Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Farmers Insurance Open

Started by Jackrabbit Hog, January 24, 2017, 03:36:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit Hog

Tiger's first tournament in about 47 years.  Paired with DJ and Jason Day the first two days (yikes!).  Phil's in the field as well.

Who ya got?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 24, 2017, 03:36:51 pm
Tiger's first tournament in about 47 years.  Paired with DJ and Jason Day the first two days (yikes!).  Phil's in the field as well.

Who ya got?

is Justin Thomas in it?
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Hawg414

Who ya got?

Tiger Woods

cosmodrum

Who ya got?

Sunday final pairing of Eldrick and your boy Garrigus
Go away, batin'

East TN HAWG

Who ya got?
Schneiderjans. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: cosmodrum on January 24, 2017, 05:37:08 pm
Sunday final pairing of Eldrick and your boy Garrigus

He's not quite ready for that level yet.

Tiger, that is..
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Jackrabbit Hog

El Tigre tees off Thursday afternoon.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Boog41

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 24, 2017, 05:33:25 pm
is Justin Thomas in it?

Funny Boar, I thought the exact same thing. I had to google him to find out he is off till the Waste Mgmt. He looks salty so far. Can you believe he only weighs 145?

EastexHawg

My prediction is that Woods will be thrashed and humiliated by his playing partners.  He won't admit it, but he will realize they are younger, stronger, and better than he is.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 24, 2017, 09:21:26 pm
My prediction is that Woods will be thrashed and humiliated by his playing partners.  He won't admit it, but he will realize they are younger, stronger, and better than he is.

Good prediction.  Add to that Tiger's has a bad back, and he will never be the same health wise. 

ricepig

Hawgndaaz

any way to watch online for free?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on January 26, 2017, 01:14:33 pm
any way to watch online for free?

I don't know.  I tried to log onto golfchannel's streaming but even though I get golf channel through my xfinity service, when I click it it says it's outside my subscription.  Which is wrong, but I guess it is what it is.  So I've got it on the TV in another room.

Tiger's actually playing decent.  He's +1 through 6 or 7 holes on the south course. 

ricepig

I think Tiger is in it from their coverage......

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2017, 03:17:51 pm
I think Tiger is in it from their coverage......

Yeah, I think so.  I just watched the threesome of Tiger, DJ and Jason Day get to the 11th tee.  Tiger teed off first, and right after he teed off they went to a commercial.  Shows how much they think we think of DJ and Day, I guess.

East TN HAWG

Tiger is right at the cut; however, the SC appears to be playing a little harder than the NC, so they may be in better shape tomorrow. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 26, 2017, 04:19:19 pm
Tiger is right at the cut; however, the SC appears to be playing a little harder than the NC, so they may be in better shape tomorrow.

Traditionally the north course has been a good 3 to 3.5 shots easier than the south course, but Tom Weiskopf did a redesign of the north course recently and this is the first time the pros have played it since the redesign.  It seems to have evened the courses somewhat, probably to more like 1 to 2 shots easier now.

For those wondering, Tiger is spraying his drives everywhere but the fairway.  He's missing badly left and right.  He's actually putting very well, which is why he's only +1 right now through 13 holes.  Also, he's a good 15-30 yards behind Day and DJ on every hole.

hawgon

He won't contend anywhere if he can't hit fairways.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hawgon on January 26, 2017, 04:32:50 pm
He won't contend anywhere if he can't hit fairways.

And he appears to be running out of gas.  3 straight bogeys, all the result of really bad drives, and he just shanked his drive on 15.  Honestly looks like it went about 150 yards, dead left.

hawgon

That last drive looked like something a 15 handicapper would hit.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hawgon on January 26, 2017, 04:52:40 pm
That last drive looked like something a 15 handicapper would hit.

I think every shot he's hit the last 4 holes has been out of deep rough.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 26, 2017, 04:48:20 pm
And he appears to be running out of gas.  3 straight bogeys, all the result of really bad drives, and he just shanked his drive on 15.  Honestly looks like it went about 150 yards, dead left.

Shanks go dead right for right-handers, or so I hear.......

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2017, 05:07:05 pm
Shanks go dead right for right-handers, or so I hear.......

Well whatever it was, it wasn't pretty.  Duck-hook, I guess.

And may you come down with the shanks for pointing that out.

EastexHawg

The excuses for Tiger were coming fast and furious when I was listening to PGA Tour Radio.  "His first competitive round in 17 months..."

I could have sworn he played in the Hero World Challenge early in December.  And...it's not like he has been unable to play that entire time because of injury.  Part of the time he hasn't been playing because he sucks and has been too afraid of humiliation to play.

133rd place.

He's done.  Ever winning another tournament on tour is unlikely.  Breaking Nicklaus' record is a fantasy.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 26, 2017, 05:18:09 pm
Well whatever it was, it wasn't pretty.  Duck-hook, I guess.

And may you come down with the shanks for pointing that out.

Shoot, I play a shank, takes talent.

Jackrabbit Hog

I'm watching Tiger's post round comments on Golf Channel.  He knows.  You can hear it in his voice and see it on his face.  Several times he's mentioned the crowd being so nice to cheer for him.  It's really kinda sad.

Jackrabbit Hog

Remember Beau Hossler?  Contended at the US Open at  Olympic Club a few years ago as a 16 year old?  Has a hot mom who blew up the internet that week?  He's playing this week on a sponsors exemption, hoping to earn a card through earnings that way.  Tied for third after a -5 on day one.

East TN HAWG

I can't wait to speak to brother in law tonight.  They were on SC today. 

EastexHawg

I won't be surprised if an "injury" pops up.  There is no way he wants to play four of the next five weeks if this is going to be the way it goes.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 26, 2017, 07:08:22 pm
I won't be surprised if an "injury" pops up.  There is no way he wants to play four of the next five weeks if this is going to be the way it goes.
I'm not a Tiger hater by any means, but I always thought he was very prone to exaggerate 'injuries'...play poorly and over-act the wincing and so forth. Or hit a poor shot and act hurt. Or grab his back.

Playing up the 2008 US Open was another example. 'He won the Open with a broken leg'. I watched that, and he was walking fine. He obviously was healthy enough to walk 90 holes in five days, with hardly a limp.

Having said that, I know he's been less than healthy at times...just saying he has a flair for the dramatic that tends to come out when he's playing poorly.

Boarcephus

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 26, 2017, 07:21:53 pm
I'm not a Tiger hater by any means, but I always thought he was very prone to exaggerate 'injuries'...play poorly and over-act the wincing and so forth. Or hit a poor shot and act hurt. Or grab his back.

Playing up the 2008 US Open was another example. 'He won the Open with a broken leg'. I watched that, and he was walking fine. He obviously was healthy enough to walk 90 holes in five days, with hardly a limp.

Having said that, I know he's been less than healthy at times...just saying he has a flair for the dramatic that tends to come out when he's playing poorly.

I agree totally.  He's had the reputation for years for playing up his injuries.  I heard he felt it made him feel more like an "athlete" if he had injuries and played through them.   Day is coming off the same way these days.  Tiger lost me on the injury bit when he claimed he dislocated his wrist put popped it back in and played hurt.   
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

East TN HAWG

Alot of the major golfers use the injury\illness excuse.   Its an escape mechanism.   Jason Day does it the most even though I think it was legit at Chambers Bay. 

RagingHawgOn

I'm a huge Woods fan, always have been and always will be.

Having said that, when is the last time anyone saw him yukking it up, smiling and hugging playing partners at the end of a +4 round?

I really think Woods knows he's just one of many, many guys who could get hot for four days and win a tournament. And, he seems to be enjoying the game more. I do think if he wins one, he could win several more.

As for me, I am going to enjoy the ride.

Hawgndaaz

good to have him back.

Rory and Day both are injury prone as well, regardless if its legit or not.

hawgon

Woods is one of many out there, but in truth he isn't even good enough to be out there now as. Of course, he'll have an exemption to any non-major for the rest of his life if he lives to be a hundred, but he couldn't keep his card playing like he is now. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Watching the play yesterday, one thing driven home was how grateful we should be that we almost always get to putt on bermuda or the occasional bent grass green.  Torrey Pines, like most of the California courses, has poa annua greens and apparently they are notorious for getting bumpy, especially late in the day.  I've never seen so many bouncing putts and balls inexplicably thrown off line as I saw yesterday.  Jason Day missed 3 putts on the back 9 inside of 3 feet, and the last few holes it had clearly gotten into his head.  Took him completely out of his game. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on January 27, 2017, 08:52:53 am

Rory and Day both are injury prone as well, regardless if its legit or not.

