck.
1909/1964/1965/1977

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: husker71 on June 07, 2017, 06:46:19 pm

It is the second one he has purchased on the Gold Coast. An investment. Bought the house next door.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/realestate/elitestreet/ct-elite-street-gold-coast-bob-stoops-0514-biz-20170511-story.html
Go Hogs Go!

Hoggish1

Smokehouse

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 07, 2017, 06:43:11 pm

If anyone should be worried about attention it's the OU softball team. Win back-to-back national championships and then Bob drops this the next day and blows up your media attention in Norman.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Hoggish1

goodguytex

Quote from: 311Hog on June 07, 2017, 04:17:17 pm
That's what I'm thinking