Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gonna be interesting to see

Started by lumphog, December 10, 2017, 08:55:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lumphog

a0ashle

greenie

He'll be playing on the offensive line next year.  I don't see another position for him...unless CCM creates a "Super Steamboat" package.

lumphog

I have NO idea, but it's going to be telling about the former coach

lakecityhog

He is a senior so I doubt he moves to another position. Maybe with a simplified blocking scheme he can be a bulldozer for us.

a0ashle

Quote from: lumphog on December 10, 2017, 09:20:44 am
I have NO idea, but it's going to be telling about the former coach

So this makes it seem like you want him to be moved so it makes Bielema look bad.

There is absolutely no reason to move Froholdt.

duckman

He isn't moving...  He was our best OL after Ragnow went out.

PorcineSublime

From what I have read from some of the various sites, he is pretty well regarded as an OL (I read one item that called him the second best lineman behind Ragnow). With an OL coach that can teach him some better technique he might actually be special.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

DOGALUM

He is a dominant lineman.  Way too much was made over a few blown assignments.   He's also a freak athlete for someone of his size.  Bright future for Hjalte. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

EastTNHog

BigE_23

I'm more interested in what happens with Merrick, Wallace, and the other 4* recruits that had difficulty getting on the field over freshman walkons. That will tell more about the previous staff than anything.

Tim Harris

Have people actually looked at our depth on the OL?  We don't have the bodies to be moving people out of that group.

jjdlc

Quote from: DOGALUM on December 10, 2017, 09:40:35 am
He is a dominant lineman.  Way too much was made over a few blown assignments.   He's also a freak athlete for someone of his size.  Bright future for Hjalte.

This, he should be a tremendous asset on next year's line.

King Kong

I don't expect many changes in personal at the Oline this up coming year.

I also don't expect them to jack around Brian Wallace like the previous staff did.

jgphillips3

Quote from: BigE_23 on December 10, 2017, 09:41:58 am
I'm more interested in what happens with Merrick, Wallace, and the other 4* recruits that had difficulty getting on the field over freshman walkons. That will tell more about the previous staff than anything.

This is what I really want to see as well.

rzrbk4life

This is what I'll be looking for as well
Let's call those hogs!!!!

King Kong

Quote from: Tim Harris on December 10, 2017, 09:43:04 am
Have people actually looked at our depth on the OL?  We don't have the bodies to be moving people out of that group.

It's really pathetic. Major work is needed for 2019

menace_hawg3

I imagine some weight loss and a simplified blocking scheme working wonders for these guys. Bret had these guys playing well beyond their natural weight. Too bulky and slow.

Peter Porker

Quote from: lumphog on December 10, 2017, 08:55:06 am
what CCM does with Froholdt

Lol he's a highly regarded guard. That's his position.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

The NewEra

Froholdt will thrive in this offense.  Remember him pulling as lead blocker on many of the screens?  He's smart, strong, fast agile and quick for such a big guy.

Reference the other linemen in general.  I suspect their performance next year will force the Bielema's staff to hire lawyers as the UofA goes after them trying to get a refund.   ;)

There's a lot more talent at the O-Line position than what was on display.

duckman

Next season I have a suspicion we are going to find out just how poorly our team has been coached the last two years.  We are not as devoid of talent as many think...

jgphillips3

Quote from: duckman on December 10, 2017, 10:07:31 am
Next season I have a suspicion we are going to find out just how poorly our team has been coached the last two years.  We are not as devoid of talent as many think...

If I remember the stat correctly, we have more 4 star talent on the team than all but 5 other SEC teams.  I think there are going to be some pleasant surprises.  Sure there are areas that are lacking, but other areas were just poorly managed.

B Ray

I believe we have some talent, I just think they all had been bulked up and made slow, RB and WR for this offense I believe we are fine. I hope he can get the OL to a better place, I know B.B. had gotten some good OL , they just didn't get to see the field .. My question who is going to be the QB ?

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: a0ashle on December 10, 2017, 09:35:42 am
So this makes it seem like you want him to be moved so it makes Bielema look bad.

There is absolutely no reason to move Froholdt.

Actually, he didn't need help.

a0ashle

I agree, this isn't a bare cupboard situation.

colbs

Froholdt graded out as the second highest guard in the conference and was a first team All SEC selection by PFF.  I think too many fans judge him off of his first year and not this past year. 

