Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Watching the 30 for 30 on Calipari

Started by HognotinMemphis, April 30, 2017, 11:54:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

I continue to believe he is misunderstood by fans who have not had him as their team's coach. I like him and respect him for what he has accomplished and for what he stands for.

I wish Arkansas would have nabbed him the month after they fired Nolan. They would not have kept him but at least we would have had him for time that Memphis did and would have done much much better than we did with Heath and Pelphrey. But, that is life.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Sed76

He would have had some success then left us deep in trouble with the NCAA because of some shady stuff he would claim no knowledge of. No thanks, the Nolan saga set us back enough.

Hollywood_HOGan45

k.c.hawg

They would still be cleaning up the slime and grease on the sideline.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

3kgthog

I'd rather have a program full of guys that stay 2-4 years than have guns for hire that (A) don't give two rat turds about the program or the school and (B) likely won't have much to do with the program in the future. I enjoy getting to know our guys and form an attachment to them. Call it an emotional investment that lasts beyond one year.

mizzouman

Cal is about himself no matter what he says. Any college head coach that has had wins vacated at 2 programs should not be coaching.

HognotinMemphis

Those of you who commented should watch the 30 for 30. Cal is a competitor but he does what is best for his players, not necessarily what is best for the program. Not a bad thing. It brings in the best players...that is a fact.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Sed76

I did watch the show and it didn't change my opinion on the guy. He does less with more than any coach in history and still have no idea how is a HOF coach.

247Hog

April 30, 2017, 02:25:54 pm #8 Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 05:35:54 pm by 247Hog
No no no...idc i never did nor will ever want Cal. Bill Self is the man i'd want more than anyone if i had my choice.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on April 30, 2017, 11:54:40 am
I continue to believe he is misunderstood by fans who have not had him as their team's coach. I like him and respect him for what he has accomplished and for what he stands for.

I wish Arkansas would have nabbed him the month after they fired Nolan. They would not have kept him but at least we would have had him for time that Memphis did and would have done much much better than we did with Heath and Pelphrey. But, that is life.

You do realize Calipari approached ESPN about doing the 30 for 30 on him, don't you?  It was his idea.  Egomaniac of the highest order.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

jjdlc

Quote from: HoginMemphis on April 30, 2017, 01:34:02 pm
Those of you who commented should watch the 30 for 30. Cal is a competitor but he does what is best for his players, not necessarily what is best for the program. Not a bad thing. It brings in the best players...that is a fact.

Because everything they put on TV is 100% factual truth.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Here we go with these facts that are really opinions

Tusks

After nauseously sitting through it I found it funny that when he was at tigger high he didn't think the hogs were high enough profile team to play but when at umass and they won that game against the hogs after the NC he sure as shite thought they were high profile.

Through all the mess and tornado trail he leaves behind ... 1 NC  not worth it IMO.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 30, 2017, 03:08:18 pm
You do realize Calipari approached ESPN about doing the 30 for 30 on him, don't you?  It was his idea.  Egomaniac of the highest order.
How would I know or realize that? How do you know it? Was it reported? Thanks.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 30, 2017, 05:44:34 pm
Here we go with these facts that are really opinions
I see that you tracked me over to Jump Ball. 2 1/2 years of not even logging on to Hogville and in my first 10 comments, I have a stalker.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HoginMemphis on April 30, 2017, 05:58:11 pm
I see that you tracked me over to Jump Ball. 2 1/2 years of not even logging on to Hogville and in my first 10 comments, I have a stalker.

My post history suggests that I'm jump ball all the time. The all the time part in opinion.

A fact would be my post history showing I was in jump ball before you.

hogsanity

whats funny is some of the same people who say they want nothing to do with cal would sell their soul to have a certain football coach back.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BigoBoys

The one and done philosophy makes more sense after watching the show.

Porked Tongue

Let's hope these threads about him, and any convo about him ever being at Arkansas, are one and done.

247Hog

Quote from: tusked on April 30, 2017, 05:47:28 pm
After nauseously sitting through it I found it funny that when he was at tigger high he didn't think the hogs were high enough profile team to play but when at umass and they won that game against the hogs after the NC he sure as shite thought they were high profile.

Through all the mess and tornado trail he leaves behind ... 1 NC  not worth it IMO.

I believe it was the night before UK played us in the SECT that a reporter asked him if he would watch any of our game in preparations for the SEC Championship game. He basically said ehh i might watch a little if i have time. He doesn't take us serious and can't wait to knock him on his ass on a consistent basis. To bad it didn't start while Monk was there.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

widespreadsooie

Agree with OP, I'm a fan of Cal's outlook/philosophy

Gonzo

Quote from: hogsanity on April 30, 2017, 07:43:21 pm
whats funny is some of the same people who say they want nothing to do with cal would sell their soul to have a certain football coach back.

Not advocating anyone's return, but in all fairness there is a pretty sizable difference in a coach who gets himself in trouble and fired and a coach who gets the program in trouble and sanctioned while he scoots away unscathed.

Go Hogs!

SONofHAM

He does what is best for him...which coincidentally is usually what is best for his players. 
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

mizzouman

Cal does what's best for him, PERIOD.  He's not in this to necessary help kids.  That's just a by product.  He's there to win games and get paid.  Now, there's nothing wrong with that, but when you have a record of being sleazy at 4 programs, 2 of them which he had wins vacated, there's a problem.

RacinRazorback

I could barely sit through the show, he makes me sick with his better than thou attitude. he is in in it for himself and himself only! KY is his dream job because he WILL NEVER be busted by the NCAA again, he will continue to be a cheater as he has been his ENTIRE collegiate career! He shouldn't be allowed to coach in the NCAA after UMESS and MEMPHIS! He has always been a cheater and always will be! He does less with more every year! The NCAA tourney is his to lose every year and he usually does! I wish coach Chaney could have got a hold of his smug ass during that presser, it would've been sweeeet! WPS!!

HoopS

You won't win over many here. He's Kentucky's coach. He has gotten two other programs on probabtion already. It's just a matter of time with Kentucky. He just came into our state and took the best player developed here in years and you're here looking for an attaboy for the guy. Piss on him.

widespreadsooie

So many salty experts in this thread lol

HoopS

Quote from: widespreadsooie on May 01, 2017, 08:28:06 am
So many salty experts in this thread lol
we have many experts in all fields.

onebadrubi

Quote from: RacinRazorback on May 01, 2017, 08:16:03 am
I could barely sit through the show, he makes me sick with his better than thou attitude. he is in in it for himself and himself only! KY is his dream job because he WILL NEVER be busted by the NCAA again, he will continue to be a cheater as he has been his ENTIRE collegiate career! He shouldn't be allowed to coach in the NCAA after UMESS and MEMPHIS! He has always been a cheater and always will be! He does less with more every year! The NCAA tourney is his to lose every year and he usually does! I wish coach Chaney could have got a hold of his smug ass during that presser, it would've been sweeeet! WPS!!

What was that press conference thing about anyways?

carolinahogger

lol.  Self-promotion is common among prominent people.  It's often how they became and remained prominent.

colbs

Lol I said before it even premiered that it would make him look like a saint.  I watched it and still think he's shady.  At the very least he bends the rules as much as possible. 

mizzouman

Quote from: carolinahogger on May 01, 2017, 10:26:14 am
lol.  Self-promotion is common among prominent people.  It's often how they became and remained prominent.
This is why the 30 for 30 didn't show EVERYTHING.  It wasn't about one and dones or about what happening with the vacated wins.  It was about making HIM look good. 

This is I don't understand why anyone can watch this and think better of him.

Sed76

If you are a fan of the guy and love the one and done garbage fine but worship him on the Kentucky boards.

onebadrubi

If he was such a good coach, why didn't he work out in the nba?  Why has he NEVER been able to coach a team above their viewed expectations, ala a Brad Stevens type?  That's the sign of a good coach. 

Cal is just a deceitful manipulator. 

KCHOGFAN

I watched it and it confirmed my perception that he is the definition of a slimeball. 

mizzouman

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 01, 2017, 11:56:40 am
If he was such a good coach, why didn't he work out in the nba?  Why has he NEVER been able to coach a team above their viewed expectations, ala a Brad Stevens type?  That's the sign of a good coach. 

He didn't work out in the NBA for two reasons:

First, he could not control the players like he did in college.  NBA guys are grown men with families.  He did not have the influence of getting them in the NBA because they were already there. 

Lastly, he could not recruit.  In the NBA, you get what you get, well, at least for the most part.

gmarv

Quote from: RacinRazorback on May 01, 2017, 08:16:03 am
he makes me sick with his better than thou attitude. he is in in it for himself and himself only! KY is his dream job because he WILL NEVER be busted by the NCAA again, he will continue to be a cheater as he has been his ENTIRE collegiate career! He shouldn't be allowed to coach in the NCAA after UMESS and MEMPHIS! He has always been a cheater and always will be! He does less with more every year! The NCAA tourney is his to lose every year and he usually does! I wish coach Chaney could have got a hold of his smug ass during that presser, it would've been sweeeet! WPS!!
This pretty much sums up how I feel.

