Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Enos

Started by hawgtime, April 24, 2017, 12:09:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 24, 2017, 02:52:16 pm
Mine too. 
Highly unlikely. If things are good then BB will stick around. If things are bad enough he's forced out, they aren't going to keep the OC.

bennyl08

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 25, 2017, 09:16:21 pm
My name is Bruce Phillips. I created my account here during football season in 2006 at a time I knew nothing about social media and very little about the internet. I didn't know what a "screen name" was, but I entered a name the IT guy at UA's law school gave me when he set up an account for me while I was teaching there during the previous summer.  Then I saw all the clever anonymous screen names people use here and wished I'd known what I was doing. I would have used something like "E Pluribus Porcus". 

But I agree with G Chamblee. If you're going to take a position in a public forum, you ought to have the sack to use your own name. When Nutt lovers were whining about Cheetoh eaters in their mother's basement, I was happy to post my name, address and phone number. At that point it made no sense to change my screen name here.

part of my name is on here.

However, with internet becoming popular in my teens and such, I prefer that people on here typically only be able to communicate with me through hogville and not be able to find my work email, trying to contact people I might know, or find my house (at least when I was in Arkansas) etc... I'm not very trusting of the internet. You could probably find me by searching through all my posts and putting the pieces together, but it's not going to all be in one place at least.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 25, 2017, 06:50:59 pm
God Bless You, Benny. 

There's an old saying that law students enter law school wanting to do good, and they leave wanting to do well.  Your principles are admirable, even though some might find them naïve.  Your standards may change when your wife decides she wants a nice home in which to raise your children.  Enos has two.  But your standards can increase without compromising your principles or changing what you love to do.  It just takes more money. Enos didn't change professions.

Somehow you extended my comment that we work for money to "people get no fulfillment from their jobs whatsoever and only do it for the paycheck".  I didn't say that.  Kenny Rogers once told me "Find a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life."  I told him that was easy for him to say.  I've been blessed to have spent the last twenty-five years representing celebrities.  Most of the time I love my job.  It doesn't seem like long ago that I was sharing rent in a house off Highway 16 with a friend in law school.  I've never been happier than when we would catch the white bass making their run up the White River, or when I was catching smallies wading in the Kings.  I could be really happy living in a holler in Newton County by a stream - but my wife wouldn't be, and my kids wouldn't have all the opportunities they have available in a city like Nashville, Tennessee.  If they grow up and want to live in a holler in the Ozarks, that will tickle me, but if they want to work on Wall Street, I want them to have that opportunity, too.  It gets expensive.

So back to Dan Enos.  Here's a link to an article I read just before I made my first post in this thread:       

http://footballscoop.com/news/dan-enos-left-central-michigan-go/

The article states "Enos felt he had to take an offer on the table from Arkansas, and told his staff he had to do what was best for his family."  It then goes on to discuss Enos' salary at Central Michigan and speculates about what he would make at Arkansas.  There isn't but one way to interpret that - Enos made the move because he doubled his salary.  And THAT was the point of my post.  He may leave to take a head coach job or an OC job that includes a substantial raise, but he's not leaving, in my opinion, to go backwards in salary, not even for a head coaching job.  And there are currently about 35 FBS schools with head coaches who make less than Enos makes at Arkansas.

You can be excused at your age for thinking that someone who makes more than $375,000 per year will simply save the rest.  Trust me, people who make multiples of what Enos makes now manage to spend 110% of their income.  Doesn't mean you will, but my point is that most people, especially at Dan Enos' level, will go with the job that pays them the most money.  In other words, to keep him, we have to compete with those who want him.  If he accepts a job as head coach at a P5 school, more power to him.  He's definitely one of my favorite Razorbacks assistants in recent memory. 

I agree about Dan Enos. He is obviously a good coach and he will have his opportunities for a better job going forward. I would imagine that in the future, when AD's look at his body of work at Arkansas, they'll just shake their heads and say something like, "Imagine what they could have done if they just had a good defense". Of course we are all hoping that the worm turns for us this year in terms of defense.

