Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Once again, rain threatens Arkansas series (this time, Aggie series).

Started by WizardofhOgZ, May 16, 2017, 02:13:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

We really need to play and win some games this weekend.  Here's hoping we can get all 3 games in.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USTX0170:1:US

jry04

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on May 16, 2017, 02:13:45 pm
We really need to play and win some games this weekend.  Here's hoping we can get all 3 games in.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USTX0170:1:US
At least Thursday and Friday look fine. It says AM showers Thursday, and clear Friday. Maybe with the early start Saturday we get that game in, or play a DH on Friday. At least this is nothing like another UT situation.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: jry04 on May 16, 2017, 02:30:42 pm
At least Thursday and Friday look fine. It says AM showers Thursday, and clear Friday. Maybe with the early start Saturday we get that game in, or play a DH on Friday. At least this is nothing like another UT situation.
What really stinks is we've had nice weather in Knoxville everyday since then. If that series had been last weekend or this weekend, it would have been perfect baseball weather. Somehow fate knew how bad I wanted to go to that series
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Suidae Suis Scrofa

A forty percent chance of rain doesn't mean much in SE Texas.  If it does then the rain won't last long or be too hard.

Current forecast for Thursday and Friday is 20% chance - which means it ain't happening.

-phil

jdevers

Haha, lately in northwest Arkansas a 20% chance of rain means it rains twice but at least it's under 3 inches.

twk

Since the Saturday game is scheduled for SEC Network, curfew rules don't apply, and they can play anytime on Saturday. Olsen Field has a great drainage system, and the forecast doesn't not call for all day rain, just periods of rain. While I think there is a high probability of the game experiencing a delay, they should be able to get the game in at some point on Saturday.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on May 16, 2017, 04:15:53 pm
A forty percent chance of rain doesn't mean much in SE Texas.  If it does then the rain won't last long or be too hard.

Current forecast for Thursday and Friday is 20% chance - which means it ain't happening.

-phil

Correct except, even a 100% chance means very little in all of Texass...   I've lived in DFW 30+ Years and have seen very little of the wet stuff regardless of the forecast....   I'm betting College Station sees nothing of rain.... maybe a few clouds, but no rain...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: DLUXHOG on May 18, 2017, 12:46:27 pm
Correct except, even a 100% chance means very little in all of Texass...   I've lived in DFW 30+ Years and have seen very little of the wet stuff regardless of the forecast....   I'm betting College Station sees nothing of rain.... maybe a few clouds, but no rain...

You may be right, and I hope you are.  I've lived in DFW 40 years myself, and I've seen a few frog-stranglers in my time.  Depends on the year.  We had one year 3 or 4 years ago that was double the annual average.

Anyway, tonight was fine.  Looking at the forecast now, it appears that Saturday is the iffy day, with widespread rain across central and North Texas.  In fact, the GDRC has postponed it's Golf Tournament and Spring Rally that Coach Bielema was supposed to attend, based on the forecast.

jry04

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on May 18, 2017, 11:07:47 pm
You may be right, and I hope you are.  I've lived in DFW 40 years myself, and I've seen a few frog-stranglers in my time.  Depends on the year.  We had one 3 or 4 years ago that was double the annual average.

Anyway, tonight was fine.  Looking at the forecast now, it appears that Saturday is the iffy day, with widespread rain across central and North Texas.  In fact, the GDRC has postponed it's Golf Tournament and Spring Rally that Coach Bielema was supposed to attend, based on the forecast.
Since there is no curfew we should get it in, although it may be a long one.

According to the forecast there is an 80% chance during the day, but scattered. However, according to the hourly on multiple sites, there is very little rain throughout the day. It will be interesting to see which is right. Hopefully we win today, so tomorrow is not as important.

PeabodyHawg

Thanks for the updates.  I came in to see if anything had changed and if I should stock the beer fridge for a Double Header today.  We're at the beach so I'm prepared to handle any and all possibilities. 8)

TNhawgfan

The site I looked at didn't show much rain at all tomorrow if any for that area of TX. I'm sure it will change again in an hour though
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: TNhawgfan on May 19, 2017, 11:21:48 am
The site I looked at didn't show much rain at all tomorrow if any for that area of TX. I'm sure it will change again in an hour though

Yep - the forecast has gotten considerably better in the hours since I posted last night.  Looks like we should be able to get the next 2 games in as scheduled (fingers crossed).

Welcome to Texas weather!  Changes by the hour.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on May 19, 2017, 12:00:24 pm
Yep - the forecast has gotten considerably better in the hours since I posted last night.  Looks like we should be able to get the next 2 games in as scheduled (fingers crossed).

Welcome to Texas weather!  Changes by the hour.

actually, drought 24x7x365 I'm thinking...........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)