RideTillIDieHawg

Quote from: colbs on December 10, 2017, 10:26:25 am
Froholdt graded out as the second highest guard in the conference and was a first team All SEC selection by PFF.  I think too many fans judge him off of his first year and not this past year.

Exactly.

The real question is how Wallace does with a new coach.

racinghog

Well we know someone in his family thinks that the there is talent in the cupboard.

Broke Tusk

O line better start running 10 yard wind sprints !!!!

blueridger

of all positions...the OL will be the focus of S&C...just like they were at SMU when this staff showed up.   Nutrition and structured training...it'll be fine folks.

zane

Quote from: colbs on December 10, 2017, 10:26:25 am

Was just coming to post this
RIP LSUfan

Razorback Pastor

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

razorback355

Spring practice will straighten up a lot of the personnel shifts along with transfers going into the summer.

Porknoxville

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 10, 2017, 10:10:21 am
If I remember the stat correctly, we have more 4 star talent on the team than all but 5 other SEC teams.  I think there are going to be some pleasant surprises.  Sure there are areas that are lacking, but other areas were just poorly managed.

Actually 10th in over all talent in sec. Even though we rank poorly in perceived talent , I think CCM we pick up the recruiting and will get more out of what we currently have. O

snoblind

Agreed.

IronHog

Quote from: PorcineSublime on December 10, 2017, 09:39:37 am
From what I have read from some of the various sites, he is pretty well regarded as an OL (I read one item that called him the second best lineman behind Ragnow). With an OL coach that can teach him some better technique he might actually be special.

Gibson was their best lineman.....all year

Plenty of talent there for a decent first 5 in shape and with some even average  coaching
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Biggus Piggus

The new staff will say, "Why didn't they recruit any tackles?"
[CENSORED]!

HamGrowsOnTrees

We are not even close to being devoid of talent. This team is loaded imo.
I was against frodholt and clary playing but I think CBB might be ok at the talent evaluation thing: I was wrong. Clary and frodholt and probably Gibson are NFL talents.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

JONAS

Yep.

I think about right now, Chad is thinking.  What the hell did I do.  SMU is not on the same level as Arkansas but it will be much easier to win at SMU than Arkansas in the overall.

As to the player talent we have.  I believe practice will be a planned event with all players on the team getting involved and worked, conditioned, trained, and urged to reach their potential.  I bet we see folks thats never seen the field before making contributions.  Overall speed will return to these players in the overall.  Team weight will likely go down about 1000 pounds.  During games, there will be coaching and teaching.  We will have a Special Teams Group that will be special.  I think our defense will be the group that surprises.  It still won't be good but so much better than recent.  Gang tackling, tight coverage, hard hitting, 4 quarters of hard play, blitzing often, and a 2 deep that at least knows what they are going to try to do, even if they aren't good at doing it.
I suggest the QB position may be the most difficult to fill.  We have seen how difficult it is to win with the Gus offense without a very solid QB.  Learning the reads and moving at breakneck speed is not an easy task and most QBs cannot do that.  I don't believe Cole will be the starter and I don't know about Ty.  Ty should still have it all as Bret and Co never used any of it up.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: duckman on December 10, 2017, 09:37:07 am
He isn't moving...  He was our best OL after Ragnow went out.

What in the he11 are they talking about, he'll be the starting left guard... same place he's been for two years..

logand02

woodrow hog call

I would not be at all surprised to see us using two complete O lines next year, in order to achieve the pace that CCM is wanting.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Oklahawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 10, 2017, 06:34:16 pm
The new staff will say, "Why didn't they recruit any tackles?"

We will be able to go three deep at center and both guards, though. Maybe we can do some 3-OL sets?

And no one has mentioned that we have two decent fullbacks on this roster. Poor guys.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

FrJoseph

Move him back to DL I suspect; where he should be.

Fr Joe
You made us for yourself oh God, and are hearts are restless until they rest in you.

PonderinHog

Quote from: FrJoseph on December 10, 2017, 10:18:33 pm

Fr Joe
At this point that would be almost criminal.

kodiakisland

Expect a full eval on every player on the team.  My guess is we will see some playmakers on the field next year that never got off the sidelines under BB.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

colbs

Quote from: FrJoseph on December 10, 2017, 10:18:33 pm

Fr Joe
Why move one of the top returning OL to DL?  Also, the OL depth isn't great.

Moe wins

Is there any word on his health? He had a lot of issues with that ankle, especially late in the year.