Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This can happen to Arkansas football also.

Started by oldhawg, October 20, 2017, 07:28:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

oldhawg

This is what has happened for Clemson football during the past 25 years.

What's changed?  Not there recruiting area, it's been the same forever.  Not their fan base, they have always been loyal and rabid.  There have been no indications or rumors that they are doing things blatantly illegal.

What's changed?  Certainly they have improved their recruiting.  Their coaching has improved. Dabo Sweeney arrived on the job in 2008 (his first head coaching job), and evidently has been able to hire an effective staff for both recruiting and gaming (pun intended).

Clemson's academic status has not suffered.  It is ranked 67th by U.S. News Best Colleges, compared to Arkansas's 133rd.

Clemson's average record for the last six years has been 12.0 wins & 1.1 loses.  For the nineteen years previous to that it averaged 7.1 wins & 4.7 losses.   So they increased their win total by about five games per season.  Overall, for the last twenty five years, they have averaged 8.2 wins & 4.7 loses per season.

I have to believe that, regardless of long standing averages, something similar can happen at Arkansas ---- just probably not in my lifetime.  Good luck to you young Turks out there who want to win, just keep the faith.

Year   Rank   W   L 
2016     2    14  1     * +1 (National Championship)     
2015     2    14  1     
2014    12    10  3     
2013     9    11  2     
2012    12    11  2     
2011    22    10  4     
2010    69     6  7     
2009    39     9  5     
2008    48     7  6     
2007    24     9  4     
2006    39     8  5     
2005    35     8  4     
2004    70     6  5     
2003    27     9  4     
2002    42     7  6       
2001    48     7  5     
2000    13     9  3     
1999    34     6  6     
1998    86     3  8     
1997    43     7  5     
1996    37     7  5     
1995    36     8  4  0   
1994    58     5  6  0   
1993    35     9  3  0   
1992    66     5  6  0   

Großer Kriegschwein

Of course it can.

Just have to find a recruiter that can sell their vision to top ranked recruits and bring in the assistants necessary.
This is my non-signature signature.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Clemson is in much better recruiting territory than U of A.  They are really close to Atlanta. South Carolina has about triple the D1 recruits Arkansas does. Also it's much easier to come up in the ACC than the SEC west.  Not saying Dabo wouldn't have success here, but I strongly doubt he'd have a national championship if he was our coach.

Tusks

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on October 20, 2017, 08:15:04 pm
Clemson is in much better recruiting territory than U of A.  They are really close to Atlanta. South Carolina has about triple the D1 recruits Arkansas does. Also it's much easier to come up in the ACC than the SEC west.  Not saying Dabo wouldn't have success here, but I strongly doubt he'd have a national championship if he was our coach.

And they have more competition for the players in that area, 10X the number of schools competing for a kids signature.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

HiggiePiggy

What it comes down to and always comes down to is coaching. Good Coaches build up programs. Great coaches build dynasties.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Hoginsavga

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on October 20, 2017, 08:15:04 pm

You do realize that from 1992 through 2012, which includes our first year in the SEC through Smiley, we had a winning record against the West Division teams. That includes more than 10 games against Saban coached teams, while we were straddled with Kines, Ford, Nutt for 15+ years. That is evidence we have good athletes and can win even with inferior coaching.

Also if you look at the all time top 25 programs according to the AP polls Arkansas is ranked 19th while Clemson is 20th. This is for the period 1936 through 2016. It makes me sad how far our Hogs have fallen in our own fans eyes. We have been duped by the Jeff Long and Bert rose colored glasses fans.

I hope this makes sense as I have had a few drinks getting ready for tomorrow's game. To be continued.

sowmonella

Hard to believe Dabo has been there 9 years.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

bob slydell

Second paragraph, second sentence.  That's answers all of your questions (or should).
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Bob Slydell on October 20, 2017, 09:30:21 pm
Second paragraph, second sentence.  That's answers all of your questions (or should).
Third paragraph, second sentence.  They have recruited better (actually much, much better). 

bob slydell

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 20, 2017, 09:48:07 pm
Third paragraph, second sentence.  They have recruited better (actually much, much better).

That too.  I think paragraph 2, sentence 2 leads to paragraph 3, sentence 2.  We just don't have the recruiting area that Clemson does.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

If they are able to win and be competitive at Kansas St. of all places surely to God  we can do the same here at Arkansas.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

HardCore

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

bob slydell

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on October 20, 2017, 10:26:37 pm
If they are able to win and be competitive at Kansas St. of all places surely to God  we can do the same here at Arkansas.

K State would not be nearly as competitive in the SEC West as they have been in the B12.  If nothing else, our bowl matchups prove that point.

Pork Twain

Man you guys are going all out with the crazy comparisons
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

devildoghawg

Clemson got a once in a lifetime coaching talent.  That's why they are so good.  A good coach is what makes or breaks a football.  Dabo will replace Nick when he leaves. 
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

jvanhorn

Albert Einswine

Quote from: jvanhorn on October 21, 2017, 03:26:44 am
I believe that was Terry Don Philips who should be the AD here

Terry Don would have been here if JFB hadn't decided to hold on to the job past his shelf life.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

(notOM)Rebel123

He retired 5 years ago...
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

RexMentor

How to recruit at Arkansas:
1. Target a recruiting territory of Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana and Florida. Go to other states (specifically the Midwest) for linemen or skill players with ties to Arkansas.
2. Look at only 3 4 and 5 star athletes. The determining factor should be SEC speed. The goal should be three 4 or 5 star athletes from each state. If that can't be done, the goal should be three or four on each side of the ball.
3. Redshirt every lineman every year. Tell the recruits this is needed to get an SEC body. Sell them that this preparation time is needed to get a look from the NFL.
4. Tell 4 and 5 stars this: Yes, you're going to get offers from the likes of Alabama. But here's the truth. Go there and you'll one of many 4 and 5 star players. You may or may not see the field. At Arkansas, your chances of playing and being noticed by the NFL are much better -- given work, likely the same amount of work you'd need to be one of many at Alabama.
5. Remember this: Only 1 percent of college athletes get drafted into the NFL. And only 1 percent of those play for more than five years. I know the NFL is your goal, but the chances of actually making it in the NFL are iffy. I'm not saying you can't do it. I think you can. I'm telling you you need to come to a school where you can be a standout talent. You can go to a place like Alabama and be one star in a galaxy. Or, you can come to Arkansas and be a superstar if you want it bad enough.
6. I know Arkansas isn't at the top of the list of elite college teams. But it can be with your help. You can go to a place like Alabama and rent a legacy for three or four years. Or, you can come to Arkansas and make and own a legacy for the rest of your life. Do you want to rent or own?
7. Arkansas is also intent on preparing you for life after football. Each month, more than 1,000 people moved to Northwest Arkansas because of the opportunities here. It's consistently ranked as one of the top places to live in the U.S. There are Fortune 500 companies here. Successful Razorbacks get noticed in Northwest Arkansas. That's an advantage not many other job seekers have. And, we've got the connections in business to help.
8. Come to Arkansas and you'll be a real person, not just a player.

Recruiting is actually hard and actually easy, Bottom line, recruiting is salesmanship. Examine it objectively and Arkansas has a lot to sell.

jcbville

Terry Don Phillips has stated multiple times that what has been done at Clemson can be done at Arkansas.

HardCore

Imagine that.  Son-of-a-Gun!
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

HardCore

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 21, 2017, 06:31:32 am
He retired 5 years ago...

What was your point?  He could have retired 25 years ago and still be a better AD.

