Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just in case it did happen , lets see your top 5

Started by The Pocahontas Porker, October 09, 2017, 09:42:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SemperHawg

Not a single Gruden in this thread.... This is easily the most disappointed I have ever been in Hogville.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: The Pocahontas Porker on October 09, 2017, 09:42:59 pm
coaches that you would be supportive of to replace Coach B.

1.  Mike Leach...................Washington State
2.  Mike Norvell.................Memphis
3.  Gary Patterson.............TCU
4.  Mike Gundy..................Oklahoma State
5.  Justin Fuente................Virginia Tech
Someone in another thread pointed out how rare it is for a P5 coach to move laterally to another p5 job.  You've named 4 of your top 5 in that category.  MAYBE Mike Leach would want to try his system in the SEC.  It would be a HUGE risk for him.  Otherwise, the TCU, OK STate and VTEch jobs are as good or better than the Hog job.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 09, 2017, 10:13:14 pm
He probably means Sonny Cumbie, ex TT QB (that would exclude him for me) and current TCU OC.

These are guys I think may be possible with exception of Brohm who I doubt would leave Purdue after one year. 

1.  Venables
2.  Brohm
3.  Frost (more likely to NU)
4.  Matt Campbell
5.  Greg Schiano

On my "No list"
1.  Chip Kelly-cheater and who was benefit of great timing at Oregon. 
2.  Mike Leach-see below
3.  Any coach who throws 50 times a game and 40 of them are bubble screens or other horizontal passes and the other 10 are "jump balls" downfield.   
Just win baby.  However you need to do it.

Hog-Corleone

This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

Hog-Corleone

Quote from: SemperHawg on October 10, 2017, 04:43:24 pm
Not a single Gruden in this thread.... This is easily the most disappointed I have ever been in Hogville.

Sorry dude, look at reply #15.

Tim

Jeff Brohm
Chad Morris
Frank Wilson
Willie Fritz
Mike Norvell

Hogdomer

Scott Frost will be at Nebraska.  There is no way Gary Patterson is coming here, but he should be at the top of any list if you think he would.  He is the perfect coach for a program like ours with the recruits we get and I think only two coaches are demonstrably better (Saban and Meyer).  I think Leach would come and maybe Gundy too if we wanted them.

hawgtime

Quote from: GuvHog on October 10, 2017, 04:41:30 pm
1. Brent Venables
2. Bobby Petrino
3. Charlie Strong
4. Hudspeth
5. Brohm

OK, except Venables!

Hog-Corleone

1:  Bud Kilmer
2:  Tony D'Amato
3:  Jimmy McGinty

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

The_Iceman

Any man who suggests Art Briles should be kicked in the nuts. Because it is only a fraction of the pain he caused women across the Baylor campus by condoning and covering up rape and sexual assault by his players.

The_Iceman

Leach
Brohm
Venables (with an OC like Lashlee)
Matt Campbell
Mike Norvell  (Only if we don't get anyone else above)

I believe the key at Arkansas will be someone (or have an OC) who is a QB guru. Offense has to be the focus at Arkansas if we want to have a chance at averaging 8 wins a year. Having the other pieces fall in line is what will take us to more.

Patterson - not leaving TCU for us
Gundy - not leaving OSU for us
Fuente - not leaving VT for us
Frost - going to Nebraska

Wildhog

I keep seeing that Frost is a Nebraska lock.  Nebraska is paying Mike Reilly $2.8M.  How much would they be willing to pay Frost?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Roaringboar

Quote from: Wildhog on October 10, 2017, 05:06:19 pm
I keep seeing that Frost is a Nebraska lock.  Nebraska is paying Mike Reilly $2.8M.  How much would they be willing to pay Frost?

We won't get Frost....someone else will make a power grab for him, someone like Tennessee or Texas A&M, especially if UCF finished undefeated or with just one loss.......and we will not outbid either of those schools for someone who is technically a nobody who's not even coached a full two seasons yet......I really don't see him doing Nebraska, their situation is starting to look just as bad as ours......I think he'll look for somewhere with a much more solid base, somewhere he doesn't have to do a total rebuild with......that is if he leaves at all........he's only on year two with UCF......He might just stay......he's already making 1.8 Million a year.......I think he only leaves if someone makes a super huge pitch at him, something like 3.5-4.5 million, which for him would much more than say the 2.8 Nebraska's current head coach is making.....
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

hogcard1964

#1 STUNNA

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: soooieman on October 10, 2017, 12:19:14 am
YES! Somebody else. Finally. Hudspeth is the most underrated coach out there. Also the most realistic that would take the job. Dude is a winner and has won on every level. Also, the high school coaches in Mississippi, Louisiana love him.

And again. This has been said in many threads now.  Are we suppose to ignore what happen with assistants? 22 games vacated going 9-4 4 years in a row and now having back to back losing seasons while sitting at 2-3 right now.  So was it the cheating that allowed him to be successful? Because he hasn't been the last 2 years. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Dwight_K_Shrute

People need to realize how rare it is that a sitting P5 coach leaves for another P5 program.  Look at the recent SEC hires for proof, out of all the SEC hires in the last 5 or 6 years BB was the only one. So you can put Fleck, Brohm, or Fuente on your list but they aren't leaving their current jobs after 1 or 2 years for Arkansas.  Leach is the only one I would even give a small % chance of leaving WSU because it's an outpost, but that seems to be where he thrives since Lubbock was the outpost of the B12

Here are the only P5 to P5 I can think of in the last 5 years.

Bielema to Arkansas (about to get fired)
Mike Riley from OSU to Nebraska (about to get fired)
Gary Anderson from Wisconsin to OSU (just quit)
Paul Cryst from Pitt to Wisconsin (doing well)
James Franklin Vandy to Penn State (doing well).  Vandy is basically a G5 level program in terms of ceiling.

Now here are some of the non P5 hires from the past few years.

Texas: Tom Hermann, G5 HC
USCw: Clay Helton, Coordinator
Georgia:  Kirby Smart, Coordinator
Florida: Jim McElwain, G5 HC
Virginia Tech:  Fuente, G5 HC
Purdue:  Jeff Brohm G5 HC
Miami:  Mark Richt, fired P5 HC.
USCe:  Will Muschamp Coordinator
Washington: Chris Petersen G5 HC
NC State:  Dave Doeren G5 HC
Michigan:  Harbaugh NFL HC
Tennessee:  Butch Jones, G5 HC
ND:  Brian Kelly, G5 HC
Kentucky:  Mark Stoops Coordinator
Auburn:  Gus Malzahn, G5 HC
Vandy:  Derek Mason Coordinator
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

jcul28

Franklin has been great at PSU, however, I think Moorhead has had a ton to do with that success. He is one of my Top 5 picks and should at least be worth a call to see if he would be interested in an interview.

duckman

Quote from: SemperHawg on October 10, 2017, 04:43:24 pm

Sad....

😂

Danny J

Quote from: ThinPiggy on October 10, 2017, 12:15:11 am
Bob Stoops
Les Miles
Jimmy Johnson
John Gruden
Barry Alvarez
Don't forget Switzer

Go to Clemson and get Brent

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wildhog on October 10, 2017, 05:06:19 pm

Hes' a former Nebraska QB and been fairly successful in his short head coaching career so far. I'd bet more than that. Some where between 3 and 4 million.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

GoHogs1091

Here is my 5, with video proof of what an actual high-quality Coach says, not the gibberish that we get from Bielema.

1.  Brent Venables   (just hope the ship hasn't already sailed).

This is what he said before he schooled Robert Petrino again (Venables is now 4-0 against Robert Petrino).

2.  Steve Campbell   UCA's Head Coach

This is what he said before he out-coached Arkansas State last season.

3.  Chad Morris

This is what he said after he defeated Arkansas State this season.

4.  Gary Gibbs   Would provide him a chance to show that Oklahoma made a huge error letting him go.  Also, perhaps he is tired of the NFL grind.  Plus, coaching for us would get him closer to home.

He used the word "process" in the following video.  Nick Saban learned well from Gibbs the 1 season Saban coached with him at LSU.

5.  Neal Brown

Here is what he said after he out-coached LSU.

The Hawg Marshal

I may be totally wrong(rare), but I'd bet if Nebraska called Frost he'd be on the next plane to Lincoln.

HogBeliever625

YES! Somebody else. Finally. Hudspeth is the most underrated coach out there. Also the most realistic that would take the job. Dude is a winner and has won on every level. Also, the high school coaches in Mississippi, Louisiana love him.
So underrated that he is 25-34 at Lafayette

Dwight_K_Shrute

Thanks for the video of Neal Brown.  He's the southern PJ Fleck.  One thing Nutt had going for him when he was hired was youthful exuberance and energy.  Brown seems to have that plus the coaching chops.  The Bielema years are feeling much like the Danny Ford years and a shot of youth and energy might be just what the program needs to kick start it. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: HogBeliever625 on October 10, 2017, 07:30:39 pm
So underrated that he is 25-34 at Lafayette

They had to vacate 22 wins because of a former assistant coach.

Wildhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 10, 2017, 06:27:32 pm
Hes' a former Nebraska QB and been fairly successful in his short head coaching career so far. I'd bet more than that. Some where between 3 and 4 million.

And whoever we hire will make 4-5.  It'll be an interesting coaching carousel.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Ironhawg

Quote from: stevenjoec on October 09, 2017, 10:10:06 pm
Why does no one talk about Brent Venable, DC from Clemson?

I get the feeling Venables is holding out for a high level P5 job.

ChicoHog

Power 5 jobs open:
Oregon St
Mississippi (no way Matt Luke is getting that job permanently)

Power 5 pretty good chance of job opening:
Arkansas
Tennessee
Nebraska
Az st.

Power 5 50/50 chance of job opening:
UCLA
Texas A&M
Missouri
Boston College
Kansas
K-State (if Snyder retires)

Am I missing anyone?

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Wildhog on October 10, 2017, 08:27:44 pm
And whoever we hire will make 4-5.  It'll be an interesting coaching carousel.

Why does the next coach need to make that much? Mark Hudspeth( My pick ) makes 900k currently per year. Why couldn't we pay him 2 million with 200k bonus per win over 6 wins per season? We could also load it up with other bonuses to make it even more worth while.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: TX HOG on October 09, 2017, 09:49:52 pm
So tell me if I'm right. Fuente rebuilt Memphis and left for Tech. Norvell was his replacement? If so, what makes people feel that he's not just reaping what Fuente built?
since I live in Memphis, I will take a crack at this one.  The reason is in his recruiting.  He is young, energetic and is a former OC at Arizona State I think. He has gotten some kids to come to Memphis that they normally just would not get and if he doesnt get them, he is in on them and might lose out right at the end. 

His offensive mind reminds me of BP (not saying he is as good) and he can relate to today's recruits

Look, Mike Gundy would be great, but he isnt leaving OK State to come get pounded on year after year after year by Bama, Auburn, LSU and A$M. Just dont see the move.  Its not like Ark is a better job that Ok State these days.

Mike Leach is interesting.  He definitely dances to the beat of a different drum as they say.  I know his offenses have been prolific in the Pac 12, but the SEC is a different animal with incredible speed on the defenses in the league. 

Brent Venables might be good choice if he would leave Clemson for us.  But he knows how tough the Ark job is.  He might be holding out for a better job.  Who knows.

Hogs-n-Roses

Chuck Dicus
Tim Horton
Ken Hatfield
Terry Don Phillips
Oh excuse me I thot you meant for AD.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 10, 2017, 08:15:31 pm
They had to vacate 22 wins because of a former assistant coach.

But after that. He has had back to back losing seasons and is sitting at 2-3 right now. So if he ends up with a 3rd losing season in a row are you still going to want him?  It is looking like the only way they were winning was because of cheating. Even if he didn't know about it that's still on him as the head coach.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

swineology

Frost
Morris
Venables
Campbell
Holtz

LOL @ the Bobby Petrino votes

pigmania

lakecityhog

Jeff Brohm
He has done well for himself and as a former QB should be able to develop our QBs.
He has connections in the South and Mid-West, my main concern would be him being willing to go after SEC caliber assistants. My guess is that he would handle the O.

2014   Western Kentucky   8–5   4–4   3rd (East)   W Bahamas      
2015   Western Kentucky   12–2   8–0   1st (East)   W Miami Beach      24
2016   Western Kentucky   10–3   7–1   T–1st (East)   Boca Raton‡      
Western Kentucky:   30–10   19–5   
Purdue Boilermakers (Big Ten Conference) (2017–present)
2017   Purdue   3–2   1–1

hawgmasta

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 10, 2017, 07:33:53 pm
Thanks for the video of Neal Brown.  He's the southern PJ Fleck.  One thing Nutt had going for him when he was hired was youthful exuberance and energy.  Brown seems to have that plus the coaching chops.  The Bielema years are feeling much like the Danny Ford years and a shot of youth and energy might be just what the program needs to kick start it.

I feel like unless you are one of the elite schools (bama, Texas, Ohio st) it matters more who your coach is when it comes to recruiting. Our recruiting ranking has pretty much been the same with multiple coaches. We got a guy who went to three rose bowls and it only increased maybe a little bit. I think since we're obviously not as dirty as other schools we need a guy with the "it" factor when it comes to recruiting. Pittman had it, Partridge had it, and to have a good head coach with it would hopefully knock our average ranking up.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 10, 2017, 09:07:09 pm
But after that. He has had back to back losing seasons and is sitting at 2-3 right now. So if he ends up with a 3rd losing season in a row are you still going to want him?  It is looking like the only way they were winning was because of cheating. Even if he didn’t know about it that’s still on him as the head coach.

Absolutely I'd want him. He is very well connected and very well liked in the areas that we recruit the most. Plus he is having to deal with the after effects of a NCAA investigation. As far as the cheating goes. It really isn't on him. It really is about David Saunders. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/ole-miss/2016/01/12/former-ole-miss-coach-david-saunders-receives-sanctions/78684126/

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

ur

Quote from: lakecityhog on October 10, 2017, 09:41:23 pm
Jeff Brohm
He has done well for himself and as a former QB should be able to develop our QBs.
He has connections in the South and Mid-West, my main concern would be him being willing to go after SEC caliber assistants. My guess is that he would handle the O.

2014   Western Kentucky   8–5   4–4   3rd (East)   W Bahamas      
2015   Western Kentucky   12–2   8–0   1st (East)   W Miami Beach      24
2016   Western Kentucky   10–3   7–1   T–1st (East)   Boca Raton‡      
Western Kentucky:   30–10   19–5   
Purdue Boilermakers (Big Ten Conference) (2017–present)
2017   Purdue   3–2   1–1
Agree. He beat Enos in the Bahamas Bowl. Beat Mizzou this year and almost beat BP.
Played minor league baseball during the summers of college football.
played in NFL for 7 years and XFL for 1
Purdue buyout before dec 5 $5.9 mill, after dec. 5 $4.9 mill
Video worth the time to watch.

onebadrubi

I'm going to plant an idea out there just for fun...

Venables for HC! 
Bruce arians retires from the cardinals and comes to work with Venables and Arkansas on a 2 year contract to teach Lunney the ropes to where lunney takes over as OC after that.
We even keep Smith on for recruiting and helps bring in the La kids still! 

Put Sean Peyton down as my option B

Tusks

Norvell as HC and after he's let go by AzSt, Norvell brings Graham in to be the DC
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ChicoHog

Quote from: tusked on October 10, 2017, 10:57:23 pm
Norvell as HC and after he's let go by AzSt, Norvell brings Graham in to be the DC
Graham as DC?  The AZ st defense couldn't catch a cold in Alaska!  No thanks! 

TXArcher

While I'm not totally on the bandwagon to replace CBB yet, I'll throw out a name I haven't seen mentioned.

Enos?

Cheap for a year or two (recoup some CBB buyout $)
Already on staff, knows the players, had a hand in recruiting them
HC experience - Not real successful as a HC, hungry?
CBB was successful, we see how that has worked
3rd year as a coordinator in the SEC and has garnered interest from other SEC teams
Being in the SEC as a coordinator, he should know what will and won't work in the SEC
A chance to run his style of offense with no HC overrule?

Thoughts?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TXArcher on October 11, 2017, 06:51:03 am
While I'm not totally on the bandwagon to replace CBB yet, I'll throw out a name I haven't seen mentioned.

Enos?

Thoughts?

Doesn't SMILE enough..................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawghiggs

Quote from: TXArcher on October 11, 2017, 06:51:03 am

Enos?

Cheap for a year or two (recoup some CBB buyout $)
Already on staff, knows the players, had a hand in recruiting them
HC experience - Not real successful as a HC, hungry?
CBB was successful, we see how that has worked
3rd year as a coordinator in the SEC and has garnered interest from other SEC teams
Being in the SEC as a coordinator, he should know what will and won't work in the SEC
A chance to run his style of offense with no HC overrule?

Thoughts?

No thanks. He has been part of the problem.

LumberBacks

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: TX HOG on October 09, 2017, 09:49:52 pm
So tell me if I'm right. Fuente rebuilt Memphis and left for Tech. Norvell was his replacement? If so, what makes people feel that he's not just reaping what Fuente built?
+1
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.