Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dallas continues to destroy their program

Started by BPsTheMan, April 28, 2016, 08:20:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BPsTheMan

Ezekiel Elliott

Why not make Terrell Owens a position coach at this point? Hell make him a coordinator.

Worse destruction of a sports franchise in history.

EastexHawg

Not exactly a vote of confidence in Darren McFadden.

BPsTheMan

Dr. Starcs

Yeah, Dallas 1st round picks have really sucked recently.

hog.goblin

That was a Jerry Jones "I'm overriding everyone else in my organization" type of pick.  He is the next Al Davis.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: hog.goblin on April 28, 2016, 08:29:20 pm
That was a Jerry Jones "I'm overriding everyone else in my organization" type of pick.  He is the next Al Davis.

"Hey! Let's draft that guy who slams his coaches to the media! That cancer guy! Let's get him!"

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: hog.goblin on April 28, 2016, 08:29:20 pm

I don't know. Al Davis was at least enamored with speed. I don't know what Jerry is enamored with other than a) trying to outthink the room or b) his own stupidity.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

hoglady

No running back is worth a #4 pick.
I was shocked.
They've got plenty of other needs - could have picked up a good back in the 2nd or 3rd round.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hogs run wild

Quote from: hoglady on April 28, 2016, 08:55:16 pm
No running back is worth a #4 pick.
I was shocked.
They've got plenty of other needs - could have picked up a good back in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Mcfadden was picked with the 4th pick.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

TomasPistola

With Dallas' line, you didn't need Elliot. Could have got some help on the D-line or a CB that can cover worth a darn.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Hogs run wild

I'll always cheer for a player that bled razorback red, no matter where he was picked. I was very happy he was picked so high.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Tejano Jawg

Here in Dallas, I hear a lot of opinions on this.

Some of the most solid thoughts are—
-if the Cowboys were going to draft a RB, why did they sign Morris a few months ago? The Cowboys can't have that many RBs active on Sundays. One of them will be standing in street clothes during game days.
-no one thinks EE is a 'once in a generation' back, and that's the only reason to take a RB in the top 5.
-more on that thought, everyone says he's nowhere close to a guy like Gurley, who was handed the ball even when the defense knew he was getting it (at Georgia). Ohio State's O only put the ball in EE's hands on favorable running downs.
-history has proven you can get strong RBs in later rounds...fresh legs who would come in fired up and would compete for a starting spot. That would be a good scenario.
-we were fine at RB last year, yet we have NO playmakers on defense. Ramsey would have been the perfect fit.

And my comments, adding to the above—
-I'm not sure the Big 10 is that great. While I was impressed with EE in games I saw, he's not exactly doing it against the top caliber defenses (like in the SEC).
-I was sure the pick would be Ramsey. Garrett really gushed about him...so why the smokescreen? I think the Cowboys took a premier position player (RB) because they could. Not because they should. A big defender wasn't sexy enough for Jerry maybe. I have to think several people in the war room were not on board with the Elliot pick.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

pigture perfect

As a Cowboy hater, I couldn't be more thrilled with the pick. Tehetehe.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 28, 2016, 09:25:05 pm
As a Cowboy hater, I couldn't be more thrilled with the pick. Tehetehe.

Happy for you.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on April 28, 2016, 09:21:17 pm

-if the Cowboys were going to draft a RB, why did they sign Morris a few months ago? The Cowboys can't have that many RBs active on Sundays. One of them will be standing in street clothes during game days.
-no one thinks EE is a 'once in a generation' back, and that's the only reason to take a RB in the top 5.
-more on that thought, everyone says he's nowhere close to a guy like Gurley, who was handed the ball even when the defense knew he was getting it (at Georgia). Ohio State's O only put the ball in EE's hands on favorable running downs.
-history has proven you can get strong RBs in later rounds...fresh legs who would come in fired up and would compete for a starting spot. That would be a good scenario.
-we were fine at RB last year, yet we have NO playmakers on defense. Ramsey would have been the perfect fit.

-I'm not sure the Big 10 is that great. While I was impressed with EE in games I saw, he's not exactly doing it against the top caliber defenses (like in the SEC).
-I was sure the pick would be Ramsey. Garrett really gushed about him...so why the smokescreen? I think the Cowboys took a premier position player (RB) because they could. Not because they should. A big defender wasn't sexy enough for Jerry maybe. I have to think several people in the war room were not on board with the Elliot pick.

Here's my outside of Dallas take..

Jerry Jones is Steve Bartman 20 years in a row

Dr. Starcs

How many picks did Ramsey have? 

Very solid player, but not a game changing play maker IMO.

I would've rather seen Dallas go defense though no doubt.

EastexHawg

Maybe the thinking is that the last time they had a power back who could carry 20-25 times per game they went 12-4 and were as good as any team in the NFC.  Romo stayed upright and in one piece, too.

bennyl08

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on April 28, 2016, 09:21:17 pm

Not sure where you are listening too, but it was pretty much consensus that Elliot is the best back to come out since Peterson. His combine numbers alone would force him to be a first round pick. Hick production in college alone would suggest first round pick. Add to that he catches, pass blocks, doesn't have an injury history, he would have been a top 10 pick in any draft and a top 5 pick in most.

