Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blaine Scott, 2018 OG, Ole Miss Decommit, Ark: Nada

Started by The_Iceman, April 17, 2017, 03:49:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bennyl08

Quote from: Kevin on April 17, 2017, 04:13:03 pm
Rutgers?

I was just about to post about how one of these schools is not like the others, but how is Rutgers the question inducing school there and not Duke? Rutgers isn't a powerhouse, but as far as NFL players, they are basically Bama compared to Duke.

In the past 5 years, Rutgers has produced 11 draft picks. In order to find 11 draft picks from Duke, you have to include all the way back to 1992 and even that was a supplemental draft pick.

Duke did have a guard go in the first round of the 2015 draft so that's the only reason I could guess he has that school on his list.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

tophawg19

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 17, 2017, 05:07:13 pm
I was just about to post about how one of these schools is not like the others, but how is Rutgers the question inducing school there and not Duke? Rutgers isn't a powerhouse, but as far as NFL players, they are basically Bama compared to Duke.

In the past 5 years, Rutgers has produced 11 draft picks. In order to find 11 draft picks from Duke, you have to include all the way back to 1992 and even that was a supplemental draft pick.

Duke did have a guard go in the first round of the 2015 draft so that's the only reason I could guess he has that school on his list. 
Benny do you not know the quality of an education at Duke ? There is a good chance he is looking beyond football
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The Hawg Marshal

I'm more amazed that any kid would consider Ole Miss.

ricepig

Well, if he doesn't visit between now and then, I'd say he's going somewhere else.

bennyl08

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 17, 2017, 05:19:12 pm
Benny do you not know the quality of an education at Duke ? There is a good chance he is looking beyond football

Two things. First: Quality of education is a very relative thing. For starters, you can go to most any university in the country and find a professor that is one of the top 10 experts in the world on blank. So, the quality of an education that you can get a Duke would absolutely pale in comparison the quality of education at the Sam Houston Institute of Technology if you want to be educated on said blank. Secondly, undergraduate coursework isn't that different from one place to the next. Calculus at MIT teaches the same material as calculus at at Miss St. Homeworks might be more difficult though but the material is the same. It's up to the student how much effort they want to put into the material. Graduate work is really where prestige starts to matter because that is where you move on from being told what to do to where you are literally doing things that nobody else has ever done.

Second, if I'm recruiting people, I'm wanting to know their commitment level. For example, if I'm a coach, I'd rather somebody whose lifelong dream is to play in the NFL over somebody using football as a means to an education all else being equal. Now, that is a bit hypocritical because at the same time, I'd be strongly warning kids that their odds of going to the NFL are very small they should not take their education for granted because that will do more for them in life than football.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

tophawg19

a Duke degree opens a lot of doors , Then if you're good enough , you'll make the NFL from Duke . hopefully he is a great U of A HOF guy though.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

RazorPiggie

Quote from: ricepig on April 17, 2017, 06:46:49 pm
Well, if he doesn't visit between now and then, I'd say he's going somewhere else.

Did he not visit on the 15th?

Nvm juat read RDs link.

GoHogzzGo

Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 17, 2017, 09:05:46 pm
a Duke degree opens a lot of doors , Then if you're good enough , you'll make the NFL from Duke . hopefully he is a great U of A HOF guy though.

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 17, 2017, 07:52:45 pm
Two things. First: Quality of education is a very relative thing. For starters, you can go to most any university in the country and find a professor that is one of the top 10 experts in the world on blank. So, the quality of an education that you can get a Duke would absolutely pale in comparison the quality of education at the Sam Houston Institute of Technology if you want to be educated on said blank. Secondly, undergraduate coursework isn't that different from one place to the next. Calculus at MIT teaches the same material as calculus at at Miss St. Homeworks might be more difficult though but the material is the same. It's up to the student how much effort they want to put into the material. Graduate work is really where prestige starts to matter because that is where you move on from being told what to do to where you are literally doing things that nobody else has ever done.

Second, if I'm recruiting people, I'm wanting to know their commitment level. For example, if I'm a coach, I'd rather somebody whose lifelong dream is to play in the NFL over somebody using football as a means to an education all else being equal. Now, that is a bit hypocritical because at the same time, I'd be strongly warning kids that their odds of going to the NFL are very small they should not take their education for granted because that will do more for them in life than football.

My son has a Bachelors from Arkansas and a Masters from MIT. He hires a lot of Electrical Engineers. Someone at a party I attended in his backyard asked him about where they hire from and if they hired only Ivy league and/or the "higher quality and rated" schools like MIT, Cal Tech., Etc. He said no they hire from all types and location of schools including large public, small private and foreign. It does help a candidate get an interview but that does not help them get hired by them. The thing about those "doors opening" is it all depends on the specific job, company and even industry. For example the top executives in the hotel industry are not all from Cornell but the bigger companies are the ones interviewing their graduates.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hoggish1

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on April 17, 2017, 05:38:48 pm

Hawg Mashall, You know the quality of education and cheating at Olepiss, so I agree with you 100%!  8)

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 17, 2017, 07:52:45 pm

Arkansas has 10 experts, Harvard and Duke have a 100.  Harvard business school is better than the Sam Walton school because every professor is in the top 10%, not just a handful.  I say this as a proud graduate of the Sam Walton School of Business.

bennyl08

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on April 18, 2017, 05:21:17 pm
Arkansas has 10 experts, Harvard and Duke have a 100.  Harvard business school is better than the Sam Walton school because every professor is in the top 10%, not just a handful.  I say this as a proud graduate of the Sam Walton School of Business.

Not arguing that Duke isn't a good academic school. Just that if I was interested in geology or architecture or other programs, Arkansas would rank higher on the prestige list than Duke. Considering Harvard, their undergraduate architecture program ranks about 60th while Arkansas's ranks 13th. In contrast, Harvard's graduate architecture program is #1. So an undergraduate interested in architecture would prefer Arkansas over Harvard, while a graduate student would prefer Harvard. Probably find more famous Harvard architects since graduate those who go into graduate school are going to be more into the subject matter. There often is a bit of an inverse relationship. The schools with the great research going on typically have more research oriented professors and aren't as good teaching things as somewhere else. It's a great place to go when you are ready to do research but very few undergrads ever do that.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on April 17, 2017, 05:38:48 pm

Lol. Ain't that the truth. Watching too much "Blind Side", or he wants to be a fireman in his next profession because everyone will have to pitch in to put out that blazing dumpster fire.
This is my non-signature signature.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

ArkansasI

Congratulations to Blaine for narrowing his choices down to five fine schools.  Duke, Michigan State, Arkansas, Rutgers and Ole Miss are a virtual smorgasbord of opportunity.  I've been fortunate to visit all the campuses except Rutgers.

Duke is regarded as one of America's fine private universities.  Its campus in Durham, North Carolina, is absolutely beautiful and enjoys an Ivy League feel.  Blaine might not expect to win a ton of football games as a Blue Devil, but I'm certain he would enjoy the next 4 or 5 years along tobacco road participating in rivalry games against North Carolina, Virginia and other ACC schools.  He'd most certainly enjoy the challenge of playing against last year's national champion, Clemson, and perennial power Florida State.

Michigan State's campus in East Lansing is sprawling.  I found it to be as green as the school colors and surprisingly rural.  It may get cold in the winter, but Blaine is from Ohio... so he's probably not concerned about snow.  At MSU, Blaine would get particularly fired up to play rival Michigan, against whom the Spartans have enjoyed much success under the current coaching staff. 

Rutgers is the state university of New Jersey.  It is a new member of the Big 10 conference and, regrettably, enjoys a 2-0 record against my Hogs.  I considered making the trip to New Brunswick to watch the Hogs and Scarlet Knights play, and viewed several pictures of the campus online before realizing I had a conflict and couldn't make the game.  Rutgers looked very nice online.  And I'd imagine New Jersey doesn't sound too foreign to Blaine - it is one of the original 13 colonies of the United States... Rutgers is the eighth-oldest college in the United States and is one of nine colonial colleges.  While the football Scarlet Knights appear to be skidding a bit now, Blaine may see the chance to help return the program to the success enjoyed during the tenure of Greg Schiano.

Ole Miss seems wildly popular these days, and may be considered a destination school for students seeking a distinctly "southern" experience.  The campus is comfortably quaint, and Oxford is routinely listed as a popular town for authors, foodies and beautiful co-eds.  Ole Miss has had great success against Alabama recently, and they are putting a lot of football players in the NFL.

I'm happy knowing that the University of Arkansas can and does compete favorably with all of the schools on Blaine's final list.  Blaine has a difficult decision to make and I hope he sees Fayetteville as the perfect mix of the other four universities.  By choosing to be a Razorback, Blaine will enjoy 4-5 years in one of America's best places to live.  The economy in Northwest Arkansas is thriving, and I have no doubt that Blaine will get a great education.

navyhog24

If he doesn't visit next week, I'd assume he's not coming

Richard Davenport

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 19, 2017, 02:53:37 pm
If he doesn't visit next week, I'd assume he's not coming

Unless something changes, he won't visit before May 5.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Richard Davenport on April 19, 2017, 03:09:45 pm
Unless something changes, he won't visit before May 5.

That's typically not a good sign.  Too bad

HappyFan

If you think about it, he is making his decision on May 5th (5-5), he has chosen 5 teams as his finalist, and our logo is the 5th one left to right top to bottom.  He is choosing us.

