Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Running...the muscle in front of shin bone

Started by GBPackerFan, May 08, 2006, 12:56:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GBPackerFan

I recently discovered that I have shin splints.  I have been dealing with this crap for several months now and just thought that I wasn't stretching properly or something.  Anyway, I don't know if one exists, but does anyone know of a way to get over this stuff a little more quickly?  Except for taking time off.

jkstock04

Ice 'em down at night time...or whenever its convienent....and dont run on hard surfaces if you can avoid it.  They hurt like hell...I know.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Buff

yeah run on softer surfaces when possible, and if you have to run, go uphill - less impact on your shins

Buck Ocean

soccer players experience them alot...let me tell you.

Whatever leg has the pain, plant foot about 1 step behind you flat footed....toe & heel on ground....lean foward into a stable structure where you are making a 45 degree angle with the ankle and put a little pressure on it....immediately after holding that stretch for 15 seconds....lift leg off ground and point toe straight into the ground rolling your ankle in clockwize/counterclockwize motions..

I would repeat this for up to 5 minutes as many times as you want if it eases the tension.

Think like a Jedi

GBPackerFan

Alright, I have taken about a month off of running.  I have just been walking my dog around the block, but I am ready to get back in it.  Any recommendations on how to build up the strength in whatever muscles cause the pain from shin splints? 

ralphy

losing excess weight always made my shin splints go away. youll need  to run to build the necessary muscles to support your shins.     . go to a local running store and ask them if they have any shin splint wraps.  these will help with the pain while you build your strength up. as your legs grow stronger you wont need them anymore. be sure to ice them 15 minutes at a time several times a day.

also if you havent already get a gait analysis to find out what shoes you need. bad shoes could cause the problems. watch out for stress fractures. shin splints are  a warning sign.eat plenty of high calcium foods. work on your form as well because a pronounced forward lean can also irritate shin splints.

dman

stand away from a wall about arms length,"fall' into the call catching yourself with your hands, keeping your heels on the ground, push off to an upright position, 3 sets of 10 and your shin splints will go away.  I do this after running or even walking fast and it stops the pain

Idahog

September 22, 2006, 01:29:39 am #7 Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 01:38:52 am by Idahog
Long story short: 

Got back into the NG after a few years break.  Just prior to getting off of active duty I had knee surgery and afterwards wasn't able to run the same and am severely out of shape (marriage, kid, had job that traveled, and a bit of laziness were all factors as well).

Point of note: 

I have no pain in the knee during the warmer months of the year, towards fall/winter and early spring it hurts to run on, we're talking mild pain during the run in the area of the knee.

My problem:

During the hiatus I gained a lot of weight (5' 11'' from 162 to 206 in 3 years & 19.87% body fat), now when I run I develop sharp pain in my shins (thinking shin splints) and it takes a few days for the pain to clear up.  I can take motrin prior to running and often do.  Sometimes I think its just a muscle reaction in my shins and keep running on them, but the pain gets worse

My question:

What is the best way to gain endurance and speed while not aggravating the pain in my shins?  I do some training on rollerblades and that seems to help, but the cardio just doesn't feel as good as a nice run.

Thanks!

:razorback:
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

oswilliams

if you can get to a pool with laps that would be one way.

I guess a stationary bike could help too.

weevilhogg

see if you can find a trail (dirt, grass, etc --- no concrete or pavement) or maybe find a basketball court. . . anything to take a little pressure off your legs for now.

Back when I started running I was at 290 and coudn't even walk on pavement with out getting shin, knee, and ankle pain.  I ran on a trail and on a basketball court til my weight got down to where it no longer gave me knee / ankle / shin pain.

Also, drink tons of water. . . it really does wonders.
Oh my!

shanndog

September 24, 2006, 09:29:28 pm #10 Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 09:31:44 pm by shanndog
My assessment: Medial Tibia Stress Syndrome (Shin Splints)

Reasons for pain: 1. being out of shape 2. Shoes (old shoes, new shoes, not the proper shoes for your type of feet 3. running surfaces ( as noted in previous post) 3. overtraining ( ex: long distance runners, can develop stress fractures)

Treatment:  1. Proper Shoes (if you have flat feet) {called pes planus} need special shoes. Try Fleet Feet in FAy. (former U of A track athletes own and work there)
                 2. Stretching (hard to describe in writing , search internet)
                 3. Biofreeze, or Icy Hot - pre run
                 4. Post run Ice
                 5. Aleve or Advil (take on a regular bases for 10-14 days
                 6. After 10 -14 days start strengthening exercise ( use the internet)
                 7. May take 2-3 weeks to get over
                 8. See Ortho (X-ray and or bone scan - if not improving

weevilhogg

yep. . . forgot about the shoes.   I did have to buy a pair of newbalance for my running type (over pronater).
Oh my!

