Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hudson Henry now a 5* composite and Treylon Burks bumped down to a high 4* - 247

Started by theshiva, April 10, 2017, 02:13:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

theshiva

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

trphog

PlanoHog

Gunnell is not coming here. Feel pretty certain he will commit by end of June. I think it's FSU then TAM. Lots of drama in college station. QB situation there is a mess according to a couple players parents. There are 3 other schools trying to get into the mix.
The entertainer formerly known as TheOtherWhiteMeat.

RebelW

Treylon Burks I believe will make his way back up to being a 5 star

Supermark101

Quote from: trphog on April 10, 2017, 09:50:09 pm
A 5* tight end? That's pretty rare right?

I'd imagine it's pretty rare, but having TWO so close to Fayetteville is once in a lifetime.

CBB isn't going anywhere until his buyout is lowered right before this class signs, after the 2018 season. Say he winsaid 6 or 7 wins in the next two years, but puts together a top 10 class for 2019, do you keep him, or do you let him go and risk the class falling apart?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: PlanoHog on April 10, 2017, 10:17:45 pm
Gunnell is not coming here. Feel pretty certain he will commit by end of June. I think it's FSU then TAM. Lots of drama in college station. QB situation there is a mess according to a couple players parents. There are 3 other schools trying to get into the mix.

Plano, is this a guess or do you have some info that you can share?  I thought we had a pretty good shot at this kid with all the legacy...

Hoggish1

Quote from: Supermark101 on April 11, 2017, 05:12:45 am
I'd imagine it's pretty rare, but having TWO so close to Fayetteville is once in a lifetime.

CBB isn't going anywhere until his buyout is lowered right before this class signs, after the 2018 season. Say he winsaid 6 or 7 wins in the next two years, but puts together a top 10 class for 2019, do you keep him, or do you let him go and risk the class falling apart?

?  LMAO

scooby21322

ricepig

Quote from: PlanoHog on April 10, 2017, 10:17:45 pm

Not according to the guru's, but we shall see.

311Hog

man that is a really good start.  It could work out to one of the best classes on paper the Hogs have ever signed.

bennyl08

Quote from: scooby21322 on April 11, 2017, 09:41:30 am
42 five-stars?  Aren't there usually about 8?

Depends on the year, depends on the service. Some will say the top 25 in any year will be a 5*, the next 100 will be 4*, etc... Others will say that anybody who meets this threshold will be a 5*, anybody between that threshold is a 4*etc...

247 appears to use the threshold score to determine stars. In 2016, there were only 25, '17 there were 33, and currently for 2019, there are 42.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

theshiva

Also Luke Ford bumped up to a 4 star. All of our commits in 2018 class are now 4 stars. Matching our total number of 4 stars in the 2017 class.

bennyl08

Quote from: theshiva on April 11, 2017, 10:25:20 am
Also Luke Ford bumped up to a 4 star. All of our commits in 2018 class are now 4 stars. Matching our total number of 4 stars in the 2017 class.

We have 10 commitments already for 2018?
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

PorkSoda

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 11, 2017, 10:24:13 am
currently for 2019, there are 42.
frick, those guys are what, sophmores in high school?  how can there be 42 sophomores that are 5 stars?  seems like they are using quite a bit of speculation.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 11, 2017, 05:13:51 pm
frick, those guys are what, sophmores in high school?  how can there be 42 sophomores that are 5 stars?  seems like they are using quite a bit of speculation.

It's be interesting to see how that usually changes over time. For the class that had 25, did it start with 30? 20? 50?

I'd have to guess that the number would go down in time as they might be looking at sophomore tape and projecting improvement to the players. Or maybe just 2019 is that special of a recruiting class.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

PlanoHog

Getting Chevin was important in the possibility of Brian signing as well. Rawleigh will be gone to the NFL by the time Brian would be arriving. Chevin and Brian worked very well together in the defensive backfield. CC is as close to a shutdown CB as I've seen in a while plus he supports all over the field getting in on tackles that are away from his side. Hopefully, that translates itself to the collegiate level.
The entertainer formerly known as TheOtherWhiteMeat.

#1 STUNNA

What hurts Treylon is the fact that he isnt really into going to any of the camps. He is definitely a very low key kid.

factchecker

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on April 12, 2017, 04:39:13 pm
What hurts Treylon is the fact that he isnt really into going to any of the camps. He is definitely a very low key kid.

Which is stupid.  A kid shouldn't have to go to camps to get recognized.  Anybody with an ounce of football IQ can come watch Treylon play or just pop on his highlight tape and see he is 5 star worthy.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

RazorPiggie

Quote from: factchecker on April 12, 2017, 07:12:41 pm
Which is stupid.  A kid shouldn't have to go to camps to get recognized.  Anybody with an ounce of football IQ can come watch Treylon play or just pop on his highlight tape and see he is 5 star worthy.

No at camps you go against guys that are around the same skill level as you.  Therefore people can tell just how good you really are. There are lots of kids every year that put together stellar seasons and highlights. Its winning against the best of the best that separates you. If he doesn't camp anywhere he'll more than likely continue to drop.

I hope we get the kid but if he wants to get that elusive 5* next to his name he netter start putting himself out there.

#1 STUNNA

Thats the thing... He doesnt seem to care abt stuff like that.. He seems to just wanna go to school like an average kid and enjoy his time... Who ever gets his commitment in a couple years will definitely be lucky.

ricepig

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on April 13, 2017, 09:45:48 am
Thats the thing... He doesnt seem to care abt stuff like that.. He seems to just wanna go to school like an average kid and enjoy his time... Who ever gets his commitment in a couple years will definitely be lucky.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that attitude. An extra star won't make him bigger, faster, or stronger.

bulldog04

Quote from: RazorPiggie on April 12, 2017, 09:23:38 pm
No at camps you go against guys that are around the same skill level as you.  Therefore people can tell just how good you really are. There are lots of kids every year that put together stellar seasons and highlights. Its winning against the best of the best that separates you. If he doesn't camp anywhere he'll more than likely continue to drop.

I hope we get the kid but if he wants to get that elusive 5* next to his name he netter start putting himself out there.
That's why Cantrell wasn't a  4 star.  He played sports year around and got his UofA offer and didn't want to do camps

hvsupastar

"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

hawgmasta

Youngsta71701

Are they playing actual football games being played at these camps? There are a lot of workout warriors out there that are horrible football players.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Burks has to weigh more than 180 pounds. He looked like a TE playing WR in the state championship game.

theshiva

That's how Sosa got his 5th star. He was one of the finalist on the one-on-one drills at an Under Armor camp I believe.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 13, 2017, 01:09:36 pm
Burks has to weigh more than 180 pounds. He looked like a TE playing WR in the state championship game.

yes he weighs over 200 lbs

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 13, 2017, 01:02:00 pm
Are they playing actual football games being played at these camps? There are a lot of workout warriors out there that are horrible football players.

No but they usually have one on one drills among other things.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: RazorPiggie on April 13, 2017, 02:48:14 pm
No but they usually have one on one drills among other things.
True, I guess if you want to test your skills against the best and compare that's the way to go. Although I do think camps can be overrated just like the NFL combine. But they are indeed good if you want or need exposure.

Youngsta71701

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 13, 2017, 04:07:30 pm
Kid looks special. Another Warren WR production.

He might already be better than the others when they were seniors.. besides Smith

bennyl08

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 13, 2017, 01:02:00 pm

Depends on what you mean by "actual football games" and "workout warriors."

Don't think they play full 60 minute regulation games with referees and an audience. To me, a workout warrior is somebody who can run fast in a straight line and/or lift a lot of weight in a gym, but struggles to perform actual football maneuvers in a football environment.

Camps, from the reports that I've read, have students go through football drills and the such. A WR isn't going to just run the forty, they are going to be asked to run a route tree, asked to go against the best cb's in press man coverage, asked to run catching gauntlets, etc...

There are things like the nike/sparq combine which tests things like the forty and 3cone times but that's names as a combine and not a camp.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 13, 2017, 05:33:32 pm
Depends on what you mean by "actual football games" and "workout warriors."

Don't think they play full 60 minute regulation games with referees and an audience. To me, a workout warrior is somebody who can run fast in a straight line and/or lift a lot of weight in a gym, but struggles to perform actual football maneuvers in a football environment.

Camps, from the reports that I've read, have students go through football drills and the such. A WR isn't going to just run the forty, they are going to be asked to run a route tree, asked to go against the best cb's in press man coverage, asked to run catching gauntlets, etc...

There are things like the nike/sparq combine which tests things like the forty and 3cone times but that's names as a combine and not a camp.

People are teaching the drills just like schools teach standardized tests instead of subjects.

So workout warriors can do more than straight line and displays of strength these days. Altee Tenpenny is a prime example of a guy who made his reputation and recruiting rankings at combines, not camps.

bennyl08

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 15, 2017, 09:38:53 am
People are teaching the drills just like schools teach standardized tests instead of subjects.

So workout warriors can do more than straight line and displays of strength these days. Altee Tenpenny is a prime example of a guy who made his reputation and recruiting rankings at combines, not camps.

Altee made his reputation on the field of play, and then bolstered it at combines and camps.

Also, if you can perform well in the drills, you'll be able to perform well in games. An OL player is having to actually block a DL person 1 on 1 in drills. Standardized tests would be the equivalent of determining blocking ability from the bench press. Now, say a person has never played a game and only done drills, they could be limited as far as mental parts of the game go. I.e. in 1v1 blocking, you know who to block. In a game, you might not know. However, if I'm looking for an OL player, and I have one guy who 1v1 can block the best DE's in the country but I have no idea how well he will react to knowing who to block and I have another player who was 295 in HS where the biggest and fastest DE he had to block was 6'1 225 and ran a 5.8 forty and knew who to block but I had no way of knowing how fast or strong the kid actually was, I'd go for the camp player. Teaching the mental part of the game is going to be easier than making a player more athletic.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Hmmm.... Does the star really matter then.????
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

#1 STUNNA

Treylon is a 5* talent and will be the best receiver to come out of Arkansas in a long time as long as he stays healthy.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

bennyl08

Who was the qb in Burk's Sophomore highlight vid? That kid was throwing the ball 20-30 yards down field on a rope.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 05, 2017, 01:02:40 pm
Who was the qb in Burk's Sophomore highlight vid? That kid was throwing the ball 20-30 yards down field on a rope.

Hayden Lassiter... Signed to play at Ouchita Baptist.... very good football player

bennyl08