Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just call me "Babe" Wiz . . .

Started by WizardofhOgZ, May 18, 2017, 11:00:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

As in Babe Ruth and his famous called shot. 

Let me explain.

Among the guys i watch games with, I'm known as the guy who's always making little predictions . . . "I'll bet we throw the screen here" . . . "Watch them sucker us with the play action deep pass" . . . "DVH is going to call the hit and run", etc.  Of course, the running joke is that I'm never right (not completely true, but mostly) . . . but I'm sure it drives them crazy sometimes.

During baseball season, one or two of us occasionally go to a sports bar and watch.  But with these games on the ESPN app that the bar can't get, sometimes I'll watch and text off and on with one of my buddies who - like me - pretty much watches all the games at home.  And - yes - we both make predictions (use to be a cinch that DVH would call the sac bunt with a runner on first and nobody out - but not so much this year with our HR hitters). 

Anyway, I'm still wrong most of the time.

With one notable and surprising exception. THIS year and this year only, i'm having a heck of a year calling my shot on Hog HR's.  I'm not talking about something like "it would be nice if Koch could do something"; I'm saying "I believe Fletcher will hit a dinger now" as he comes to the plate.

I don't do it often, but I'm 4 for 5 making "the call" on homers this season.  tonight, when Arledge was at bat in the 10th, I texted my buddy "if Jakes gets on base, I'm thinking the Hulk may go yard".  And then, when Arledge did get on base, I texted "I'm making the call.  Time for a Spanberger dinger".

If it was one time, well, everyone gets lucky every now and then.  But with it happening 4 out of 5 time . . . and the rest of my predictions staying as poor as usual . . . well, it's kind of spooky.  I know it's still just luck - but it's weird.  Starting to freak my texting buddy out.

Although, right after that, he did ask me to predict 3 outs for the Aggies . . . ha ha ha . . . if ONLY I could do that with any success (although Jake did take care of business in the bottom of the 10th, no thanks to me!).

theFlyingHog

Cmheinley

Use your powers only for good and never for evil

ricepig

ThisTeetsTaken

With power like this comes great responsibility.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: theFlyingHog on May 18, 2017, 11:07:05 pm
🤔

Look, this isn't an attempt to claim any mystical power.  I know it's ALL pure, random luck.

That said, it is rare good luck.  That's the point.

I've done the math, and an average (90-100 player) golfer is more than TWICE as likely to make a hole in one as what I've described above.  And you are 20 times as likely to select the correct number on a roulette wheel in back to back spins than to pick 4 out of 5 HR called shots correctly.  May not seem like it, but that's a fact.

Too bad my "good luck" was not associated to anything I could monetize.

swineology

Call some good shots tonight Wiz, we need the "W"
:razorback: :razorback:

theFlyingHog

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on May 19, 2017, 04:30:33 pm

Look, this isn't an attempt to claim any mystical power.  I know it's ALL pure, random luck.

That said, it is rare good luck.  That's the point.

I've done the math, and an average (90-100 player) golfer is more than TWICE as likely to make a hole in one as what I've described above.  And you are 20 times as likely to select the correct number on a roulette wheel in back to back spins than to pick 4 out of 5 HR called shots correctly.  May not seem like it, but that's a fact.

Too bad my "good luck" was not associated to anything I could monetize.
Hey baby, I didn't say a word. I'm a nice guy unless your handle is Al Boarland or maybe Hawgon