Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A-State Again Loaded at Skill Positions on Offense

Started by Seminole Indian, May 13, 2017, 09:40:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

May 13, 2017, 09:40:50 am Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 04:47:01 pm by Seminole Indian
Other than receiver Kendal Sanders, QB Chad Voytik, TE Warren Leapheart ,and maybe AB Cameron Echols-Luper , A-State returns all its skill players on offense, and should again be  among the most talented groups in G5, with above average size, speed and athleticism.

Unlike 2016 they have the added benefit of not having as many first year players to get ready in the fall.

The WR position again seems exceptionally strong, and deep with talented veterans SO Omar Bayless ( 6-2, 187), Sr Dijon Paschal( 6-1, 209), Sr Chris Murray (5-9, 180), and Jr Justin McInnis (6-6, 206) primed for big years.  Sophomore Jaylon Marshall (6-2, 190) also returns, and they add former Razorback Kendrick Edwards II ( 6-5, 215), touted freshman Jonathan Adams Jr  (6-3, 185) and RS-FR Brandon Bowling (5-9, 173).

At AB the status of suspended starter Cameron Echols-Luper (5-11, 207),is uncertain at this point, but  explosive Sr Christian Booker (5-9, 180) , SR Sterling Stowers (5-10, 197), and So, Darveon Brown (5-10, 175) return, and they add talented SO Chauncey Mason (5-9, 180), who redshirted in 2016.

At TE they have one of the more explosive TE's in college football in returning starter Sr Blake Mack (6-4, 245), with Sr, Jonah Hill (6-3, 251), and So Avery Johnson(6-3, 233) again returning as quality backups. They add athletic redshirt Javon Isaac (6-2, 214).

At RB  productive starter Jr Warren Wand (5-5, 180) returns, as does effective sidekick SR Johnston White (5-11, 190). They are again backed up by ultra quick Jr Daryl Rollins‐Davis (5-9, 165), Jr Logan Moragne (5-9, 203), and talented So Jamal Jones (5-9, 185).They add touted RS Jr Armond Weh Weh (5-11, 215) to the mix.

It is expected that this group will really improve over 2016, and have a very good year behind a more talented and much more physical OL. Their coaches feel strongly they will be a true down-hill running team for the first time under Anderson & Company.

At QB returning starter Justice Hansen(6-4, 207) returns, and after a strong finish in 2017, and a solid spring, appears  poised to have a breakout season. Behind him there is a noticeable lack of experience, with redshirt Logan Bonner(6-1, 224) as the number two, and true freshman Aldon Clark (6-2, 180), and  walk-on Jr Carson Coats ( 6-1, 185) in reserve.  While Bonner, who has a strong arm and quick release, has impressed, and challenged Hansen for the starting position, depth behind him is a real concern.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

Much was expected of the 2016 offense because of the level of talent, and experience, but the fact is they never lived up to the hype even down the stretch.

Perhaps as a result, HC Blake Anderson will take over play calling and coordinating the offense, and will coach the QB's in 2017. Offensive Coordinator  Buster Faulkner will assist Anderson in coordinating the offense and coach TE's.

It will be interesting to see if this move results in them performing to the level that was expected of the 2016 group, because the 2017 version of the Red Wolves are, if anything, more talented than the 2016 version.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Seminole Indian on May 13, 2017, 05:01:38 pm
Much was expected of the 2016 offense because of the level of talent, and experience, but the fact is they never lived up to the hype even down the stretch.

Perhaps as a result, HC Blake Anderson will take over play calling and coordinating the offense, and will coach the QB's in 2017. Offensive Coordinator  Buster Faulkner will assist Anderson in coordinating the offense and coach TE's.

It will be interesting to see if this move results in them performing to the level that was expected of the 2016 group, because the 2017 version of the Red Wolves are, if anything, more talented than the 2016 version.
I think they actually got a lot better down the stretch because Hansen got better, they probably win a couple more if Hansen had started the season. Question mark 1 is the OL, but right after that is what do they do to substitute the Voytik run package? Echols-Luper ehh who cares I thought he hasn't lived up to the hype.

GolfNut57

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 16, 2017, 07:50:07 pm
I think they actually got a lot better down the stretch because Hansen got better, they probably win a couple more if Hansen had started the season. Question mark 1 is the OL, but right after that is what do they do to substitute the Voytik run package? Echols-Luper ehh who cares I thought he hasn't lived up to the hype.

Echols-Luper is still indefinitely suspended from the team last I heard. His football career at ASU is likely over.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 16, 2017, 07:50:07 pm

I think the consensus about 2016 is the decision not to conduct physical practices in fall camp to avoid injuries, the fact most of the offensive linemen had been recovering from injuries since the previous fall and did not  participate in spring ball, indecision on who the the starting QB would be, plus attempting to bring along a number of transfers were the biggest reason for the slow start.

Down the stretch IMO Hansen was outstanding because it became obvious that their OL could not run block at all.  Their inability to run the ball, especially in the red-zone, made them one dimensional and cost them the ULL game, their only loss after the 0-4 start.

Anderson said the OL  just did not not have the physical tools to be successful in run blocking.

The good thing is that the OL in 2017 does have the physical tools, and is probably a little meaner. Their coaches feel strongly they will be a down-hill running team which should help Hansen & Company perform better.