BigoBoys

Quote from: mizzouman on May 01, 2017, 10:58:33 am
This is why the 30 for 30 didn't show EVERYTHING.  It wasn't about one and dones or about what happening with the vacated wins.  It was about making HIM look good. 

This is I don't understand why anyone can watch this and think better of him.
It actually talked about the vacated wins and the one and done philosophy. 

HF#1

I watched the entire 30 for 30 and I walked away with a different view of him. I have a smidge of respect for him as opposed to having none before. He found his niche with the one and done and has leveraged that to achieve his goals better than anyone else. Does he cheat? Probably/Maybe..  Is he an a-hole? Yeah.  But he's a good coach that has proven you can win with young but elite players.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

Just like Saban or Spurrier or anyone else who has failed in the pro's. His style of coaching wasn't made for the pro game. You can't yell at grown men who make more than you do and are more important than you are.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on April 30, 2017, 07:43:21 pm

Please provide links to Petrino having wins vacated since you are trying to claim a parallel.

hogsanity

Quote from: ShadowHawg on May 01, 2017, 02:35:47 pm
Please provide links to Petrino having wins vacated since you are trying to claim a parallel.

I'm talking about comment like these:

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 30, 2017, 12:27:25 pm
Slime.

Quote from: k.c.hawg on April 30, 2017, 12:52:21 pm
They would still be cleaning up the slime and grease on the sideline.

Quote from: mizzouman on April 30, 2017, 12:57:35 pm
Cal is about himself no matter what he says.

Egomaniac of the highest order.
Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 01, 2017, 01:25:44 am
He's a scumbag jerk, end of story. You're delusional if you think otherwise, regardless of who you root for.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

k.c.hawg

Quote from: hogsanity on May 01, 2017, 02:55:29 pm
I'm talking about comment like these:

No need to put my quote in there. It would be very easy for you to check my feelings on the said football coach. I wanted him fired, he should have been fired, he had to be fired, I respected my University for firing him. And if he wasn't going to land side by side with a coach that was being blackmailed and extorted, I guess the next best place would have been at KY next to Cal.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

HognotinMemphis

Ok. Do not be stupid. I will pass on your comment to Lou Holtz and Nick Saban and will forward you their answers.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HF#1 on May 01, 2017, 02:02:30 pm
I watched the entire 30 for 30 and I walked away with a different view of him. I have a smidge of respect for him as opposed to having none before. He found his niche with the one and done and has leveraged that to achieve his goals better than anyone else. Does he cheat? Probably/Maybe..  Is he an a-hole? Yeah.  But he's a good coach that has proven you can win with young but elite players.
You are among the 15 to 20% who post on Hogville who maintain an open mind and are able to think critically rather than with your emotion on your sleeve.

mizzouman

Quote from: BigoBoys on May 01, 2017, 01:42:53 pm
It actually talked about the vacated wins and the one and done philosophy. 
For about 2 minutes.

mizzouman

Quote from: HF#1 on May 01, 2017, 02:02:30 pm
The end does not justify the means.  He got great players by cheating.  Now, he doesn't have to cheat as much.  Yes, he got players to the NBA, but I'm pretty sure the kids that went to the NBA would have went with or without Cal. 

It's not like he got a bunch of 2 star guys and made them millionaires in the NBA.  Now, THAT would be a story.  But he got guys that would go to the NBA anyway.

J-Five

After watching the 30 for 30, I respect and admire Cal even MORE than I did.  He's a great recruiter that truly cares about his players and wants them to be successful.  I can't ever knock that.....just my take.
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

J-Five

I find it funny all of the folks calling Cal an "A-Hole", etc.  You don't even know the man personally. LOL.  He must not be that much of an "A-Hole" if parents keep sending their kids to play for him....
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

HF#1

Quote from: mizzouman on May 02, 2017, 08:11:09 am
The end does not justify the means.  He got great players by cheating.  Now, he doesn't have to cheat as much.  Yes, he got players to the NBA, but I'm pretty sure the kids that went to the NBA would have went with or without Cal. 

It's not like he got a bunch of 2 star guys and made them millionaires in the NBA.  Now, THAT would be a story.  But he got guys that would go to the NBA anyway.

In my opinion it isn't so much about getting guys to the NBA. It's about taking players who know they are elite, who have ego's, who know they will play in the league, and getting them to play as a cohesive unit for one year.

The teams that don't play so much as a unit falter in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8. The teams that do buy in and play as a unit get to the final four and win a championship.

I'll also add that folks who say he isn't a great coach are just experiencing sour grapes. He coaches his ass off every game and knows his x's and o's.