Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Dallas Cowboys

Started by rzrbkman, September 10, 2018, 09:16:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbkman

Did you think the team looked improved in any areas?

RedRover10

Defense although young looked really good and kept them in the game. Pass protection was awful, dak was running for his life. The loss of Travis Frederick was detrimental to the oline and team. Looks like letting dez go was a mistake. Although not a cowboys fan at times find myself pulling for them so I can see Rodgers kill yalls hopes and dreams again come playoffs.

rzrbkman

Quote from: RedRover10 on September 10, 2018, 11:05:15 am
Defense although young looked really good and kept them in the game. Pass protection was awful, dak was running for his life. The loss of Travis Frederick was detrimental to the oline and team. Looks like letting dez go was a mistake. Although not a cowboys fan at times find myself pulling for them so I can see Rodgers kill yalls hopes and dreams again come playoffs.

'yalls'??? I am for any team that plays the Cowboys

holeinthewall

0-2 after the Giants beat them down Sunday night.

hawkhawg

I thought there Def looked better.

rzrbkman

Quote from: holeinthewall on September 11, 2018, 05:35:26 am
0-2 after the Giants beat them down Sunday night.

If the Cowboys lose Sunday night and look really bad, I don't think JG will still be coach on Monday morning.

RedRover10

Quote from: rzrbkman on September 12, 2018, 03:43:49 pm
If the Cowboys lose Sunday night and look really bad, I don't think JG will still be coach on Monday morning.

Guess who would love to eat Dallas' artificial grass

oldman1015

Quote from: rzrbkman on September 12, 2018, 03:43:49 pm
Jerrah has been the coach for years.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

alohawg

Ok, so the Cowboys are back on pace to.......do what they've done for years, play .500 ball.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

EastexHawg

As long as the defense plays well enough that the Cowboys don't really have to score much to win they will be fine.

alohawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 17, 2018, 07:00:29 am
As long as the defense plays well enough that the Cowboys don't really have to score much to win they will be fine.

I thought coming into the season the defense had a chance to be top shelf if things fell right.
Now if they can just get the offense to be consistently efficient enough to rest that defense and put some td's on the board 3-4 times a game, we may have something.
As it stands, it's the packers, rams and eagles at the top.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

DeltaBoy

They looked solid Sunday.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawgfan4life

Played uncharacteristically well in that they didn't have the usual self-destructive penalties that they normally have in close games that lose.  Played pretty well on defense.

pigture perfect

I still won't like the Cowboys, but if JG would get the heave-ho, I would feel better about them.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hawkhawg

Quote from: pigture perfect on September 19, 2018, 11:01:29 pm
I still won't like the Cowboys, but if JG would get the heave-ho, I would feel better about them.

I was never a Cowboys fan, but after Jerry Jones bought the team and with so many players and coaches with Arkansas connections: Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer, Hamlin, Stoerner, Felix, Dmac, etc.   I became a fan.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: hawgfan4life on September 19, 2018, 10:44:06 pm
Played uncharacteristically well in that they didn't have the usual self-destructive penalties that they normally have in close games that lose.  Played pretty well on defense.

Today they played like their typical self and beat themselves.  Defense spotted Seattle 10 points right before half with as bad a play by a safety as you will ever see and a stupendously stupid penalty right in front of the official.  They took a TD off the board with an inexcusable stepping out of bounds penalty.  Then allowed Seattle to go get a FG. Another 10 point swing. It is a culture issue within the team at this point.

EastexHawg

They don't have a QB who can stretch the field by executing an NFL level downfield passing game.  Yet another brilliant Jerry Jones/Jason Garrett production on display...

alohawg

What do you guys think about Tua? Maybe I'm a little biased as a Hawaii resident, but I think he has that 'it factor'  even going next level. I'd love to have him in Dallas in 2020 somehow, our own better version of Russell Wilson.
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

hawgfan4life

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 23, 2018, 09:27:41 pm
They don't have a QB who can stretch the field by executing an NFL level downfield passing game.  Yet another brilliant Jerry Jones/Jason Garrett production on display...

What makes you think that is anymore opinion than fact.  What do you call "NFL Level downfield passing" for your post?  A majority of his passes I have watched are downfield.  If you are talking about stretching the field a certain percentage of the time or at least using receivers to stretch the field, teams aren't letting our receivers run unguarded down the field.  They are sending DBs with them and thereby opening up intermediate and short zones.  What WR is on the roster that is a throw it up and let him go get it type of player?  Dez Bryant wasn't even highly effective with that role when he was on the team with Romo.   

