Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Bat Flip to end all Bat Flips

Started by southarkhog06, October 16, 2015, 10:25:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

southarkhog06

I have been watching MLB games since '92 and I have never seen a bat flip as filthy as the Bautista flip on Wed.

The only one that comes to mind as close was a few years ago Ordonez stared down Weaver after Weaver had thrown at someones head earlier in the game.

I think this needs more discussion. What are the most wicked bat flips you guys can remember?

DiamondHogFan

It seems like the media/fans in general are making a much bigger deal about bat flips this year.  Also, was Bautista's really a flip?  I would call it a throw.  I consider a flip to be a continuation of your swinging motion after you realize you crushed the ball...one fluid motion.

Anyways...who cares how far you can throw a bat after you hit homerun?  Pitchers don't throw their gloves when they strike someone out.

clutch

Torii Hunter had a good one earlier this year.

southarkhog06

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on October 16, 2015, 10:48:55 am
It seems like the media/fans in general are making a much bigger deal about bat flips this year.  Also, was Bautista's really a flip?  I would call it a throw.  I consider a flip to be a continuation of your swinging motion after you realize you crushed the ball...one fluid motion.

Anyways...who cares how far you can throw a bat after you hit homerun?  Pitchers don't throw their gloves when they strike someone out.
If he does that in say the 3rd inning of a May game I would say its dumb, but in that game in that moment, knock yourself out big guy.

As for Pitchers Ks happen a whole lot more often than Homers, and lets say that Hamels or Dyson Ks the side after the bases get loaded in that game, you dont think they get fired up?

Dr. Starcs

Deserves to be smoked next year and will be at some point.

That whole team and city was downright classless. Hope the royals/mets/cubs take them down, but not sure any of them will.

GolfNut57

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

pigture perfect

He went from Flip to Lip tonight. Looked Silly arguing two close calls on pitches and then watches a strike down the middle for the third one. Complained all the next at bat as well.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

southarkhog06

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 16, 2015, 04:25:55 pm

That whole team and city was downright classless. Hope the royals/mets/cubs take them down, but not sure any of them will.
I never understood this mentality "That guy hurt my feelings so im gonna give his team a free base and risk seriously injuring him, getting myself tossed and possibly suspended." seems childish to me.

clutch

Quote from: southarkhog06 on October 19, 2015, 09:40:58 am
I never understood this mentality "That guy hurt my feelings so im gonna give his team a free base and risk seriously injuring him, getting myself tossed and possibly suspended." seems childish to me.

It is.

Dr. Starcs

He knew it when he did it.

Have you never watched baseball?

southarkhog06

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 19, 2015, 11:59:51 am
He knew it when he did it.

Have you never watched baseball?
He knew what???

Yes???

Dr. Starcs

He knows he will be hit because of his actions.
Happens all the time in baseball. Surprised youve never heard of it.

clutch

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 19, 2015, 02:10:02 pm

Knowing he will get hit and not agreeing with that he should get hit are two entirely different things.

Dr. Starcs

It's fine for you to disagree with it, but its not gonna change the fact that he will be hit as has been the case since I'm assuming the beginning of the game of baseball.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 19, 2015, 02:10:02 pm
Yes I am fully aware that when a pitcher feels a guy celebrated too much he either throws at him the next time he comes up or at the next batter. I am saying its childish and petulent

southarkhog06

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 19, 2015, 04:02:01 pm
It's fine for you to disagree with it, but its not gonna change the fact that he will be hit as has been the case since I'm assuming the beginning of the game of baseball.
it doesnt make it any less childish that its always been the case.

hog.goblin

If I'm a pitcher, I'm more ticked at his long watching of the home run.  Put away your camera and start taking bases son.  Like it or not, he will get plunked.

bob slydell

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 16, 2015, 04:25:55 pm

That move was so classless, the Royals should drill him for doing it to the Rangers.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

southarkhog06

I still dont understand it, in football if a receiver talks too much and a linebacker drills him over the middle: 15 yd penalty, why? because its unsafe and childish. In basketball if your Center fouls a guy to the floor cuz he is pissed off: Flagrant foul why? you guessed it childish and unsafe, but in baseball for some reason its ok to risk ending a guys career because he dared admire his go ahead, late inning home run in the deciding game of a postseason series, it only makes sense to those who consider themselves "true baseball people".

clutch

Quote from: southarkhog06 on October 26, 2015, 12:10:51 pm
I still dont understand it, in football if a receiver talks too much and a linebacker drills him over the middle: 15 yd penalty, why? because its unsafe and childish. In basketball if your Center fouls a guy to the floor cuz he is pissed off: Flagrant foul why? you guessed it childish and unsafe, but in baseball for some reason its ok to risk ending a guys career because he dared admire his go ahead, late inning home run in the deciding game of a postseason series, it only makes sense to those who consider themselves "true baseball people".