And I also agree that Enos probably isn't going to take any HC'ing job at any level for less pay, just to be a HC again. I could be wrong, but that just wouldn't make any sense. As an OC in the SEC West, it is reasonable to assume that if he can put together a good offense that moves the ball against the quality of defenses that we face (and the quality of players that man those defenses) with lesser recruiting classes that are what we have to face at Arkansas, he could produce the same at any other P-5 conference in the country. I think he can parlay that level of production into a HC'ing job at a P-5 school. It is probably just a matter of time before someone either offers him more than we are willing to pay for a top OC or he gets that top job somewhere.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 26, 2017, 06:32:10 am
I agree about Dan Enos. He is obviously a good coach and he will have his opportunities for a better job going forward. I would imagine that in the future, when AD's look at his body of work at Arkansas, they'll just shake their heads and say something like, "Imagine what they could have done if they just had a good defense". Of course we are all hoping that the worm turns for us this year in terms of defense.

And I also agree that Enos probably isn't going to take any HC'ing job at any level for less pay, just to be a HC again. I could be wrong, but that just wouldn't make any sense. As an OC in the SEC West, it is reasonable to assume that if he can put together a good offense that moves the ball against the quality of defenses that we face (and the quality of players that man those defenses) with lesser recruiting classes that are what we have to face at Arkansas, he could produce the same at any other P-5 conference in the country. I think he can parlay that level of production into a HC'ing job at a P-5 school. It is probably just a matter of time before someone either offers him more than we are willing to pay for a top OC or he gets that top job somewhere.

Dan Enos is a really good OC. He and Bielema are well matched.  He also seems to be a solid guy.

If you look closely, though, Enos may not be as attractive as a head coach at the P5 level as many here think.  He will be 50 in 2018.  Not old, but not a rising star, either.  His 28-38 record at Central Michigan, a team that is 590-388-37 all-time, was disappointing.  If a P5 school considers him, absent something truly extraordinary from Arkansas, it will likely be a lower tier team where success will be very difficult. Maybe a deep-pocket AAC school like SMU would consider him. SMU is paying Chad Morris $2.2M.

Did Enos come to Arkansas with the expectation that he could use it as a springboard to a high-paying head coaching job?  Certainly he would like that, and we should hope it happens for him.  But Enos himself has said he plans to be at Arkansas for a while and that he is committed to winning here. He has a great job. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't in Fayettevill for a few more years.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 26, 2017, 07:42:09 am
Dan Enos is a really good OC. He and Bielema are well matched.  He also seems to be a solid guy.

If you look closely, though, Enos may not be as attractive as a head coach at the P5 level as many here think.  He will be 50 in 2018.  Not old, but not a rising star, either.  His 28-38 record at Central Michigan, a team that is 590-388-37 all-time, was disappointing.  If a P5 school considers him, absent something truly extraordinary from Arkansas, it will likely be a lower tier team where success will be very difficult. Maybe a deep-pocket AAC school like SMU would consider him. SMU is paying Chad Morris $2.2M.

Did Enos come to Arkansas with the expectation that he could use it as a springboard to a high-paying head coaching job?  Certainly he would like that, and we should hope it happens for him.  But Enos himself has said he plans to be at Arkansas for a while and that he is committed to winning here. He has a great job. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't in Fayettevill for a few more years.

I think that Coordinator's really evaluate the offers that they receive and won't just jump to another job because it pays more. Look at Lincoln Riley the OC at Oklahoma. According to Bruce Feldman, he turned down an offer to become the HC at Houston where Herman was supposed to be making 3 mil a year. Now it is safe to say that Riley isn't making 3 mil to be the OC at Oklahoma, so if it were all about money, why wouldn't he jump at that chance?

For Enos, it would have to be what he considers to be the right offer. But if Bielema ever winds up being on the hot seat at Arkansas, the parameters for what the "right offer" is, may widen a bit. I'd say that we might have him for another couple of years or so, max. You certainly don't want to get to the point where everyone (the football community) knows that you are so settled in the position where you are, that your name tends to not be considered when other jobs come open.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 26, 2017, 07:56:53 am
I think that Coordinator's really evaluate the offers that they receive and won't just jump to another job because it pays more. Look at Lincoln Riley the OC at Oklahoma. According to Bruce Feldman, he turned down an offer to become the HC at Houston where Herman was supposed to be making 3 mil a year. Now it is safe to say that Riley isn't making 3 mil to be the OC at Oklahoma, so if it were all about money, why wouldn't he jump at that chance?