razorprep

Quote from: shanndog on September 24, 2006, 09:29:28 pm
My assessment: Medial Tibia Stress Syndrome (Shin Splints)

Reasons for pain: 1. being out of shape 2. Shoes (old shoes, new shoes, not the proper shoes for your type of feet 3. running surfaces ( as noted in previous post) 3. overtraining ( ex: long distance runners, can develop stress fractures)

Treatment:  1. Proper Shoes (if you have flat feet) {called pes planus} need special shoes. Try Fleet Feet in FAy. (former U of A track athletes own and work there)
                 2. Stretching (hard to describe in writing , search internet)
                 3. Biofreeze, or Icy Hot - pre run
                 4. Post run Ice
                 5. Aleve or Advil (take on a regular bases for 10-14 days
                 6. After 10 -14 days start strengthening exercise ( use the internet)
                 7. May take 2-3 weeks to get over
                 8. See Ortho (X-ray and or bone scan - if not improving

I have the same problem - shins kill me.

1.  Shoes matter!!!  About 80% of the population is moderate to severe over-pronaters.  If this is you, seek a stability shoe.  Stability shoes still have the same amount (or close to it) of cushoning as regular shoes, but prevent your arches from flatening-out as your weight transfers down your leg.  It is esp important to wear stability shoes if you are a heavy runner - like me.

2. Before you begin your runs, walk for about 3 to five minutes.  It has helped me.

3. On days you don't run, or are experiencing pain, train on an eliptical machine (cross-country skier thingy).  They are avail at gyms and allow you to get a great cardio work-out without the pounding of your body.  Caution though - there is no true substitute for running.

4. Ease back into running - losing weight will help w/the shin splints.  Now if i can just loose mine!!!

Idahog

Thanks for the advice guys.   I'll take it to the bank well, the dirt trail for now.
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

westyuark

Need help here. I've got shin splints, had them for a while, and cant seem to get rid of them. Its painful to run or jog or skip or whatever involves getting the heart rate up. Anybody have any ideas or remedies?

Amityvillehogger

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shin-splints/DS00271/DSECTION=7

Treatment
In most cases, you can treat shin splints with simple self-care steps:

Rest. Avoid activities that cause pain, swelling or discomfort — but don't give up all physical activity. While you're healing, try low-impact exercises, such as swimming, bicycling or water running. If your shin pain causes you to limp, consider using crutches until you can walk normally without pain.

Ice the affected area. Apply ice packs to the affected shin for 15 to 20 minutes at a time, four times a day for several days. To protect your skin, wrap the ice packs in a thin towel.

Reduce swelling. Elevate the affected shin above the level of your heart, especially at night. It may also help to compress the area with an elastic bandage or compression sleeve. Loosen the wrap if the pain increases, the area becomes numb or swelling occurs below the wrapped area.

Take an over-the-counter pain reliever. Try ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others), naproxen (Aleve) or aspirin to reduce pain and inflammation.

Wear proper shoes. Your doctor may recommend a shoe that's especially suited for your foot type, your stride and your particular sport.

Consider arch supports. Arch supports can help cushion and disperse stress on your shinbones. Off-the-shelf arch supports come in various sizes and can be fitted immediately. More durable arch supports can be custom-made from a plaster cast of your foot.

It's also important to resume your usual activities gradually. If your shin isn't completely healed, returning to your usual activities too quickly may only cause continued pain.

Prevention
To prevent shin splints:

Choose the right shoes. Wear footwear that suits your sport. If you're a runner, replace your shoes about every 350 to 500 miles.

Consider arch supports. Arch supports can help prevent the pain of shin splints, especially if you have flat arches.

Lessen the impact. Cross-train with a sport that places less impact on your shins, such as swimming, walking or biking. Remember to start new activities slowly. Increase time and intensity gradually.

Add strength training to your workout. To strengthen your shins, try toe raises. Stand up. Slowly rise up on your toes, then slowly lower your heels to the floor. Repeat 10 times. When this becomes easy, do the exercise holding progressively heavier weights. Leg presses and other exercises for your lower legs can be helpful, too.

It's also important to know when to rest. At the first sign of shin pain, take a break.

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

RazorWeevil

The best remedy is rest.  As an avid runner, I get them occasionally & usually take 4-5 days off to let it heal.  Your body will tell you when it's ok to run/jog.  I have very high arches & recently bought some Nike Shox Lasers.  Bad idea.  They were the absolute least comfortable shoe for my foot style & gave me shin splints at the 1/2 mile mark.  Correct shoes are also critically important.  I love adidas. 
Insanity is hereditary.  I got mine from my kids.