As for Dallas picking him, that is a surprise. I wouldn't have done that in their place. RB was certainly a need for them, but not their biggest or most pressing and with Ramsey on the board, he wasn't the best player on the board. However, anybody saying this is a bad pick doesn't know what they are talking about. With Elliot at rb and their OL, defensive woes are alleviated by being able to rest and keeping opposing offenses from being able to establish a rhythm. Look at what the Vikings have been able to do in a much tougher division with a much worse OL. Now, in recent years, they've had a stronger defense, but then look at the cowboy's defense the one year Murray actually did something. Cowboy's defense was historically terrible the year before, and they came out of nowhere to be a good defense that year, before returning to being terrible the next season. Plus, lets not act like this is their only pick. This is a deep defensive draft. A third round DL player this year is akin to a second round most years.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 28, 2016, 09:32:15 pm
Maybe the thinking is that the last time they had a power back who could carry 20-25 times per game they went 12-4 and were as good as any team in the NFC.  Romo stayed upright and in one piece, too.

In one piece? Yes. Upright? No. He took 29 sacks in 2014 over 15 games for 1.93 sacks per game. In 2015, he took 6 sacks in 4 games for an average of 1.5 sacks per game. He was more upright this past season than last.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 28, 2016, 09:32:29 pm
Not sure where you are listening too, but it was pretty much consensus that Elliot is the best back to come out since Peterson.

I didn't say people/newspeople/sportspeople were down on him or anything. Everyone clearly said he was the #1 RB in the draft. I said there were questions about him being worth the 4th pick, as far as the Cowboys were concerned...when the need for a defender was as high as ever.

I haven't heard comments since the pick. I doubt anyone will say it's a mistake, but in the past week, most thought we'd go defense. If the Cowboys would have liked Bosa more (as a much-needed pass rusher), he would have been the one. But the Jones family and Garrett had other ideas.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on April 28, 2016, 10:16:59 pm
I didn't say people/newspeople/sportspeople were down on him or anything. Everyone clearly said he was the #1 RB in the draft. I said there were questions about him being worth the 4th pick, as far as the Cowboys were concerned...when the need for a defender was as high as ever.

I haven't heard comments since the pick. I doubt anyone will say it's a mistake, but in the past week, most thought we'd go defense. If the Cowboys would have liked Bosa more (as a much-needed pass rusher), he would have been the one. But the Jones family and Garrett had other ideas.

Pete Prisco's opinion:

"4 D  Cowboys select: Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State
Good player. Too high. Other needs. Bad pick. He's a back."
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/25563462/grades-2016-nfl-draft-round-1

I don't think anyone will say bad pick because of the level of player Elliott is.  I think it is where he was taken is what will be discussed because of the position he plays.   

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hvsupastar

I've never seen anything out of Elliott that makes me think he'll be a great nfl running back. You have a guy in McFadden who hit the 1000 yard mark despite only starting 10 games and added a former pro bowl running back in Alfred Morris...  This pick is bizarre to say the least.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

hog.goblin

Quote from: hvsupastar on April 28, 2016, 10:23:00 pm
I've never seen anything out of Elliott that makes me think he'll be a great nfl running back. You have a guy in McFadden who hit the 1000 yard mark despite only starting 10 games and added a former pro bowl running back in Alfred Morris...  This pick is bizarre to say the least.

This

I just don't see it adding wins to the team

EastexHawg

Quote from: hvsupastar on April 28, 2016, 10:23:00 pm

He ran all over Alabama for 230 yards in the national semifinal, then went for 246 in the championship game against Oregon.  He was the MVP of both games. 

Maybe I impress easily, but I thought that was fairly big time.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 28, 2016, 10:22:41 pm
Pete Prisco's opinion:

"4 D  Cowboys select: Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State
Good player. Too high. Other needs. Bad pick. He's a back."
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/25563462/grades-2016-nfl-draft-round-1

I don't think anyone will say bad pick because of the level of player Elliott is.  I think it is where he was taken is what will be discussed because of the position he plays.   

Okay, since my previous post, now I HAVE heard a comment. From Dallas channel 8's (very opinionated) Dale Hansen. He kinda ripped the pick, saying "sure Elliot will make the Cowboys better, but HOW MUCH better?"

He compared the rushing totals last year (4-12) vs the year before (12-4)...400 yards difference. "Did those 400 yards amount to 8 more wins?" LOL.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on April 28, 2016, 10:46:11 pm
Okay, since my previous post, now I HAVE heard a comment. From Dallas channel 8's (very opinionated) Dale Hansen. He kinda ripped the pick, saying "sure Elliot will make the Cowboys better, but HOW MUCH better?"

He compared the rushing totals last year (4-12) vs the year before (12-4)...400 yards difference. "Did those 400 yards amount to 8 more wins?" LOL.

NFL Network reported Dallas tried to move back into first round.  Wonder who they wanted. 

Dr. Starcs

The 8 more wins had more to do with qb than rb.