For Enos, it would have to be what he considers to be the right offer. But if Bielema ever winds up being on the hot seat at Arkansas, the parameters for what the "right offer" is, may widen a bit. I'd say that we might have him for another couple of years or so, max. You certainly don't want to get to the point where everyone (the football community) knows that you are so settled in the position where you are, that your name tends to not be considered when other jobs come open.

Agreed. In other words, Dan Enos is a very bright guy.  He's worth every penny we pay him and then some. I hope he's here at least two more years.  If we can find a QB 2018 could be pretty good.

jkstock04

The irony here drips considering threads just like this one used to exist about Robb Smith lol.

Where I think Enos excels the most is as QB coach. We improved at qb leaps and bounds when he arrived. Not surprisingly...the last guy we had probably would've had trouble simply walking on to the field much less working out with the qbs teaching mechanics. I agree with the sentiment that we probably won't have Enos much longer unless we throw serious $$$ at him like Bama does their coordinators.

Not sure how the thread devolved into Benny's 25k salary lol. But I do gotta say if you can put back 5k into retirement from 25k salary, that's pretty impressive. I would bet the guy arguing with him is a millennial neck deep in braindead debt. It doesn't matter how much money you make, it matters how much you save and increased net worth.

Let's say a guy has a salary of 500k/year lives the cosmopolitan lifestyle and by years end he has a personal net gain of 10k after expenses. Now take a guy making 50k more conservative and at the end of the year he has a personal net gain of 15k. Who "made more money?" Most of America would say the guy with the 500k salary. I would say no, actually all he did was spend more. In my mind the 50k guy "made" more.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

factchecker

Here is a cool little video of Coach Enos (and Coach Rhoads) mic'd up those who don't have social media:

https://twitter.com/VidHogs/status/851540534074241024
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 26, 2017, 08:18:08 am
The irony here drips considering threads just like this one used to exist about Robb Smith lol.

Where I think Enos excels the most is as QB coach. We improved at qb leaps and bounds when he arrived. Not surprisingly...the last guy we had probably would've had trouble simply walking on to the field much less working out with the qbs teaching mechanics. I agree with the sentiment that we probably won't have Enos much longer unless we throw serious $$$ at him like Bama does their coordinators.

I'm not sure I see the irony considering that Robb Smith had one good year here and took a nose dive in production from there. Enos has in fact, done a solid job even when there were problems in other areas of the offense as last year, with the O-Line. Different levels of production entirely.

And he is a good developer of QB's here at Arkansas, but that was spoken of when he was hired based on what he had done with QB's at Central Michigan. I may be wrong and time will tell, but I see Austin Allen tracking in terms of development, confidence and production along the same lines as his big brother, Brandon. I think this year will be a very good year for Austin and that should help the team tremendously.

The one exception that I might take with Enos (and I only say this because I am not on the inside and don't know the truth of the matter) is that we continue to fail to adequately prepare a back-up QB. I don't know how much of that is attributed to Enos or how much of that is due to Bielema. That is something that we need to work on getting better at in the future. I don't expect the back-up to be as good as the starter or else he might be starting, but he does need to get enough reps that if he should have to be thrown into a game situation that he doesn't respond with a "deer in the headlights" look.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 25, 2017, 10:57:32 pm
part of my name is on here.

However, with internet becoming popular in my teens and such, I prefer that people on here typically only be able to communicate with me through hogville and not be able to find my work email, trying to contact people I might know, or find my house (at least when I was in Arkansas) etc... I'm not very trusting of the internet. You could probably find me by searching through all my posts and putting the pieces together, but it's not going to all be in one place at least.

I wasn't being critical of you at all.  I posted a lot about my personal experiences with Houston Nutt, Sr. and Jr. and brothers here 10 years ago and felt like I should identify myself if I was going to say things critical of them.  Not everything I said was bad.  I grew up playing football, basketball and baseball with Danny and Dennis and watched their dad coach.  I thought I could give some insight into how Jr. got to be the way he is. I got one really nasty email, but that was it. 

Journalists have been writing for centuries under their own names.  They are exposed. They are held to a higher standard than we are here and should be.  But sports writers in Arkansas (and elsewhere to a greater or lesser extent) are also under pressure not to rock the boat if they want access and jobs.  I've spoken to some who have told me this. Mike Irwin is about the most candid sportswriter in Arkansas, and he has paid for it at times.  He knows more than he can say publicly.

