Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gerry Bohanon 2018

Started by Letsroll1200, January 16, 2017, 03:05:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: riccoar on May 18, 2017, 07:26:51 am
It doesn't until you run out of other arguments.  Their is a strong argument to the level of comp he has faced.  However, he is a very gifted athlete and I hope he chooses the Hogs.

I don't think any of the other SEC coaches that have offered him think 2A football in Arkansas is top notch, but they've all offered him based on his individual athleticism. I view the delay as a positive, as I think he was committing to MSU, hopefully we keep making up ground.

riccoar

I know Bama also offered as an athlete.  I understand his desire, and frankly, he won't see the field in his first season anyway so he will have ample time to prove if he has SEC strength as a QB.

RazorPiggie

This thread is taking a turn for the trash can.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: theFlyingHog on May 18, 2017, 01:07:37 am
Apparently some of these people think we have a better shot with a black QB.
We have a better shot with a dynamic athlete at QB. That's not very debatable. When defenses have to compensate for a running qb it's opens everything else up and it's much harder to prepare.  If any fans should realize this it should be ours.

riccoar

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on May 18, 2017, 09:07:05 am
We have a better shot with a dynamic athlete at QB. That's not very debatable. When defenses have to compensate for a running qb it's opens everything else up and it's much harder to prepare.  If any fans should realize this it should be ours.
But that's simply up to the coach to determine.  I don't think being mobile is the issue.  It's can he stand in the pocket and dissect the defense when that warrants.  Getting outside the box is a lot easier against a 2A LB than it is one in the SEC.

Hawgndaaz

the same people obsessed with this kid being the best ever also cry when folks say LeBron isn't better than Jordan.

same. exact. people.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: riccoar on May 18, 2017, 09:10:59 am
But that's simply up to the coach to determine.  I don't think being mobile is the issue.  It's can he stand in the pocket and dissect the defense when that warrants.  Getting outside the box is a lot easier against a 2A LB than it is one in the SEC.
It's called development. And looking at his offer list about all of the SEC West wants to develop him. The evaluation is over. Y'all can sit around typing about who he played against in high school but the fact is that people who get paid millions of dollars to evaluate and coach want him as a scholarship QB.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on May 18, 2017, 09:29:32 am
the same people obsessed with this kid being the best ever also cry when folks say LeBron isn't better than Jordan.

same. exact. people.
Why not show the young fellow some love? He's earned it.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on May 18, 2017, 10:12:05 am
Why not show the young fellow some love? He's earned it.

I'm sure he's great.

greenie

So, he's announcing top 5 tomorrow, right?  Any chance we don't make the top 5?

PorkRinds

Quote from: greenie on May 18, 2017, 10:50:03 am

Doubtful. I feel like he would include us out of respect if nothing else.

hawgwash

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on May 18, 2017, 10:00:52 am
It's called development. And looking at his offer list about all of the SEC West wants to develop him. The evaluation is over. Y'all can sit around typing about who he played against in high school but the fact is that people who get paid millions of dollars to evaluate and coach want him as a scholarship QB.
Including Bret Bielema.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on May 18, 2017, 10:00:52 am
Y'all can sit around typing about who he played against in high school but the fact is that people who get paid millions of dollars to evaluate and coach want him as a scholarship QB.

Fans prefer convenient arguments.  This is another one of those.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Seebs

I would expect some crystal balls to change in the coming weeks.  This went from a certainty to a second thought.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on May 18, 2017, 07:13:41 am
What difference does his color make?
it doesn't. it was a reaction that that dude poop posting on Gerry for no apparent reason. In fact, there is only ONE reason why someone would do that. ANd since all the racists have gotten bold, i respond to any apparent racism boldly.

Not calling dude a racist, before you guys all loose your minds. But, look at his post. Why is he getting a pass? Did he say the right code word or something?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 18, 2017, 02:43:05 pm
it doesn't. it was a reaction that that dude poop posting on Gerry for no apparent reason. In fact, there is only ONE reason why someone would do that. ANd since all the racists have gotten bold, i respond to any apparent racism boldly.

Not calling dude a racist, before you guys all loose your minds. But, look at his post. Why is he getting a pass? Did he say the right code word or something?

Umm, he said he was backing out of his announcement, I didn't realize that was racists.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: greenie on May 18, 2017, 10:50:03 am

Woot yeah glad he change to top 5 only.

