Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When will Oaklawn put a turf track in?

Started by trough, May 06, 2017, 06:57:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

trough

I thinks it is long overdue to buck tradition and add a turf track at Oaklawn. This would open the door for a fall meet, in which the weather is at its best. They would get a Breeders Cup, and could show the Razorback football games on the infield. Has this already been beaten down?

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: trough on May 06, 2017, 06:57:47 pm
I thinks it is long overdue to buck tradition and add a turf track at Oaklawn. This would open the door for a fall meet, in which the weather is at its best. They would get a Breeders Cup, and could show the Razorback football games on the infield. Has this already been beaten down?
Don't think it will happen as long as Cella owns Oaklawn.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

ghostzapper

Let me know where the turf course goes through the first turn.

HogFanInBryant

I don't think it will ever happen.  If it ain't broke don't fix it...Oaklawn has it going on plus the Cella family will never sell and they are traditionalists.

Torqued pork

How hard would it be to maintain in January, February  and March?

trough

I think they should do a short meet, early March through Derby day....then do a September thru mid November meet. They obviously have the purses to play with the big boys now.

holeinthewall

They have been buying up all the land behind the track.   The track would have to be completely reconfigured for a turf course to fit in.  I prefer turf racing to dirt any day.

kingoftherapids

The cellas whole family isnt traditionalists.   Old man cella is.  The sons want to do a lot of things that are shot down by the dad.   We will start seeing some changes when he is gone.   And a turf track isn't part of these changes.

Iwastherein1969

To answer the OP's question, The Twelfth of Never
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

hog_fan

It be nice. Would like to be able to attend a Breeders Cup. And it be interesting to see what happens when Cella isn't making the final decision.

userpick

Quote from: hog_fan on November 02, 2017, 04:02:09 pm
It be nice. Would like to be able to attend a Breeders Cup. And it be interesting to see what happens when Cella isn't making the final decision.

There's always going to be a Cella making the final decision. Hopefully his kids make changes.

kingoftherapids

the son and grandson are really really progressive and sharp. dad/grandad just says no to everything. already noticing the improvements as grandpa goes down hill...

heavylifting

Isn't the track located within the confines of a national park?

If so, how does that affect changes that might be considered, such as putting in a turf course that would require fertilizing, watering and assorted other maintenance? No effect whatsoever?

I once thought -- perhaps, mistakenly -- that the track was very limited in regards to such matters, considering its location.

kingoftherapids

you are correct. thats the exact reason why we can't race when the track freezes. we let the track freeze bc we spread the stuff that places like AQU does. sucks. but we depend on water here lol gotta keep it clean

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: heavylifting on November 03, 2017, 12:53:20 am
Isn't the track located within the confines of a national park?

If so, how does that affect changes that might be considered, such as putting in a turf course that would require fertilizing, watering and assorted other maintenance? No effect whatsoever?

I once thought -- perhaps, mistakenly -- that the track was very limited in regards to such matters, considering its location.

The National Park is downtown.  There's not much room for the track to expand in its current location.  It has overgrown its old boundaries by a lot.  The track is running out of space for any new barns or other expansion.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

kingoftherapids

there are a couple more barns to be built this next off season. Land is already set aside for them and is cleared.    They have room to expand for more but honestly there won't be a need for many more. We pretty much already have full fields as it is. And with the decent number of farms in town jay stable some we really don't need more than 3 or 4 more. Turf course is not in the long term forecast.