In any event, I respect those here who post anonymously. All of our opinions are worth the same, and we know what that is.

jkstock04

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 26, 2017, 08:28:48 am
I'm not sure I see the irony considering that Robb Smith had one good year here and took a nose dive in production from there. Enos has in fact, done a solid job even when there were problems in other areas of the offense as last year, with the O-Line. Different levels of production entirely.

And he is a good developer of QB's here at Arkansas, but that was spoken of when he was hired based on what he had done with QB's at Central Michigan. I may be wrong and time will tell, but I see Austin Allen tracking in terms of development, confidence and production along the same lines as his big brother, Brandon. I think this year will be a very good year for Austin and that should help the team tremendously.

The one exception that I might take with Enos (and I only say this because I am not on the inside and don't know the truth of the matter) is that we continue to fail to adequately prepare a back-up QB. I don't know how much of that is attributed to Enos or how much of that is due to Bielema. That is something that we need to work on getting better at in the future. I don't expect the back-up to be as good as the starter or else he might be starting, but he does need to get enough reps that if he should have to be thrown into a game situation that he doesn't respond with a "deer in the headlights" look.
It's absolutely ironic. How long would it take me to find a 2014 thread of everyone gushing over Robb Smith?

As far as 2nd string qbs...you gotta think that's Bielemas call 100%. In my opinion it's just not something he really believes in. If we have to play a 2nd string qb and our run game gets stuffed we are probably in trouble. I still have nightmares about AJ Derby taking snaps.

I saw someone mention on here once that when Lou Holtz was coach...no matter the game or the situation, he would play the entire 2nd team on the 2nd series of every game. Is that true? Before my time so I wouldn't know for sure. Sounds like a great idea to me though as far as building quality depth and experience.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 26, 2017, 08:40:14 am
It's absolutely ironic. How long would it take me to find a 2014 thread of everyone gushing over Robb Smith?

As far as 2nd string qbs...you gotta think that's Bielemas call 100%. In my opinion it's just not something he really believes in. If we have to play a 2nd string qb and our run game gets stuffed we are probably in trouble. I still have nightmares about AJ Derby taking snaps.

I saw someone mention on here once that when Lou Holtz was coach...no matter the game or the situation, he would play the entire 2nd team on the 2nd series of every game. Is that true? Before my time so I wouldn't know for sure. Sounds like a great idea to me though as far as building quality depth and experience.

I wouldn't do this these days in an SEC game unless my team was Alabama. There just isn't enough talented, developed and experienced depth at most schools to make that a reasonable proposition, especially when during the first 2-3 series of a game you are learning what your opponent is doing so that you can adjust your game plan. But to your question, I never heard of Dr. Lou doing that, but he might have. Different era of college football.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 26, 2017, 08:28:48 am

When Enos was hired I looked at places where he came in as OC and saw tremendous increases in QB rating during his first year.  I think he was influenced to come here because he saw a situation ripe for that to happen at Arkansas. It did.  I also think AA is going to have an outstanding year.

If anything is disappointing about Enos' offense it is its failure to produce in the red zone. Enos seems to go ultra-conservative, mano-a-mano, in short yardage situations.  That or a trick play.  I'm not sure how much of that is attributable to Bielema, but Chaney was the same way.  We have to be less predictable when the defense stacks 8 in the box. Hit 'em where they ain't.  We've lost several games under Bielema trying to prove we can impose our will.  Get a new plan there.

jkstock04

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 26, 2017, 08:45:44 am
When Enos was hired I looked at places where he came in as OC and saw tremendous increases in QB rating during his first year.  I think he was influenced to come here because he saw a situation ripe for that to happen at Arkansas. It did.  I also think AA is going to have an outstanding year.

If anything is disappointing about Enos' offense it is its failure to produce in the red zone. Enos seems to go ultra-conservative, mano-a-mano, in short yardage situations.  That or a trick play.  I'm not sure how much of that is attributable to Bielema, but Chaney was the same way.  We have to be less predictable when the defense stacks 8 in the box. Hit 'em where they ain't.  We've lost several games under Bielema trying to prove we can impose our will.  Get a new plan there.
Depends on our identity too. What "we" do best on offense. That A&M deal last year was a defining moment where we were officially not a smash mouth identity team anymore. To me, that was a pivotal moment of our season. What's it gonna be this year...our identity that is?