Way too hard to know what DP can do since we are Jekyl and Hyde each week on the OL, play calling, and every other variable that affects offensive production.  The one thing that is generally consistent is players getting dumb penalties and/or blowing their assignments and making DP have to play behind the sticks and down-marker. 

hawgfan4life

Add to above; if Dallas had a less mobile but better pro passing QB, he would likely be getting killed with all the hurries, contact, and sacks.  Hard to be an effective QB with what he has had to deal with this year and last.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hawgfan4life on September 24, 2018, 01:42:07 pm
Add to above; if Dallas had a less mobile but better pro passing QB, he would likely be getting killed with all the hurries, contact, and sacks.  Hard to be an effective QB with what he has had to deal with this year and last.

Prescott has and has had a much better offensive line than Romo had for almost all of his career.  Look at their respective passing numbers.  Romo is one of the three or four highest rated passers in NFL history. 

If you want to know what I was talking about when I said NFL level downfield passing attack look at Romo.  The one year he played with a very good offensive line and top running back he put up the best passing numbers in NFL history in December, led the league in passing, should have been the MVP, and had the Cowboys a catch that was ruled a non-catch from beating the Packers in Lambeau and playing for the Super Bowl against a Seattle team they had already dominated.

Dak has the best running game in the NFL and still can't get the ball down field.  He is a dinker and dunker.

DeltaBoy

Jerry Jones can make millions with the Cowboys but he is too bull headed to hire a GM and build another winner like he had with Jimmy Johnson! So I stopped caring !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 24, 2018, 09:27:15 pm
Prescott has and has had a much better offensive line than Romo had for almost all of his career.  Look at their respective passing numbers.  Romo is one of the three or four highest rated passers in NFL history. 

If you want to know what I was talking about when I said NFL level downfield passing attack look at Romo.  The one year he played with a very good offensive line and top running back he put up the best passing numbers in NFL history in December, led the league in passing, should have been the MVP, and had the Cowboys a catch that was ruled a non-catch from beating the Packers in Lambeau and playing for the Super Bowl against a Seattle team they had already dominated.

Dak has the best running game in the NFL and still can't get the ball down field.  He is a dinker and dunker.
Too bad there isn't a statistic for crucial plays in big games.  I wonder where Romo would rank in that category.  Tony Romo was there long enough that he was the QB through a variety of strengths and weaknesses.  Overall, he was always a good QB.  He had moments where he was great. 

Dak may be more of a dinker and dump QB, but it doesn't mean he is not capable of throwing the ball for long completions.  I also remember Romo being on the team a few years prior to ever being relied on in games.

Compare Rookie Seasons:

Romo 220 of 337 with 65.3% completion rate.  42 over 20 plus yard receptions and 9 over 40 plus yards
Dak P 311 of 459 with 67.8% completion rate.  38 over 20 plus yard receptions and 8 over 40 plus yards

Clearly Romo was throwing downfield a lot more and that would equate to lower percentage type passes.  He threw less, but they used play action for big plays.  Romo also had two hall of fame receivers in that group to throw to plus two outstanding RBs that made playaction effective.  Romo had three years of preparation prior to that season.

Dak P has no receiver on the team that appear to be destined for the Hall and only one RB.  Dallas OL is average at best which is an improvement over most of last year.  Dak has no receivers stretching the field effectively and doesn't have time to find them if they do on most plays that are passing situations.  He had zero years of development in the league and ran an offense in college that is NOT a pro style offense.  I would say that he has done okay and it is still far too soon to know if he is not a good NFL QB.  I have watched too many NFL QBs flounder on poor to weak teams for years and all of a sudden they become superbowl MVP when their franchise eventually builds a team that the QB can be effective with.  There is a reason that Dallas got rid of their supposedly franchise capable WR and he hasn't been picked up by anyone.  Other than Whitten, Beasely has probably been Dallas' best WR the past two years including now.  I love Beasely, but what does that tell you about throwing options.  When Dallas gets a solid OL, another RB that teams have to defend, and a couple of WRs that line up one wide on each side and I will make an assessment on what DP can do as a QB.

hawkhawg

They should have given Romo one more year.

hawkhawg

That was close.  Big game for Zeke.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hawkhawg on September 30, 2018, 03:04:27 pm
That was close.  Big game for Zeke.

Zeke went off and It was nice to see Skipper playing for the Lions.

rzrbkman

It looks like the real Dallas Cowboys stood back up this weekend.