Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Since Nolan, everyone's pace

Started by Tuskya, March 22, 2017, 07:23:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuskya

is faster...

from article on NCAA.com, June 8, 2015

The Pace of Play

...the panel approved several proposals to improve the pace of play. The most significant is reducing the shot clock to 30 seconds. The shot clock was last reduced for the 1993-94 season when it went from 45 seconds to 35.

Hawg414

at the time of the shot clock reduction, i remember thinking how this was terrible news for the hogs.  or at least for how we were trying to play.  seems like many people thought this was great news... its going to speed the game up, which is what we want!  but no, it actually has an adverse effect in that it makes ALL teams play closer to the style we were trying to play, which diminishes the advantage we gained by forcing teams to play faster than they wanted to play.

to this day, when discussing why our old version of "hawgball" wont work nowadays, people only mention an extra tv timeout... or rules against hand checking.  and while those things certainly didnt help, i still contend that shortening the shot clock by 33% has had every bit as much of an effect in negating this style as much as anything else has.

LRHog

Quote from: Hawg414 on March 22, 2017, 03:40:24 pm
at the time of the shot clock reduction, i remember thinking how this was terrible news for the hogs.  or at least for how we were trying to play.  seems like many people thought this was great news... its going to speed the game up, which is what we want!  but no, it actually has an adverse effect in that it makes ALL teams play closer to the style we were trying to play, which diminishes the advantage we gained by forcing teams to play faster than they wanted to play.

to this day, when discussing why our old version of "hawgball" wont work nowadays, people only mention an extra tv timeout... or rules against hand checking.  and while those things certainly didnt help, i still contend that shortening the shot clock by 33% has had every bit as much of an effect in negating this style as much as anything else has.

I can understand this sentiment... but on the other hand, reducing the shot clock by 33% means that theres more running in the game. You get players moving up and down the court more, which plays into fatigue... Now a lot of players are more conditioned then before, so whether or its a net gain or loss is harder to quantify.

I still believe most of the reasons nolans style of play worked was because you could get away with harder fouls. There was an intimidation factor. Teams played tighter against us, cause they knew if they didnt they'd get their ass beat. BAD.

phadedhawg

I was against it (but they didn't consult me) but now I generally approve of shorter shot clocks.  It's nice at the end of a game when you're trying to make a comeback.  Gives each team more possessions down the stretch when each possession matters more.