Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

McPherson: 2019 big man Raymond Hawkins interested in Hogs, has ties to Arkansas

Started by Jason Carroll, December 20, 2018, 09:59:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Carroll

LITTLE ROCK -- His recruitment may be wide open right now, but 2019 Raymond Hawkins (6-10, 230, forward / center, Findlay Prep in Las Vegas, Oakland Soldiers on the Nike EYBL circuit) said his family ties to Arkansas and a budding relationship with the Razorbacks coaching staff are both positives as he moves forward in the recruiting process.

"I'm very interested (in Arkansas)," said Hawkins, adding that the Hogs have been recruiting him for about a month. "My grandfather was born in Little Rock, and I've got family that lives there. I'm building a relationship with (Arkansas assistant coach Scotty) Thurman, it's an SEC school, their players are gritty, and they have a player there (freshman Reggie Chaney) who played at Findlay."

Thurman -- he's Hawkins' lead recruiter -- and Arkansas associate head coach Melvin Watkins were on hand Thursday night as Hawkins scored 12 points in Findlay Prep's 72-64 win over Trinity International at the prestigious Tarkanian Classic in Las Vegas.

For more from Kevin click the link below:

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig-trail-nation/2019-big-man-raymond-hawkins-interested-in-hogs-has-ties-to-arkansas/1669920845

Pumbaa

Hawkins and Gueye are the two on my wish list to finish out this '19 class.

MakingPlays

Quote from: Pumbaa on December 20, 2018, 11:01:38 pm
Hawkins and Gueye are the two on my wish list to finish out this '19 class.

Yea after watching Hawkins highlights, I like him the most out of the high school big men we're looking at, he has an edge to his game and plays with passion.  Also might be the most polished as far as an inside game among all the other big men.  Another thing to note about him, he looks like he's a little bit out of shape, once he gets on campus, he's the type of guy a college weight program can completely transform his body, kinda like what happened with Mason Jones.

My list of the current forwards we're looking at would be...

1. Doudou Gueye
2. Raymond Hawkins
3. Mahamadou Diawara
4. Demontay Dixon
5. Dischon Thomas
6. Jayln McCreary

Kevin McPherson

* Check out '19 Arkansas recruit Raymond Hawkins @raymondhawkiins (6-10 F/C, Findlay Prep via Oakland, CA) in action Thurs night at Tarkanian Classic in Las Vegas w/Hog coaches watching ... Hawkins holds offers from Kansas St, St. John's, DePaul, Nevada, UNLV, Wyoming, & others ...

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/1075999324989997056

husker71

In the recruiting game Nevada is starting to get stronger and stronger.  Any of you guys know any of his assistants cause I sure dont.  Normally I know at least one of them by reputation but not for the Wolfpack except for Rex Walters and I dont think he recruits.  Speaking of assistants I wonder why Alford (who I like actually) replaced David Grace with Murray Bartow.  Grace was immediately hired by Wyking Jones and Cal and that is a program I think will get better and better.

hogwood

He passes the eye test for me. Watched some other highlights when he was first mentioned and I thought he looked skilled then too. The Findlay/Chaney connection seems promising. Looks like a player who could really come on and blossom with a summer of conditioning like MP said.

batmanfan

Did our coaches really tell this kid that he reminded them of Darnell Robinson? A player this guy would obviously have no clue about? Haha. Seems like you would want to sell him up a little more than that.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

hogwood

Quote from: batmanfan on December 21, 2018, 01:39:58 pm
Did our coaches really tell this kid that he reminded them of Darnell Robinson? A player this guy would obviously have no clue about? Haha. Seems like you would want to sell him up a little more than that.

Robinson was a MCDAA. Just tell him that part and it's not so bad. At least Scotty played with him and can say I won a championship with that guy, giving some reference to what he brought to the program.

Swinesong1

Quote from: hogwood on December 21, 2018, 02:41:46 pm
Robinson was a MCDAA. Just tell him that part and it's not so bad. At least Scotty played with him and can say I won a championship with that guy, giving some reference to what he brought to the program.
And the fact that they're from the same area may have something to do with them invoking Robinson's name.  Robinson was a high school legend.  When he left high school, no player who had ever played high school ball in the state of California had scored more points them him.  I see nothing wrong with the coaches using his name.

Razorod

Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

MakingPlays

Quote from: Razorod on December 21, 2018, 05:06:27 pm
Good article from a non-Arkansas source: https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Tark-Classic-Available-2019-recruit-Raymond-Hawkins-emerges-126733567/

Notice at the bottom, speaks to some of the things Kevin has mentioned.

Nice find Razor, that was a really good article.  I'm really like our possibilities in the fall, seems like we're in the driver seat with most of these guys and have some nice options.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Swinesong1 on December 21, 2018, 02:44:46 pm
And the fact that they're from the same area may have something to do with them invoking Robinson's name.  Robinson was a high school legend.  When he left high school, no player who had ever played high school ball in the state of California had scored more points them him.  I see nothing wrong with the coaches using his name.

I agree. Use every advantage you can. Besides we need some toughness too. If any of you have ever been to Oaktown, you know they are hard core. Emeryville and Oaktown definitely share boarders so yeah talk up DR an his role with the '94 Championship Team. Expand that recruiting net...plenty of good players here.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: batmanfan on December 21, 2018, 01:39:58 pm

See below ... and see below again ... DR also came out after his junior season and was selected in the 2nd round of the NBA Draft, another selling point even if it is a minor one ...

Quote from: hogwood on December 21, 2018, 02:41:46 pm

hogwood

Quote from: Razorod on December 21, 2018, 05:06:27 pm
Good article from a non-Arkansas source: https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Tark-Classic-Available-2019-recruit-Raymond-Hawkins-emerges-126733567/

Notice at the bottom, speaks to some of the things Kevin has mentioned.

Those are some nice quotes from a priority prospect. It seems he values the staffs approach, which is huge. I think it's a great approach personally, but I can see why some kids wouldn't go for it. They want the instant gratification of an offer, which puts the ball in their court and not the coaches.

I really like this Hawkins kid. I think he could really come on and be a great player for us. I hope we offer him when he visits in Jan or Feb and close the deal.

I also really like how Scotty is getting in at Findlay. He went out there and got Chaney for us, now this kid is talking us up. Great job, that school can produce!

It does seem like we are in good with these 2 new prep prospects. Hope we don't wait too long to take advantage of that. It seems Franklin is waiting on us as well. Seems the staff just needs to get a better feel for Gueye, then maybe in February we can get some commitments after some visits.

Kevin McPherson

Tweet with video highlight reel (linked below) of Dischon Thomas and Hillcrest Prep defeating Raymond Hawkins and Findlay Prep, 60-51, on Friday in the Tarkanian Classic National division title game ...

* Highlights of '19 Arkansas targets Dischon Thomas @DischonT (6-9 F, Hillcrest Prep) & Raymond Hawkins @raymondhawkiins (6-10 F/C, Findlay Prep) matching up Fri at Tarkanian Classic title gm. Thomas w/18 pts (5-6 FGs & 8-8 FTs) & 9 rb ... Hawkins w/8 pts (3-4 FGs & 2-4 FTs) & 6 rb

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/1076709844961427456

Dominicanhog

Looks like raw power.. he'd be a nice piece in the post.... I like him and Thomas both.. find a way to bring them both on board...

mhuff

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 23, 2018, 01:46:34 pm
Looks like raw power.. he'd be a nice piece in the post.... I like him and Thomas both.. find a way to bring them both on board...

Thomas line looks really like money to me. FT  shooting is important

azhog10

Would take Hawkins over Thomas. Thomas played well against Hawkins head to head. We played Findlay Prep and him and PJ Fuller are their best players. Hawkins has a bigger ceiling.

Razorod

Quote from: azhog10 on December 27, 2018, 11:17:56 pm
Would take Hawkins over Thomas. Thomas played well against Hawkins head to head. We played Findlay Prep and him and PJ Fuller are their best players. Hawkins has a bigger ceiling.
Thanks a bunch azhog. Given the gist of the interviews and tone, it seems like Hawkins is the more likely to receive an offer.

Wonder if an offer to either or both players hinges on Gueye's decision? Or would they take both?

Still curious as to Franklin's recruitment as well.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

The_Iceman

Give me some Raymond Hawkins right now! He is the type of muscle we need inside. He and Chaney would be a nice 6'8" duo at the 4/5 spot. Combining skills, strength, and athleticism.

hogwood

Quote from: Razorod on December 28, 2018, 06:31:31 am
Thanks a bunch azhog. Given the gist of the interviews and tone, it seems like Hawkins is the more likely to receive an offer.

Wonder if an offer to either or both players hinges on Gueye's decision? Or would they take both?

Still curious as to Franklin's recruitment as well.

Would love if they take Gueye as a 3/4, Hawkins as a 4/5, and Franklin as a 3/4.

Imagining a crazy versatile lineup of forwards on the floor at the same time such as; 1) Chaney, Gueye, and Franklin or 2) Hawkins, Chaney, Gueye or... The possibilities are endless when you factor in Osa, Bailey, and Henderson. Then we'd have a great choice of guards as well: Jones, Joe, Harris, Embery-Simpson, Sills, Hill.

The lineups are endless... That would be a super deep team. I hope the staff makes it happen somehow.

Paul

Paul

Tank & Lee Wilson were a big part of why we won our NC.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Paul on December 28, 2018, 03:20:07 pm
Tank & Lee Wilson were a big part of why we won our NC.

Wilson got hurt early in the season and want really a factor after that

Swinesong1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on December 28, 2018, 03:39:10 pm
Wilson got hurt early in the season and want really a factor after that
Are you sure?  I think he played a lot of games.  I also remember him having a pretty good game against Tulsa in the tourney.

Hogimus Prime

Tank and Wilson were both hurt early in the year.  Both were out against Tulsa in December.  Tank played more minutes a game than Willson but both played every game they wete healthy.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: hogwood on December 28, 2018, 08:56:05 am
Would love if they take Gueye as a 3/4, Hawkins as a 4/5, and Franklin as a 3/4.

Imagining a crazy versatile lineup of forwards on the floor at the same time such as; 1) Chaney, Gueye, and Franklin or 2) Hawkins, Chaney, Gueye or... The possibilities are endless when you factor in Osa, Bailey, and Henderson. Then we'd have a great choice of guards as well: Jones, Joe, Harris, Embery-Simpson, Sills, Hill.

The lineups are endless... That would be a super deep team. I hope the staff makes it happen somehow.

That's taking a scholarship for a VERY DEEP 2020 class.... If your going to have certain player's transfer out that are not getting PT (not going to say names) this year save it for 2020. 

Arkansas has a very serious shot at signing (1) PF Chris Moore (2) PG Gerald Doakes (3) SG Bryce Thompson & (4) C Jaylin Williams

Bonus: SF Moses Moody
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Iceman

Really wish this kid would get an offer soon.  He is exactly what we need.

Atlhogfan1

Darnell hated it at Arkansas and somewhat regretted coming.  Not sure how he feels now.  May not be the good connection some of you thought. 

A story from 2001 that explains it some:
https://www.sfgate.com/preps/article/Professional-Vagabond-NBA-eludes-state-s-2906453.php
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

revolution

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 04, 2019, 09:08:53 am
Darnell hated it at Arkansas and somewhat regretted coming.  Not sure how he feels now.  May not be the good connection some of you thought. 

A story from 2001 that explains it some:
https://www.sfgate.com/preps/article/Professional-Vagabond-NBA-eludes-state-s-2906453.php

That's a sad story about a young man who may have squandered his potential and opportunity.  Hopefully, the Tank has gone on to live a fulfilled life.  I believe that Hog fans will be forever grateful for his significant contribution to the 1994 National Championship team.

hogwood

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 04, 2019, 09:02:20 am
Really wish this kid would get an offer soon.  He is exactly what we need.

Supposedly he's going to visit sometime in January or February. He will probably get an offer in person at that time.

Hawg Red

I only want the coaches to sign 1 big man in the spring. That's it. Don't sign anyone else who has eligibility beyond the 2019-2020 season. I don't care if they sit on the scholarships. If we have a couple transfer, we have guys not playing now that can get those minutes and we have a 6'8 walk-on redshirt right now that damn well better be able to step in for spot minutes if needed. The 2020 class is too good to compromise with spring signings for 2019. But obviously they have to go get a big that will take Gafford's scholarship (Hill taking Garland's scholarship).

Kevin McPherson

* '19 Raymond Hawkins @raymondhawkiins (6-10 F/C, Findlay Prep) is reporting an Arkansas offer tonight ... linked is my recent story on him ... Hogs assoc HC Melvin Watkins & asst coach Scotty Thurman saw him play recently at Tarkanian Classic in Las Vegas!

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/1082851096186503168

hawgfan4life

MakingPlays

The_Iceman

Quote from: MakingPlays on January 08, 2019, 11:14:55 pm
Here's a full game of him playing from a few days ago if anyone wants to check him out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45JGT4sxWSI

Would definitely contribute at Center next year. Hope we land him.

hogwood

outlawhogeywells

Another link to him is Chaney.  they played together at Findley prep. 

hogwood

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on January 10, 2019, 01:51:13 pm
Another link to him is Chaney.  they played together at Findley prep.

I don't think they actually played together. This is Hawkins' first year there so I think they never overlapped. But I'm sure they have many mutual friends.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 29, 2018, 09:09:26 pm
That's taking a scholarship for a VERY DEEP 2020 class.... If your going to have certain player's transfer out that are not getting PT (not going to say names) this year save it for 2020. 

Arkansas has a very serious shot at signing (1) PF Chris Moore (2) PG Gerald Doakes (3) SG Bryce Thompson & (4) C Jaylin Williams

Bonus: SF Moses Moody

I see 3 this year and 3 next... Hill, Franklin and Hawkins?   with Moore, Thompson and Williams in 2020....

not naming name but  Gafford/Garland/Phillips for this year and after next year... Bailey, Ibby and Henderson...