Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's talk sec tourney pitching rotation

Started by onebadrubi, May 19, 2017, 09:28:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Let's say regardless if we go Tuesday or Wednesday, are Stephan and knight unavailable?  Stephan would be on short rest of three weeks throwing a lot of pitches yet having some really good performances?  Knight would be on even more short rest? 

Any chance we pitch backwards?  Go with like a Murphy and try to get 4-5 innings and make it a bullpen day in our game 1 to give Stephan and knight another days rest?  I can't remember DVH past history In This scenario? 

jry04

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 19, 2017, 09:28:02 am
Let's say regardless if we go Tuesday or Wednesday, are Stephan and knight unavailable?  Stephan would be on short rest of three weeks throwing a lot of pitches yet having some really good performances?  Knight would be on even more short rest? 

Any chance we pitch backwards?  Go with like a Murphy and try to get 4-5 innings and make it a bullpen day in our game 1 to give Stephan and knight another days rest?  I can't remember DVH past history In This scenario? 
I think we would go with Stephan game 1. Stephan throwing Thursday and then Wednesday is no different than when Knight/Stephan throw Friday of a Fri-Sun series, and then a Thursday for a Thurs-Sat series.

If Taco does well this weekend, then I expect Stephan, Knight, Taco, and whoever else is left after that. No change. The big question will be in regionals. They will have a longer time off between starts, so do we keep Stephan as our first big arm, or do we move Knight back into that position? Do we throw Taco or Murphy in game 1 v a 4 seed if we host, or do we go with our best? If we are in a win or go home scenario and we have Knight and Stephan left, who would DVH turn to as our "best" pitcher? I think both are good, but Stephan seems to have turned the corner since that 1st inning v Ole Miss. I think he may be our best at this point.

dotnet

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 19, 2017, 09:28:02 am

I agree with jry04, but with your adjustment too.  If there is a game on Tuesday, then I think Murphy pitches.  Then Stephan would start on Wednesday for the reasons he mentioned above. 

jry04

Quote from: dotnet on May 19, 2017, 10:17:21 am
I agree with jry04, but with your adjustment too.  If there is a game on Tuesday, then I think Murphy pitches.  Then Stephan would start on Wednesday for the reasons he mentioned above. 
Yeah, forgot about Tuesday. I am just expecting us to get a to 4 seed so it slipped my mind.

dotnet

Quote from: jry04 on May 19, 2017, 09:33:05 am
The big question will be in regionals. They will have a longer time off between starts, so do we keep Stephan as our first big arm, or do we move Knight back into that position? Do we throw Taco or Murphy in game 1 v a 4 seed if we host, or do we go with our best? If we are in a win or go home scenario and we have Knight and Stephan left, who would DVH turn to as our "best" pitcher? I think both are good, but Stephan seems to have turned the corner since that 1st inning v Ole Miss. I think he may be our best at this point.

This is always a huge discussion on this board but I think one thing is not worth arguing. 

Winning the first two games gives you a huge advantage to win the regional no matter what else happens.  You HAVE to pitch your best two pitchers in the first two games to maximize your chances of winning. 

Therefore the question is which do you pitch first between Stephan and Knight.  I actually prefer to leave the rotation alone.  Even if you think Stephan is better, game 1 is the game where you're going against the other team's ace.  Almost no number 2 seed is going to have a #2 pitcher like Vandy. 

I still trust Knight the most to compete in a big game and to give a quality outing.  So in the most crucial game, assuming Knight or Stephan take care of business in game 1, I want Knight on the bump.

jry04

Quote from: dotnet on May 19, 2017, 10:21:53 am
This is always a huge discussion on this board but I think one thing is not worth arguing. 

Winning the first two games gives you a huge advantage to win the regional no matter what else happens.  You HAVE to pitch your best two pitchers in the first two games to maximize your chances of winning. 

Therefore the question is which do you pitch first between Stephan and Knight.  I actually prefer to leave the rotation alone.  Even if you think Stephan is better, game 1 is the game where you're going against the other team's ace.  Almost no number 2 seed is going to have a #2 pitcher like Vandy. 

I still trust Knight the most to compete in a big game and to give a quality outing.  So in the most crucial game, assuming Knight or Stephan take care of business in game 1, I want Knight on the bump.
That is what I was getting at, though. You still have a decision to make. Whether you have to choose to go with your best in game 1 or game 2, who is our best? Technically, at this point, leaving the rotation alone means throwing Stephan. We have thrown Stephan game 1 two weeks in a row now, and I would assume will throw game 1 of the SECT if we get a bye. With Stephan hitting his stride, it is definitely a nice luxury to have to choose between these two.

For the record, unless we are playing some SWAC school round 1 of a regional, I agree with throwing Knight or Stephan game one. With our bullpen, I think our only hope of winning a regional is winning the first 2. I do not see us coming out of the loser's bracket to win it. I am more worried about a regional than a super regional.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: dotnet on May 19, 2017, 10:21:53 am

The Knight of today is not the Knight that started the SEC season. His velocity is down a little, and his ball isn't moving as much. I feel Stephan has been moved to the 1 with good reason.
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

bighog2255

I think we go Murphy or Taco on Wednesday, Stephan Thursday, and Knight Friday (if we get that far).

DVH wants to win, but he's not going to tire guys out either. I don't think he would mind giving Knight a week off, either.

jry04

Quote from: bighog2255 on May 22, 2017, 08:25:48 am
I think we go Murphy or Taco on Wednesday, Stephan Thursday, and Knight Friday (if we get that far).

DVH wants to win, but he's not going to tire guys out either. I don't think he would mind giving Knight a week off, either.
I agree with giving Knight the week off. I just want to make sure we get 1 win. Throw Reindl, Kopps, or Murphy game 1 and hope we win. If we don't, then we are playing Auburn or Ole Miss with Stephan on the mound when they will be playing their 3rd game of the week. I would like our chances.

dotnet

Quote from: jry04 on May 22, 2017, 08:32:16 am
I agree with giving Knight the week off. I just want to make sure we get 1 win. Throw Reindl, Kopps, or Murphy game 1 and hope we win. If we don't, then we are playing Auburn or Ole Miss with Stephan on the mound when they will be playing their 3rd game of the week. I would like our chances.

Unless Keegan Thompson upsets Florida and then you get Florida's Friday guy because they did the same thing

dotnet

With that said, Murphy pitching Wednesday and Stephan pitching Thursday seems like a no brainer to me. 

jbell96

Quote from: dotnet on May 22, 2017, 10:39:40 am
With that said, Murphy pitching Wednesday and Stephan pitching Thursday seems like a no brainer to me. 

I agree. Keeps Stephan on normal rest, and if God forbid we lose our first game, we throw our ace in an elimination game as opposed to Taco or Murphy.

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: jry04 on May 22, 2017, 08:32:16 am
I agree with giving Knight the week off.
The announcers in Saturday's game seemed convinced that Knight had a sore arm, and he was clearly trying to stretch it out on the mound so there could be some truth to that.

What are the chances that DVH sends Knight to Fayetteville during the SEC tourney to rest up in familiar confines and work with the training straff in the Hog facilities?

Need his arm much worse next week than this week, so heal up as best as he can and be ready for the NCAA tourney.

-phil

jry04

Quote from: dotnet on May 22, 2017, 10:25:33 am
Unless Keegan Thompson upsets Florida and then you get Florida's Friday guy because they did the same thing
Maybe, or at that point UF saves their arms because they have nothing to lose or gain in the tournament.
Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on May 22, 2017, 11:52:30 am
The announcers in Saturday's game seemed convinced that Knight had a sore arm, and he was clearly trying to stretch it out on the mound so there could be some truth to that.

What are the chances that DVH sends Knight to Fayetteville during the SEC tourney to rest up in familiar confines and work with the training straff in the Hog facilities?

Need his arm much worse next week than this week, so heal up as best as he can and be ready for the NCAA tourney.

-phil
He clearly looked to be in pain/discomfort.

bighog2255

Quote from: jry04 on May 22, 2017, 12:10:30 pm
Maybe, or at that point UF saves their arms because they have nothing to lose or gain in the tournament. He clearly looked to be in pain/discomfort.

He did have a sore forearm as was mentioned in a post-game article. Said its a lingering thing, and Knight said it was "his fault. Needed to hydrate better" or something to that affect.

bighog2255

As of now,

Stephan - Game 1 Thursday morning
Tacco/Reindl - Game 2 Thursday night or Friday morning
Knight - Game 3 Friday night or Saturday night