PlayCallinBrotha

If your near NWA go to Fleet Feet in Fayetteville. They watch you walk and measure to feet to find the perfect shoe for you. They also have some great products to cure shin splints.

westyuark

Thanks for the answers. I think I'll try the Fleet Feet store in Fayetteville.

Arkapigdiesel

What can I do to keep that muscle in front of my shin bone from burning like hell once I'm running.  Mind you, it's not shin splints.  It feels like what your muscles do when it's being worked hard....it burns.

Is it just a matter of conditioning the muscle?

I'm been back running now for three weeks and my endurance is good but that damn muscle burns like hades when I start getting to the 2 mile mark.  It stinks that I can't keep up the pace because of the muscle burn.

Is that normal for someone just getting back into running?
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

Milton

I was gonna say stretch it but your going two miles before it hurts so that's not the problem. I wish there was more i could say to help but I have no clue on it.
Quote from: Douglas on December 04, 2012, 06:23:54 pm
We've had it with 1 hit wonders coming in, making posts reeking of wanton jackwagonry and then not doing anything about it.

Arkapigdiesel

I adjusted my running style yesterday and the muscle never bothered me.  Must be my form.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

Milton

That's good, let us know if it starts hurting again
Quote from: Douglas on December 04, 2012, 06:23:54 pm
We've had it with 1 hit wonders coming in, making posts reeking of wanton jackwagonry and then not doing anything about it.

DoggtownHog

That's what I was gonna suggest. Change your style/stride. Occassionally, for no apparent reason, my shin muscles will tighten up. I change my stride and it goes away. Also check into tying your shoes with a different lacing pattern. Whatever works for you is the answer. Everyones body is so individual that broad answers don't always help. Keep running.

PS- If it continues, changing shoes is another option that makes a big difference for some people.
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

Silver Hog

I had the same issue, and the physical therapist suggested I run on grass/sand for a few days/weeks.  I had been doing a lot of treadmill running and something I was doing there was not good for my shins, and hard pavement was not good either.

SILK PURSE

On the dark days, I sit in a dimly lit alcove crushing up 250mg Nuvigil tablets and knitting tiny pink practice jerseys for Mr. Whiskers.  Then I think of the Herringboner Series--back to back fake punt calls in the 2008 Cotton Bowl.  Soon, shrill peals of laughter echo out the window and across the courtyard.

Hogbody

I just thought I'd say...I hate shin splints.

I dont think i've ever had what you got, but shin splints are the devil.

Worse than side stiches even...ugh

BigSexyHog

A couple of months ago I started a post about shin splints.  Well I had to take a pretty extended break from working out because of work (travel) and being lazy and about 1 1/2 months ago started working out again.  They last 3 weeks have been pretty good workouts.  Spent the first couple of weeks just to get my body in the groove again.  I can't shake these GD shin splints to save my life.  I have dropped about 6 pds but most of that is because of just working out.  I have seen a change in my upper body and have increase my weights quite a bit but I am about ready to give up on trying to run.  I hate it cause I need to run for what I am trying to get into.  If I can't I am royally screwed for a upcoming job I am trying to get.  I am going to try and get some inserts and new shoes and might try and go to a foot doctor but I don't have insurance so it is going to cost me a crap load of money which I don't have.  Really frustrated about the entire situation.  Damn they are painful.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

AFWarrior83

October 25, 2011, 06:12:40 am #28 Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:17:00 am by AFWarrior83
Quote from: BigSexyHog on October 24, 2011, 10:08:43 pm
A couple of months ago I started a post about shin splints.  Well I had to take a pretty extended break from working out because of work (travel) and being lazy and about 1 1/2 months ago started working out again.  They last 3 weeks have been pretty good workouts.  Spent the first couple of weeks just to get my body in the groove again.  I can't shake these GD shin splints to save my life.  I have dropped about 6 pds but most of that is because of just working out.  I have seen a change in my upper body and have increase my weights quite a bit but I am about ready to give up on trying to run.  I hate it cause I need to run for what I am trying to get into.  If I can't I am royally screwed for a upcoming job I am trying to get.  I am going to try and get some inserts and new shoes and might try and go to a foot doctor but I don't have insurance so it is going to cost me a crap load of money which I don't have.  Really frustrated about the entire situation.  Damn they are painful.

