Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 19, 2024, 02:14:20 pm

We Had A Really Good Thing

Started by Boss Hog in the Arkansas, May 05, 2017, 08:18:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

So I was just on youtube listening to the former college football theme song (the one before this boring, anticlimactic playoff theme) and it gave me a rush of memories, specifically the petrino era....back when we were relevant. It was an exciting time to be an Arkansas fan. Several top 10 appearances, helping the SEC dominate the top 5 (#1 Bama, #2 LSU, #3 Arkansas), and being mentioned with the big boys on ESPN. We were legitimate national championship contenders. It was a time when fans KNEW that we could beat anyone on any given Saturday. A time when we could score from any place on the field at any given time. It was just really exciting time to be an Arkansas Razorback fan! We all know how it ended so I wont get into that, but I think were heading back in that direction with bielema. Only time will tell!  :razorback:
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

We're getting closer... We probably wont ever have that good of an offense again, but I believe we are close enough. If we can just have as good of a defense as we have offense right now we will be murderous.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Ā 

Al Boarland

Definitely an exciting time.  I am searching for indicators that we might get within that realm again.

hogsanity

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on May 05, 2017, 08:18:05 am
. We were legitimate national championship contenders. It was a time when fans KNEW that we could beat anyone on any given Saturday. A time when we could score from any place on the field at any given time.

Except not being within 3 td's of two teams in the same division. Could'n score from pretty much anywhere on them, and thus were NOT LEGIT national championship contenders.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BP4

One can only imagine if BP edited got his hands on that 3 headed monster backfield the Big 4 receivers and Mitch Mustain for a year (2008) we would've been better than 2011
Future Hogvillian

Ex-Trumpet

So I was just on youtube listening to the former college football theme song (the one before this boring, anticlimactic playoff theme) and it gave me a rush of memories, specifically the petrino era....back when we were relevant. It was an exciting time to be an Arkansas fan. Several top 10 appearances, helping the SEC dominate the top 5 (#1 Bama, #2 LSU, #3 Arkansas), and being mentioned with the big boys on ESPN. We were legitimate national championship contenders. It was a time when fans KNEW that we could beat anyone on any given Saturday. A time when we could score from any place on the field at any given time. It was just really exciting time to be an Arkansas Razorback fan! We all know how it ended so I wont get into that, but I think were heading back in that direction with bielema. Only time will tell!  :razorback:

We're or were?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

GoHogzzGo

Yeah I still agree with the Petrino firing but dang that was bittersweet. Going to be a long time before we get a top 3 to 4 coach in the country again.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Poker_hog

It was a time when fans KNEW that we could beat anyone on any given Saturday. A time when we could score from any place on the field at any given time. It was just really exciting time to be an Arkansas Razorback fan! We all know how it ended so I wont get into that, but I think were heading back in that direction with bielema. Only time will tell!  :razorback:

With the exception of @Bama I feel we can win every game on our schedule and have felt that way for a couple of years.  The difference is bert finds a way to lose a couple of games every year that we should win.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

LRRandy

except for having the ball 4 times inside the 50 yard line in the fourth quarter of the bowl game and not being able to score a touchdown. Other than that you mean?
This is fun, isn't it.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Poker_hog on May 05, 2017, 09:26:44 am
With the exception of @Bama I feel we can win every game on our schedule and have felt that way for a couple of years.  The difference is Bret finds a way to lose a couple of games every year that we should win.
Agreed. A&M is one of those every year

jkstock04

You better duck from the upcoming onslaught of people explaining away how those years were in actuality nothing but lucky breaks of barely beating certain teams, weak SEC, and a terrible time in our history because we couldn't beat Bama.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Poker_hog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on May 05, 2017, 10:04:55 am

A&M a couple of times, same with mizzou, Toledo, Rutgers, Texas tech, Virginia tech... Thats 8 off the top of my head.

Ā 

The Kig

Quote from: jkstock04 on May 05, 2017, 10:10:03 am
You better duck from the upcoming onslaught of people explaining away how those years were in actuality nothing but lucky breaks of barely beating certain teams, weak SEC, and a terrible time in our history because we couldn't beat Bama.

Mostly just pointless.   Were we?  Yes.   Could Petrino keep his dick in his pants?  No. 