Not to all "true baseball people." I consider myself one. I coach baseball for a living and played for 19 years. I still consider it stupid, and for multiple reasons. The main one being that it can seriously injure a player. Just because you got your feelings hurt doesn't mean you should put their life on the line by throwing at their head or their career on the line by throwing at them anywhere on the body. The other reason is because it's flat out stupid to give guys free passes. "You pissed me off so I'm going to let you on base." If you're that mad, strike his tail out next time.

Dr. Starcs

Trying to compare baseball to any other sports really is apples to oranges.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 26, 2015, 04:35:40 pm
Trying to compare baseball to any other sports really is apples to oranges.
Player safety is Player safety no matter the sport. I have given plenty of reasons why it is not ok to throw at a guy so has clutch, so far the only reason you have given that its ok is that "its always been that way" and accusing me of not knowing baseball. Care to actually discuss something?

jrulz83

I don't think you show anybody up on the field. He hit a big HR, good I'm happy for him. But isn't the trot around the bases enough of showing a pitcher up? Like Lou Holtz said "act like you've been there before." The bat throw was unnecessary.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 30, 2015, 10:31:28 am
I don't think you show anybody up on the field. He hit a big HR, good I'm happy for him. But isn't the trot around the bases enough of showing a pitcher up? Like Lou Holtz said "act like you've been there before." The bat throw was unnecessary.

Pitchers are too sensitive. He hadn't been there before. Not in that big of a moment, that pressure packed situation. He was pumped. Anyone would have been pumped there. Batista is a d Bag for sure. I think that's where most the trouble is coming from. Other than that, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Dr. Starcs

Player safety huh. Guess we should just ban tackling from football since so many guys get hurt.

Now see what I mean about comparing sports?

Fact is Bautista knows the unwritten rules of baseball good and well. He will be hit and he will know why.

Good god, you act like I'm the one throwing at him.

southarkhog06

Quote from: clutch on October 30, 2015, 11:37:02 am
Pitchers are too sensitive. He hadn't been there before. Not in that big of a moment, that pressure packed situation. He was pumped. Anyone would have been pumped there. Batista is a d Bag for sure. I think that's where most the trouble is coming from. Other than that, I don't think it's that big of a deal.
That is the point im making, if a guy pisses you off ring him up and give him a few words as he walks back to the dugout. There is no logical reason to throw a 90 MPH fastball at a guys head, none at all.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on October 30, 2015, 11:37:02 am

Hitters aren't too sensitive at times when a pitcher makes a gesture after striking them out?

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 30, 2015, 01:15:01 pm
Hitters aren't too sensitive at times when a pitcher makes a gesture after striking them out?

I'm sure on occasion, but for the most part it's pitchers. But why is it okay for pitchers to do and not hitters?

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 30, 2015, 12:01:07 pm
Player safety huh. Guess we should just ban tackling from football since so many guys get hurt.

Now see what I mean about comparing sports?

Fact is Bautista knows the unwritten rules of baseball good and well. He will be hit and he will know why.

Good god, you act like I'm the one throwing at him.

You get mad, then go after the guy and fight him like a man. Don't try to take him out with a 90+ Mph projectile from 60 ft 6 inches away.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on October 30, 2015, 10:45:03 pm
I'm sure on occasion, but for the most part it's pitchers. But why is it okay for pitchers to do and not hitters?

Did I say it was okay for a pitcher to show a hitter up?

It's not okay to show anybody up or draw attention to the individual in any way in a team sport. Bautista did just that when he threw his bat. Do I think drilling him is an appropriate response? No, I don't. The appropriate response to me is to strike the offender out and get ready to face the next hitter.

Dr. Starcs

We better just start playing whiffle ball out there.

EVERY team plays with these unwritten rules. And they have ALL done so for the last several decades.

I suggest you write a letter to the commissioner voicing your concerns, rather than whine about me and anybody else on this site. He's the one that could actually do something about it.

jrulz83

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 31, 2015, 08:09:14 am
We better just start playing whiffle ball out there.

EVERY team plays with these unwritten rules. And they have ALL done so for the last several decades.

I suggest you write a letter to the commissioner voicing your concerns, rather than whine about me and anybody else on this site. He's the one that could actually do something about it.

Dr. Starcs

And Joey bats gets introduced to a 98 mph pitch to the ribs. Followed by a fist to the face by Rougie.

clutch

Odor's got a mean right hand.

And a 98 mph fastball to any part of the body is too much. If you are going to hit the guy hit him with something offspeed. It still hurts. Intentionally throwing something at somebody when you have the ability to throw 98 mph should be criminal.

Dr. Starcs

pigture perfect

Quote from: clutch on May 15, 2016, 06:47:32 pm
Odor's got a mean right hand.

