Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It happens

Started by BannerMountainMan, December 03, 2017, 03:23:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BannerMountainMan

#24 Alabama which everybody says is sooo good with an amazing freshman just lost to a 5-3 UCF team that is not even close to ranks with Houston. Losses happen.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Hogimus Prime

The 94/95 team got blew out several times. 

mizzouman

UCF is a decent team.  Very well coached.  They will make a run at the NCAAT.  Much better rpi than Houston.

mhuff

Happens when you don't move the ball. With us it was dribble dribble dribble turnover. It also happens when you don't call timeouts and get the troops settled down. Also Gafford and Thompson should have been on the floor at the same time. There wasn't anyone to rebound. You gotta coach every now and then.

WorfHog

Well Alabama sucks now. Fire the coach, forfeit the season.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: WorfHog on December 03, 2017, 07:01:14 pm
Well Alabama sucks now. Fire the coach, forfeit the season.
that's what I'm saying, you lose one game on the road then they are terrible, fire the coach, tear down their stadium and start all over
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

factchecker

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 03, 2017, 07:12:47 pm
that's what I'm saying, you lose one game on the road then they are terrible, fire the coach, tear down their stadium and start all over

It happens when a bulk of your message board members aren't fans.  They just show up to celebrate losses.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Smalltownhog95

Houston game means nothing but our 2nd loss of the season. How we respond next 2 games could do better at telling how this year will unfold.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

Ironhawg

Maybe getting smacked around by Houston will get their attention and get them focused.

FineAsSwine

December 04, 2017, 07:52:54 am #9 Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:00:05 am by FineAsSwine
Quote from: Ironhawg on December 03, 2017, 10:09:46 pm
Maybe getting smacked around by Houston will get their attention and get them focused.

Same thing I was thinking. The tape don't lie. Gotta bring the effort and intensity every night, especially with our style of play you definitely can't sleepwalk your way through a game or you might get blown out.
Hogs up! Covid down!

ShadowHawg

Florida just got DOMINATED at home by Florida State

Letsroll1200

Quote from: mizzouman on December 03, 2017, 05:30:00 pm
UCF is a decent team.  Very well coached.  They will make a run at the NCAAT.  Much better rpi than Houston.

UCF is without their best player and scoring leader.

HognitiveDissonance

What you're saying is right and wrong, but mainly misleading.
It's right because: teams lose to 'inferior' teams all the time, teams get upset, have subpar nights.
It's wrong because: the main reason for posting this is to rationalize and excuse a pathetic performance by the Hogs.

What's wrong with telling it like it is?
It was inexcusable to get beat like that. That's the truth.

And I still say we win both games this week.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 04, 2017, 11:29:59 pm
What you're saying is right and wrong, but mainly misleading.
It's right because: teams lose to 'inferior' teams all the time, teams get upset, have subpar nights.
It's wrong because: the main reason for posting this is to rationalize and excuse a pathetic performance by the Hogs.

What's wrong with telling it like it is?
It was inexcusable to get beat like that. That's the truth.

And I still say we win both games this week.

Ok, I'll go ahead and tell it like it is. It was inexcusable for Duke and Coach K to struggle with Portland State for most of that game. Especially with all of the top tier talent at Duke and a Hall of Fame coach like Coach K.

Would you disagree with that assessment or do you have any excuses to offer?
Hogs up! Covid down!

Little Lady Back

Quote from: factchecker on December 03, 2017, 08:25:01 pm
It happens when a bulk of your message board members aren't fans.  They just show up to celebrate losses.

Factchecker stating a fact! It happens every time....
#NolanRichardsonCourt

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 05, 2017, 09:15:11 am
Ok, I'll go ahead and tell it like it is. It was inexcusable for Duke and Coach K to struggle with Portland State for most of that game. Especially with all of the top tier talent at Duke and a Hall of Fame coach like Coach K.

And you're doing exactly what I said: deflection. When you have no answer, deflect.
It's a variation of the 3rd grade excuse 'he hit me first!'
it's just lame.

Here's the difference:
After UCONN game:
Me: 'Wow. Didn't see that coming. Impressive win. A dominating win over a name team'
Homers: Great job Hogs!!! Go Hogs!!! What a great game!

After Houston game:
Me: 'What the heck was that? No excuse to get hammered like that. Pathetic performance'
Homers: 'Uh....let's see who else got beat this week...

Now who struggles with telling it like it is?
Just call a spade a spade.
it's not the end of the season. That game bugs the heck out of me, but it's not the end. So no harm in telling the truth.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 05, 2017, 09:15:11 am

Notwithstanding the deflection, never let it be said that I dodged anyone's question:

1)I had to search to find this game. I thought it was last night. It was Nov 23. Bit of a reach there
2)Duke easily won the game 99-81. Doesn't matter what the score is 5 minutes in, 10 min in, halftime, etc. They won by 18 points
3)The coach has five national championships.