bphi11ips

Quote from: RexMentor on October 21, 2017, 07:47:15 am
1. Target a recruiting territory of Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana and Florida. Go to other states (specifically the Midwest) for linemen or skill players with ties to Arkansas.
2. Look at only 3 4 and 5 star athletes. The determining factor should be SEC speed. The goal should be three 4 or 5 star athletes from each state. If that can't be done, the goal should be three or four on each side of the ball.
3. Redshirt every lineman every year. Tell the recruits this is needed to get an SEC body. Sell them that this preparation time is needed to get a look from the NFL.
4. Tell 4 and 5 stars this: Yes, you're going to get offers from the likes of Alabama. But here's the truth. Go there and you'll one of many 4 and 5 star players. You may or may not see the field. At Arkansas, your chances of playing and being noticed by the NFL are much better -- given work, likely the same amount of work you'd need to be one of many at Alabama.
5. Remember this: Only 1 percent of college athletes get drafted into the NFL. And only 1 percent of those play for more than five years. I know the NFL is your goal, but the chances of actually making it in the NFL are iffy. I'm not saying you can't do it. I think you can. I'm telling you you need to come to a school where you can be a standout talent. You can go to a place like Alabama and be one star in a galaxy. Or, you can come to Arkansas and be a superstar if you want it bad enough.
6. I know Arkansas isn't at the top of the list of elite college teams. But it can be with your help. You can go to a place like Alabama and rent a legacy for three or four years. Or, you can come to Arkansas and make and own a legacy for the rest of your life. Do you want to rent or own?
7. Arkansas is also intent on preparing you for life after football. Each month, more than 1,000 people moved to Northwest Arkansas because of the opportunities here. It's consistently ranked as one of the top places to live in the U.S. There are Fortune 500 companies here. Successful Razorbacks get noticed in Northwest Arkansas. That's an advantage not many other job seekers have. And, we've got the connections in business to help.

Recruiting is actually hard and actually easy, Bottom line, recruiting is salesmanship. Examine it objectively and Arkansas has a lot to sell.

This is a great post and pretty much what is going on now. 

I can tell you that E.K. Franks and the recruiting staff at Arkansas do an incredible job with recruits.  Communication is excellent, visits are well coordinated, the staff is very friendly, academic staff are there to explain what they do and the resources available to athletes.  You might think it's that way everywhere - but it's not. 

The north end zone project will have a positive impact on recruiting when it's finished.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Redhogs

Quote from: tusked on October 20, 2017, 08:23:52 pm
And they have more competition for the players in that area, 10X the number of schools competing for a kids signature.
Don't waste your breath..excuse makers and losers gonna excuse.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 21, 2017, 04:10:49 am

Terry Don would have been here if JFB hadn't decided to hold on to the job past his shelf life.

Bingo. This also allowed White to get his wormy little hands on the program.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: RexMentor on October 21, 2017, 07:47:15 am

Lots of good points here.

The key to Arkansas success follows a similar recruiting strategy to that of Oklahoma.

hawgdavis

Quote from: oldhawg on October 20, 2017, 07:28:16 pm
This is what has happened for Clemson football during the past 25 years.

What's changed?  Not there recruiting area, it's been the same forever.  Not their fan base, they have always been loyal and rabid.  There have been no indications or rumors that they are doing things blatantly illegal.

What's changed?  Certainly they have improved their recruiting.  Their coaching has improved. Dabo Sweeney arrived on the job in 2008 (his first head coaching job), and evidently has been able to hire an effective staff for both recruiting and gaming (pun intended).

Clemson's academic status has not suffered.  It is ranked 67th by U.S. News Best Colleges, compared to Arkansas's 133rd.

Clemson's average record for the last six years has been 12.0 wins & 1.1 loses.  For the nineteen years previous to that it averaged 7.1 wins & 4.7 losses.   So they increased their win total by about five games per season.  Overall, for the last twenty five years, they have averaged 8.2 wins & 4.7 loses per season.

I have to believe that, regardless of long standing averages, something similar can happen at Arkansas ---- just probably not in my lifetime.  Good luck to you young Turks out there who want to win, just keep the faith.

Year   Rank   W   L 
2016     2    14  1     * +1 (National Championship)     
2015     2    14  1     
2014    12    10  3     
2013     9    11  2     
2012    12    11  2     
2011    22    10  4     
2010    69     6  7     
2009    39     9  5     
2008    48     7  6     
2007    24     9  4     
2006    39     8  5     
2005    35     8  4     
2004    70     6  5     
2003    27     9  4     
2002    42     7  6       
2001    48     7  5     
2000    13     9  3     
1999    34     6  6     
1998    86     3  8     
1997    43     7  5     
1996    37     7  5     
1995    36     8  4  0   
1994    58     5  6  0   
1993    35     9  3  0   
1992    66     5  6  0   

I completely agree

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Pig in the Pokey

There have been no indications or rumors that they are doing things blatantly illegal.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha, maybe you should fire up the ole googles and try again. They are PAYING PLAYERS left and right thru churches.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang