Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clemson football 2016 was overrated

Started by Stephen Greene, May 01, 2017, 06:19:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Greene

First off, they lost to Pittsburgh - who does that?

Then there's Dabo Sweeney himself. He's never been a coordinator, so there's a large void in place of having A Head Coach oversee a Defensive Football Coaching Staff and/or an Offensive Football Coaching Staff.

Did he just roll the dice on on Co-Coordinators Tony Elliot and Jeff Scott and get lucky? Yep! He sure did. Hold Dabo's hand while your pulling the handle on a slot machine, fine, I understand that. He's The Lucky Guy.

But I don't want him coaching my team.

Then there's Brent Venables. He gave up 35 points to Virginia Tech. Bonehead! Almost lost the game.

Before that, he gave up 24 points to Troy. At home. Almost lost! Not much of a Defensive Football Coaching Staff at all right there. No wonder Jeff Long wanted no part of that Brent Venables idiot coaching here.

I don't know if any Clemson players got drafted the other day, but if they did, oh boy, what a dumb move.

Oh yeah, Overtime Win to North Carolina State? Lucky!

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Stephen Greene on May 01, 2017, 06:19:10 pm

Then there's Dabo Sweeney himself. He's never been a coordinator, so there's a large void in place of having A Head Coach oversee a Defensive Football Coaching Staff and/or an Offensive Football Coaching Staff.

Did he just roll the dice on on Co-Coordinators Tony Elliot and Jeff Scott and get lucky? Yep! He sure did. Hold Dabo's hand while your pulling the handle on a slot machine, fine, I understand that. He's The Lucky Guy.

Then there's Brent Venables. He gave up 35 points to Virginia Tech. Bonehead! Almost lost the game.

Before that, he gave up 24 points to Troy. At home. Almost lost! Not much of a Defensive Football Coaching Staff at all right there. No wonder Jeff Long wanted no part of that Brent Venables idiot coaching here.

I don't know if any Clemson players got drafted the other day, but if they did, oh boy, what a dumb move.

In his 21 years as a full-time assistant coach, his teams have 21 winning seasons, have been to 24 bowl games and have won 10+ games 17 times.

Has coached in five National Championship games.

Recipient of the 2016 Frank Broyles Award as the nation's top assistant coach. His 2016 group amassed 130 tackles for loss and a school-record 49 sacks. His teams have led the NCAA in total tackles for loss each of the last four seasons.

Named one of the top-10 recruiters in the ACC in 2015 by Rivals.

National defensive coordinator-of-the-year by FootballScoop in 2014 and national recruiter-of-the-year by Rivals in 2015.

Named one of the top-25 recruiters in the nation in 2013 by Rivals.

Named one of the top-50 recruiters in the nation in 2013 by 247Sports.

Named one of the top-10 recruiters in the ACC in 2013 by Rivals.

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28500&ATCLID=205529403

Stephen Greene

Who? Venables?

Please! His boss Dabo Sweeney has never been a coordinator. What kind of "coordinator" works for a boss who's never been a coordinator?? A fraud, that's who.

Oh wait, Dabo was a recruiting coordinator right? Does that count? Is that someone who should be leading a Football Coaching Staff?

Yeah I don't think so. Collection of keystone cops maybe. That's what Clemson is.

grayhawg

Quote from: Stephen Greene on May 01, 2017, 09:26:24 pm
Who? Venables?

Please! His boss Dabo Sweeney has never been a coordinator. What kind of "coordinator" works for a boss who's never been a coordinator?? A fraud, that's who.

Oh wait, Dabo was a recruiting coordinator right? Does that count? Is that someone who should be leading a Football Coaching Staff?

Yeah I don't think so. Collection of keystone cops maybe. That's what Clemson is.

Stephen Greene

Quote from: Buff on May 02, 2017, 08:31:55 am
This thread gives me the sad.  Seriously, even a true, honest-to-God troll wouldn't have made the original post.  And now you've gone and called down the GoHogs1091 (aka Grand Poobah of the Brent Venables International Fan Club) thunder.

You're not even troll level; you may actually be too crappy of a poster to be considered a troll.

Think about that while you ponder your life decisions that led you to start this thread.

Terry Don Phillips says hi.

Your post is a little bit condescending

that's okay! I'm here to make friends. I'm sure if you and I had a beer together we'd see more eye to eye, especially on Venables. So I will admit, maybe I was a bit harsh in my OP on Dabo Sweeney. He did win that National Championship. He's the reason, I know. Him and the quarterback and the defensive line coach.

