Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jordan is the GOAT, but does Kareem have an argument?

Started by Ben, May 18, 2017, 10:00:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

IF you compare the two and their numbers, they are pretty much tit for tat. I think Kareem has a great resume to be considered the GOAT by some. What do you think?
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

ShadowHawg

redneckfriend

He was definitely the greatest center to play and he could score at will. He may not have been greater than Jordan but he wins the title of "most underrated (and under appreciated) player in NBA history"

CallMeAl

Another great post about Razorback basketball in the Razorback basketball forum.
Hog since birth.

King Kong

He was great. Would probably be considered higher if he had played his prime years vs the unbelievable Center talent from the Mid 80's to Mid 90's. Ewing, Hakeem, Shaq, and David Robinson.

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: King Kong on May 19, 2017, 08:57:04 am
He was great. Would probably be considered higher if he had played his prime years vs the unbelievable Center talent from the Mid 80's to Mid 90's. Ewing, Hakeem, Shaq, and David Robinson.

HE played against Wilt, Russell, Cowens, Reed, Elvin Hays.  Played almost 20 years, was still very productive in the 80's against Ewing, Hakeem.  I think he would have held his own against Shaq and David Robinson. 

Hawg Red

Kareem is second to Wilt for me at the center position.

King Kong

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on May 19, 2017, 09:40:53 am
HE played against Wilt, Russell, Cowens, Reed, Elvin Hays.  Played almost 20 years, was still very productive in the 80's against Ewing, Hakeem.  I think he would have held his own against Shaq and David Robinson.

First I never said Kareem couldn't compete with those centers only that his prime years didn't line up with theirs.

He didn't play Wilt and Russell in their primes. Cowens, Reed and Hays were all like 6'9 basically old school PF's more than elite centers.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 19, 2017, 10:02:39 am
Kareem is second to Wilt for me at the center position.
It's tough but I have always gone the other way, but it could be I am just partial to Kareem because I am a showtime guy!

As much as I love my Lakers and Kareem, he doesn't compare to Magic, MJ, or Bird in the affect they had on every aspect of the team and game. I have already stated in the prior thread, Magic is the GOAT to me. The reason for me is he is the most "swiss-army knife" player ever. There was a guy I thought might challenge him, but it is not coming to fruition, and that is Durant.

Sweet Feet

Idk. Kareem has a lot of personal records. Thats a tough one

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Rusty Shackleford on May 19, 2017, 08:35:58 am
Another great post about Razorback basketball in the Razorback basketball forum.
That you commented on...

tophawg19

it's off season , anything goes right now because it's slow. you just can't compare players from different positions
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

TushCrush

Most powerful ... Wilt.
Greatest defender and team player - Russell.
Most complete career and greatest NBA center of all time - Kareem.

Kevin McPherson

I've got MJ the GOAT, with Magic and Bird next. Kareem is 4th on my all-time list, and thus my top center. So many basketball gurus have Wilt up there, and I'd agree he probably belongs, but I think the most versatile big I've ever seen play who could dominate at both ends -- and who played against and rose above the other modern-day athletic HOF bigs in Ewing and Robinson -- was Hakeem Olajuwon. Unfortunately for The Dream, he played at the same time as MJ, so there was no way for him to get all the shine and light he deserved. I've got him very close to No. 5 on my list if not for Wilt. LBJ is right there, too, for me.

Those are my Top 6 for now. Bill Russell, Big O, Duncan, Dr. J, Kobe, Moses Malone, Jerry West, and Shaq are my next tier.

waphill

As far as acting goes, Kareem was definitely the goat! He was in a great movie called Airplane. Wilt was in a horrible movie with the Arnold. Spacejam wasn't great.

DLUXHOG

different eras and talent... the talent MJ faced was far superior than his predecessors...........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

EastexHawg

Of course Kareem has an argument.  It's just not a very good one in my opinion.  He played 515 more games...that's about six and a half more seasons...than Chamberlain but pulled down 6,500 fewer rebounds.  Kareem set a lot of records because he played longer than anyone in history other than Robert Parish.  Of course no matter how old he got he was still 7'4" or whatever he was.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: redneckfriend on May 19, 2017, 08:32:23 am
He was definitely the greatest center to play and he could score at will. He may not have been greater than Jordan but he wins the title of "most underrated (and under appreciated) player in NBA history"

Wilt was the greatest center. As an old man he was Kareem's equal in his 3rd to last season.

Kareem never approached the stamina Wilt played with. Wilt played more minutes per game. Wilt was the ONLY center to lead the NBA in assists. Lord only knows how many shots he blocked per game because they didn't keep it as a stat. They made rule changes specifically for Wilt. Never did that for Kareem.

Don't even try the championships bull either.  Those Celtics teams were loaded with Hof players much like the Lakers teams Kareem played on.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: TushCrush on May 19, 2017, 11:17:42 am
Most powerful ... Wilt.
Greatest defender and team player - Russell.
Most complete career and greatest NBA center of all time - Kareem.

Shaq would dominate all three of those guys.

kuhog

I'm going with the man that literally changed the rules of the game - Wilt Chamberlain