Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Black Eyed Peas for New Years???

Started by BR, December 30, 2010, 07:23:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 30, 2015, 04:44:34 pm
That dish sure looks good, Hog Swanson.
That's BR's picture.  I'm putting it all together tonight and leave it on low all night.  Gonna be good.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

PorkRinds

Tomorrow's menu will be smothered pork chops with rice, collard greens, whippoorwill peas, hot water cornbread, fried okra/potatoes, pickled hot and sweet peppers, and banana pudding for dessert.

DeltaBoy

Blackeyed peas witch bacon bits, and  Cornbread .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

HawgWild

Got my dried peas out this morning. I'll rinse them off and then soak overnight in vegetable broth before cooking them up tomorrow with skillet corn bread cooked on the cook top and green onions.

ricepig

Black eyed peas, cabbage, and corn bread for lunch tomorrow.

BR

Quote from: ricepig on December 31, 2016, 07:10:20 pm
Black eyed peas, cabbage, and corn bread for lunch tomorrow.
I wish we was going to have Cabbage, but I'm the only one that would eat it.. Thats why we do spinach.

ricepig

Quote from: BR on December 31, 2016, 07:25:09 pm
I wish we was going to have Cabbage, but I'm the only one that would eat it.. Thats why we do spinach.

You would be the only one eating the spinach at my house, too.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

DeltaBoy

Quote from: BR on December 30, 2010, 07:23:13 pm
Black Eyed Peas for New Years???  Who Does them??

What do serve with them???

We have fried taters, jalepino  sweet cornbread...
Yes with Greens
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

BR

HawgWild

For sure! Peas with a dollop of good, hot Chow Chow, and skillet cornbread for starters. Then, watch the Hogs in a bowl game. Wait a minute, maybe next year?

ricepig

Quote from: BR on December 18, 2017, 04:28:21 pm
Almost time for these again
You know, you can eat them on other days.....

BR

Quote from: ricepig on December 18, 2017, 05:22:03 pm
You know, you can eat them on other days.....
yep, but we eat them the first week of the year then I'm good...   

ricepig

Quote from: BR on December 18, 2017, 08:05:28 pm
yep, but we eat them the first week of the year then I'm good...   

So, your luck has been good all year? I eat them on the 1st, maybe some leftovers on the 2nd, and a time or two during the year. But then again, my luck pretty much sucked this year, haha.

BR

Quote from: ricepig on December 18, 2017, 08:21:36 pm
So, your luck has been good all year? I eat them on the 1st, maybe some leftovers on the 2nd, and a time or two during the year. But then again, my luck pretty much sucked this year, haha.
cant complain, life has been good for the most part.   so blessed.

DeltaBoy

I got the hambone in the freezer for New Years.  :)

ricepig

Quote from: BR on December 19, 2017, 04:47:32 am
cant complain, life has been good for the most part.   so blessed.

I can't complain either, besides the football record......

VictoryRedChevy

We do this every New Year. Black eyed peas, hog jowl and some type of green.

Cornbread and fried taters just make it better!

DeltaBoy

Time to get the Crock pot out!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 19, 2017, 09:55:36 am
I got the hambone in the freezer for New Years.  :)

Got it out in the icebox

BR

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 30, 2017, 03:36:09 pm
We are having another round of BR's wonderful concoction this New Year's Day!  We do not have a hambone but we did find a nice Petit Jean pepper ham.  Also we are using BEP and Purple Hulls..
Thanks for the Kind words...

DeltaBoy

Put the peas on to soak over night and will set it to cooking about 8pm Sunday night.

go hogues

Mine are great. Just finished a big bowl with some jalapeño cornbread.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

DeltaBoy

New Years Black eyed peas are done

Minus the tomatoes or Rotel cause my daughter still allergic to them.

DeltaBoy

BR

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 01, 2018, 11:53:11 am

Delta,

I'm curious about this photo - why is there what appears to be plastic wrap around your BEP's?  Was this photo of your leftovers prior to placing in the refrigerator?
crock pot liner, I won't use them.. 

Großer Kriegschwein

I cook mine on the stovetop. Only takes an hour or so and don't think I need to waste time with a slow cooker.

Went simple this year. Dried peas, water, salt, pepper, olive oil, bourbon maple seasoning, chicken stock cube. Once the peas were about 3/4 the way done, I added some thick sliced smoked green onion sausage. Finished it well.

Sliced some thick jowl bacon, fried in pan, finished in oven, perfect.

Cornbread turned out better than I thought it would. Ended up being the surprise MVP today.

All in all, momma was happy.

This is my non-signature signature.

BR

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on January 01, 2018, 04:33:02 pm
I cook mine on the stovetop. Only takes an hour or so and don't think I need to waste time with a slow cooker.

Went simple this year. Dried peas, water, salt, pepper, olive oil, bourbon maple seasoning, chicken stock cube. Once the peas were about 3/4 the way done, I added some thick sliced smoked green onion sausage. Finished it well.

Sliced some thick jowl bacon, fried in pan, finished in oven, perfect.

Cornbread turned out better than I thought it would. Ended up being the surprise MVP today.

All in all, momma was happy.

that's all that counts, Happy New Year

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 01, 2018, 06:02:47 pm
Sounds like a great day, Grober. Hope you enjoyed it!

Got to watch Georgia end Mayfield's college career properly.

Those two tailbacks are fun to watch and that mike linebacker is the truth. Good game.
This is my non-signature signature.

Boarcephus

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 30, 2017, 03:36:09 pm
We are having another round of BR's wonderful concoction this New Year's Day!  We do not have a hambone but we did find a nice Petit Jean pepper ham.  Also we are using BEP and Purple Hulls..

That has to be one of the prettiest dishes I've seen.  I may use the recipe to do beans in but after trying black eyed peas about every which way I know, I've decided I just don't like them. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Boarcephus

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 01, 2018, 12:43:14 pm
Ah - thanks BR.  I have never seen those either. 

I've always called them "crockpot condoms" and they are are great if you do something like cheese dip or something that is hard to get off.  I don't use them for beans but they make cleanup a breeze. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 01, 2018, 11:53:11 am

Delta,

I'm curious about this photo - why is there what appears to be plastic wrap around your BEP's?  Was this photo of your leftovers prior to placing in the refrigerator?

Crock pot liner the wife loves them.

DeltaBoy

Shoot I about ready to make this again during Spring Break.

BR

Almost time to start on my New Years Black Eyed Peas and Ham Hocks. With Fried Taters...  Anyone else do this???  How do you cook yours?

BR's Easy Crock-Pot Black Eye Peas...
6 cans Black Eye Peas
2 cans Rotel
2 Red Onions Diced
1 Green & Red & Yellow Peppers diced ( I love all the colors)
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper flakes
1 Tablespoon Cajun Seasoning ( I use Slap yo Mama)
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons brown sugar
Some Garlic (I use a big heaping spoonful of the diced garlic)
1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
Some Ham Hocks or Ham.  1 pound at least (I cook a Christmas Ham, save ALL juices to add to Crock Pot) you can also throw some Bacon in there....... Put however as much as you want
2 cans Chicken or Ham Stock
If you need more Liquid you can add more stock.

Throw everything in crock pot. Cook on low for at least 8 hours, I cook mine overnight.
Serve with some Fried Taters, Spinach and some Jalapeno Sweet Cornbread.

BR

Hot and Spicy Black-Eyed Peas

Hot and Spicy Black-Eyed Peas are a popular New Years dish. These black-eyed peas have lots of smokiness from bacon and a little liquid smoke plus some heat from a jalapeno and chili powder.

Course: Side Dish
Cuisine: Southern
Servings: 8
Ingredients
3 slices bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green or red bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, finely chopped
1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
2 (15.8-ounce) cans black-eyed peas
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Instructions

Cook the bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove and set aside.
Leave the bacon grease in the skillet and add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno. Cook 2 to 3 minutes to soften.
Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.

PharmacistHog

That first one looks REALLY good.  We usually cook pork jowl and try to do some kind of black eyed peas.  Might be trying your recipe. 
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

go hogues

Quote from: BR on December 26, 2018, 01:03:10 pm
Almost time to start on my New Years Black Eyed Peas and Ham Hocks. With Fried Taters...  Anyone else do this???  How do you cook yours?
My recipe:
-Fill large pot about 1/3 full of water and salt the water liberally.
-Cut 4 strips of bacon into inchlong pieces and add to the water.
-Cover and bring to a rolling boil.
-Add two bags of frozen black eye or purple hull peas and bring to a boil.

We like ours mushy, so I'll continue to boil on high heat for an hour, then turn to low for a few hours, stirring occasionally.

I usually cook medium grain rice in chicken broth, garlic and black pepper and we serve the peas over the rice. I love this dish and make it throughout the year.

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Boarcephus

I'm with black eyed peas like I am with fish, wish there was some way I could cook either of them so they don't taste like fish or black eyed peas.   I'll throw some hog jowl and a few spices in them and eat what I can. 

HawgWild

I'm mixing my BEPs in with some Purple Hull Peas. I've had trouble finding Chow Chow lately. I picked up a jar at the Oark General Store last week. I like my peas and skillet corn bread with a little kick.

twistitup

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 31, 2018, 05:16:51 pm
Holy Cow! I stopped by the store on the way home to purchase a red pepper or two.....What is up with the price jump in red peppers?

Nobody to pick them anymore...
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

oldman1015

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 31, 2018, 05:16:51 pm
Holy Cow! I stopped by the store on the way home to purchase a red pepper or two.....What is up with the price jump in red peppers?
Its the pepper tariff.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

DeltaBoy

I made BR'S black eyed peas with Onion and Bell pepper, I dosed it well with Slap ya Momma Cajun seasoning. A skittet of Jiffey Corn bread and we are well!

Boarcephus

Finally found a way we liked.  Cooked my BEP in a beef bone broth with smoked hawg jowls and Zatarains Cajun seasoning. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 02, 2019, 01:40:04 pm
Finally found a way we liked.  Cooked my BEP in a beef bone broth with smoked hawg jowls and Zatarains Cajun seasoning. 

That will make a puppy pull a Freight Train!