So I am backing off my criticism of Dabo somewhat. And the Dline coach.

thebignasty

I think Lane Kiffin coaches circles around Venables in a head to head match up.  Saban's ego cost him.

HotlantaHog

I am reasonably sure the OP is a joke or sarcasm ... It was interesting during the year to see how Clemson would get regularly bashed and no one thought they had a chance versus Bama (really either of the past two years.)

Stephen Greene

Quote from: thebignasty on May 02, 2017, 11:23:57 am
I think Lane Kiffin coaches circles around Venables in a head to head match up.  Saban's ego cost him.

correct - Saban's temper behind the scenes sent Kiffin packing and forced Steve Sarkesian onto the scene - Sarkesian ate a big booger and lost all the marbles to a team that never should have been in the top four anyway

I'm sure Saban still has nightmares about that Season-Ending Implosion

Buff

Quote from: Stephen Greene on May 02, 2017, 09:03:52 am

Your post is a little bit condescending

that's okay! I'm here to make friends. I'm sure if you and I had a beer together we'd see more eye to eye, especially on Venables. So I will admit, maybe I was a bit harsh in my OP on Dabo Sweeney. He did win that National Championship. He's the reason, I know. Him and the quarterback and the defensive line coach.

So I am backing off my criticism of Dabo somewhat. And the Dline coach.

If we had a beer together I'd go to the restroom, sneak out the back, and leave you with the tab.  It's just who I am.

Stephen Greene

Quote from: Buff on May 02, 2017, 09:02:52 pm
If we had a beer together I'd go to the restroom, sneak out the back, and leave you with the tab.  It's just who I am.

well that's not very nice

hawgmasta

Man you better watch out trashing venables like that, GoHogs1091 will get that isp number, track you down and cruise outside your house till he catches you. "Say Venables is a top 3 DC of all time and deserves a head coaching gig!"

snoblind

LOL.  HRV has more alter egos than 1091 has posts praising Venables.

;)

Supermark101

Quote from: Stephen Greene on May 01, 2017, 06:19:10 pm

OK Stephen show us on the doll where Dabo touched you.

Seriously that's a lot of hate for something that has nothing to do with Arkansas on an Arkansas board

Stephen Greene

Quote from: Supermark101 on May 11, 2017, 05:07:39 am
OK Stephen show us on the doll where Dabo touched you.

Seriously that's a lot of hate for something that has nothing to do with Arkansas on an Arkansas board

Correct. It is hate. Or maybe it's not. Maybe it's the FACT that floppy haired Alabama frat boys get priviledged jobs they don't deserve because they come from Alabama old money. The fix was in for Dabo. He never even was a coordinator, and he got that job he didn't deserve. PRIVELEDGED!

Same reason Bill Battle got the Tennessee job way back when. Dabo is The New Bill Battle!

hawgmasta

Quote from: Stephen Greene on May 11, 2017, 09:27:57 am
Correct. It is hate. Or maybe it's not. Maybe it's the FACT that floppy haired Alabama frat boys get priviledged jobs they don't deserve because they come from Alabama old money. The fix was in for Dabo. He never even was a coordinator, and he got that job he didn't deserve. PRIVELEDGED!

Same reason Bill Battle got the Tennessee job way back when. Dabo is The New Bill Battle!

Didn't Dabo grow up in poverty?

Stephen Greene

Quote from: hawgmasta on May 11, 2017, 02:29:45 pm
Didn't Dabo grow up in poverty?

Exactly! That's an important irony for us to look at here.

thebignasty

I think Bill Battle probably is a better x's and o's guy if we are being honest.

Stephen Greene

Quote from: thebignasty on May 11, 2017, 10:08:29 pm
I think Bill Battle probably is a better x's and o's guy if we are being honest.

Clemson will go 5-7 this year

best case scenario

Supermark101

Quote from: Stephen Greene on May 11, 2017, 09:27:57 am

I eagerly await your reaction to Dabo taking over Bama, when Saban retires.

Quote from: Stephen Greene on May 14, 2017, 08:07:43 pm

best case scenario

I got $50 that says they do better than that.

Stephen Greene

Quote from: Supermark101 on May 24, 2017, 05:08:43 am

I got $50 that says they do better than that.

no way that happens!

I'll take that bet!!!!

thebignasty

This will be fun to follow this upcoming season.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: thebignasty on May 24, 2017, 12:24:02 pm
This will be fun to follow this upcoming season.

This thread could change Hogville forever.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Stephen Greene on May 14, 2017, 08:07:43 pm

best case scenario

Just keep in mind that they won't have as much of a drop off on Offense without Watson as some analysts may feel they will have.