Bielemas vision for our identity is to bowling ball over 8 plus guys in the box. Road grade NFL quality O-line that can get 5 yards/carry regardless of the situation. I 100% would be all for that, but I'm skeptical he can accomplish it. If we have an identical situation as the A&M situation last year in the red zone what will be the call?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 26, 2017, 08:45:44 am

As I said either in this thread or another (don't remember) Enos can call the plays but it is up to the players to execute, which depending on their level of maturity, experience and developed judgement, as well as how well they deal with pressure, they may or may not do very well.

FanOnTheHill provided a good example of this in one of our games where we were on the goal line (1 or 2 yard line) and we were facing an 8 man front and if Allen had been paying attention on one of his inside runs, had he bounced over one hole, he could have walked into the EZ (you could see it when they lined up...big gap left open), but instead he ran right into the teeth of the alignment and was stuffed. That might change with experience, better vision, more calmness under fire in a key situation, one would hope.

And there were times that we tried to force the ball (pass) in key situations that resulted in INT's killing the drive either in the RZ of our opponents, or deep in our own end of the field that set our opponents up for easy scores. We shot ourselves in the foot too many times. Here are a few examples.

Vs. Alabama (49-30 Loss)
Kick Off Reception   We fumble, give Alabama the ball at our 29 yard line, they score 7.
2nd Quarter   2nd and 7 at our own 23, we fumble, recovered by Alabama who runs 23 yards for 7.
2nd Quarter   1st and 18 at Alabama 18 yard line. 11 yard completion, incomplete, incomplete, settle for FG. Unsportsmanlike on Hogs, assessed on KO.
3rd Quarter   1st and 10 at our own 3 yard line, incomplete, incomplete, thrown INT at our own 18. Alabama scores in 4 plays for another 7.
3rd Quarter   1st and 10 at Alabama 39. Run for no gain, incomplete, run for no gain, thrown INT to end drive.
4th Quarter   1st and 10 at Alabama 12 yard line. Sacked for 8 yds then a thrown INT that is returned 100 yards for 7 points.
Points left on the field:    Minimum of 6, maxium of 18.
Points Given Away:   28

Vs. Missouri    (28-24 Loss)
1st Quarter   1st and 10 at Missouri 37. Incompletion, false start penalty, incompletion, sack for -9 yards, punt to Missouri 10 where they fumble, we don't recover.
2nd Quarter   1st and 10 at Missouri 16. Incomplete, run for 8 yards, run for -7 yards, settle for FG.
2nd Quarter   Fumble recovery at Ark 35, completion for 15 yards, incompletion, 20 yard completion, missed FG from Missouri 38.
3rd Quarter   1st and Goal at Missouri 8 yard line. Run for no gain, run for 5 yards, thrown INT to kill drive at Missouri 3 yard line.
4th Quarter   1st and Goal at Missouri 4 yard line. Run for 3 yards, run for -1 yard, run for -3 yards, thrown INT to kill drive.
4th Quarter   1st and Goal at Missouri 9 yard line. Incomplete/holding penalty, completion for -1 yard, incompletion, incompletion, sack for 17 yards, intentional grounding.
Points left on the field:    13 to 24

Vs. Va Tech    (35-24 Loss)
1st Quarter   1st and 10 at VT 26. Incompletion, 9 yard run, run for -3 yards, settle for FG.
2nd Quarter   1st and 10 at VT 34. Completion for 4 yards, completion for -4 yards, incompletion, punt from VT 34.
3rd Quarter   3rd and 19 at Ark 16, completion for 14 yards, fumble, recovered by VT, 3 plays later VT scores 7.
3rd Quarter   3rd and 10 at Ark 33. Thrown INT at Ark 44. 6 plays later, VT scores another 7.
3rd Quarter   1st and 10 at our own 16. Thrown INT returned to our 5 yard line. 1 play and VT scores 7 more.
4th Quarter   3rd and 17 at our own 17. Thrown INT returned to our 8 yard line. 2 plays later, VT scores 7 more.
Points left on the field:    4 to 10
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 26, 2017, 09:05:35 am
As I said either in this thread or another (don't remember) Enos can call the plays but it is up to the players to execute, which depending on their level of maturity, experience and developed judgement, as well as how well they deal with pressure, they may or may not do very well.