This is an extremely poor example, for all the above reasons. Surely you can do better.

Let me do one for you.
Ohio State got knocked out of the playoffs, primarily due to inexplicably losing by 31 points to Iowa on the road.
So your point would be better served to use that, maybe. How can a 'great' coach like Urban Meyer allow his team to get toasted like that?
Good point. Things happen. No one doubts Meyer is a great coach.

Of course, the main reason for that is, Meyer has two national championships, with two different schools, so he's built up a lot of cachet.

Look, I realize these things happen a lot, I really do. I just wish the Hogs could eliminate these 'get roasted' games because we see this every single year. And mostly, it HURTS the Hog program. As someone else posted, we didn't get a single vote in the polls. Even after a strong tournament in Portland, with two really nice wins, one bad game and we dropped completely off the radar. That's why these blowouts hurt and bug me. It's two steps forward and one step back.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 05, 2017, 03:50:20 pm
And you're doing exactly what I said: deflection. When you have no answer, deflect.
It's a variation of the 3rd grade excuse 'he hit me first!'
it's just lame.

Here's the difference:
After UCONN game:
Me: 'Wow. Didn't see that coming. Impressive win. A dominating win over a name team'
Homers: Great job Hogs!!! Go Hogs!!! What a great game!

After Houston game:
Me: 'What the heck was that? No excuse to get hammered like that. Pathetic performance'
Homers: 'Uh....let's see who else got beat this week...

Now who struggles with telling it like it is?
Just call a spade a spade.
it's not the end of the season. That game bugs the heck out of me, but it's not the end. So no harm in telling the truth.

Look into theory of mind. It's ok for people to have different perspectives.

For instance, you bring up calling a spade a spade. In basketball, the season is long enough that baffling performances aren't extraordinary. The way to illustrate that to people who are panicked or overreacting is to show them PROOF that is a common occurrence by pointing it out as it happens elsewhere.

It is calling a spade a spade to say that game isn't a big deal until it becomes the norm.

HognitiveDissonance

I agree.
And anyone who insinuates the season is over is most definitely over-reacting. It is certainly not over. And I expect us to win these two games and be back 'on track'

I would say, though, my concern is founded, I think. We see this type of game each season. It's Minn last year, Ok St...Houston this year. It behooves the Hog program to 'fix' this problem. It without question leads to lack of respect for the brand. Personally, I think the Hogs may be a Top 25 team, from what I've seen so far this year. I definitely think they should 'get votes'. So to not get one single vote speaks volumes. There is lack of respect for Ark basketball. Deep down, I know these types of losses is a huge contributor to that lack of respect. If I'm a pollster and see the Hogs lose by 26 points to a middling Houston squad I'm thinking 'how good can this team really be?'. And I think it has an effect on the fans, too. People were pretty excited after the season openers and Portland tournament, and then this. It's a big deflation. I'm talking about the reasonable fans. It's understandable for fans to lose excitement after being drummed like that. It's embarrassing.

I think tonight's game will probably be about 8000 maybe....Saturday's game will probably be a good crowd.

Hog Pharm

HawgsPolo

Quote from: Hog Pharm on December 05, 2017, 07:13:18 pm
It's happening again.

What's that?  Or are you referring to Ball St vs ND?
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: factchecker on December 03, 2017, 08:25:01 pm
+1
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

HawgsPolo

Florida lost to Loyola-Chi who has Porter Moser as coach.
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: HawgsPolo on December 06, 2017, 08:51:35 pm
Florida lost to Loyola-Chi who has Porter Moser as coach.
yep, a way worse loss than us, if we beat Minnesota Saturday we will have a better resume than them.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 06, 2017, 08:53:54 pm
yep, a way worse loss than us, if we beat Minnesota Saturday we will have a better resume than them.

Wow, Kevaughn Allen has been relegated to the bench. Unthinkable. Losing at home to that team? FIRE MIKE!!! Does Mike run any set plays? Why is Mike letting them jack up threes and not run any offense? Why is Mike not yelling at the refs and showing some fire in his belly?

Oh, wait. Wrong Mike. These criticisms are only directed at CMA.
Hogs up! Covid down!

