Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Offensive Line Improvement

Started by Großer Kriegschwein, August 20, 2017, 11:43:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Großer Kriegschwein

Red zone performance by the Offensive Line, along with limiting big plays on defense, will be the difference maker this year. If we improve in these two areas, we can win 10 games.

Thoughts?
This is my non-signature signature.

Any team that has a dominant O-line nearly always has good football team.  If you can move the ball, you can control the ball and are rarely out of any game completely.  Dominant lines is why it is rare for BAMA to lose a game.  It is also why when many on here offer that we nearly beat BAMA such and such time, it really isn't like it looks.  When you have lines that can be called on to turn up their efforts and close down the opposition, you will almost always win the game.  When we came close to BAMA on the scoreboard in the recent past at home, we got BAMA on a down year, having really bad game for them at our house and we couldn't close it.  BAMA just banged out the win, not pretty but successful.

All that said, if we really do see marked improvement in the O-line, we can have a pretty decent season.  If we can depend on the O-line opening holes and defending the QB on the pass, we gonna have fun in 2017/18.

HamSammich

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on August 20, 2017, 11:43:46 am
Red zone performance by the Offensive Line, along with limiting big plays on defense, will be the difference maker this year. If we improve in these two areas, we can win 10 games.

Thoughts?

Offensive line in every zone and the linebackers will have to be a lot better for 10 wins. It's possible with this roster but ten wins is a lot.

PorkRinds

August 20, 2017, 01:34:07 pm #3 Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 01:54:24 pm by PorkRinds
The OL and DL will be the deciders of our fate this season.

Hogopolis

The offensive line will be much improved this year.  Starting with all American Ragnow.   This unit will surprise folks starting in two weeks.  Actually 3 weeks.   FAMU is just a scrimmage. 

010HogFan

Quote from: 12247 on August 20, 2017, 12:01:14 pm
Any team that has a dominant O-line nearly always has good football team.  If you can move the ball, you can control the ball and are rarely out of any game completely.  Dominant lines is why it is rare for BAMA to lose a game.  It is also why when many on here offer that we nearly beat BAMA such and such time, it really isn't like it looks.  When you have lines that can be called on to turn up their efforts and close down the opposition, you will almost always win the game.  When we came close to BAMA on the scoreboard in the recent past at home, we got BAMA on a down year, having really bad game for them at our house and we couldn't close it.  BAMA just banged out the win, not pretty but successful.

All that said, if we really do see marked improvement in the O-line, we can have a pretty decent season.  If we can depend on the O-line opening holes and defending the QB on the pass, we gonna have fun in 2017/18.

Agree, but I don't think Bama was "down" in 2014. They lost to Ohio State in the playoff semifinal and went 12-2 lol, we win that game if our runningback doesn't fumble going into the endzone.

hoglee

To those of you who have seen the scrimmages.  Is there any way to tell if we are in fact improving on the offensive line or is this typical fall enthusiasm.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: 12247 on August 20, 2017, 12:01:14 pm

There is a nugget in this that explains why Petrino couldn't best Bama dispute having a much better offense.  However Clemson did, marked by better players across the board...and a better offense.  Can we close the gap?

PorkSoda

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 20, 2017, 01:34:07 pm
The OL and DL will be the deciders of our fate this season.
either that, or AA better be good at quick throws, and we will need the WR's and RBs to get YACs
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Al Boarland

Thoughts?

Unfortunately offenses are projected to take a step forward, so limiting big plays may be more difficult than last season.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 20, 2017, 05:39:01 pm
Unfortunately offenses are projected to take a step forward, so limiting big plays may be more difficult than last season.
then AA needs to channel his inner BA and match them big play for big play.

one thing is for sure, hoping we magically have top notch line play isn't going to win 10 games this season.  Its gonna come down to AA making some clutch plays.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Al Boarland

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 20, 2017, 05:50:52 pm
then AA needs to channel his inner BA and match them big play for big play.

one thing is for sure, hoping we magically have top notch line play isn't going to win 10 games this season.  Its gonna come down to AA making some clutch plays.

I think some posters are expecting too much improvement with respect to the defense and offensive line. JMO

RaisinHog

Well the coaches are not sunshine pumping the OL ..So who knows what we are in for lol

Cinco de Hogo

When I KNOW we have a left tackle I will talk about an improved o-line, that's all!

King Kong

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 20, 2017, 06:54:03 pm
When I KNOW we have a left tackle I will talk about an improved o-line, that's all!

Well, atleast we have an athlete good enough to play that position. Only time will tell if Kurt Anderson can coach up college kids

Al Boarland

Quote from: RaisinHog on August 20, 2017, 06:28:30 pm
Well the coaches are not sunshine pumping the OL ..So who knows what we are in for lol

That's refreshing with the way CBB was talking up the d-line last season.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 20, 2017, 06:24:30 pm
I think some posters are expecting too much improvement with respect to the defense and offensive line. JMO
Nope, you're wrong Al.  After much critical analysis, it has been determined that posters are all expecting the correct amount of improvement.

nwahogfan1

I want to see some push on running plays and no missed blocks on Passing plays.  THen and only then will I think they have improved.   If we do these two things then I think we will average over 200 ypg both passing and rushing the ball.

King Kong

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 20, 2017, 07:55:14 pm
That's refreshing with the way CBB was talking up the d-line last season.

I'm sure they looked like world beaters playing our oline last year

Al Boarland

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on August 20, 2017, 08:19:50 pm
Nope, you're wrong Al.  After much critical analysis, it has been determined that posters are all expecting the correct amount of improvement.

Thanks for the analysis.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 20, 2017, 06:24:30 pm

Why?
Go Hogs Go!

My memory is that Petrino's o-lines were not that good.  Petrino was real good at finding plays that could work with what he had and a refusal to be denied. 

My worry about this season is that the HC has always seemed to be on a steep learning curve himself since coming here.  He decides to keep assistants far beyond their use to the program.  He decides to go to one practice per day and tout the o-line only to put a weak undercondtioned group on the field for the first quarter of the season and losing to teams we shouldn't have.  He sees no value in using the second halves of the few teams we do kick around to actually train the subs.  He appears to be caught offguard in 2 of his first 4 seasons here when his choice for 2nd team QB drags up late in the teams prep and we basically go into the season with an under trained 2nd team QB.  He feels the need to offer we'll push the need for 4 quarters of football without letting up, keeping focused.  I thought was all part of coaching.  He seems to tout a particular group of the team only to find out his take just isn't quite right.  As goes our HC, so goes us.

GuvHog

Quote from: 12247 on August 20, 2017, 08:42:51 pm
My memory is that Petrino's o-lines were not that good.  Petrino was real good at finding plays that could work with what he had and a refusal to be denied. 

My worry about this season is that the HC has always seemed to be on a steep learning curve himself since coming here.  He decides to keep assistants far beyond their use to the program.  He decides to go to one practice per day and tout the o-line only to put a weak undercondtioned group on the field for the first quarter of the season and losing to teams we shouldn't have.  He sees no value in using the second halves of the few teams we do kick around to actually train the subs.  He appears to be caught offguard in 2 of his first 4 seasons here when his choice for 2nd team QB drags up late in the teams prep and we basically go into the season with an under trained 2nd team QB.  He feels the need to offer we'll push the need for 4 quarters of football without letting up, keeping focused.  I thought was all part of coaching.  He seems to tout a particular group of the team only to find out his take just isn't quite right.  As goes our HC, so goes us.

Petrino's O lines were build more for passing than running. With the exception of last season, CBB's O lines are build more for running than passing.

Clemson Head Coach Dabo Swinney realized that Clemson would not be able to out muscle Bama up front, they had to out finness them to beat them and they did.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

PorkSoda

Quote from: GuvHog on August 20, 2017, 08:52:49 pm
Petrino's O lines were build more for passing than running. With the exception of last season, CBB's O lines are build more for running than passing.

some truth to that, but there was a lag.  Petrino inherited a Oline built for the run and transformed it after a couple years into a online built for the pass that was inhereted by CBB who worked to transform it back into a run oriented line only to hire Enos who is pass oriented. 

MuskogeeHogFan

NCAA rule. It might help if you were in tune with the facts.

Additionally, since you seem to be on top of when a second teamer is supposed to be inserted, beyond our G-5 OOC games, when have we had a comfortable enough lead in the middle of the 3rd or 4th quarter, to be able to feel ok about inserting a 2nd team QB?
Go Hogs Go!

pigroots

Wow some people will whine about anything. "You play to win the game"...it really is that simple! You don't use a 2nd team qb in any game that's close so they can get reps.You play to win the game. For the hogs they have needed BA and then AA playing most all the snaps to do that

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: mrp on August 20, 2017, 09:43:08 pm
Does not change the fact that a half ass job has been tendered by BB to this point.

So I see that you are directly addressing the facts that were stated and the question that was asked. Well not exactly.
Go Hogs Go!

hawgfan4life

AL beat AL more than Clemson.  AL was dominating the first half with a comfortable lead when they started going up-tempo for some dome reason.  They sped up, made some mistakes, and gave Clemson more opportunity.  AL defense ended up defending far more than they would have and was gassed at the end of the game when it took Clemson to the final seconds to get the lead. 

oldbear

I would suggest it is very difficult for someone who doesn't know the offense and what plays are being run to know if the offensive line is significantly improving. It is hard to know whether linemen are taking correct steps and working together in the right way. A single person may look dominant, but if he is not following his correct path, he may be leaving an opening where there should not be one or leaving a gap on a pass play. A run play may pop when no one is blocked or a run play may be blocked well, but run against a defensive front where someone is unaccounted for and get stuffed. A back may go to the wrong gap on a pass play and make a lineman look bad.

Today's offenses are so different than they were 20 or 30 years ago, the only thing most of us can tell is whether they gain yardage. Trying to do much more is pretty futile.

Peter Porker

Thoughts?

you heard the guy on Bo's show? that's exactly what he said.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

hawgsalot

Quote from: oldbear on August 21, 2017, 08:26:51 am
I would suggest it is very difficult for someone who doesn't know the offense and what plays are being run to know if the offensive line is significantly improving. It is hard to know whether linemen are taking correct steps and working together in the right way. A single person may look dominant, but if he is not following his correct path, he may be leaving an opening where there should not be one or leaving a gap on a pass play. A run play may pop when no one is blocked or a run play may be blocked well, but run against a defensive front where someone is unaccounted for and get stuffed. A back may go to the wrong gap on a pass play and make a lineman look bad.

Today's offenses are so different than they were 20 or 30 years ago, the only thing most of us can tell is whether they gain yardage. Trying to do much more is pretty futile.

Very true and the armchair critics are pretty hilarious with their simplistic analysis.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 20, 2017, 08:35:44 pm
Why?
I already know his answer, we don't have the  requisite # of stars beside our names to be much improved 😋

Hoggish1

Thoughts?

Exactly.  10-2 is what we'll do and, with a break or two 11-1 is what we could see...