So now we look to the future.  Dwelling on the past is pointless.  Dwelling on what might have been is pointless.  The reasons both Petrino and Nutt are no longer here are because they were both stupid.  In different ways, but full retard level stupidity for both. 
Poker Porker

Pig Tymer

Quote from: LRRandy on May 05, 2017, 09:37:12 am
except for having the ball 4 times inside the 50 yard line in the fourth quarter of the bowl game and not being able to score a touchdown. Other than that you mean?

Why do so many people downplay the 2010/2011 seasons?
If Julian Horton had understood the concept of a blocked punt, we beat Ohio St. in the Sugar Bowl.
In 2011, we went on the road against #1 LSU in the last game of the year with a shot to play for the national championship-we played them to within 1 TD going into the 4th quarter.
Sure, we were overmatched against Alabama in 2011.

But for 2 seasons, we watched every game thinking we had a legit chance to win and the nation wouldn't have been shocked.
For those that mock the success of the 2010/2011 seasons, what do you say about what's happening now?

Poker_hog

Quote from: The Kig on May 05, 2017, 10:27:19 am
Mostly just pointless.   Were we?  Yes.   Could Petrino keep his dick in his pants?  No. 

So now we look to the future.  Dwelling on the past is pointless.  Dwelling on what might have been is pointless.  The reasons both Petrino and Nutt are no longer here are because they were both stupid.  In different ways, but full retard level stupidity for both. 

CBP and to a lesser extent Nutt set the bar for wins and losses.  The past is relativant when evaluating current and future coaches.

BigE_23

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 05, 2017, 08:24:53 am
Definitely an exciting time.  I am searching for indicators that we might get within that realm again.
When you find some, let me know, will ya?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jkstock04 on May 05, 2017, 10:10:03 am

Why duck?  Scared of reality?  The 2010 team could have beaten any team it played.  If Cam had not been at AU, probably would have won an SEC Championship.  Very good team and season.  As it was, choked away a lead at home to Bama as Petrino got stubborn and abandoned the run and Bama closed down the space on the field as they did with every matchup vs Petrino.  We had no chance to beat them in 2011.  The 2011 season was also good.  But as you point out, outside of the win vs SC the regular season wins came against some bad teams and a few were games we had to come back to beat those bad teams in close games.  Petrino's 3 bowl teams at Arkansas didn't play very well in any of the 3 bowl games.  Started slow in all of them.  Good thing was we were physically superior to ECU and K St and ECU's kicker choked.  Dropped passes and penalties were a problem in many games.

Quote from: Pig Tymer on May 05, 2017, 10:31:58 am

If Julian Horton had understood the concept of a blocked punt, we beat Ohio St. in the Sugar Bowl.
In 2011, we went on the road against #1 LSU in the last game of the year with a shot to play for the national championship-we played them to within 1 TD going into the 4th quarter.

But for 2 seasons, we watched every game thinking we had a legit chance to win and the nation wouldn't have been shocked.
For those that mock the success of the 2010/2011 seasons, what do you say about what's happening now?

Not downplaying.  Just not romanticizing nor believing what we saw in those seasons was sustainable at that level especially with what was lost on D after the Cotton Bowl.  Would we have bottomed out as we did?  No.  And BP certainly could have built another very good team. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Polecat

7 or 8 wins is the ceiling now. Under the current regime, football exists solely for marketing and financial purposes for the university.

If you're wanting championships and national relevance, you're gonna be very disappointed
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Gonzo

I'm actually a little surprised this thread got in the upper teens without turning nasty. Maybe we (HV) ARE getting a little better.........

....oh, and "relativant"?   ;)

Go Hogs!

Al Boarland

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on May 05, 2017, 10:04:55 am

Looking at the rosters A&M is not a game that we should win.  They recruit at a higher level therefore they are more talented. 

Al Boarland

Quote from: BigE_23 on May 05, 2017, 10:34:28 am
When you find some, let me know, will ya?

I think we have taken a small step forward in recruiting.   Looooongggg way to go to get to where we need to be to consider the program a contender.

hogsanity

Quote from: BP4 on May 05, 2017, 08:54:34 am
One can only imagine if BP edited got his hands on that 3 headed monster backfield the Big 4 receivers and Mitch Mustain for a year (2008) we would've been better than 2011

well all the backs left after 2007, so that wasn't going to happen.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on May 05, 2017, 11:13:06 am
well all the backs left after 2007, so that wasn't going to happen.

