Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wedges

Started by GolfNut57, May 23, 2017, 09:34:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

How many do you carry in your bag? Which is your best club of the wedge group? I carry four wedges, PW, UW (aka GW), SW, and the LW. My LW is 60 degree so I am thinking of buying a fifth wedge with a loft of 64 degrees but not sure I should or if I would even be able to hit it well enough to justify adding it to the bag.

Reason why is since I have lost the weight I have pretty much gained 20 yards or so with each wedge. I used to hit my LW 60 yards with a full swing but now it is going 75-80 yards. Now when I have a shot of 40-50 yards and I try to choke down on the LW or taking just a half swing with it I usually screw the shot up royally by hitting it fat or thin. Thus I have the idea that maybe I should think about a 64 degree wedge. I know just about any teaching pro would tell me to take my lazy ass to the range and work on my short game but...........being your typical hacker I would rather try to "buy" myself a new shot.

Your thoughts?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

theFlyingHog

I have a PW of course, and I carry a 54. Recently started hitting a 56 as I'd like to get a 50 or 52 to fill in that gap between 54 and PW. I need a lot of practice with the 56 and can't imagine getting any more loft than that. Have never had a problem doing anything I want with the 54 though

ricepig

I just drive the green......

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on May 23, 2017, 09:51:54 am
I just drive the green......

Doesn't the greens keeper get mad at you for driving the golf cart onto the green though?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 23, 2017, 10:13:41 am
Doesn't the greens keeper get mad at you for driving the golf cart onto the green though?

Nah, I keep him stocked with good scotch.

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on May 23, 2017, 12:37:24 pm
Nah, I keep him stocked with good scotch.

And does he tell you to "kill every gofer on the golf course"?

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 23, 2017, 01:22:38 pm
And does he tell you to "kill every gofer on the golf course"?

Not me, but he told Carl too.

clutch

PW, 52, 56. I've got pretty good feel for my 56 and use it from about 105-110 all the way in.

If I were you I'd probably just try laying back some. If you know you aren't going to be able to reach the green, lay up at the distance you can take a full swing at. Don't leave yourself those 50 yard shots.

Boarcephus

I guess I carry 5 wedges.  PW I hit 125, AW at 115, SW at 100, LW at 80-85 and a 64 I hit around 60-65. I bought the Cleveland 64 and love it just off the green when the ball settles down in the rough.  Amazing how easily the ball comes out.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Hawg414

i carry a PW, a 56 and a 60.  of course my PW is 51*. 
everyone plays different, but for me personally, i see no reason to ever take a full swing with any club inside 80 yards or so.  just too much margin for error.  if im a "full LW" out, i'll hit an easy SW.  or a full SW out, i'll hit an easy PW.  i generally use a SW out of bunkers, either the SW or PW for chipping.... and i only use the LW for what i would call "finesse" shots around the green.  short sided chip shots for instance. 

i'm also a relatively short hitter, so for me to carry 4 or 5 wedges, i'd have to eliminate 1 or 2 of my longer clubs.  and i cant afford to do that.  i have never once found myself in a situation where neither my 51, nor 56, nor 60 would do what i needed.  conversely, i routinely find myself in situations where i need a longer hybrid.. or a 2 iron.. or a 4 wood.. etc.  the clubs on that end of the bag are far more valuable to me than an additional wedge or two. 

onebadrubi

Pw, 50,56 and 60.

I use my 56 from everything from 50-100 yards out.  I love the one and two bounce and stop shots from 50-80 yards out.  I also can take it up high but can't control spin of on some nice greens.

Rarely hit 60 out of the fairway as I dont think anything me should.

Don't buy a 64, take your 56 and learn to hit a lower shorter shot.  You will love this shot after a little practice.  Brings some real touch in play you didn't even realize you had.

cc

PW Ping IE2, 50 Ping Glide, 55 and 60 Callaway PM Grind.  Use 55 out of sand and 55 and 60 for chips depending upon amount of green (use 9 and 7 iron as well).  PW goes 136-137, 50 - 120, 55 - 106, 60 - 92.  All those are my good decent swing distances that I can count on.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Boarcephus on May 23, 2017, 03:13:35 pm
I guess I carry 5 wedges.  PW I hit 125, AW at 115, SW at 100, LW at 80-85 and a 64 I hit around 60-65. I bought the Cleveland 64 and love it just off the green when the ball settles down in the rough.  Amazing how easily the ball comes out.

Your wedge distances are almost identical to mine.
Quote from: clutch on May 23, 2017, 01:37:31 pm
PW, 52, 56. I've got pretty good feel for my 56 and use it from about 105-110 all the way in.

If I were you I'd probably just try laying back some. If you know you aren't going to be able to reach the green, lay up at the distance you can take a full swing at. Don't leave yourself those 50 yard shots.

Problem with laying up is lately I rarely play by myself. I play with two separate, organized groups of Sr citizens that take turns playing at Cypress Creek every Wednesday and each group just about always play a four man scramble if enough players show up that day. Seeing as I am usually one of the short hitters of the group it isn't like I have a choice of laying up to a full wedge distance. Someone in the group always wants to hit it as close to the green as possible for the next shot. So even if I laid up short to a good distance for me my shot would not likely be used unless everyone else in the group screwed the pooch with their shots.

Boarcephus

May 24, 2017, 07:22:04 am #13 Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:34:47 am by Boarcephus
Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 23, 2017, 10:51:21 pm

Problem with laying up is lately I rarely play by myself. I play with two separate, organized groups of Sr citizens that take turns playing at Cypress Creek every Wednesday and each group just about always play a four man scramble if enough players show up that day. Seeing as I am usually one of the short hitters of the group it isn't like I have a choice of laying up to a full wedge distance. Someone in the group always wants to hit it as close to the green as possible for the next shot. So even if I laid up short to a good distance for me my shot would not likely be used unless everyone else in the group screwed the pooch with their shots.

Nothing like playing in a scramble to screw up your game.  They're fun but I find myself swinging out of my shoes about 2/3 of the time.  I'm generally not the first one to hit and as soon as we have one in the fairway it's "hold my beer and watch this!" time. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

RazorPiggie

Obvious PW, then a 50* 54* 58* Titleist SM6 Jet Black Vokeys.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Boarcephus on May 24, 2017, 07:22:04 am
Nothing like playing in a scramble to screw up your game.  They're fun but I find myself swinging out of my shoes about 2/3 of the time.  I'm generally not the first one to hit and as soon as we have one in the fairway it's "hold my beer and watch this!" time.

hahaha......you got it. Some of these guys in their seventies can still hit the boogersnot out of the ball too. I'm talking a few in the group that can still drive the ball 270-280 off the tee box.