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 06, 2017, 09:03:06 pm
Wow, Kevaughn Allen has been relegated to the bench. Unthinkable. Losing at home to that team? FIRE MIKE!!! Does Mike run any set plays? Why is Mike letting them jack up threes and not run any offense? Why is Mike not yelling at the refs and showing some fire in his belly?

underrated post of the year👏🏻

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 06, 2017, 09:03:06 pm

Lol +1

HognitiveDissonance

Wrong again, so stop the persecution complex.
It took me two minutes to find some comment on this game on a Gator forum:

"So what's the opinion after losing to LOYOLA-CHICAGO at home? I know some posters only care about football, others say basketball only counts at tournament time. But considering that the Gators started so hot, since the last 7 minutes of the Duke game they have played absolutely horrible. Blown out by FSU and now losing to Loyola of Chicago where they only only scored 59 points. 3 losses in a row and now have to play a very good Cincinnati team in Newark, New Jersey. I'm disappointed, 2-19 from the 3 point line and only 59 points? Give me a break. And they beat us with their starting point guard hurt and out the 2nd half. UF has serious issues"

"We've been exposed, if we dont shoot 40% from 3 we cant win. Hayes has great hustle but man hes soft. Unfortunately its probably going to be this way all season. Good recruuting class coming in next year though"

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 07, 2017, 12:36:58 pm
Wrong again, so stop the persecution complex.
It took me two minutes to find some comment on this game on a Gator forum:

"So what's the opinion after losing to LOYOLA-CHICAGO at home? I know some posters only care about football, others say basketball only counts at tournament time. But considering that the Gators started so hot, since the last 7 minutes of the Duke game they have played absolutely horrible. Blown out by FSU and now losing to Loyola of Chicago where they only only scored 59 points. 3 losses in a row and now have to play a very good Cincinnati team in Newark, New Jersey. I'm disappointed, 2-19 from the 3 point line and only 59 points? Give me a break. And they beat us with their starting point guard hurt and out the 2nd half. UF has serious issues"

"We've been exposed, if we dont shoot 40% from 3 we cant win. Hayes has great hustle but man hes soft. Unfortunately its probably going to be this way all season. Good recruuting class coming in next year though"

They never said their coach didn't understand set plays, that he doesn't teach fundamentals, that he doesn't understand defense, that he didn't have his guys ready to play, or that they need to FIRE MIKE!

Sounded fairly restrained considering the Gators have lost 3 straight and one at home to Loyola Chicago, plus looking at a four game losing streak. On here, they would be floating the names of possible replacements.

Big difference.
Hogs up! Covid down!

HognitiveDissonance

The guy is in his second year.
They also went to the Elite 8 last year, didn't they?
(But, Kent State went to the Elite 8 in Stan Heath's first year too)

Yes, that wasn't his team. So he's transitioning into a phase where it's 'his team', but not there.
So I'm not convinced yet that Florida under Michael White will be a force.

He had a terrific first year, but if he doesn't sustain in the coming years Florida's recent history of deep runs in the NCAAs, they'll be after him, don't worry.

Jury is still out.

HognitiveDissonance

By the way, might be interesting to see some Alabama fan comments after their loss to Central Fla.

Never mind, nobody cares about basketball in Alabama. Definitely not when football season is still going on.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 07, 2017, 12:46:03 pm
They never said their coach didn't understand set plays, that he doesn't teach fundamentals, that he doesn't understand defense, that he didn't have his guys ready to play, or that they need to FIRE MIKE!

Sounded fairly restrained considering the Gators have lost 3 straight and one at home to Loyola Chicago, plus looking at a four game losing streak. On here, they would be floating the names of possible replacements.

Big difference.
By the way, I never use those words. 'Style of play' has never been part of my comments, in general. I don't think it's that important. There is more than one way to skin a cat.
I've always felt that talent, motivation, and teamwork(no egos, playing together, etc) is the successful formula, and not so much style of play, or pace of play, or which offense/defense you run.
So, yes, you can possibly be in the Final 4 running the Four Corners, or running uptempo. You can win 62-57 or 91-83. Those things aren't as important as talent, motivation, and teamwork.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 07, 2017, 01:08:46 pm
By the way, I never use those words. 'Style of play' has never been part of my comments, in general. I don't think it's that important. There is more than one way to skin a cat.
I've always felt that talent, motivation, and teamwork(no egos, playing together, etc) is the successful formula, and not so much style of play, or pace of play, or which offense/defense you run.
So, yes, you can possibly be in the Final 4 running the Four Corners, or running uptempo. You can win 62-57 or 91-83. Those things aren't as important as talent, motivation, and teamwork.

That sounds fair and balanced. Nothing I can disagree with there.
Hogs up! Covid down!

HognitiveDissonance

Hogs got two wins this week as expected.
Was never worried about Colo St, and was confident about Minnesota. However they are a good team so you never know.
But then I saw they played at Nebraska this week and lost by 10. After seeing that, I wasn't too worried about our game with them. I knew we would be ready to play after last year's game up there with them. I was thinking along the lines of 82-71 Hogs, so they exceeded that a little with 95-79 and 16-pt margin.

Hogs played great from the tip. Macon was forcing some shots early, I thought, but CJ Jones more than made up for that with his great shooting.
Gafford, obviously, was filthy.

Overall, this non-conf resume is going to finish out looking quite strong (assuming we win out until SEC play starts). Wins over Bucknell and Minnesota at home, and neutral site wins over Oklahoma and UConn. One of the better non-conf set of results in recent memory.