That and we had one of our really inexperienced, bad defenses in 2008 even by Arkansas defensive standards. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Ā 

LRRandy

I did not downplay those seasons. They were great. Exciting. Full of wins, along with the expectation of winning (real expectation, not just "book it" on a  message board). I was simply pointing to an exception to the " score any time on anyone" point of his post. The IF you use about Julian Horton being the lone hurdle to beating tOhio State is not quite accurate. Yes, a scoop and score would have given Arkansas the lead. You can't say though that victory was guaranteed. Another if. IF Tressel doesn't go into turtle mode the 18 point lead grows in the second half. Arkansas had no answer for a wide open Buckeye offense in the first half.
This is fun, isn't it.

hogsanity

Not downplaying at all, but pointing out the things that many alwasy forget when talking about that season.

After the last 3 seasons no one would be surprised of the Hogs beat anyone on their schedule. IN the past 3 seasons they have beaten ranked teams at home and on the road. Played bama to a 1 pt game and had a shot at the end to beat #1 MSu at MSu. And played some other ranked teams tough too. And the last two years the offense has been just as good as any the Hogs have had.

TexArkHogFan

We could have been a contender..............
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Poker_hog

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 05, 2017, 10:48:25 am
Looking at the rosters A&M is not a game that we should win.  They recruit at a higher level therefore they are more talented. 

Should we lose 5 in a row to them?

Al Boarland

Quote from: hogsanity on May 05, 2017, 11:26:17 am

After the last 3 seasons no one would be surprised of the Hogs beat anyone on their schedule. IN the past 3 seasons they have beaten ranked teams at home and on the road. Played bama to a 1 pt game and had a shot at the end to beat #1 MSu at MSu. And played some other ranked teams tough too. And the last two years the offense has been just as good as any the Hogs have had.

You make a good point.  I think we should clarify the difference between people being surprised if we pull out a win and picking us to win the game outright.  It would be interesting the see the lines on games while CBP was running the program.

The Kig

Quote from: Polecat on May 05, 2017, 10:47:49 am
7 or 8 wins is the ceiling now. Under the current regime, football exists solely for marketing and financial purposes for the university.

If you're wanting championships and national relevance, you're gonna be very disappointed

Really?  Seriously?  If your first moronic statement is true, then your second wouldn't be.  Under all current, past and future regimes, football is a marketing and financial driver for the University.   So in order to improve the brand and finances, the ceiling can never be 7-8 wins.  Does that mean that we will never have bad/average seasons?  No, of course not.  We should have done better last season, even with a historically terrible Defense that cost coaches their jobs and caused us to completely change schemes.  Maybe this season we will...we certainly can't be worse defensively.   I don't know the outcome of the coming season, but this is just a willfully ignorant statement.   
Poker Porker

Al Boarland

Quote from: The Kig on May 05, 2017, 11:47:07 am
we certainly can't be worse defensively.

This is a false statement.  We can be the same, worse or better.

bphi11ips

The number that keeps sticking in my head is 12-28. Twelve and Twenty-Eight.  Tweeeeeellllvvvvve and Tweeennnttty-Eiggggghhhhht!!!  That is our SEC record over the last 5 years.  Only Kentucky's is worse.

When I saw that number the other day here I looked at Arkansas's historic record by season.  I didn't try and break each season down by conference and non-conference games because I couldn't find a list where they are broken down that way. However, the only stretch I saw that comes close to the disastrous record we've endured since 2011 was 1950-53, when we went a combined 12-28 over 4 years.  Three of those years came under Otis Douglas, and one came under Bowden Wyatt, who went 3-8 before going 8-3 in 1954, after which he took the head job at his alma mater, Tennessee.

This is not an endorsement by any means of BP.  I thought he did a terrible job of recruiting before he wound up in a ditch.  On the other hand, 12-28 is the 5-year low point for almost all of us with any memory of Razorbacks football.  I have 50 years of memories myself. 

Something has to change soon.     
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

scorekeeper

The thing with us is that we are either breaking in a new quarterback or replacing an experienced defense especially when the schedule seems to align. I always wonder if it benefits the team/program more to play younger guys if there isn't a major gap in talent with the upperclassman. At least let them split time.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Polecat

Really?  Seriously?  If your first moronic statement is true, then your second wouldn't be.  Under all current, past and future regimes, football is a marketing and financial driver for the University.   So in order to improve the brand and finances, the ceiling can never be 7-8 wins.  Does that mean that we will never have bad/average seasons?  No, of course not.  We should have done better last season, even with a historically terrible Defense that cost coaches their jobs and caused us to completely change schemes.  Maybe this season we will...we certainly can't be worse defensively.   I don't know the outcome of the coming season, but this is just a willfully ignorant statement.   