Bryant and Cooper could probably be a starter at QB for all other FBS teams with the exception of 8 or 9 other FBS teams.

It has been stated that their probable starting RB (Feaster) could be better than C.J. Spiller, who was a consensus All-American RB for them.

Their WR Corps is loaded with elite NFL talent.

Their entire starting Defensive Line could be future 1st Round NFL Draft picks.  Their probable starting Defensive Tackles, Wilkins and Lawrence, are definitely future 1st Round NFL Draft picks.

Stephen Greene

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on May 25, 2017, 09:31:13 pm
Just keep in mind that they won't have as much of a drop off on Offense without Watson as some analysts may feel they will have.

Bryant and Cooper could probably be a starter at QB for all other FBS teams with the exception of 8 or 9 other FBS teams.

It has been stated that their probable starting RB (Feaster) could be better than C.J. Spiller, who was a consensus All-American RB for them.

Their WR Corps is loaded with elite NFL talent.

Their entire starting Defensive Line could be future 1st Round NFL Draft picks.  Their probable starting Defensive Tackles, Wilkins and Lawrence, are definitely future 1st Round NFL Draft picks.

No way

Nothing you wrote there is even remotely possible

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Stephen Greene on May 26, 2017, 02:47:53 pm
No way

Nothing you wrote there is even remotely possible

I don't think the general non-Clemson fan public knows how well they recruit.

For instance, this will be their main WR Corps this upcoming season.

Cain   5 Star   The #3 ranked WR in the nation when he came out of High School.

http://247sports.com/Player/Deon-Cain-33748?Institution=9177

Higgins   5 Star   6' 4 1/2"   The #2 ranked WR in the nation coming out of High School.

http://247sports.com/Player/Tee-Higgins-77318

Renfrow   Very good route runner and very sure handed.  He caused Alabama a lot of problems the last 2 NC games.

McCloud     The #7 ranked Athlete in the nation when he came out of High School.  Clemson decided to play him at WR.

http://247sports.com/Player/Ray-Ray-McCloud-23207?Institution=9184

Thompson   4 Star

http://247sports.com/Player/Trevion-Thompson-19057?Institution=17066

Powell   4 Star

http://247sports.com/Player/Cornell-Powell-36471?Institution=16960

Overton    4 Star   6'5"

http://247sports.com/Player/Diondre-Overton-77842?Institution=17116

Rodgers   4 Star

http://247sports.com/player/amari-rodgers-36512

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Supermark101 on May 24, 2017, 05:08:43 am

Dabo would be dumb to take the Alabama job right after Saban retired.  I would wait for the failure of at least 1 or 2 coaches there first.  Dabo could win 10 and 11 games there and end up on a hot seat because he doesn't win the sec or championship with in 3 years. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Buff

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 26, 2017, 10:15:27 pm
Dabo would be dumb to take the Alabama job right after Saban retired.  I would wait for the failure of at least 1 or 2 coaches there first.  Dabo could win 10 and 11 games there and end up on a hot seat because he doesn't win the sec or championship with in 3 years. 

This.  It'll be his retirement job.

Stephen Greene

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on May 26, 2017, 06:38:34 pm
I don't think the general non-Clemson fan public knows how well they recruit.

For instance, this will be their main WR Corps this upcoming season.

Cain   5 Star   The #3 ranked WR in the nation when he came out of High School.

http://247sports.com/Player/Deon-Cain-33748?Institution=9177

Higgins   5 Star   6' 4 1/2"   The #2 ranked WR in the nation coming out of High School.

http://247sports.com/Player/Tee-Higgins-77318

Renfrow   Very good route runner and very sure handed.  He caused Alabama a lot of problems the last 2 NC games.

McCloud     The #7 ranked Athlete in the nation when he came out of High School.  Clemson decided to play him at WR.

http://247sports.com/Player/Ray-Ray-McCloud-23207?Institution=9184

Thompson   4 Star

http://247sports.com/Player/Trevion-Thompson-19057?Institution=17066

Powell   4 Star

http://247sports.com/Player/Cornell-Powell-36471?Institution=16960

Overton    4 Star   6'5"

http://247sports.com/Player/Diondre-Overton-77842?Institution=17116

Rodgers   4 Star

http://247sports.com/player/amari-rodgers-36512

Are those supposed to prove something?

Four Star Lists do not excite me

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 24, 2017, 01:34:37 pm
This thread could change Hogville forever.
as soon as i saw the first sentence i knew this was a troll designed to ensnare GoHogs.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang