Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AR Elk

Started by RazorbackRon, October 22, 2016, 01:36:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorbackRon

Went up to Ponca for the day on Friday, Oct 21.  Was hoping the cool weather would get the elk out and boy, did it.

We saw approx. 100 elk or so in two different fields.   In one of the first fields just south of the Elk Education center, we saw about 40-45 elk.  There was one big 6x6 bull that definitely controlled the herd.  He ran off a couple of young spikes, made 'em jump a fence or chased 'em back to the creek bottom.  He would continuously circle the heard and kept the cows and calves in a pretty tight group.  We heard him bugle twice which was definitely what we were hoping for.  Also, heard the cows calling to their calves several times in that spot.   Several cows and one of the young spikes came up to within 10 yards of the fences\road there.  Very cool to watch.

Went further south, down to the junction of 21 & 43, and saw an even bigger bunch of elk.  We counted 50-60 in the big field right there at the intersection.   This was definitely a looser group of animals because they were spread all over the pasture.  We counted at least 10 bulls in this group that were 3x3 or bigger.   Was really surprised to see so many good sized bulls together.  There was one group of 6 bulls that pretty much hung out together.  Several times we saw different bulls in this group of 6 fight each other.   You could hear their antlers rattling very easily they were so loud.  There really weren't any serious fights here but more like young bulls sparring with each other.  It was way cool.

This is only the 3rd time we've gone up to Ponca to see the elk.  The 1st two times we never saw more than 5 or 6 elk on either trip.  This was by far the best and most interesting trip we've had.

FYI ...the elk came out around 4:30-5pm,  Sunset was about 6:30 on Friday.  Also, the Buffalo River is very, very low, as are all of the creeks in the Ozarks right now.  We stopped on the way up from central AR at Haw Creek Falls just north of Russellville.  There was barely any water in the creek and just a tiny little waterfall. 

The leaves have not really started changing up there yet, at least in the Ponca area.. A few reds and a few yellows.  I really thought I'd see a lot more hickories in their beautiful yellow colors.  Peak fall foilage is only a couple of weeks away though.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.