Season record under CBB
3-9
7-6
8-5
7-6

Football revenue in 2013: $24 million (net)
Football revenue in 2016: $34 million (net)

The football program continues to make more and more money, despite mediocre winning percentage and not competing for championships. The money is what's the priority, not winning. That's clear. Not sure what's moronic about pointing that out.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/arkansas-one-of-24-financially-self-supporting-programs-in-ncaa/

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 05, 2017, 11:57:31 am
The number that keeps sticking in my head is 12-28. Twelve and Twenty-Eight.  Tweeeeeellllvvvvve and Tweeennnttty-Eiggggghhhhht!!!  That is our SEC record over the last 5 years.  Only Kentucky's is worse.

When I saw that number the other day here I looked at Arkansas's historic record by season.  I didn't try and break each season down by conference and non-conference games because I couldn't find a list where they are broken down that way. However, the only stretch I saw that comes close to the disastrous record we've endured since 2011 was 1950-53, when we went a combined 12-28 over 4 years.  Three of those years came under Otis Douglas, and one came under Bowden Wyatt, who went 3-8 before going 8-3 in 1954, after which he took the head job at his alma mater, Tennessee.

This is not an endorsement by any means of BP.  I thought he did a terrible job of recruiting before he wound up in a ditch.  On the other hand, 12-28 is the 5-year low point for almost all of us with any memory of Razorbacks football.  I have 50 years of memories myself. 

I care nothing about the record in 12-14.  Program bottomed out and had to be built.   Some things in the last two seasons have been troubling.  I can understand looking at those. 

Razorbackers

Quote from: hogsanity on May 05, 2017, 08:50:39 am
Except not being within 3 td's of two teams in the same division. Could'n score from pretty much anywhere on them, and thus were NOT LEGIT national championship contenders.

Shhh, let them reminisce.

jkstock04

I believe it to be true. In all honesty it's probably been that way forever now and I just now caught on the past couple of years. Think about it, neither Nutt nor Petrino got let go because of wins and losses. Bielema won't either, no chance. Had it not been for off the field shenanigans with Mitch Mustain Houston Nutt would probably still have a job here.

You gotta give Jeff Long credit...he is excellent at marketing and pushing the "brand." However, winning/losing football games wouldn't make the top five on the 'to do' list at Arkansas while in the South eastern conference. Anyone who believes it does is not paying attention. Do they want to win? Sure...but it's merely the cherry on top if it happens.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Poker_hog

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 05, 2017, 11:57:31 am

This is where I'm at.  It's frankly disappointing that most people are ok with cbb's record.  In fact it's pretty well accepted by most that he could go 3-5 or even 2-6 in conference and not be fired this year.

hogsanity

Quote from: scorekeeper on May 05, 2017, 12:00:15 pm
The thing with us is that we are either breaking in a new quarterback or replacing an experienced defense especially when the schedule seems to align. I always wonder if it benefits the team/program more to play younger guys if there isn't a major gap in talent with the upperclassman. At least let them split time.

Yep, we never have all the pieces at once it seems.

Polecat

Quote from: jkstock04 on May 05, 2017, 12:04:58 pm
I believe it to be true. In all honesty it's probably been that way forever now and I just now caught on the past couple of years. Think about it, neither Nutt nor Petrino got let go because of wins and losses. Bielema won't either, no chance. Had it not been for off the field shenanigans with Mitch Mustain Houston Nutt would probably still have a job here.

You gotta give Jeff Long credit...he is excellent at marketing and pushing the "brand." However, winning/losing football games wouldn't make the top five on the 'to do' list at Arkansas while in the South eastern conference. Anyone who believes it does is not paying attention. Do they want to win? Sure...but it's merely the cherry on top if it happens.

Exactly my point

bphi11ips

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 05, 2017, 12:04:03 pm
I care nothing about the record in 12-14.  Program bottomed out and had to be built.   Some things in the last two seasons have been troubling.  I can understand looking at those. 

I agree the program bottomed out.  Not sure what happened in 1950-53.  Maybe someone here does.  The point is that we are seeing historic lows, not just cyclical lows the way even Frank Broyles saw them for two years in the 60's.  Was BP the impetus?  Is A&M joining the conference the reason?  We have dominated them until the last 5 years.  Is the SEC West simply stronger from top to bottom than ever?  Have we as a program become uncompetitive?

I don't know the answer to those questions, just raising them, but I think this year and next will be an indicator. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

rhames

Quote from: Polecat on May 05, 2017, 10:47:49 am

Oxymoron
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Al Boarland

Quote from: hogsanity on May 05, 2017, 12:08:55 pm
Yep, we never have all the pieces at once it seems.
That's because of the recruiting challenges.

hogsanity

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 05, 2017, 12:09:40 pm
I agree the program bottomed out.  Not sure what happened in 1950-53.  Maybe someone here does.  The point is that we are seeing historic lows, not just cyclical lows the way even Frank Broyles saw them for two years in the 60's.  Was BP the impetus?  Is A&M joining the conference the reason?  We have dominated them until the last 5 years.  Is the SEC West simply stronger from top to bottom than ever?  Have we as a program become uncompetitive?

I don't know the answer to those questions, just raising them, but I think this year and next will be an indicator.

Was BP the impetus?  BP couldn't fix Arkansas' problems(no coach can):  the instate recruiting base which leads to an inability to consistently recruit enough SEC level defensive players.  His firing which he caused did lead to the complete void in leadership and not just a rebuild but a bottoming out.

A&M?  Not in the least.  They have put out a number of first round picks.  But this isn't what caused our decline to go as low as it did.

SECW?  No.  SECW peaked IMO in 2011.  Some think a couple of years ago with MSU and OM being really good.  The SECW is still the deepest division in college football with multiple programs capable of routinely bringing in top 5-10 recruiting classes.  It has made our climb harder but isn't a cause of what happened.  Our schedule just exposed us much more harshly than if we had been in some other conferences. 

Uncompetitive?  Not in the least.  Far from it since really the TT win in 2014 in Lubbock.  We are 10-8 in the SEC since the LSU win in 2014.  The SEC games which standout are AU 56-3 and the Mizzou loss last season as awful, unacceptable doubt causing losses. 

We were going to have to rebuild after 2011 given what was lost from the D and some of our playmakers.  The dream fantasy was Tyler and the offense was going to carry the team to greatness.  Reality was we had some holes in pass pro and D.  With Petrino's leadership the bottom wouldn't have fallen out.  Without him we know it did.  We were totally leaderless with the coaches and players.  For a program like ours it was like getting hit with heavy NCAA sanctions.  Roster attrition and lost recruiting time for a program which can't afford it.  So a couple of rebuilding seasons went much lower.  Bielema had to build back up from that point.  I've equated it to a house.  With Bobby, we would have just had to do some renovations.  Instead our house got swallowed in a sinkhole.  Bielema had to build a new one. 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Then the Honey Badger happened

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 05, 2017, 10:45:03 am
Why duck?  Scared of reality?  The 2010 team could have beaten any team it played.  If Cam had not been at AU, probably would have won an SEC Championship.  Very good team and season.  As it was, choked away a lead at home to Bama as Petrino got stubborn and abandoned the run and Bama closed down the space on the field as they did with every matchup vs Petrino.  We had no chance to beat them in 2011.  The 2011 season was also good.  But as you point out, outside of the win vs SC the regular season wins came against some bad teams and a few were games we had to come back to beat those bad teams in close games.  Petrino's 3 bowl teams at Arkansas didn't play very well in any of the 3 bowl games.  Started slow in all of them.  Good thing was we were physically superior to ECU and K St and ECU's kicker choked.  Dropped passes and penalties were a problem in many games.

Not downplaying.  Just not romanticizing nor believing what we saw in those seasons was sustainable at that level especially with what was lost on D after the Cotton Bowl.  Would we have bottomed out as we did?  No.  And BP certainly could have built another very good team.
his coaching style allows him to build a dangerous team relatively quickly, but it goes away just as fast!

murthage

Who knows... maybe Petrino could have led us to the promise land, but at what cost.  Think Baylor.  He definitely was not a "players" or "fans" coach, unless you would sell your soul for more wins.  Think Michael Dyer.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 05, 2017, 10:48:25 am
Using that logic, Ole Miss should've destroyed us the past 3 years.......they should have LOL

Al Boarland

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on May 05, 2017, 01:42:04 pm
Using that logic, Ole Miss should've destroyed us the past 3 years.......they should have LOL

That's correct. Obviously other factors come into play, but before the season starts basing a record on talent is a good way to go.