And it's rumored they wanted lynch when they tried to move up. Honestly, I'm glad they didnt get him as I'm hoping they will address that d-line with their first pick tomorrow.

alohawg

It was a dumb pick. I see a good RB running through gapping holes most times with slightly better than average speed, a 2nd rd. talent, that's it. Move down a few spots, picking up another 2nd and going defense is what I would have preferred if they didn't think Ramsey was worth a 4. Leave it to Jerry to screw up a high draft position. ::)
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

HawgAdvocate

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 28, 2016, 10:57:12 pm
NFL Network reported Dallas tried to move back into first round.  Wonder who they wanted.

I would hope they wanted to trade down and pick up an extra draft pick or two and select Lynch out of Memphis late in the first. Denver is getting their next QB in Lynch. I think he's the real deal.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ImHogginIt on April 29, 2016, 01:23:27 am
I would hope they wanted to trade down and pick up an extra draft pick or two and select Lynch out of Memphis late in the first. Denver is getting their next QB in Lynch. I think he's the real deal.

Hope so.  But he is a project. 

Hogarusa

You guys are letting your hate blind you.  Zeke is a great pick and he wasnt going to last past #8.  They picked him to run behind that massive OL that Demarco had so much success with 2 seasons ago.  By getting back to the run, you help keep Romo safer and you keep the D off the field longer. 

Zeke is a stud and its going to work out great. 

Was disappointed their trade attempts to get Lynch didnt work out.  If they could have pulled that off,  they would have been declared draft winners last night
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Hogarusa

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on April 28, 2016, 10:46:11 pm

Thats 30 yards a game, 3 first downs, more TOP. Went from #1 in TOP/G to #13.   Seems significant.  With their passing, they were down in total 50 ypg.  In one year thats a top 10 offense going to an offense in the bottom 11.  Thats a large negative impact, clearly hurt the defense as well
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

hog.goblin

Quote from: Hogarusa on April 29, 2016, 01:11:53 pm
Thats 30 yards a game, 3 first downs, more TOP. Went from #1 in TOP/G to #13.   Seems significant.  With their passing, they were down in total 50 ypg.  In one year thats a top 10 offense going to an offense in the bottom 11.  Thats a large negative impact, clearly hurt the defense as well

Darren was the primary back the last 11 games and averaged 87 yards per game rushing and 26 yards per game receiving.  Without Romo.

It's hard to imagine Elliott being appreciably better than that with respect to being the 4th overall pick.

Dr. Starcs

Dmac will be gone after this year presumably.

Atlhogfan1

Irrelevant franchise which Dallas should not be.  RB pick doesn't change it. 

Dr. Starcs

BigSexyHog

Then followed that pick up with someone who can't even a this upcoming year......lol
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

ImHogginIt

Quote from: BigSexyHog on April 29, 2016, 09:56:53 pm
Then followed that pick up with someone who can't even a this upcoming year......lol

But can potentially be a superstar for the next decade after that  :-*

DOGALUM

Quote from: ImHogginIt on April 29, 2016, 10:01:25 pm
But can potentially be a superstar for the next decade after that  :-*
If he can ever play again.  Jury still out on that.  Could be huge but could never play a down.  Not worth a 2nd round pick to me....but I don't have a team so.......
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

ImHogginIt

Quote from: DOGALUM on April 29, 2016, 10:09:03 pm
If he can ever play again.  Jury still out on that.  Could be huge but could never play a down.  Not worth a 2nd round pick to me....but I don't have a team so.......

Cowboys surgeon did the surgery so they should know more than anyone probability of getting 100 % healthy.

pigture perfect

But the nerve has not fired yet. He was not that much better than the next guy at his position, even when healthy.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Dr. Starcs

Yeah, that's why he was the number one overall prospect according to some in the biz.

Smh.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 29, 2016, 10:59:38 pm
Yeah, that's why he was the number one overall prospect according to some in the biz.

Smh.

113 yards per game rushing/receiving - let's see how much higher he is than that - because that's what they had coming back

Dr. Starcs

I'd be willing to bet right now that 100% the running backs are more productive as a group this year.

The real key is keeping romo healthy.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Hogarusa on April 29, 2016, 01:11:53 pm

I see your math on RB numbers. But, the drop off in the passing game affected everything the Cowboys did. No Romo and no Dez—and no consistent QB replacement—doomed them. McFadden was the number 4 rusher in the League, with no passing threat and not starting the first third of the season. It's kinda hard to ask more than that from him. Numbers aside, he really looked good.

I have a friend—big Cowboy fan and season ticket holder—who even thinks McFadden not playing early may be why Romo got hurt (since DMac was a very good blocker.)

Dr. Starcs

I agree with that. Dmac can bring da wood in pass protection.

Tejano Jawg

Regarding QBs in this draft—since this was discussed a few posts up—the Cowboys DID try and move up to get Lynch, but couldn't. So Denver got him.

Then it was confirmed they were going to take Connor Cook, but Oakland took him the pick before the Cowboys. So the Cowboys took Dak Prescott later in the round (and we all know him.)

Richard_white

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 30, 2016, 10:29:33 am

The real key is keeping romo healthy.

Absolutely.  If Romo stays healthy next season we have a great shot.