COINCIDENCE, I THINK NOT!!!

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: HappyFan on April 20, 2017, 07:19:45 am
If you think about it, he is making his decision on May 5th (5-5), he has chosen 5 teams as his finalist, and our logo is the 5th one left to right top to bottom.  He is choosing us.

COINCIDENCE, I THINK NOT!!!

I like the way you think happyfan! That is some high quality fact connecting, well played.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Next1_04

Any new news on this guy? Announcing Friday.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Next1_04 on May 03, 2017, 03:37:30 pm
Any new news on this guy? Announcing Friday.
Uhh.....announcing Friday ;)

RzRbAcK18

How is Ole Miss in the top 5 of almost every elite player? Blows my mind. Other than $$$ what do they offer that we can't? We play in the same league, they aren't winning SEC/National Championships, I would bet our facilities are better, I just cant figure it out.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: RzRbAcK18 on May 03, 2017, 05:49:34 pm
How is Ole Miss in the top 5 of almost every elite player? Blows my mind. Other than $$$ what do they offer that we can't? We play in the same league, they aren't winning SEC/National Championships, I would bet our facilities are better, I just cant figure it out.

Girls drinking in skimpy sun-dresses ogling over young strong college football players in one of college football's fun environments...who gives a dang about reputation.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

bennyl08

Quote from: tusksincolorado on May 03, 2017, 08:56:04 pm
Girls drinking in skimpy sun-dresses ogling over young strong college football players in one of college football's fun environments...who gives a dang about reputation.

You just described every college campus with a football team.

Piggfoot

I've been told that UofA has some beautiful women. But Alabama, Ole Miss, La, Georgia, and Florida have many more. While on that subject. ATM used to have no women but now they have many more.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

NoogaHog

Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

SouthTulsaHog

Heavily trending to Ole Miss per 247 crystal balls. Wouldnt get your hopes up.

HossHog

According to a periscope video on Twitter he committed to Ole Piss

navyhog24

PorkRinds

How the heck does anyone worth a damn want to play for ole miss right now? Maybe planning on redshirting so doesn't care much about the bowl ban?

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 05, 2017, 05:42:27 pm
How the heck does anyone worth a damn want to play for ole miss right now? Maybe planning on redshirting so doesn't care much about the bowl ban?

Well, they have beaten Bama in recent years while also being a miracle away from playing the SEC champ game.

A player still gets to play for an underdog team, but one that has beaten the big dog in town. The recruit probably wouldn't be expecting the sanctions to have a big impact and then they get to be part of the rebuilding.

outlawhogeywells

Well they are selling the self imposed sanctions and not talking about how much more the NCAA will add on to that. 
I say keep recruiting him and get him in town for a visit.

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

mhuff

Nothing Ole Mi$& does puzzles me. Anxious to  see if NCAA is going to be a joke again

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: mhuff on May 09, 2017, 03:11:59 pm
Nothing Ole Mi$& does puzzles me. Anxious to  see if NCAA is going to be a joke again
Past dealing with the NCAA says they will be,
Just ask Miami or UNC and how that is not happening or even the Louisville stuff. 

jgphillips3

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on May 08, 2017, 10:19:16 am
Well they are selling the self imposed sanctions and not talking about how much more the NCAA will add on to that. 
I say keep recruiting him and get him in town for a visit.

This.

Hogs49ers

Why the heck did this guy commit to Ole Piss?  Surely some of their recruits will start rethinking their decision at this point, however they do not really have any highly sought after recruits committed at the moment and Blaine is one of the highest rated committed players they have.
SCREW Vandy!

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hogs49ers on July 13, 2017, 02:50:58 pm
Why the heck did this guy commit to Ole Piss?  Surely some of their recruits will start rethinking their decision at this point, however they do not really have any highly sought after recruits committed at the moment and Blaine is one of the highest rated committed players they have.

I'd pass on the kid just because he did commit to OM. 

outlawhogeywells

If we wanted him before you take him now. OL is always a position of need

Next1_04

Update: Has dropped his commitment to Ole Miss  ;D

Per Saturday Down South

Richard Davenport

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Next1_04 on July 31, 2017, 09:23:07 am
Update: Has dropped his commitment to Ole Miss  ;D

Per Saturday Down South

I'm shocked.

Richard Davenport

FWIW, nothing will happen with Blaine and Arkansas.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Richard Davenport on July 31, 2017, 09:29:40 am
FWIW, nothing will happen with Blaine and Arkansas.

That doesnt surprise me.  And I think I support that

litmachog

I see Scott decommitted from Ole Miss.  any chance we can get back in the picture?

Next1_04

I posted this earlier and it got removed, must be a touchy subject? ???