FanOnTheHill provided a good example of this in one of our games where we were on the goal line (1 or 2 yard line) and we were facing an 8 man front and if Allen had been paying attention on one of his inside runs, had he bounced over one hole, he could have walked into the EZ (you could see it when they lined up...big gap left open), but instead he ran right into the teeth of the alignment and was stuffed. That might change with experience, better vision, more calmness under fire in a key situation, one would hope.

And there were times that we tried to force the ball (pass) in key situations that resulted in INT's killing the drive either in the RZ of our opponents, or deep in our own end of the field that set our opponents up for easy scores. We shot ourselves in the foot too many times. Here are a few examples.

Vs. Alabama (49-30 Loss)
Kick Off Reception   We fumble, give Alabama the ball at our 29 yard line, they score 7.
2nd Quarter   2nd and 7 at our own 23, we fumble, recovered by Alabama who runs 23 yards for 7.
2nd Quarter   1st and 18 at Alabama 18 yard line. 11 yard completion, incomplete, incomplete, settle for FG. Unsportsmanlike on Hogs, assessed on KO.
3rd Quarter   1st and 10 at our own 3 yard line, incomplete, incomplete, thrown INT at our own 18. Alabama scores in 4 plays for another 7.
3rd Quarter   1st and 10 at Alabama 39. Run for no gain, incomplete, run for no gain, thrown INT to end drive.
4th Quarter   1st and 10 at Alabama 12 yard line. Sacked for 8 yds then a thrown INT that is returned 100 yards for 7 points.
Points left on the field:    Minimum of 6, maxium of 18.

Vs. Missouri    (28-24 Loss)
1st Quarter   1st and 10 at Missouri 37. Incompletion, false start penalty, incompletion, sack for -9 yards, punt to Missouri 10 where they fumble, we don't recover.
2nd Quarter   1st and 10 at Missouri 16. Incomplete, run for 8 yards, run for -7 yards, settle for FG.
2nd Quarter   Fumble recovery at Ark 35, completion for 15 yards, incompletion, 20 yard completion, missed FG from Missouri 38.
3rd Quarter   1st and Goal at Missouri 8 yard line. Run for no gain, run for 5 yards, thrown INT to kill drive at Missouri 3 yard line.
4th Quarter   1st and Goal at Missouri 4 yard line. Run for 3 yards, run for -1 yard, run for -3 yards, thrown INT to kill drive.
4th Quarter   1st and Goal at Missouri 9 yard line. Incomplete/holding penalty, completion for -1 yard, incompletion, incompletion, sack for 17 yards, intentional grounding.
Points left on the field:    13 to 24

Vs. Va Tech    (35-24 Loss)
1st Quarter   1st and 10 at VT 26. Incompletion, 9 yard run, run for -3 yards, settle for FG.
2nd Quarter   1st and 10 at VT 34. Completion for 4 yards, completion for -4 yards, incompletion, punt from VT 34.
3rd Quarter   3rd and 19 at Ark 16, completion for 14 yards, fumble, recovered by VT, 3 plays later VT scores 7.
3rd Quarter   3rd and 10 at Ark 33. Thrown INT at Ark 44. 6 plays later, VT scores another 7.
3rd Quarter   1st and 10 at our own 16. Thrown INT returned to our 5 yard line. 1 play and VT scores 7 more.
4th Quarter   3rd and 17 at our own 17. Thrown INT returned to our 8 yard line. 2 plays later, VT scores 7 more.
Points left on the field:    4 to 10

I disagree to an extent.  Yes, it's up to the players to execute. It's up the coaches to call plays that give them a chance to succeed.

I'm talking here about deep red zone and short yardage with the game in balance. Case in point is the 2014 A&M game.  4th and 1 in overtime.  A&M had 12 in the box.  Henry was uncovered on the left.  A bootleg with Henry as a safety valve was a no brainer. Booger McFarland mentioned it later. We run Collins straight into the teeth of the defense.  Game over.  That was Chaney, but fast forward to 2016 and Chavis knows Bielema's tendencies. We failed time and again running into the teeth of A&M's strength.

We run an NFL offense.  We are going to have to take a page from the NFL on the goal line and call some play action earlier in the series.  Post, fade, crossing routes and screens are staples there. 

