Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disbelief at the LPGA

Started by GolfNut57, April 02, 2017, 10:10:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 04, 2017, 07:37:26 pm
I agree the PGA has the money, wonder if the LPGA does.....and then of course, would they be willing to spend it.

Often times most of the people working the tournaments are volunteers.Not sure if the rules officials that walk the course are, all volunteers, but I have heard them referred to as volunteers on many broadcasts over the years.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on April 05, 2017, 08:41:41 am
Often times most of the people working the tournaments are volunteers.Not sure if the rules officials that walk the course are, all volunteers, but I have heard them referred to as volunteers on many broadcasts over the years.

Several years ago I volunteered at the St. Jude tournament over here in Memphis.  One of my football official buddies is on the tournament's planning staff and he got me involved.  I got to run the "shot link" laser beside one of the greens.  It was a lot of fun, but it wasn't easy.  We had to go through a half day of training on how to operate it and then we had to come before our shift to observe someone else doing it during the tournament action.  We didn't get paid, but we did get free admission to the tournament for that day and we also got to eat for free in the hospitality tent (Germantown Commissary BBQ).  One thing that made an impression on me was how many volunteers it takes to put on a tournament, everything from the shot link workers to van drivers to trash picker-uppers.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hogsanity

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 05, 2017, 08:58:53 am
Several years ago I volunteered at the St. Jude tournament over here in Memphis.  One of my football official buddies is on the tournament's planning staff and he got me involved.  I got to run the "shot link" laser beside one of the greens.  It was a lot of fun, but it wasn't easy.  We had to go through a half day of training on how to operate it and then we had to come before our shift to observe someone else doing it during the tournament action.  We didn't get paid, but we did get free admission to the tournament for that day and we also got to eat for free in the hospitality tent (Germantown Commissary BBQ).  One thing that made an impression on me was how many volunteers it takes to put on a tournament, everything from the shot link workers to van drivers to trash picker-uppers.

It is crazy. When we had the Nike ( then whatever it was after that ) event here in FS the # of volunteers it took was nuts, so I can't imagine what a PGA or LPGA event takes.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

She got screwed over for sure.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 05, 2017, 08:58:53 am

So that's why you plug them.....

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on April 05, 2017, 10:11:51 am
So that's why you plug them.....

I'll plug anything that's meaty, saucy and free.

(and yes, you can take that any way you want)   ;)
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 05, 2017, 12:16:13 pm
Another sig line candidate...

DeltaBoy is the treasure trove of sig lines. 

ricepig can only aspire to his wisdom.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 05, 2017, 12:31:43 pm
DeltaBoy is the treasure trove of sig lines. 

ricepig can only aspire to his wisdom.

I only perspire when I breathe.....

HognitiveDissonance

The rules should be...if a playing competitor or rules official do not notice a violation with the naked eye, then play on. Those people are there to protect the field.
Think about it. Think of all the times a 'violation' occurred and the player actually gained an advantage. It's never happened. We're talking a ball subtly moving on the green...or a grain of sand was touched by someone's club in a bunker...or a ball was not marked on the exact blade of grass it was on.

THE PLAYER WAS STILL FACED WITH THE SAME DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY with their next shot. That's the whole deal...cheating is gaining an advantage. In all of these cases, no advantage was gained, yet golf is allowing these minute, petty violations to be called, some of which are only visible via HDTV.

Cheating is pulling a ball out of a bunker to hit your next shot. Advantage gained.
Cheating is using your ball retriever to fetch from the water then hit next shot. Advantage gained.
Cheating is using a foot wedge to kick ball over a foot to obtain a clear line of sight from the trees, rather than remain behind a tree and be stymied. Advantage gained.

None of the controversial situations that have come up in the last few years resulted in a player gaining an advantage on the field.

Let common sense prevail. When assessing possible penalty, officials should use the guiding principle: was an advantage gained?

Dr. Starcs

I called the NCAA headquarters today to complain about that Joel Berry no call.

hogsanity

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on April 05, 2017, 04:22:34 pm
The rules should be...if a playing competitor or rules official do not notice a violation with the naked eye, then play on. Those people are there to protect the field.
Think about it. Think of all the times a 'violation' occurred and the player actually gained an advantage. It's never happened. We're talking a ball subtly moving on the green...or a grain of sand was touched by someone's club in a bunker...or a ball was not marked on the exact blade of grass it was on.

THE PLAYER WAS STILL FACED WITH THE SAME DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY with their next shot. That's the whole deal...cheating is gaining an advantage. In all of these cases, no advantage was gained, yet golf is allowing these minute, petty violations to be called, some of which are only visible via HDTV.

Cheating is pulling a ball out of a bunker to hit your next shot. Advantage gained.
Cheating is using your ball retriever to fetch from the water then hit next shot. Advantage gained.
Cheating is using a foot wedge to kick ball over a foot to obtain a clear line of sight from the trees, rather than remain behind a tree and be stymied. Advantage gained.

None of the controversial situations that have come up in the last few years resulted in a player gaining an advantage on the field.

Let common sense prevail. When assessing possible penalty, officials should use the guiding principle: was an advantage gained?

Actually, using a loose mark can gain an advantage by taking a spike mark or old pitch mark or other indentation out of your line. That's why it is a violation.

hobhog

So can I find an error in last years Masters and get Willett disqualified?

Once a score is posted by officials it should stand. Lexi may have played differently had she known she was 4 shots worse than believed. Compete BS.

clutch

I think it's pretty simple to solve. Just don't let viewers call in and report violations. Problem solved.

onebadrubi

Quote from: clutch on April 10, 2017, 01:28:42 pm
I think it's pretty simple to solve. Just don't let viewers call in and report violations. Problem solved.

Either this or once a score card is accepted by the PGA they can't make changes either. 

Jackrabbit Hog

There were actually call ins about Sergio's drop on 13 yesterday.  Nantz referenced them when Sergio and Rose were on either the 16th or 17th hole.  You could almost hear the "oh crap" in Nantz's voice when he revealed it.  But they showed the ball in super slow-mo and it showed pretty clearly that as Sergio was removing loose impediments around his ball (mainly pine needles), the ball rose slightly then sat back down.  Net result was no movement.  Nantz said the Masters officials had already reviewed it and ruled no violation.  Thank goodness; otherwise this would have been every bit as big an outrage as the Lexi situation, if not more.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 10, 2017, 01:59:00 pm
There were actually call ins about Sergio's drop on 13 yesterday.  Nantz referenced them when Sergio and Rose were on either the 16th or 17th hole.  You could almost hear the "oh crap" in Nantz's voice when he revealed it.  But they showed the ball in super slow-mo and it showed pretty clearly that as Sergio was removing loose impediments around his ball (mainly pine needles), the ball rose slightly then sat back down.  Net result was no movement.  Nantz said the Masters officials had already reviewed it and ruled no violation.  Thank goodness; otherwise this would have been every bit as big an outrage as the Lexi situation, if not more.

I would say it would be even bigger because this is the MASTERS! The most prestigious golf tourney ever.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Pigsknuckles

April 11, 2017, 01:47:28 pm #66 Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:57:53 pm by Pigsknuckles
I remember Michelle Wie being DQ'd a several years ago when a journalist went out on the course following the final days round and tried to re-create a drop Michelle had taken the day before. He determined, and proved to satisfaction of the officials that her drop actually ended up closer to the hole. She was assessed a 2 stroke penalty, post tournament, for an improper drop, and DQ'd for signing an incorrect scorecard.
http://www.espn.com/golf/news/story?id=2193534
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hogsanity on April 06, 2017, 01:03:35 pm
Actually, using a loose mark can gain an advantage by taking a spike mark or old pitch mark or other indentation out of your line. That's why it is a violation.
You're right about that.
The new rules attempt to take care of that. It allows the player to tamp down any mark on the green that bothers them. If allowed to happen, then there is no advantage to ever use a 'cheating' ball mark by moving the ball an inch right or left. Just flatten the spike marks and what not, and you're good. Of course, a player could always get really careless and place the ball several inches closer to the hole, and if it's obvious enough, a penalty may still be warranted.

I saw some mention of Sergio's ball possibly moving in the pine straw on #13 Sunday after his unplayable like drop. I doubt that it did, but to me it's ridiculous. Who care if it did, under my 'rules' he still had the same shot upcoming---still had to punch it out to the fairway...it's still laying on pine straw...he still has a blockage to the green. This is where common sense needs to rule and who cares if the ball slightly moved or oscillated.

GolfNut57

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on April 11, 2017, 04:30:25 pm

I saw some mention of Sergio's ball possibly moving in the pine straw on #13 Sunday after his unplayable like drop. I doubt that it did, but to me it's ridiculous. Who care if it did, under my 'rules' he still had the same shot upcoming---still had to punch it out to the fairway...it's still laying on pine straw...he still has a blockage to the green. This is where common sense needs to rule and who cares if the ball slightly moved or oscillated.

Oh it moved alright. Just barely but it really just oscillated and then sat back down where it was to start with. Which is within the rules.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.