My guess is Arkansas. Auburn, Louisville, Miss State, Alabama.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 18, 2017, 04:55:29 pm
You're out of your mind crazy. The reason was pretty apparent. I stated my thoughts on the situation being yet ANOTHER kid that's a prima donna and in my opinion, is doing all of this announcing, changing dates, etc. to stir the pot and build up the drama. That will then make the national pundits salivate over him while he chooses to go to a bigger SEC school. I COULD be wrong in that he thought he knew where he was going, wanted to lock in a commitment and then had a change of heart where he backed off of publicly announcing. That's not the way I'm reading the tea leaves in this instance, given how so many have played out in the past. Race has absolutely nothing to do with it. You just throw that out there to try and support your argument, but no dice. Major backfire. And word to the wise, don't go around slinging insults about others being racist, especially when it has nothing to do with the aforementioned topic. I would welcome a commit from Bohanon 10 out of 10 times. I just don't like the attention seeking way of doing things.

Not saying you're racist at all. But you may be misreading this situation. He hasn't had any drama at all. 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on May 18, 2017, 03:03:53 pm
Umm, he said he was backing out of his announcement, I didn't realize that was racists.
wth are you talking about? dude came in and drop a drive-by darn-post on Gerry. talking crap. If he had done that about Nolan, there would have been hell to pay. In fact, I myself got told to stop "talking bad about Nolan" when all i did was talk good about Gerry. This is the recruiting forum. You DO NOT come in here with that crap like Rock City did. If you do, Im gonna call you on it. And the ones that defend him are just outting your own selves.

We aren't blind. Or dumb. :P
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

bennyl08

That wasn't likely racist.

Earlier either in this thread or the in state class thread, somebody posted some racist crap on how the only reason Gerry wasn't being offered as qb was because the coaching staff was racist.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 18, 2017, 08:24:27 pm
wth are you talking about? dude came in and drop a drive-by darn-post on Gerry. talking crap. If he had done that about Nolan, there would have been hell to pay. In fact, I myself got told to stop "talking bad about Nolan" when all i did was talk good about Gerry. This is the recruiting forum. You DO NOT come in here with that crap like Rock City did. If you do, Im gonna call you on it. And the ones that defend him are just outting your own selves.

We aren't blind. Or dumb. :P
Who is "we"? And who is Nolan?

chiti66

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 17, 2017, 09:32:39 pm
Mitchell has his name engraved on the sidewalk at this university if I'm not mistaken (he was here 4 years and didn't have to sit out a year at NC State so I'm assuming he pursued a graduate degree there...). I wouldn't try to belittle him or bash him as you are doing here.

BM gave us 4 years of his life as was instrumental in helping us prepare for mobile qb's in his time here. He missed extended time at NC State but showed that in just one off-season, he was able to beat out all of their qb's for the starting job. He paid his dues here, lost a fair battle for the starting position, and he deserved to get some real playing time before his career ended and I have no issue with him transferring. It hurt us in 2013 no question, but I'd have done the same thing.

As for why he lost the battle to BA, Mitchell had the stronger arm and the greater athleticism, but according to the coaches (and this was apparent when practices were open as well), he struggled to put any touch on the ball when the situation called for it and he struggled with throwing interceptions. BA had a pretty good arm in his own right, had solid athleticism for a qb, but was very careful with the ball and accurate. Again, if I were in those same shoes, I'd have chosen BA as the starter myself.

Re-reading this tread due to Bohanon's committment date change.  I like the kid and hope he signs with our beloved Hogs. But if I was his father, I would probably lean toward Miss St., due to Mullens history with QBs (Dak, and the current kid).  And IMHO, one of CBBs early mistakes was not starting BM his senior year. The fam and I made the trek from Atlanta to watch the spring game that year. My sons and I agreed that BA was more active (hyped) during the game, but it was clear to us that BM would be our starting QB.  It was nothing that he did that was so special, it was the fact that he did as well as BA, but wasn't all that emotional or hyped. I would have started BM without hesitation. He was the much better overall athlete, and his dedication to the program would have meant something, IMHO.  Starting BM didn't mean that he couldn't have been pulled for BA if/when it became obvious that he couldn't get the job done. BA is a clearly a stud!!  But we started him too early, and it wasn't necessary to do so, and decisions like these is why we are now battling MSU for the services of Mr. Bohanon. 