True but I can't recall anymore bring more attention to their injuries than Day or Woods.  I'm a Day fan but not so much Tiger these days. Like someone said about Tiger, he's never nice to anyone he doesn't have to be nice to whereas Day, Rory, Fowler and Jordan all seem to be just good guys.   

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 27, 2017, 09:30:44 am
Watching the play yesterday, one thing driven home was how grateful we should be that we almost always get to putt on bermuda or the occasional bent grass green.  Torrey Pines, like most of the California courses, has poa annua greens and apparently they are notorious for getting bumpy, especially late in the day.  I've never seen so many bouncing putts and balls inexplicably thrown off line as I saw yesterday.  Jason Day missed 3 putts on the back 9 inside of 3 feet, and the last few holes it had clearly gotten into his head.  Took him completely out of his game. 

You should have putted on the sand greens at WRCC in the 60's.......

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on January 27, 2017, 09:53:09 am
You should have putted on the sand greens at WRCC in the 60's.......

My "home" course back in the '80s was Pine Valley in northern Pulaski County.  I've seen rice fields in July that would have been easier to putt than those greens.

Boog41

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 27, 2017, 09:30:44 am

Jack, I didn't watch a second of it, so I can't speak of the north course.....but the south course greens have just been redone. There isn't a speck of poa annua on them yet. Truest greens I've ever putted on two weeks ago.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boog41 on January 27, 2017, 10:43:21 am
Jack, I didn't watch a second of it, so I can't speak of the north course.....but the south course greens have just been redone. There isn't a speck of poa annua on them yet. Truest greens I've ever putted on two weeks ago.

Not doubting you at all, but late yesterday it was a hot topic among the players and the broadcasters.  I thought I heard them say that the north course greens had all been re-done (Justin Rose shot a -7 there and was very complimentary of the redesign and specifically the greens) and the south course hadn't, but now I'm all confused.

It's supposed to be extremely windy today - like 25 to 30 mph windy - so it will be very interesting to see what happens to scores.  And to Tiger.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 27, 2017, 10:54:41 am
Not doubting you at all, but late yesterday it was a hot topic among the players and the broadcasters.  I thought I heard them say that the north course greens had all been re-done (Justin Rose shot a -7 there and was very complimentary of the redesign and specifically the greens) and the south course hadn't, but now I'm all confused.

It's supposed to be extremely windy today - like 25 to 30 mph windy - so it will be very interesting to see what happens to scores.  And to Tiger.

Probably keep Tiger's drives in the fairway, be playing to his strength.....

Boog41

Now you have me all confused! :) I'm going to try to tune in some this afternoon.

Pretty sure I remember our caddies telling us that the north course had been refurbished and had reopened in November maybe?? Not sure if they redid the greens or not, but assuming so.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boog41 on January 27, 2017, 11:20:56 am
Now you have me all confused! :) I'm going to try to tune in some this afternoon.

Pretty sure I remember our caddies telling us that the north course had been refurbished and had reopened in November maybe?? Not sure if they redid the greens or not, but assuming so.

I think you are correct on that.  Weiskopf did the redesign with two primary objectives:  to make the North course a little tougher so there wouldn't be such a huge disparity between the two courses, and to redesign the greens so that they had more undulation (the complaint having been that the north course greens were too flat and boring).  Based on yesterday's comments, it looks like he succeeded on both counts.

I went to the Torrey Pines website to try to get some info on all this, but it looks like they haven't updated it in awhile.  I found it interesting that it shows both courses having greens consisting of "bentgrass, with poa annua."  Just a few minutes ago the guy tracking Tiger for Golf Channel typed that everyone in Tiger's group should be thrilled today because they would be putting on "beautiful bentgrass, unlike yesterday."  So I guess I'm still totally confused.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 27, 2017, 10:42:55 am
My "home" course back in the '80s was Pine Valley in northern Pulaski County.  I've seen rice fields in July that would have been easier to putt than those greens.

Pine Valley... Wooof.
that place was awful. What was the hole where the ball literally wouldn't stay on the green? 2 or 3?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on January 27, 2017, 12:02:24 pm
Pine Valley... Wooof.
that place was awful. What was the hole where the ball literally wouldn't stay on the green? 2 or 3?

When I started playing there it was no. 11, then they flipped the 9s and it became no. 2.  Elevated par 3 green.  No joke, I've putted the ball off the green from above the hole on more than one occasion.  And what was just as bad, the very next hole was a short par 4 that ran parallel to a chain link fence on the right with houses on the other side, and the narrow fairway sloped so severely away from the fence that you couldn't keep a ball in the fairway no matter what you hit.

But those $7 green fees were hard to beat. 

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 26, 2017, 08:51:43 pm
Alot of the major golfers use the injury\illness excuse.   Its an escape mechanism.   Jason Day does it the most even though I think it was legit at Chambers Bay.
Jason Day feigns illnesses and depression and psychological problems because he loves the attention it gives him...I don't think I've ever seen Jason' face light up a much as when he told David Feherty on the FEHERTY SHOW that he "almost withdrew from his first Masters because he just wasn't up to it"....when Feherty's face went blank you could see the sheer joy on Jason Day's expression...it was like, "hey, I made this guy feel sorry for me and wanted to help me at the same time".....Jason, IMHO, has a form of Munchausen's by Proxy Syndrome...except that he uses himself and all his ailments for attention rather than a child or a relative...this coming from a guy who who scored highest at the Texas A&M Psychology Division located in Texarkana in the second year course study level graduate school...It's not easy to diagnose(there are so many psychological problems and for one to be diagnosed each disease has at a minimum 3 criteria it must meet and some even up to seven. Let me tell you, there are some really "effed up" people in this world.  I will say this about psychology, people who get better do so because they really seek to do so. A clinician, no matter how talented cannot cure someone who has something as simple as agoraphobia, however, if the patient truly believes in the process, substantial relief of said patient's fears can be alleviated to the point of where the patient can get substantial relief. But BELIEF, brother, BELIEF is where it's at.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 27, 2017, 12:21:31 pm
Jason Day feigns illnesses and depression and psychological problems because he loves the attention it gives him...I don't think I've ever seen Jason' face light up a much as when he told David Feherty on the FEHERTY SHOW that he "almost withdrew from his first Masters because he just wasn't up to it"....when Feherty's face went blank you could see the sheer joy on Jason Day's expression...it was like, "hey, I made this guy feel sorry for me and wanted to help me at the same time".....Jason, IMHO, has a form of Munchausen's by Proxy Syndrome...except that he uses himself and all his ailments for attention rather than a child or a relative...this coming from a guy who who scored highest at the Texas A&M Psychology Division located in Texarkana in the second year course study level graduate school...It's not easy to diagnose(there are so many psychological problems and for one to be diagnosed each disease has at a minimum 3 criteria it must meet and some even up to seven. Let me tell you, there are some really "effed up" people in this world.  I will say this about psychology, people who get better do so because they really seek to do so. A clinician, no matter how talented cannot cure someone who has something as simple as agoraphobia, however, if the patient truly believes in the process, substantial relief of said patient's fears can be alleviated to the point of where the patient can get substantial relief. But BELIEF, brother, BELIEF is where it's at.

Medical forum.

ricepig

The question is, will Tiger's poor play bring Day and DJ down to his level and all of them miss the cut?

GolfNut57

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on January 27, 2017, 12:02:24 pm
Pine Valley... Wooof.

And these days the course hasn't really gotten any better.

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 27, 2017, 12:07:16 pm
When I started playing there it was no. 11, then they flipped the 9s and it became no. 2.  Elevated par 3 green.  No joke, I've putted the ball off the green from above the hole on more than one occasion.  And what was just as bad, the very next hole was a short par 4 that ran parallel to a chain link fence on the right with houses on the other side, and the narrow fairway sloped so severely away from the fence that you couldn't keep a ball in the fairway no matter what you hit.

But those $7 green fees were hard to beat. 

As for hole #3 with the severe sloping fairway, the fairway sloped from the left to right and as you said, it was practically impossible to keep the ball on the fairway. You could hit a straight drive down the left edge of the fairway and the ball would end up taking several hard bounces to the right and eventually end up either going through or bouncing over the fence into someones back yard, losing you the ball in the process. If you were real lucky it would just hit the fence and stop. Some guys I used to work with and me would play Pine Valley after work sometimes and when we got to that hole it was mutually agreed we would all just take a drop at the 150 marker and call it laying one.

It would likely take someone who could hit a hook on demand to start the ball out to the right and let it hook back to the left side of the fairway to keep it in play.  But even then I am not sure that would work. That hole is just plain ridiculous.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.