And a 98 mph fastball to any part of the body is too much. If you are going to hit the guy hit him with something offspeed. It still hurts. Intentionally throwing something at somebody when you have the ability to throw 98 mph should be criminal.
its all about how mad you are. I think the Rangers were mad. Lol
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

BigSexyHog

Rangers are still crying cause they will never win anything or amount to anything.   
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Dr. Starcs

Looking at the postgame comments, it looks like the jays are the ones crying.

GolfNut57

The Bat Flip to end all Bat Flips" sees the punch to end all punches.... ;)
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

DeltaBoy

The Flip got a fat LIP!  That Ranger should moon like as a MMA fighter.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

southarkhog06

Not that I really like Bautista all that much but why is baseball the only place in life where its ok to intentionally throw something at someone that could realistically kill them, then punch them in the face, all because you got your feelings hurt. I have a great idea, instead of that lets win a playoff series.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 16, 2016, 07:08:17 am
The Bat Flip to end all Bat Flips" sees the punch to end all punches.... ;)

Odor punched better than I ever saw Floyd Mayweather punch.

Dr. Starcs

South ark I guess you'll have to ask Abner Doubleday.

Been that way for years. The jays just happen to be on the losing side this time.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 16, 2016, 03:40:24 pm

Been that way for years. The jays just happen to be on the losing side this time.
well the record book still says that they won the NLDS, what exactly did they lose or the Rangers win?
Its still friggin stupid no matter how long its been that way.

Dr. Starcs

It was obviously so important, you don't even know what it was called. NLDS???

Fact is, when you act like a fool in baseball, you pay a price. Big Bad Bautista got beat down by a 5 foot nothing middle infielder. Karma.

Now I won't go so far as to say what this does in terms of turning anyone's season around. But I guarantee you Rougned earned a ton of respect from his teammates and for the rangers fans.

Bautista didnt try in the slightest to go back for seconds Lmao.

clutch

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 16, 2016, 03:40:24 pm

Still doesn't make it right. Just because something has been done a certain way for a long time is far from the standard of what's right and wrong.

pigture perfect

Quote from: southarkhog06 on May 16, 2016, 03:48:52 pm
well the record book still says that they won the NLDS, what exactly did they lose or the Rangers win?
Its still friggin stupid no matter how long its been that way.
it would be impossible for the Blue Jays to win the NLDS. They play in The American League.

Dr. Starcs

Thats what i was getting at earlier pigture. That's how insignificant that series ended up being when kc smacked them around in the ALCS on their way to the World Series.

clutch

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 16, 2016, 07:33:24 pm
Thats what i was getting at earlier pigture. That's how insignificant that series ended up being when kc smacked them around in the ALCS on their way to the World Series.

In the grand scheme of things it was an insignificant series. At the time of that homerun, it wasn't. Homeruns don't get much bigger than that.

Dr. Starcs

Doesn't like either side is going to be persuaded to the other on this deal.

About all that needs to be said has been.

Odor is now a Ranger legend and Bautista is the same for Toronto.

We can all debate it, but Joey Battered wouldve got the same treatment from literally every other team in the league had he done the bat flip to them.

clutch

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 16, 2016, 09:07:27 pm
Doesn't like either side is going to be persuaded to the other on this deal.

About all that needs to be said has been.

Odor is now a Ranger legend and Bautista is the same for Toronto.

We can all debate it, but Joey Battered wouldve got the same treatment from literally every other team in the league had he done the bat flip to them.

I don't disagree at all on that last part. The only thing I disagree about is that it is an acceptable or even anticipated way of handling that type of situation. I don't like the fact that there are pitchers out there throwing high 90s fastballs at other batters. And I really don't like the fact that there are millions of people calling for it to be done who are sitting at home with no chance of a 90+mph messing them up.

I played in college and was hit by stuff that was in the high 80s. It hurt like a mofo. I saw a few guys that were bringing it in the mid 90s. I'm still to this day thankful that none of that stuff hit me. You'd be amazed at the difference 5-6 mph can make on a fastball just visually when you are in the box. I can only imagine that it hurts a lot more too. Anything that hits you coming your way at close to 100 mph is going to hurt badly, and possibly cause some serious harm. When pitchers start aiming at guys on purpose it's bad, period. These guys have the best control in the world, but even they miss their spots. It's a fine line between drilling someone in the hip and the ball slipping just a little and catching them in the head and turning the lights out. There's just not a place in the game for that type of stuff in my opinion. If I'm on the street and throw a rock at someone 90mph and break their ribs I'm going to get criminal charges pressed against me. Why is it acceptable to throw a hard ball at someone during a game just because they are being paid?

I think what really gets me is that I coach High School baseball. I've had numerous kids throughout the years ask me if they could drill a batter for "retaliation." It pisses me off every time because no team of mine is going to behave that way, but I know that they only think it's okay because that is what they see the big leaguer's do.