HogHomer

Quote from: chiti66 on May 19, 2017, 01:22:36 pm
Re-reading this tread due to Bohanon's committment date change.  I like the kid and hope he signs with our beloved Hogs. But if I was his father, I would probably lean toward Miss St., due to Mullens history with QBs (Dak, and the current kid).  And IMHO, one of CBBs early mistakes was not starting BM his senior year. The fam and I made the trek from Atlanta to watch the spring game that year. My sons and I agreed that BA was more active (hyped) during the game, but it was clear to us that BM would be our starting QB.  It was nothing that he did that was so special, it was the fact that he did as well as BA, but wasn't all that emotional or hyped. I would have started BM without hesitation. He was the much better overall athlete, and his dedication to the program would have meant something, IMHO.  Starting BM didn't mean that he couldn't have been pulled for BA if/when it became obvious that he couldn't get the job done. BA is a clearly a stud!!  But we started him too early, and it wasn't necessary to do so, and decisions like these is why we are now battling MSU for the services of Mr. Bohanon.
So based off of a spring game you have decided that is why we are recruiting against MSU Auburn Bama for an Arkansas kid? Starting BM wouldn't have changed Mullen developing QBs or Gus going to Auburn or Bama domination?
You don't see players every day in practice or in meetings, who the players gravitate towards. But no a spring game is all you needed to see.

Bohanon is a good prospect but it's not the end of the world if we don't get him as we have just as good or better QB prospect in Conner. Let's stop creating false narratives like starting BA over BM is the reason we might not get Bohanon.

Edit: Too add by your own admission BM wasn't any better than BA so shouldnt we go with the younger of the two as he would presumably​ have the greater potential since he was of equal skill with BM despite having spent less time in a college program.

chiti66

Quote from: HogHomer on May 19, 2017, 01:49:58 pm
So based off of a spring game you have decided that is why we are recruiting against MSU Auburn Bama for an Arkansas kid? Starting BM wouldn't have changed Mullen developing QBs or Gus going to Auburn or Bama domination?
You don't see players every day in practice or in meetings, who the players gravitate towards. But no a spring game is all you needed to see.

Bohanon is a good prospect but it's not the end of the world if we don't get him as we have just as good or better QB prospect in Conner. Let's stop creating false narratives like starting BA over BM is the reason we might not get Bohanon.

Uh, no.  I didn't base my opinion off of a spring game.  I, like 90% of the posters here get my information about the Hogs from news reports. I am that unusual fan that follows our team rather closely, my wife says that I am somewhat crazy in my devotion.  I have traveled this great world for over 30 years, and have watched easily  90% of our games to include BB.  I have attended games at Fayetteville, UGA, and USC.  Same goes for BB....saying this to say that I have my opinion and you have yours.  If you don't think that not starting BM a few years ago doesn't have an affect on recruiting, well I don't know what to tell you.  But it is not at all a false narrative my friend. 

But I do agree with you in that if he signs elsewhere, it will not be the end of the world.

chiti66

Edit: Too add by your own admission BM wasn't any better than BA so shouldnt we go with the younger of the two as he would presumably​ have the greater potential since he was of equal skill with BM despite having spent less time in a college program.
[/quote]

No, you go with the senior, more experience player.  Experience equates to intangibles.  Arguably, BA would have been much more prepared to assume the reigns his Jr and Sr year.  I don't think that it's even a contest in regards to who had the better year as a first time starter, AA or BA.  CBB first year on the Hill was his "throw-a-way" year, so play the veterans, fight for a decent record and get the young guys ready to go the next year. We are Arkansas, not Bama, OSU, or FSU....we don't expect 10 win seasons every year, regardless of the roster turnover.  We accept 3-6 wins in a rebuild year, 7-9 most other years, throw in the occasional 10 win season and we are fans for life:). 

Woo Pig!!!

bennyl08

Quote from: chiti66 on May 19, 2017, 01:22:36 pm

He didn't do as well as BA though. Well, depending on what you place more emphasis on.

Here's an abbreviated checklist and what each was better at

Pocket presence: Push
Mobility in pocket: BA
Mobility out of pocket: BM
Deep ball strength: BM
Deep ball accuracy: BM
Short ball touch: BA
Short ball accuracy: BA
quick release: BA
Reading defense: BA
Limiting turnovers: BA
team leadership: Push
size: BM

Mitchell gave us us a qb who was more of a threat running the football and had a better deep ball. However, more fumbles, more interceptions, more dropped passes from receivers 5 yards down field because of a lack of touch.

Allen gave us a qb who was more accurate, particularly in the short to intermediate where most throws happen. Who turned the ball over less. But who was still agile and still had NFL level arm strength.

Factor in how that year Bielema's idea was for a run first, ball control offense to help out the bend but don't break defense that year, being able to nickel and dime in the passing game and not turn the ball over were the key qualities he wanted.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Peter Porker

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 18, 2017, 02:43:05 pm

always bringing up race....
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

chiti66

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 19, 2017, 03:28:45 pm
He didn't do as well as BA though. Well, depending on what you place more emphasis on.

