Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ridiculously early 2017 Predictions

Started by redleg, May 19, 2017, 01:25:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

I'm going to go with 9-3.
I see losses at Alabama, at LSU, and to Auburn.
The rest are winnable. The Hogs should finally beat Texas A&M again, and I am going to be looking for some major payback against Missouri!
I ran into Muskie Harris today in Little Rock, and we talked about the coming season. He initially said 6-6, and was wanting to know where Arkansas' athletic DB's were. He was not impressed.
But by the end of our conversation, after going through the schedule, he admitted that I may be right, and that 9-3 was attainable.
What is your prediction?
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

JethroB.

I'll split the difference and say 8-4

phadedhawg

Quote from: Wildhog on May 19, 2017, 01:38:58 pm
7-5

Yep this is where I'm setting par for this season. 

I like positive thinking but unrealistic expectations often seem to set up some for heartbreak. 

DLUXHOG

Since not a second of any game has been played, I'll go with 12-0
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Wildhog

Quote from: DLUXHOG on May 19, 2017, 01:44:58 pm
Since not a second of any game has been played, I'll go with 12-0

Seems legit.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

redleg

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

bennyl08

FAM: bigly win 1-0
TCU: Close win at their place. Both teams lost/return a similar amount, but now in our place. Should be a win. 2-0
aTm: This game has been very close for a long time with us not quite pulling out a victory. They lose a lot more than they return but until proven otherwise, will label this a toss-up. 2-0-1
NMst: 3-0-1
@SC: Their defense was worse than our offense, their offense was ridiculously worse than our defense. Lets assume the worst and they improve by 50 spots on both sides of the ball this year. That gives them a top 10 defense which we've been able to put up 30 points on multiple occasions under Enos and an offense that still isn't even approaching top 50. Even at their place, should be a win. 4-0-1
@Bama: until proven otherwise, 4-1-1
Auburn: Last year was an anomaly for their team, our team, and our games against their team. I'll assume a regression to the norm, especially in our place. 4-1-2
@OM: We've won quite a bit against them, they've lost more talent than they've recruited, but playing at their place is hard. I definitely lean towards a win here, but I'll be conservative and label it a toss up 4-1-3
CCU: 5-1-3
@LSU: This game is always a toss up. 5-1-4
MSU: They return fitz who should be improved, but lose a lot of the surrounding cast again. I'm going 6-1-4
Mizz: We've been the better team for most of the games against them. Game this year is in our house. However, they had arguably the best offense in the SEC last year (to go along with the worst defense) and return almost all of that offense. Could bode troubles for us. Like OM, I lean towards the victory here, but I'll go extra conservative and label it a toss up. 6-1-5.

Final score: 6-1-5

There is no way we shouldn't win at least 6 games. 2 of the 5 tossups are strong leans towards winning, but I'm remaining conservative here. If we split the toss-ups, that puts us at 8-9 regular season wins. Given the level of the toss ups, My baseline prediction next year is for 9 wins.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

GuvHog

FAM: Blowout Win 1-0
TCU: Close win at their place. Both teams lost/return a similar amount, but now in our place. Should be a Hog win. 2-0
aTm: Hogs are past due for a win over the Aggies and this year they get it. Hog Win. 3-0
NMst: Blowout Win 4-0
@SC: Gamecocks will be slightly improved in Muschamp's second season as HC there but they are not ready to make serious noise. Hogs Win comfortably. 5-0
@Bama: Hogs not ready to climb that mountain....yet. Hogs Lose 5-1
Auburn: A winnable game for the Hogs but I'll call it a toss up. 5-1-1
@OM: The Rebels are in shambles under an NCAA investigation. Hogs Win comfortably. 6-1-1
CCU: Blowout Win. Starters get some needed rest. 7-1-1
@LSU: Hogs play hard but no dice. Hog Loss. 7-2-1
MSU: Bulldogs make the hogs earn it but the Hogs get the win. 8-2-1
Mizz: The second half collapse and loss last year to the Tigers in Columbia was embarrassing. Hogs get revenge in DWRRS. 9-2-1

9-2-1 overall      5-2-1 Conference    4-0 non-conference.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

majestic

Quote from: GuvHog on May 19, 2017, 03:45:23 pm
FAM: Blowout Win 1-0
TCU: Close win at their place. Both teams lost/return a similar amount, but now in our place. Should be a Hog win. 2-0
aTm: Hogs are past due for a win over the Aggies and this year they get it. Hog Win. 3-0
NMst: Blowout Win 4-0
@SC: Gamecocks will be slightly improved in Muschamp's second season as HC there but they are not ready to make serious noise. Hogs Win comfortably. 5-0
@Bama: Hogs not ready to climb that mountain....yet. Hogs Lose 5-1
Auburn: A winnable game for the Hogs but I'll call it a toss up. 5-1-1
@OM: The Rebels are in shambles under an NCAA investigation. Hogs Win comfortably. 6-1-1
CCU: Blowout Win. Starters get some needed rest. 7-1-1
@LSU: Hogs play hard but no dice. Hog Loss. 7-2-1
MSU: Bulldogs make the hogs earn it but the Hogs get the win. 8-2-1
Mizz: The second half collapse and loss last year to the Tigers in Columbia was embarrassing. Hogs get revenge in DWRRS. 9-2-1

9-2-1 overall      5-2-1 Conference    4-0 non-conference.
There are no ties in college football.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

GuvHog

Quote from: majestic on May 19, 2017, 03:53:27 pm
There are no ties in college football.

The "1" at the end represents a toss up, not a tie. I'm not ready to piredict a winner in the Auburn @ Arkansas game yet.

bphi11ips

Guaranteed losses - Bama, LSU, Auburn

Guaranteed wins - FAMU, CC, NMST

Probable loss - South Carolina

Probable wins - TCU, Missouri, Miss. State, Ole Miss

Toss-up - Texas A&M

That kind of gets me to 7-5 or 8-4. 

BUT, I think a lot hinges on TCU.  Lose that game and A&M gets tougher, especially if TCU destroys the defense.  Lose A&M and South Carolina gets tougher.  Take a shaken team to Bama and we may get destroyed.  A loss to Auburn makes us 0-5 in the SEC.  Ole Miss might then see an opportunity to salvage a bit of the season with a win over Arkansas.  An 0-6 team might be toast even at home for Missouri and Ms. State. 

In spite of having a 5th year senior QB who might be the SEC's best, there's a lot of youth in key positions who could be fragile if the season takes an early wrong turn.  But if we roll TCU! we might smack an A&M team working to find a QB.  If AA has developed timing with and trust in his Juco phenoms, we could roll Carolina.  Bama and Auburn will bring us down to earth and drop us from the polls, but a dysfunctional Ole Miss will be waiting to right the ship.  LSU probably has too much at home for this team, but Missouri and Ms. State will have a hard time with a Razorbacks team in Fayetteville looking for a New Year's Day bowl and a shot at 10 wins.

So - as schizo as this sounds, I can see anything from 3-9 to 10-3.  Either of those would be surprising, but anything in between is possible.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bennyl08

Guv, if you are going to copy paste some of my words, give me some credit in the post...

phil, why on earth do you think SC will be a tougher game than TCU, aTm, OM, or Mizz?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

majestic

Quote from: GuvHog on May 19, 2017, 04:07:03 pm
The "1" at the end represents a toss up, not a tie. I'm not ready to piredict a winner in the Auburn @ Arkansas game yet.
Weak.

GoHogzzGo

Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

majestic

bphi11ips

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 19, 2017, 04:18:21 pm
phil, why on earth do you think SC will be a tougher game than TCU, aTm, OM, or Mizz?

Experience.

Steef

runninhog

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 19, 2017, 04:13:22 pm

Toss-up - Texas A&M

I can go with this, but I'm not sure Auburn is a sure loss. It's our place and after they play LSU.  Of course it's also after we play Alabama, so that may be a wash.

bphi11ips

Quote from: runninhog on May 19, 2017, 05:55:22 pm
I can go with this, but I'm not sure Auburn is a sure loss. It's our place and after they play LSU.  Of course it's also after we play Alabama, so that may be a wash.

Maybe I'm influenced by my trip to the game last year. My friends and I were at The Hound by halftime. The pork rinds were the only good part of that trip.

MuskogeeHogFan

So - as schizo as this sounds, I can see anything from 3-9 to 10-3.  Either of those would be surprising, but anything in between is possible.

Which means, we basically have no idea. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 19, 2017, 07:51:04 pm
Which means, we basically have no idea. ;)

That's a good way to put it, yes.

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

Al Boarland

daBoar

The Hogs had an average-to-poor  SEC defense last season. They return six starters from that group, losing their top tackler.  Now, they're moving to a completely different defense under a different coordinator.  My view is there's a greater likelihood that the defense is worse this year.  The offense loses 73% of its offensive rushing production from last season, while the offense, coincidentally, loses 73% of its receiving production.  That's a huge loss of offensive production.  Counting on rookies who've never taken an SEC hit to offset a major part of the loss of RW3...is not a likely scenario.  The major positive circumstance I see now is that the Hogs return its starting QB and most of the Oline.  I'm thinking 6-6; hopefully a record that doesn't include a major blowout like last year's Auburn game and blown leads like at Missou or VT.

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

runninhog

Quote from: daBoar on May 20, 2017, 12:38:15 am
The Hogs had an average-to-poor  SEC defense last season. They return six starters from that group, losing their top tackler.  Now, they're moving to a completely different defense under a different coordinator.  My view is there's a greater likelihood that the defense is worse this year.  The offense loses 73% of its offensive rushing production from last season, while the offense, coincidentally, loses 73% of its receiving production.  That's a huge loss of offensive production.  Counting on rookies who've never taken an SEC hit to offset a major part of the loss of RW3...is not a likely scenario.  The major positive circumstance I see now is that the Hogs return its starting QB and most of the Oline.  I'm thinking 6-6; hopefully a record that doesn't include a major blowout like last year's Auburn game and blown leads like at Missou or VT.

Yeah, the defense could be a horror story. Our offense will have to score a lot of points.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: daBoar on May 20, 2017, 12:38:15 am

Those are all valid concerns but as far as the defense goes, there probably isn't enough that can be said about having Paul Rhoads as the DC who is like the difference in night and day to Robb Smith. Could the defense be worse? It is possible, but not likely.

The 3-4 under Paul Rhoads (which is going to look a lot like an Oklahoma 5-2) is a more unpredictable, harder to read and attacking style of defense. The front 3 (or 5) is going to be better and if not for any other reason than schematically, they are not only going to be turned loose, but expected to create pressure on the opposing offense and because of Robb Smith's management of the defense LY, that isn't something that they were allowed to do very often.

I feel good about our LB's though many may not have the experience that we would like them to have and I believe the Secondary will improve not only because of more experience by the players manning those positions, but because of the increased pressure up front.

It is my belief that we will all be a lot happier with the defense that we see on the field this season, than last.
Go Hogs Go!

Pudgepork

3-9 until the O line improves AND a defense shows up.   

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 20, 2017, 09:54:14 am
Those are all valid concerns but as far as the defense goes, there probably isn't enough that can be said about having Paul Rhoads as the DC who is like the difference in night and day to Robb Smith. Could the defense be worse? It is possible, but not likely.

The 3-4 under Paul Rhoads (which is going to look a lot like an Oklahoma 5-2) is a more unpredictable, harder to read and attacking style of defense. The front 3 (or 5) is going to be better and if not for any other reason than schematically, they are not only going to be turned loose, but expected to create pressure on the opposing offense and because of Robb Smith's management of the defense LY, that isn't something that they were allowed to do very often.

I feel good about our LB's though many may not have the experience that we would like them to have and I believe the Secondary will improve not only because of more experience by the players manning those positions, but because of the increased pressure up front.

It is my belief that we will all be a lot happier with the defense that we see on the field this season, than last.

I'm beginning to come around to your way of thinking.  I've also thought the 3-4 will often look a lot like the 5-2.  We have the length and experience in the secondary to run something like the "Mustang" defense John Chavis ran at LSU.  Here's an interesting article on the way Chavis built his LSU defenses:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/5/15/5709380/lsu-defense-john-chavis-spread-offenses

If Paul Rhoads can get as much out of the Razorbacks as Chavis got out of LSU, we'll be in good shape. 

Augustus

I think a lot of people are going to be severely disappointed this year.  As per usual, expectations are way too high.

Hope for 6 wins and a Bowl game

Oklahawg

Quote from: Augustus on May 20, 2017, 12:14:18 pm
I think a lot of people are going to be severely disappointed this year.  As per usual, expectations are way too high.

If there is development and a 13-game season I am okay with things. That is a reasonable expectation. If more of us adopt it then an 8-win season, or better, becomes a momentum boost around here.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

LZH

Underachieving..... You're fired.

HiggiePiggy

Next year should be 5 to 7. This year should be 7 to 9. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Steef

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 20, 2017, 01:23:16 pm

I believe just the opposite.

East Clintwood

6 - 6,  and I think that's being generous.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Dominicanhog

Toss-up - Texas A&M

BUT, I think a lot hinges on TCU.  Arkansas.   

Agree on all your call's.... TCU gives us the chance to have a good season.. plays out with same teams as last year.. we just blew it with the last 2 games... hopefully with the sr QB and I'm gonna have a bit of faith in CPR that the defense is going to be better... just hope the injury bug doesn't hit.

Augustus

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 20, 2017, 01:23:16 pm

We've lost our WR Corps from last year, a great TE, our starting RB, and we're overhauling our defensive scheme...

I'm sincerely curious why you think we'll do better this year, versus last year (which included several meltdowns)?

Augustus

Quote from: Dominicanhog on May 20, 2017, 02:13:47 pm
Agree on all your call's.... TCU gives us the chance to have a good season.. plays out with same teams as last year.. we just blew it with the last 2 games... hopefully with the sr QB and I'm gonna have a bit of faith in CPR that the defense is going to be better... just hope the injury bug doesn't hit.

"doesn't hit" ? ? ?

It's spring, and we've already lost our starting RB.

Also, Austin Cantrell has a troublesome knee. And Jared Cornelius' hamstring isn't 100 percent.

That's 3 starters on offense. Arguably our best 3 offensive players, besides Austin Allen.

And... a lot of people said the same thing about the TCU game last year... It would be the game "that dictates the rest of the season".

We got completely destroyed by Auburn, and had absolutely embarrassing comeback losses to: 1) the worst team in the SEC - 3-8 Mizzou 2) a not very good Va Tech team

Not to mention getting man-handled by LSU, A&M, and Bama.

Seriously, I hope fans dial down the expectations.  Or... don't, and start calling for Bielema's job in January 2018, after a very poor 2017 season.

MuskogeeHogFan

Toss-up - Texas A&M

BUT, I think a lot hinges on TCU.  Lose that game and A&M gets tougher, especially if TCU destroys the defense.  Lose A&M and South Carolina gets tougher.  Take a shaken team to Bama and we may get destroyed.  A loss to Auburn makes us 0-5 in the SEC.  Ole Miss might then see an opportunity to salvage a bit of the season with a win over Arkansas.  An 0-6 team might be toast even at home for Missouri and Ms. State. 

In spite of having a 5th year senior QB who might be the SEC's best, there's a lot of youth in key positions who could be fragile if the season takes an early wrong turn.  But if we roll TCU! we might smack an A&M team working to find a QB.  If AA has developed timing with and trust in his Juco phenoms, we could roll Carolina.  Bama and Auburn will bring us down to earth and drop us from the polls, but a dysfunctional Ole Miss will be waiting to right the ship.  LSU probably has too much at home for this team, but Missouri and Ms. State will have a hard time with a Razorbacks team in Fayetteville looking for a New Year's Day bowl and a shot at 10 wins.

If, if, if, we can just find a way to stop shooting ourselves in the foot at key times, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, we are a 9 win team. We have been and will be again this year, a better team than many think that we are. We have beat ourselves in many instances during Bielema's tenure that didn't have anything to do with having less talent or less experience than our competition. IF, we can just get out of our own way we can win more than we have the last 4 years. Will we, is the question. We are capable, but whether we will or not, is the question.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: Augustus on May 20, 2017, 02:19:34 pm
We've lost our WR Corps from last year, a great TE, our starting RB, and we're overhauling our defensive scheme...

I'm sincerely curious why you think we'll do better this year, versus last year (which included several meltdowns)?

We still have some good receivers with Cornelius leading the pack, a good TE, some great RBs, return 4 starters on the Oline, and a starting Senior QB. On defense, the players are far better suited for the 3-4 than they were the 4-3.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Augustus on May 20, 2017, 02:19:34 pm

Recievers are made more by the qb talent. We have a qb that is going into his second year with the same OC for almost his entire time at Arkansas.  I'm not worried about offense with this team.  I am worried about the second half of games where we have looked bad every year CBB has been here so far. 

Next year we are having a fresh qb at the helm again and as of now I feel we will have a worse year than this year.  Really depends on the defense this year and if Paul can make it a respectable defense.  If Enos stays again next year and the defense is much better and we figured out how to play the second half we will be even better, but this year is really about the defense. Offense won't be much of a problem. We will get 30 to 40 almost every game.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 20, 2017, 02:53:30 pm
Recievers are made more by the qb talent. We have a qb that is going into his second year with the same OC for almost his entire time at Arkansas.  I'm not worried about offense with this team.  I am worried about the second half of games where we have looked bad every year CBB has been here so far. 

Next year we are having a fresh qb at the helm again and as of now I feel we will have a worse year than this year.  Really depends on the defense this year and if Paul can make it a respectable defense.  If Enos stays again next year and the defense is much better and we figured out how to play the second half we will be even better, but this year is really about the defense. Offense won't be much of a problem. We will get 30 to 40 almost every game.

I'll disagree with this. Yes, you need a QB who can deliver a ball to a certain spot based on timing (in our offense) but if the receivers don't have the ability to gain separation and be on the spot at the right time it delays the throw, completely throws off the timing, may require the QB to move and re-set to make a throw and then it is all about scrambling ability and perhaps having to throw off balance or at least from a different spot than originally planned, due to the rush. So it isn't all about the QB. The receivers ability to be on the spot, look the ball in and be willing to make a catch in traffic even when expected to take a hit, are significant factors to the completion of any pass attempt.
Go Hogs Go!

Augustus

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 20, 2017, 02:53:30 pm

Our last two games, we only scored 24 points against: a 3-8 Mizzou team, and a not very good Va Tech team.

Last entire season, our point per game average was: 30 pts

And... that was with MANY more offensive weapons than we're returning this year.

Again, I'm asking... what makes you think this year will be better than last year?

Augustus

Quote from: GuvHog on May 20, 2017, 02:37:41 pm
We still have some good receivers with Cornelius leading the pack, a good TE, some great RBs, return 4 starters on the Oline, and a starting Senior QB. On defense, the players are far better suited for the 3-4 than they were the 4-3.

I'll refer back to my earlier post, noting Cornelius & Cantrell's worrisome injuries.  Along with losing RW3 completely:

Quote from: Augustus on May 20, 2017, 02:33:29 pm

It's spring, and we've already lost our starting RB.

Also, Austin Cantrell has a troublesome knee. And Jared Cornelius' hamstring isn't 100 percent.

That's 3 starters on offense. Arguably our best 3 offensive players, besides Austin Allen.

GuvHog

Quote from: Augustus on May 20, 2017, 03:08:14 pm
I'll refer back to my earlier post, noting Cornelius & Cantrell's worrisome injuries.  Along with losing RW3 completely:

It's quite a while till preseason practice begins so Cornelius and Cantrell will have plenty of time to heel. They'll be ready to go.

As for the RBs, Whaley is a Stud and do not underestimate Maleek Williams or TJ Hammonds.

Augustus

Quote from: GuvHog on May 20, 2017, 03:16:49 pm
It's quite a while till preseason practice begins so Cornelius and Cantrell will have plenty of time to heel. They'll be ready to go.

As for the RBs, Whaley is a Stud and do not underestimate Maleek Williams or TJ Hammonds.

Yes, Whaley is a solid RB, but now that he will be expected to head up our backfield? I don't think he's on the same level as JW or AC.  Or, at least I haven't seen that from him, yet.

I'm not underestimating Maleek or TJ.  But, I'm not overestimating them either. One is a freshman in the SEC.  The other is a sophomore that has a total of 88 rushing yards, over 6 games in his 1st season in the SEC.

AFWarrior83

It's a 10 win season (prior to bowl) or bust imo.  I really like CBB, but he's had enough time to amass the talent here to run his style without excuses.

The SEC is wide-open this year, why not us?!  10 wins prior to bowls and we've got a shot at the west division title.
Hogville member since 2005.