I've experienced shin splints, they suck! Try to change your running style. I took a running class and found out that most people who get shin splints are either running too long or too hard. When I say hard, I mean that you should really tippy toe when you land your foot (on the ball towards the front of your foot) not slap it on the ground. Checkout a youtube running technique video. Also, try changing your running shoes. There are three main types: stability, motion control, and high arch. The military has performed a lot of interesting studies on injuries sustained by running.

Good luck with your training!

P.S. Ice down the front of your legs after running, and stretch out, it helps. The only way to get rid of them though are to take about a month off from running.
Hogville member since 2005.

irishhoss

I was training for a 5k and began to have shin splints pretty bad. I bought some Brooks Beast shoes and haven't had any problems since. I ran the 5k two weeks ago and my legs felt fine the entire race.

I began running about a year ago at 315 pounds. I took it really slow and did more elliptical machine training than actual jogging. When I began jogging outside regularly, that's when my shins began to give me problems. I did the "Couch to 5K" program and after I bought the new shoes, I had no problems with my shins. I ran the 5k two weeks ago at 260 pounds (which is still way too heavy for my frame) in 37:42. My goal was to do it in under 50:00.
You could have it all, my empire of dirt.
I will let you down, I will make you hurt.

DeltaBoy

PM Momster she's got a complete anti shin splint program she will give you.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbcarol

Duck walk: Walk on a flat surface on your heels until it burns but in the opposite way of your shin splint.

And rest from your regular routine.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

hilljack

Some good advice above.  Don't let shin splints discourage you, all runners will get them at some point.  Shoes are a big player as many have mentioned.  I had a physical therapist recommend an orthotic shoe insert and those worked wonders.  Rest, ice, stretch and anti-inflammatories until the pain goes away.  Once you're pain free, you'll want to work on strengthening the tibalius muscles.  Runners tend to do a lot of work to strengthen the glutes, quads and calf muscles and neglect the front and side of the lower legs.  check out https://recoverathletics.com/.  they have some good workouts that are geared toward runners and can help you address all kinds of running related injuries.

hawgrunner

Quote from: jbcarol on April 17, 2021, 11:44:55 amDuck walk: Walk on a flat surface on your heels until it burns but in the opposite way of your shin splint.

And rest from your regular routine.

This worked for me.

jumpinjohogsaphat

Physical therapist here.

Looks like you have been given good advice.  One thing I see in some patients is overly tight  gastroc/soleus (calf muscles).  The muscle's purpose on the front of the shin (anterior tibialis) is to lift the front of the foot to prevent you from tripping.  That small muscle has very little strength when pulling against a very strong calf muscle.  When the shin muscle contracts, the calf has to stretch.  Its like a tug of war between David and Goliath. So be sure to stretch the calf with knee straight and knee bent to isolate both the gastroc and soleus muscles separately. 

Also, if you are a runner making initial contact on your heels, your are more prone to have shin splints. Landing should be more foot flat and some runners even land on the forefoot. When you land on your heel, that small muscle on the front has to control the forefoot back down to earth (eccentric contraction).  Think about walking down stairs or down hill. Your quads have to lower your down in a controlled manner making the muscle work harder. That small muscle on the front of the shin has to control a lot of weight back down to earth when you incorporate your momentum, body weight, etc. So landing foot flat or on the forefoot actually takes a large amount of stress/strain out.

Not saying that either of these are your fix but sometimes the simple things get overlooked.

bennyl08

Quote from: GBPackerFan on May 08, 2006, 12:56:45 pmI recently discovered that I have shin splints.  I have been dealing with this crap for several months now and just thought that I wasn't stretching properly or something.  Anyway, I don't know if one exists, but does anyone know of a way to get over this stuff a little more quickly?  Except for taking time off.

Don't heel strike when you run. Ideally go for a mid-foot strike. I used to get a lot of shin splints until I changed my stride. That single change took away soo much pain and discomfort all up and down my body when running.

Secondly, do some tibialis raises. Basically the opposite of a calf raise. This literally builds the muscle on the front of the shin bone which largely acts as decelerator each time your foot lands. Most people don't ever really work out that muscle. Check out "kneesovertoesguy" on youtube for some good stuff on that exercise and other reasons why you should do it.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

diehardrbackfan

Quote from: GBPackerFan on May 08, 2006, 12:56:45 pmI recently discovered that I have shin splints.  I have been dealing with this crap for several months now and just thought that I wasn't stretching properly or something.  Anyway, I don't know if one exists, but does anyone know of a way to get over this stuff a little more quickly?  Except for taking time off.

That's probably your body's way of telling you to take it easy. If you eat more food, your body should be able to handle more stress. When things start hurting, I think that's usually a pretty good indicator to stop.