Here's an abbreviated checklist and what each was better at

Pocket presence: Push
Mobility in pocket: BA
Mobility out of pocket: BM
Deep ball strength: BM
Deep ball accuracy: BM
Short ball touch: BA
Short ball accuracy: BA
quick release: BA
Reading defense: BA
Limiting turnovers: BA
team leadership: Push
size: BM

Mitchell gave us us a qb who was more of a threat running the football and had a better deep ball. However, more fumbles, more interceptions, more dropped passes from receivers 5 yards down field because of a lack of touch.

Allen gave us a qb who was more accurate, particularly in the short to intermediate where most throws happen. Who turned the ball over less. But who was still agile and still had NFL level arm strength.

Factor in how that year Bielema's idea was for a run first, ball control offense to help out the bend but don't break defense that year, being able to nickel and dime in the passing game and not turn the ball over were the key qualities he wanted.
Fair assessment....basically even.  Not enough separation to warrant starting an underclassman over a senior who had sacrificed so much for the team.  BM deserved to start for the Hogs his senior year....if he stunk it up, bring in BA. 

bennyl08

Quote from: chiti66 on May 19, 2017, 04:17:00 pm
Fair assessment....basically even.  Not enough separation to warrant starting an underclassman over a senior who had sacrificed so much for the team.  BM deserved to start for the Hogs his senior year....if he stunk it up, bring in BA.

That's where weighting comes into play. Let's take those 12 listed things and weight them for a run-heavy, ball control offense out of 100.

Pocket presence: 8
Mobility in pocket: 6
Mobility out of pocket: 5
Deep ball strength: 4
Deep ball accuracy: 4
Short ball touch: 9
Short ball accuracy: 12
quick release: 8
Reading defense: 15
Limiting turnovers: 15
team leadership: 10
size: 4

Under that, BM would get a score of 72/100 give or take (for example, he gets 6/8 for pocket presence, 10/15 for turnovers, etc...). BA would score an 85.

Such that even though the list is pretty similar on who excels at what, BA excelled more at what Bielema found to be the most important for the type of offense he envisioned that year.

If we were running a read option offense that like to use play action to take shots down the field, then BM would have been an 85 and BA a 72 give or take.

chiti66

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 19, 2017, 04:32:46 pm
That's where weighting comes into play. Let's take those 12 listed things and weight them for a run-heavy, ball control offense out of 100.

Pocket presence: 8
Mobility in pocket: 6
Mobility out of pocket: 5
Deep ball strength: 4
Deep ball accuracy: 4
Short ball touch: 9
Short ball accuracy: 12
quick release: 8
Reading defense: 15
Limiting turnovers: 15
team leadership: 10
size: 4

Under that, BM would get a score of 72/100 give or take (for example, he gets 6/8 for pocket presence, 10/15 for turnovers, etc...). BA would score an 85.

Such that even though the list is pretty similar on who excels at what, BA excelled more at what Bielema found to be the most important for the type of offense he envisioned that year.

If we were running a read option offense that like to use play action to take shots down the field, then BM would have been an 85 and BA a 72 give or take.

Don't totally disagree with your analysis, but still for optics, and a show of loyalty (incoming coach), I would have gone with BM.  It would have appeared that CBB was not only loyal, but fair.  Experience would bring those numbers to about even.  And again, if after 2-3 games, BM wasn't getting it done.....next.  We are great Hog fans and we agree to disagree.

Woo Pig!

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 18, 2017, 09:20:42 pm
I very well could be, and as mentioned, I don't have a problem being wrong. in this case, I hope that I am and that he changed announcement date because he's looking more at the Hogs despite the MSU crystal ball picks flooding in. I'm just saying I've seen it before where it's all about the buildup before committing and signing.
The young man is terribly annoyed by the recruiting process. That's common knowledge. Get informed and quit assuming.

bennyl08

Quote from: chiti66 on May 19, 2017, 05:02:36 pm
Don't totally disagree with your analysis, but still for optics, and a show of loyalty (incoming coach), I would have gone with BM.  It would have appeared that CBB was not only loyal, but fair.  Experience would bring those numbers to about even.  And again, if after 2-3 games, BM wasn't getting it done.....next.  We are great Hog fans and we agree to disagree.

Woo Pig!

Disagree on the optics. Starting somebody for the sole reason that they have been there longer despite not being as good a player for your offense as somebody else on the team is bad optics. That's GOBN type stuff. By playing the best player, regardless of seniority, it shows he is willing to win. If it has any impact on recruiting, playing BM over BA would hurt recruiting as players don't think they'll get a fair shake since it wouldn't be a best man wins situation. The the qb who is best able to run the offense, and it being a younger guy possibly helped bring in some of the players we did in 2014, with them knowing that coach will play them if they demonstrate they are good enough.

