Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 All State Showcase....

Started by Pig Papi, May 23, 2017, 01:24:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig Papi

Will be held tonight (Tuesday, May 23) at Lamar Porter field in Little Rock.  It is a 10 inning contest featuring the top 20 seniors (2017) in the state against the top 20 underclassmen in the state.

10 Razorback commits (and hopefully a few to come) will be participating.  Both pitchers scheduled to start are Razorback commits....Austin Kelly (2017) and Connor Noland (2018).

Batting practice starts at 4:30 and the game itself at 6:00.

PorkRyan

Keep us posted on how everyone looks.  I wish this was on tv or online. 

Pig Papi

At least 2 local TV stations have confirmed they will be there but no streaming that I know of.  I'll make sure they do that for next year.  8)

I have heard that potentially 15 professional scouts could be there.  That sounds high but there is interest in the 2018 arms that will pitch tonight.

PintailKiller

"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

stronguard

Maybe the top 20 seniors.  But there are plenty of better underclassmen.  Good players, no doubt, but not the top 20
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Pig Papi

Batting practice was a show.  They had to put kids beyond the fence to retrieve balls to have enough balls to finish.

There were a couple of underclassmen that could not make it.  However the roster is full of talent.  I will not disrespect them by saying others are better.  An impartial state scout is who put this together and I will trust his judgement.

stronguard

No disrespect intended. I just know that there are some incredible players in smaller classifications that don't get invites to PBR events.  By the time they're seniors they've been pretty well vetted,   

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Scott7703

Cayden Wallace is the best player at this event in my opinion. There is tons of talent but that kid is unreal.

Pig Papi

The highest draft pick here at this time is Kaleb Hill.  6'4" LHP from Watson Chapel.  Ole Miss commit.

That is an opinion shared by several of the scouts here

But yes Cayden Wallace is a stud

Scott7703

Quote from: Pig Papi on May 23, 2017, 07:16:45 pm
The highest draft pick here at this time is Kaleb Hill.  6'4" LHP from Watson Chapel.  Ole Miss commit.

That is an opinion shared by several of the scouts here

But yes Cayden Wallace is a stud

Great. I'll take Wallace over him today, tomorrow and 10 years from now. Kid is an everyday player will unreal tools. His hitting ability is as good as I've seen. Wish he played on my sons team but unforuntunaltely we get to try to beat them. Hill is a protypical pitcher and scouts have and will continue to drool over him.

Pig Papi

That's why I said "at this time".  Kaleb is LH and works 91-93 right now.  His frame is perfect to put on good weight.

Cayden is great.  I never said otherwise.  The question with him as a RHP will be how high his velocity goes.  Right now, that is just a projection.  As a hitter, he is hands down the best prospect.

LHP are sought after.  That's not my rule.  It's an age old baseball fact.

Scott7703

Quote from: Pig Papi on May 23, 2017, 07:32:25 pm
That's why I said "at this time".  Kaleb is LH and works 91-93 right now.  His frame is perfect to put on good weight.

Cayden is great.  I never said otherwise.  The question with him as a RHP will be how high his velocity goes.  Right now, that is just a projection.  As a hitter, he is hands down the best prospect.

Your last statement is spot on. About 50% of them pan out.

As far as Cayden goes I expect his bat to carry him as far as he wants to go.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Pig Papi on May 23, 2017, 07:32:25 pm

LHPs who work 91-93 especially in high school don't tend to last too long in the draft.  Would think Hill will be the same way next year especially since he is 6-4; however, Bianco has shown some extreme luck getting top recruits to campus lately.

Pig Papi

Quote from: PorkRyan on May 23, 2017, 01:27:21 pm
Keep us posted on how everyone looks.  I wish this was on tv or online. 

The game ended in a 3-3 tie and was dominated by pitching, as expected.

Connor Noland gave up a first inning triple to Paxton Wallace but pitched out of it.  He looked good.  Kept the ball down and hit his spots.  Topped out around 90.

Evan Hiatt pitched around a lead off error to throw a scoreless frame.  Evan was working 85-86 which is a little behind the other Hog commits but he may be the most polished.  I know there were scouts there specifically for him.

Connor Mccollough pitched a quick 3 up 3 down inning.  He looked with sharp with a great curve ball working 87 - 90.  I was very impressed.

Austin Kelly walked 2 hit 1 and struck out 3 and pitched a scoreless inning.  He was as advertised.  Very wild but very filthy.  He has a slider that will make him some money if he can gain control.

Wade Beasley was also wild but used a double play to get out of a jam due to walks.  He has power stuff but needs to work on control.  He worked 90-92 and hit 93.

All the above Hog commits are 2018s except Kelly who is a 2017.

Blake Adams, a 2019 RHP commit, was not at the event after throwing in the State championship games this weekend.

There were other great arms there tonight.  I won't go into the non Hogs but I will say the LSU commit gave up a home run.

It was really a great night to showcase the in state talent in Arkansas.  Next year this will be a premium event with the 2018 arms being seniors.  That is a special group that goes much deeper than the list above.

PintailKiller

"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

stronguard

The game was outstanding.  Arkansas high school baseball has a LOT of talent coming through the next 4 years

Pig Papi

Quote from: stronguard on May 24, 2017, 05:29:36 pm
The game was outstanding.  Arkansas high school baseball has a LOT of talent coming through the next 4 years

The 2020 class may be deeper than the 2018 group and that class only had one representative last night.  I can't wait to see that group of kids develop.