Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UALR football?

Started by Ironhawg, April 12, 2017, 08:27:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

factchecker

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 12, 2017, 06:06:56 pm
And there are some that are both.

Don't let the diehard red pup fans know about those.  They hate the "fans of both".  Ask Freddie Knighten about how they treated him after rooting for the Hogs during the Texas Bowl.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: factchecker on April 12, 2017, 06:15:24 pm
Don't let the diehard red pup fans know about those.  They hate the "fans of both".  Ask Freddie Knighten about how they treated him after rooting for the Hogs during the Texas Bowl.

Of course. But there are some Hog fans that hate them and the diehard pup fans as well. I haver no problem with pup fans as long as they don't dog the Hogs. Pardon the pun.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

factchecker

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 12, 2017, 02:29:32 pm
The Political climate is better for this kind of change.  I would love to see Trojan Football.

Aren't you the most anti-Razorback spending person on this board.  Didn't you oppose the stadium expansion?

Why are you ok with UALR stealing money from students and taking millions in subsidies but against the Razorbacks spending their own self-sufficient money?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

bphi11ips

Quote from: factchecker on April 12, 2017, 06:05:43 pm

THE RAZORBACKS PAY WMS TO PLAY THERE!!!!!! We pay a fee to play at War Memorial Stadium.  Which is [CENSORED] stupid.  If anything the Razorbacks should be paid to play in Little Rock.

Who collects ticket revenue from Little Rock games?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

factchecker

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 12, 2017, 06:51:15 pm
Who collects ticket revenue from Little Rock games?

The Razorbacks should get all the money.  IF it's a "home" game then give Razorbacks control and don't charge them a fee.  Let us pay for the operating expenses.  Let us bring down our own staff, security, concessions etc.  WMS takes enough money from the tax payers.  Why does it need any more from the Razorbacks?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

This brings up another good point.  Why are fans of WMS fine with taking tax money to keep their stadium running but pissed when the self-sufficient Razorbacks expand/improve our stadium?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

bphi11ips

Quote from: factchecker on April 12, 2017, 06:54:09 pm
The Razorbacks should get all the money.  IF it's a "home" game then give Razorbacks control and don't charge them a fee.  Let us pay for the operating expenses.  Let us bring down our own staff, security, concessions etc.  WMS takes enough money from the tax payers.  Why does it need any more from the Razorbacks?

How would you define "operating expenses" in the lease?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

factchecker

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 12, 2017, 07:40:37 pm
How would you define "operating expenses" in the lease?

Give us control the week of the game.  The Razorbacks can pay for the electricity, security, ushers etc. when we play our "home" games in WMS.  It would be nice to have ushers who do their job and direct people to the right area.  We need to have control of concessions as well.  Nothing better than the concession stands running out of cold drinks and bottle water by halftime when it's 100 degrees.

Regardless, when we move out and when (IF) UALR moves in they better be charged the $75,000 per game fee that we were.

Funny enough, some of the UALR people want to build their own stadium.  They don't want to play in WMS either.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Atlhogfan1

Not enough money for ualr to start football

Central Ark has a crap history of supporting anything not Razorback with exception of the Travs. 

LR is a lost cause for high school football compared to most of the rest of the southern cities.

Focus on basketball and invest in it. Could be great branding opportunity.

Have ASU, UCA and UAPB play a game in WMS each season. Bring in monster trucks and a big summer concert or two.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: factchecker on April 12, 2017, 06:47:50 pm
Aren't you the most anti-Razorback spending person on this board.  Didn't you oppose the stadium expansion?

Why are you ok with UALR stealing money from students and taking millions in subsidies but against the Razorbacks spending their own self-sufficient money?

Check your facts I very pro Hogs I just want the prices to be cheap enough for more people to go.  I care nothing about them expanding the stadium on the Hill. UALR had Football until the merger and Frank threw around his weight and made them kill the program before joining the UA system.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

GolfNut57

Quote from: NWAHog479 on April 12, 2017, 09:17:47 am
They fill the Stephens Center 1 time a year when Arkansas State brings their entire redneck fanbase to watch the basketball games, how are they going to fill War Memorial? Little Rock couldn't even sell out a few years ago when the Hogs played Georgia there...

Now that is funny right there. Saying StAte's entire fan base is redneck is hilarious when you consider there are thousands upon thousands of hog "fans" that are only so because they bought a T-shirt at the local Walmart. And I guess you are also saying that Mike Beebe, the former Gov is also a redneck? And btw, considering that ASU averages 22-23K or so for home football games in Jonesboro it is also stupid on your part to imply that the 1500 or so that travel to Little Rock for the basketball game vs UALR is their "entire" fan base.

Now as to the original post about UALR football.......I was under the impression that UALR had an agreement with Fayetteville once they entered the UA system that they could not have football for a X number of years and though I don't remember the exact number it is a LONG ways from expiring. But even if they do it is laughable that anyone would think they would get P5 schools to come to Little Rock to play them right off the bat. They would likely start out as a FCS school and P5 programs do NOT travel to play FCS schools. Especially those that are just starting up a football program.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

Quote from: tusked on April 12, 2017, 01:20:00 pm
It would be awesome.  After everyone is drunk on the golf course you can have gun fights for condoms before heading into the stadium.

hahahaha....as if UALR football would have so many fans that parking on the golf course would be needed.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 13, 2017, 12:49:10 pm
Now that is funny right there. Saying StAte's entire fan base is redneck is hilarious when you consider there are thousands upon thousands of hog "fans" that are only so because they bought a T-shirt at the local Walmart. And I guess you are also saying that Mike Beebe, the former Gov is also a redneck? And btw, considering that ASU averages 22-23K or so for home football games in Jonesboro it is also stupid on your part to imply that the 1500 or so that travel to Little Rock for the basketball game vs UALR is their "entire" fan base.

Now as to the original post about UALR football.......I was under the impression that UALR had an agreement with Fayetteville once they entered the UA system that they could not have football for a X number of years and though I don't remember the exact number it is a LONG ways from expiring. But even if they do it is laughable that anyone would think they would get P5 schools to come to Little Rock to play them right off the bat. They would likely start out as a FCS school and P5 programs do NOT travel to play FCS schools. Especially those that are just starting up a football program.

Lol, I guess every ASU fan was a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of the school? I would imagine, % wise, about as many ASU fans didn't attend school there, there's just a lot fewer ASU fans. As to the "redneck" part, I would imagine former Gov. Beebe would fall in the category, just like the rest of us in Arkansas.

As to getting P5's to visit, that's a laugher for sure.

GolfNut57

April 13, 2017, 01:08:37 pm #63 Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 10:44:48 am by GolfNut57
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 12, 2017, 07:59:58 pm
Not enough money for ualr to start football

Central Ark has a crap history of supporting anything not Razorback with exception of the Travs. 

LR is a lost cause for high school football compared to most of the rest of the southern cities.

Focus on basketball and invest in it. Could be great branding opportunity.

Have ASU, UCA and UAPB play a game in WMS each season. Bring in monster trucks and a big summer concert or two.

No way will ASU travel to Little Rock to play either of the FCS schools in UAPB or UCA. ASU doesn't travel to play FCS schools! And for that matter ASU has no real interest in going to WMS to play anyone else. They got very little fan support in the past, even when playing OSU there and certainly aren't going to pay the travel expenses required or the rental on the place when they can stay in Jonesboro and save money.

DeltaBoy

Well we will see if it comes True. But while I wanted it to happen I just don't believe the Money is there to pull it off.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Inhogswetrust

April 13, 2017, 03:42:02 pm #65 Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 04:49:13 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 13, 2017, 09:23:28 am

Check your facts I very pro Hogs I just want the prices to be cheap enough for more people to go.  I care nothing about them expanding the stadium on the Hill. UALR had Football until the merger and Frank threw around his weight and made them kill the program before joining the UA system.

Wrong. Speaking of checking facts, you need to check your facts.  UALR last fielded a football team in 1955. That was a few years BEFORE Frank came to Fayetteville. The merger didn't even happen until 1969. Frank might have said he had no problem with them joining the system as long as they didn't RESTART football. Frank had nothing to do with them not playing football since that already didn't when he got here. Even IF he had done that they still needed to join the system. Joining the system has helped them immeasurably and it had nothing to do with athletics.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ImHogginIt

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 13, 2017, 03:28:02 pm
Well we will see if it comes True. But while I wanted it to happen I just don't believe the Money is there to pull it off.

So you want tickets to be cheap so folks can attend but you just don't think there will be enough money to run a DI program.  What color is the sky in your world ?  ;D

Seminole Indian

Just based on reading post here and other places it appears that  most people think  football at UALR is a long shot at best.

It does appear that there will continue to be some economic incentives for the G5's to reconfigure, especially CUSA, and that could be a "catalyst" for it to happen, or not to happen.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 13, 2017, 01:08:37 pm
No way will ASU travel to Little Rock to play either of the FCS schools in UAPB or UCA. ASU doesn't travel to play FCS schools! And for that matter ASU has no real interest in going to WMS to play anyone else for that matter. They got very little fan support in the past, even when playing OSU there and certainly aren't going to pay the travel expenses required or the rental on the place when they cn stay in Jonesboro and save money.

I wasn't saying they play each other. 

WMS gets tax dollars off of a % of the attendees to events.  They will need events. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 13, 2017, 03:42:02 pm
Wrong. Speaking of checking facts, you need to check your facts.  UALR last fielded a football team in 1955. That was a few years BEFORE Frank came to Fayetteville. The merger didn't even happen until 1969. Frank might have said he had no problem with them joining the system as long as they didn't RESTART football. Frank had nothing to do with them not playing football since that already didn't when he got here. Even IF he had done that they still needed to join the system. Joining the system has helped them immeasurably and it had nothing to do with athletics.

Yes cause it cost too much money.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 14, 2017, 09:59:04 pm
Yes cause it cost too much money.

They needed the system for other things AND the money it provided for the school, not athletics.

Ben

I believe in them. I hope they can get their program going. There is so much talent in the central Arkansas that they can pull in some good players. Not to mention those who would rather be in a city setting than in a country setting like 99% of the state
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Seminole Indian

May 01, 2017, 07:11:29 am #72 Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 09:43:09 am by Seminole Indian
I've always associated basketball with cities , football with smaller towns. 

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 13, 2017, 03:42:02 pm

When they entered into the Merger some LR business people wanted UA to help fund a restart and UALR would have been in the AIC with UCA and UAM etc.  Frank said HELL NO to in college Football in LR except the Hogs. Per James T. "Jimmy" Karam who ran a mens store in Little Rock and was still around when we asked for football back in the 1980's

DeltaBoy