Benching the qb a few games into the season is a bad look too. Think Spurrier. That hurts both qb's confidence and makes them played scared instead of confident. Hurts team cohesion with the offense lacking the leadership from a consistent qb. Demonstrates fickleness in the coach, a coach who can't make a decision. QB's looking to come here will wonder how short a leash they'll be on. If the receiver tips a well thrown pass and it gets intercepted, will I lose my job to the backup? Perhaps to just be inserted back into the game the first time the other guy makes a mistake? Note that this is a different situation to having an unsettled qb competition where you play both players into the start of the season and then make a decision. Under your scenario, BM would be the declared starter and then benched.

Potosihog

Only on Hogville.net does a thread about a current recruit turn into an argument about two players who are no longer on the team :-) just sayin

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Potosihog on May 19, 2017, 10:20:09 pm
Only on Hogville.net does a thread about a current recruit turn into an argument about two players who are no longer on the team :-) just sayin
Every time I start reading this thread I start thinking I must have accidentally clicked into jump ball

HardingHog

So... He didn't release his "Top 5" I guess? I'm interested to see who he has in it whenever (if) it's released

Richard Davenport

Quote from: HardingHog on May 20, 2017, 02:47:48 am
So... He didn't release his "Top 5" I guess? I'm interested to see who he has in it whenever (if) it's released

Today.

HardingHog

Hogs
Baylor
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Georgia
Louisville

The_Iceman

Quote from: HardingHog on May 20, 2017, 03:58:03 pm
Hogs
Baylor
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Georgia
Louisville

I like our chances since Auburn and Bama aren't in there. Think it will be between us, Louisville, and Miss State.

HogHomer

I thought a couple months ago he said Auburn was his dream school now they didn't even make his top 5. I wonder what happened there?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Potosihog on May 19, 2017, 10:20:09 pm
lol. true. But Bohanon and Noland are similar in their strengths as BM and BA. I think they are both better than BM and BA , at least both seem , as juniors in high school, like they have higher ceilings. Bohanon is a more beastly physical specimen than BM. Both had a big arm for the long ball, which both tend to 'float' a bit. Noland and BA both have elite, quick releases and high accuracy, but I'd given Noland the edge in 'zip', although BA had some zip, too. Noland fires fastballs on a rope. It's a beautiful sight to see.

GoHogzzGo

Baylor and Ole Miss I don't understand.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on May 21, 2017, 08:08:57 pm
well, Baylor with Matt Rhule might become a player. Ole Piss just buys kids.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 20, 2017, 04:10:28 pm
Weird Auburn is his dream school but doesn't make the final cut. Guess he's deterred by the other QB commit. The only reason Baylor would be attractive is little competition. How anyone would want to go play for a snake like Freeze and the Ole Miss program is beyond me. Louisville is only there because of their QB right now that won the Heisman. Georgia is a good program, but do they have a good coach? Always seem to underperform, not sure Smart is ready for that role. And they'll always have a top-rated QB prospect. MS State seems to be the biggest threat and likely his leader. Mullen has had a good track record with mobile QBs, it's in the SEC, he has job security and he would have a great chance to go there and start within 2 years. They're not as good a program as Arkansas though, and I think they peaked previous years with Dak. Will be a cellar dweller once again. Hogs may not be much further ahead and struggled to beat the Dawgs while Dak was there, but I do believe UA is moving forward while MSU is regressing. In the end though, I think us already having Noland will push him to MSU.

I thought it was weird too. I have not really been following very closely but I had kind of already resigned myself to seeing another well regarded Arkansas kid throw his lot in with Gus Clownzahn.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

riccoar

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on May 21, 2017, 08:08:57 pm
My thoughts too.  Both schools are dumpster fires with the NCAA up their rear waiting on them to cough wrong.

clutch

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 15, 2017, 10:44:07 pm
A running QB from Earle is a long way from "molding your offense to".

Seriously, the kid MIGHT be awesome.  But he's a running qb from a 2a school.

I wouldn't call him a running QB. If you watch Earle play, they throw it more than they run. I would just say that he is a QB that CAN run. He's not your typical running QB that can't throw. He's got a cannon, and he's pretty accurate.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 20, 2017, 04:06:58 pm
I like our chances since Auburn and Bama aren't in there. Think it will be between us, Louisville, and Miss State.
I agree. Right now Mississippi State is in the league. The Dak Prescott affect.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hobhog