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 26, 2017, 08:40:14 am

I guess you never watched much of Wisconsin before he came here. He played different QB's, pulling the plug on one, for another. I don't know if it was because neither could do the job, or what, but he had two QB's playing. I think they were ecstatic when they got Wilson, no need for a #2.

hawg66

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 25, 2017, 03:18:25 pm
I love how it turned from Enos to Benny's meager salary.

Sorry Benny, but that right there is funny  ;D.

jbigs77

Quote from: hawgtime on April 24, 2017, 12:09:55 pm
I don't know how it happened, but I believe that we dodged a bullet in not losing Enos.  he is the continuity that we need for this offense.  Now, grab some explosive offensive players and let's take some pressure off of the QB, RB and defense.

Go hogs!
I think he is a good coach. But, lets not get carried away. How many points did we score the second half of our last two games?

gchamblee

Quote from: jbigs77 on April 26, 2017, 11:54:09 am
I think he is a good coach. But, lets not get carried away. How many points did we score the second half of our last two games?

I really don't blame the playcalling for that.

The Kig

Quote from: gchamblee on April 26, 2017, 12:48:53 pm
I really don't blame the playcalling for that.

Don't bother...pointless at this stage to try to convince the intentionally blind to open their eyes.  Post after post, thread after thread have detailed out the failed execution and errors, any one of which would likely have changed the outcome of both games.  Did Enos demonstrate flawless play calling on every single play of the year?  No, but on the balance, he was easily one of the top play callers in the SEC.   
Poker Porker

bphi11ips

Quote from: The Kig on April 27, 2017, 11:05:32 am
he was easily one of the top play callers in the SEC.   

No question he is between the 20s.  I think Bielema handcuffs him in the red zone. 

elksnort

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 24, 2017, 02:31:24 pm
The question is does he want to be a head coach again?  Some people are happier being at a lower spot after being a head coach before.
Exactly, and not every very good to great assistant coach makes a great head coach.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 27, 2017, 11:51:22 am
No question he is between the 20s.  I think Bielema handcuffs him in the red zone. 

I know there is a lot of talk about that but the play selection when we have failed in the RZ doesn't sound like that is the case.
Go Hogs Go!

HogHomer

Or our players have a mental block in the Red Zone severely limiting the plays we can comfortably call. Why would CBB give him full reigns see how successful he is between the 20s then decide to shut him down in the Red Zone

gchamblee

I just don't see this

The Kig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 27, 2017, 11:58:54 am
I know there is a lot of talk about that but the play selection when we have failed in the RZ doesn't sound like that is the case.

Parallels to Kiffin/Saban at Bama.  The HC has a lower risk tolerance than the OC.  Both HCs allow for some creativity, until it doesn't appear to be working and then fall back to their safe view of the Offense.  Saban was more vocal about it, which is his right as HC.  We saw evidence of it at times with playcalling from CBB, but he wasn't as visibly critical of his OC.  Bama has the horses to prove Saban right and they can impose their will at times.  IMHO,  the wrong time to go safe is when you miss a few.   True, there is more risk in letting the OC stick to their gameplan, but big plays are more likely when the defense doesn't know the play and has to account for all of your offensive weapons. 
Poker Porker

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The Kig on April 27, 2017, 12:25:02 pm
Parallels to Kiffin/Saban at Bama.  The HC has a lower risk tolerance than the OC.  Both HCs allow for some creativity, until it doesn't appear to be working and then fall back to their safe view of the Offense.  Saban was more vocal about it, which is his right as HC.  We saw evidence of it at times with playcalling from CBB, but he wasn't as visibly critical of his OC.  Bama has the horses to prove Saban right and they can impose their will at times.  IMHO,  the wrong time to go safe is when you miss a few.   True, there is more risk in letting the OC stick to their gameplan, but big plays are more likely when the defense doesn't know the play and has to account for all of your offensive weapons. 

Look at these examples when we failed in the RZ against our opponents last season.

Vs. TCU
1st and 10 at TCU 22, Incomplete, 2 yd run, Incomplete, we settle for a FG.
1st and 10 at TCU 10 yard line, 3 yard run, 2 yard loss on run, Incompletion, we settle for another FG.
1st and Goal at TCU 2 yard line, run for a 4 yard loss, run for 2 yards, Incomplete, FG attempt is no good.

Vs. A&M
1st and Goal at A&M 9 yard line, 8 yard run to 1 yard line, fumble the ball away.
On a drive that started at our own 5, 1st and Goal at A&M 2 Yard line. 1 yard run, QB sneak for no gain, QB Sneak for no gain, run for loss of 5.
1st and 10 at A&M 11, 2 yard reception, Incomplete, Incomplete, Incomplete.

Vs. Alabama
1st and 18 at Alabama 18 yard line. 11 yard completion, incomplete, incomplete, settle for FG. Unsportsmanlike on Hogs, assessed on KO.
1st and 10 at Alabama 12 yard line. Sacked for 8 yds then a thrown INT that is returned 100 yards for 7 points.

Vs. Ole Miss
1st and 10 at Ole Miss 20. Run for no gain, run for 2 yards, incompletion, settle for FG.
1st and 10 at Ole Miss 18. Fumble back to Ole Miss 48, incompletion, incompletion, punt.

Vs. Missouri
1st and Goal at Missouri 8 yard line. Run for no gain, run for 5 yards, thrown INT to kill drive at Missouri 3 yard line.
1st and Goal at Missouri 4 yard line. Run for 3 yards, run for -1 yard, run for -3 yards, thrown INT to kill drive.
1st and Goal at Missouri 9 yard line. Incomplete/holding penalty, completion for -1 yard, incompletion, incompletion, sack for 17 yards, intentional grounding.

How many of those sound like Bielema was suggesting the play call or intervening? I'm not sure I can say with any degree of certainty.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: gchamblee on April 27, 2017, 12:22:51 pm
I just don't see this

Okay.  I took the time to explain myself.  Seems like you and Muskogee could do the same.  Why do we run an "NFL" offense between the twenties and then try and run over dlines like A&M's over and over inside the 5?  What do NFL teams do inside the 5?  You have to be able to run and pass inside the 5 just like you do between the 20s. Austin Allen has proven he will stand in the pocket and take a hit.  That's what it will take to loosen up SEC defenses inside the 5.  Until we do that we'll continue to take a knife to a gun fight on the goal line.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 27, 2017, 12:42:05 pm
Okay.  I took the time to explain myself.  Seems like you and Muskogee could do the same.  Why do we run an "NFL" offense between the twenties and then try and run over dlines like A&M's over and over inside the 5?  What do NFL teams do inside the 5?  You have to be able to run and pass inside the 5 just like you do between the 20s. Austin Allen has proven he will stand in the pocket and take a hit.  That's what it will take to loosen up SEC defenses inside the 5.  Until we do that we'll continue to take a knife to a gun fight on the goal line.

I did, look above.
Go Hogs Go!

colbs

Besides the A&M example it seemed to be pretty balanced between run & pass as shown above.  I just highly doubt that BB handcuffs Enos when he gets in the red zone.  If every red zone situation was like that A&M sequence then maybe I could buy it but that's not the case.  A lot of the red zone issues IMO had to do with the OL and Sprinkle being hurt a lot this year.  It's tougher to score In the red zone and it's even tougher with a so-so OL.  They use the TE a lot and really didn't have a great catching TE besides Sprinkle last year. 

The Kig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 27, 2017, 12:43:27 pm
I did, look above.

Several of the examples provided (run on 1st & 2nd, forced to throw on 3rd; run on all 3) are "safe" playcalling.  Was it CBB or Enos?  Who knows...that's pure speculation.  I think the point is, regardless of who "called that play, brotha" not to be predictable.   
Poker Porker

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 27, 2017, 12:43:27 pm
I did, look above.

I think we crossed in the ether, but good post. 

gchamblee

Muskogee has done such an excellent job of explaining it that there is no reason for me to add to it.

LZH

Without Enos we may have been lucky to have won 4 games last year.

Oh, and whoever first said "money can't buy you happiness"...........was broke.

bennyl08

Quote from: LZH on April 27, 2017, 04:38:59 pm
Without Enos we may have been lucky to have won 4 games last year.

Oh, and whoever first said "money can't buy you happiness"...........was broke.

I mean, have you every seen somebody sad on a jet ski? No, because it's impossible to be sad while riding one of those and money can buy a jet ski.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

LZH

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 27, 2017, 04:49:35 pm
I mean, have you every seen somebody sad on a jet ski? No, because it's impossible to be sad while riding one of those and money can buy a jet ski.

Like I said in the other thread - my buddy's granddad (who was a farmer btw) used to say "people don't have money problems....they have auger problems" (as in 'boring with too big of an......').